World
Trial Starts for Nicolas Sarkozy in Libya Election Case
Former President Nicolas Sarkozy of France on Monday went on trial in Paris over accusations that his 2007 campaign received illegal financing from the Libyan government of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi.
The trial, which is scheduled to last three months, is far from the first for Mr. Sarkozy, 69, a conservative politician who led France from 2007 to 2012, but it represents one of the most serious legal threats to the French politician since he left office.
Just last month, Mr. Sarkozy exhausted his final appeal in a separate corruption and influence peddling case, making him the first former French president sentenced to actual detention, though he will serve his time under house arrest with an electronic bracelet.
But of all the legal cases against Mr. Sarkozy, the Libya one is among the most sprawling, convoluted and explosive. It involves accusations that his campaign illegally accepted vast sums of money from Colonel Qaddafi, the former Libyan strongman who was killed by opposition fighters in 2011.
Mr. Sarkozy, who arrived in court without making any comments, has denied wrongdoing. He could face up to 10 years in prison and be fined nearly $400,000.
Here is what you need to know about the case.
What is the trial about?
Mr. Sarkozy is facing charges of illegal campaign financing, criminal conspiracy, concealing the misappropriation of public funds and passive corruption (a charge that applies to people suspected of receiving money or favors).
The case against him involves a complex web of political and financial ties between Mr. Sarkozy’s advisers, officials who were part of Colonel Qaddafi’s government, and businessmen or bankers who acted as intermediaries.
Twelve other people were also ordered to stand trial on similar corruption, embezzlement or illegal campaign financing charges.
“Our thesis is that of a corruption pact,” Jean-François Bohnert, France’s top financial prosecutor, told RMC radio on Monday.
Prosecutors say that Mr. Sarkozy and his allies sought financing from Libya, in violation of election funding rules, and that the Libyan government promised to provide it. In return, they said, it wanted economic deals, diplomatic recognition and possibly assistance from France in rescinding an arrest warrant against a top Libyan official.
Mr. Sarkozy visited Libya shortly after he was elected, then welcomed Colonel Qaddafi for a widely-criticized state visit in Paris, where the Libyan strongman memorably pitched his Bedouin-style tent.
How did the case start?
In 2011, as Libya was roiled by fighting between the army and rebels, Colonel Qaddafi and his son said in media interviews that Mr. Sarkozy’s 2007 presidential campaign had taken Libyan money.
Then, in 2012, the investigative news website Mediapart published a document, presented as a note by Libya’s secret services, that mentioned a deal to fund Mr. Sarkozy’s campaign with up to 50 million euros, or about $52 million. That same year, as part of a separate investigation, Ziad Takieddine, a French-Lebanese businessman, made a similar allegation.
In 2013, prosecutors opened an investigation. It lasted a decade and involvedover 20 countries, 50 police raids and 70 volumes of case files.
How has Mr. Sarkozy responded?
Mr. Sarkozy has repeatedly and strenuously denied the accusations, which he argues were driven mostly by allies of Colonel Qaddafi seeking revenge.
Under Mr. Sarkozy’s leadership, France played a prominent role in the NATO-led campaign of airstrikes that ultimately led to the toppling of Colonel Qaddafi and his death at the hands of Libyan rebels.
There have been conflicting accounts about the sequence of events and the amounts of money involved, and some of the defendants have shifted their versions of what happened.
Some Libyan officials have even denied that Mr. Sarkozy’s campaign received any funding, and Mr. Sarkozy’s legal team has seized on the vagaries of the case.
“We don’t even have the amount of this alleged illegal financing,” Christophe Ingrain, Mr. Sarkozy’s lawyer, told RTL radio on Sunday. “Sometimes it’s in euros, sometimes in dollars, sometimes in dinars, sometimes 2 million, 3 million, 50 million, 400 million. This isn’t serious.”
Mr. Sarkozy’s official records for the 2007 campaign indicated that he spent over €21 million, and any illicit financing from Libya would have enabled him to skirt France’s strict spending cap for presidential campaigns. Prosecutors have not clearly laid out how much Libya actually sent or how much they believe was actually spent on the campaign. But under French law, prosecutors do not have to prove that a corrupt deal was carried out to secure a conviction — only that one was agreed upon.
