Connect with us

World

DR Congo repatriates three US citizens convicted over failed coup

Published

on

DR Congo repatriates three US citizens convicted over failed coup

Move coincides with DRC’s drive to sign minerals deal with US in exchange for security in war with Rwanda-backed rebels.

Three United States citizens initially sentenced to death in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) over a botched coup attempt have been repatriated after Kinshasa commuted their death sentences to life imprisonment last week.

Congolese presidential spokesperson Tina Salama said on Tuesday that the three men, including the son of political exile Christian Malanga, who led the attack on the presidential palace in May last year, would all serve out their life sentences in the US.

Marcel Malanga, 21, claimed he had been forced to take part by his father, who live-streamed from the palace during the coup attempt before being shot and killed by Congolese forces.

Also repatriated were Tyler Thompson Jr, 21, a friend of the younger Malanga, and Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, 36, who reportedly got to know the father through a gold mining company.

Advertisement

US Department of State spokesperson Tammy Bruce confirmed the transfer on Tuesday, saying that the US condemned the armed attacks and supported DR Congo’s bid to hold the convicts accountable, but that it also sought “consistent, compassionate, humane treatment and a fair legal process”.

When the US assumes custody of prisoners convicted abroad, it typically agrees to carry out the sentence of imprisonment designated by that country.

Jared Genser, a US-based international human rights attorney, said that lawyers representing the three could try to get their sentences reduced by arguing they signed their consents to the prisoner transfer treaty under duress.

“But it would be very hard to prevail in such a case as there would be enormous implications for other potential transfers in the future if the US failed to abide by such agreements,” Genser said.

Multibillion-dollar deal

The repatriation came amid efforts by Congolese authorities to sign a minerals deal with the US in exchange for security support that will help Kinshasa fight Rwanda-backed M23 rebels in the country’s conflict-hit east.

Advertisement

US senior adviser for Africa Massad Boulos said last week that the countries were in talks on the issue, adding that it could involve “multibillion-dollar investments”. The US has estimated that Congo has trillions of dollars in mineral wealth.

Boulos, whose son is married to US President Donald Trump’s daughter, is set to visit DR Congo to discuss tensions between the country and Rwanda.

News of the trio’s repatriation brought joy to the families. Miranda Thompson, stepmother of Thompson, who had flown to Africa from Utah for what his family believed was a free vacation, said the family was “excited” to have him return home.

A total of 37 people were sentenced to death in the purported coup attempt, also including a Belgian, Briton and Canadian, all naturalised Congolese.

The fate of the others was not immediately clear.

Advertisement

Family members last year said the men slept on the floor at a high-security military prison in Kinshasa, struggling with health issues and having to pay for food and hygiene products.

World

Trump Considers Building a Military Base in Gaza as Peace Plans Clash With Reality

Published

on

Israeli strikes on Gaza have killed about 600 people since a cease-fire began, according to health officials in the territory. Many displaced Palestinians are still living in tents. And there are some 60 million tons of war debris to be cleared.

Continue Reading

World

Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says

Published

on

Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran repositioned strike drones and other military assets under the cover of joint drills with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, a defense expert claimed.

In what he described as a “calculated escalation” amid rising tensions with the U.S., Cameron Chell said Iran’s latest move also followed reports of sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones with precision strike capabilities in the region.

“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell, of defense firm Draganfly, told Fox News Digital. “They’ve gone under the veil of doing the military exercises, which happened to be along the coastline, and this is an escalation.”

UK BLOCKS TRUMP FROM USING RAF AIR BASES FOR POTENTIAL IRAN ATTACK: REPORT

Advertisement

Defense expert Cameron Chell has called Iran’s military moves with Russia a “calculated escalation.”  (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The combined exercises, reported by The Associated Press, also came as President Donald Trump pressed Iran further to make a deal to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions following indirect talks in Geneva.

“We’re going to make a deal, or we’re going to get a deal one way or the other,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Thursday, signaling determination to secure an agreement.

MORNING GLORY: WHAT WILL PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP DECIDE TO DO WITH IRAN?

Iran’s latest moves reportedly follow sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones. (John Moore/Getty Images)

Advertisement

Meanwhile, on Feb. 18, U.S. Central Command posted photos showing F/A-18 Super Hornets landing on the decks of the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea.

Flight-tracking data in recent days also showed U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton surveillance drones operating near Iran’s coastline.

One Triton was observed Feb. 14 and another on Feb. 18, conducting high-altitude maritime intelligence missions over the Gulf.

“The U.S. deployed an MQ Triton drone, which is a surveillance drone, so it does not have strike capability, and it typically flies at around 50,000 feet,” Chell said.

He added the drones would likely launch from land bases in countries such as Saudi Arabia or Qatar and provide real-time situational awareness to naval commanders.

Advertisement

TRUMP’S SPECIAL ENVOY WITKOFF AND KUSHNER VISIT US AIRCRAFT CARRIER AMID IRAN TENSIONS, TALKS

“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell told Fox News Digital. (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

“These drones can guide the U.S. on Iranian forces performing exercises with the Russians and where they might be moving equipment to,” Chell said before describing how they fly them “at an altitude so that the Iranians can see it so they become a deterrent.”

Chell also said an MQ-9 Reaper drone was deployed, which he said can fly between 25,000 and 40,000 feet.

“This has strike capability, but Iranians do not have great capability to take these down,” he added.

Advertisement

As previously reported by Fox News Digital, the USS Gerald R. Ford, the second aircraft carrier Trump has sent to the Middle East, and its accompanying ships are heading across the Atlantic Ocean into the Mediterranean Sea.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

NATO country and U.S. ally Poland also warned its citizens Thursday to immediately flee Iran, with its prime minister saying the “possibility of a conflict is very real.”

Continue Reading

World

French far right asks European Parliament to mark death of activist Quentin Deranque

Published

on

Patriots for Europe is seeking a minute of silence int he European Parliament for Quentin Deranque, a French far-right activist who died after a brawl with left-wing activists in Lyon, during a session dedicated to the anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Continue Reading

Trending