Mr. Sarkozy no longer holds public office. But his memoirs are best-sellers, he is still popular with the base of his conservative party and he retains some political influence.
Has Mr. Sarkozy been convicted before?
Yes, twice. Mr. Sarkozy has faced multiple accusations of financial impropriety since he left office.
In 2021, he became the first former president in France’s recent history to be sentenced to actual detention after he was convicted of trying to obtain information from a judge about a court case against him.
Mr. Sarkozy has exhausted his appeal options in that case, but he will not be incarcerated. Instead, he will serve one year under house arrest with an electronic bracelet, although a judge has not yet ruled on the practical details.
Mr. Sarkozy was also convicted in 2021 to a year of house arrest for illegally financing his unsuccessful 2012 re-election campaign, which wildly exceeded France’s spending limits. An appeals court last year upheld the conviction but halved his sentence, and that case is still going through the appeals process.
Other cases against Mr. Sarkozy have been dropped, including one in which we was accused of manipulating the heiress to the L’Oréal fortune into financing his 2007 campaign.
And some cases are still being investigated, including an offshoot of the Libya case. In 2023, Mr. Sarkozy was placed under formal investigation on charges of witness tampering, after allegations that his allies pressured Mr. Takieddine, the French-Lebanese businessman, into retracting his accusations.
World
Video: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
new video loaded: ‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
transcript
transcript
‘Good Progress’ in U.S.-Iran Talks, Iranian Official Says
Indirect talks between American and Iranian officials in Geneva on Tuesday ended with the two sides agreeing to “a set of guiding principles,” according to the Iranian foreign minister.
-
“So I’ll be involved in those talks indirectly. And they’ll be very important. We’ll see what can happen. It’s been typically — Iran’s a very tough negotiator. “We’ve been told that a deal is next to impossible.” “No, no. I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal. They want to make a deal.”
By Monika Cvorak and Jamie Leventhal
February 17, 2026
World
Peru sinks deeper into chaos as seventh president in ten years ousted in ‘Chifagate’ scandal
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Peru’s interim president was removed from office Tuesday over corruption allegations, further destabilizing the country ahead of April’s presidential and congressional elections, according to reports.
José Jerí’s ouster follows an ongoing scandal called “Chifagate,” in which he was allegedly filmed at an undisclosed meeting with a Chinese businessman who holds a concession for an energy project, the Associated Press reported.
Jeri was also said to have met with another business person, reportedly under investigation for alleged involvement in illegal logging.
Lawmakers removed him by voting to censure him as head of Congress, which needed only a simple majority and automatically stripped him of the presidency.
WHO IS THE POPULIST CONSERVATIVE PRESIDENT-ELECT IN COSTA RICA?
Peru’s Congress ousted President Jose Jeri following a scandal over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman in Lima. (REUTERS/Angela Ponce)
Jerí has said he will respect the outcome of the vote, has denied wrongdoing and will return to his role as a legislator, Reuters reported.
Tuesday’s ousting vote marks the latest twist in a prolonged political crisis that has seen seven presidents since 2016.
Jerí had assumed the post on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte.
Right-wing parties that had backed Boluarte withdrew support amid further corruption scandals. Since Boluarte had no vice president, Jerí, then head of Congress, was next in line.
Lawmakers will now elect a new head of Congress, who will also assume the presidency until July 28, 2026, when the winner of the April 12 election is sworn in.
TRUMP ADMIN WARNS PERU IT COULD LOSE SOVEREIGNTY AS CHINA TIGHTENS GRIP ON NATION
Jerí had assumed the post of president on Oct. 10, 2025, after the dismissal of his predecessor, Dina Boluarte. (Alexi J. Rosenfeld/Getty Images)
As the country heads toward the next vote, the presidential field remains crowded.
Conservative businessman Rafael López Aliaga currently leads in polls, while Keiko Fujimori, the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori, is running second in most others.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Fujimori narrowly lost her last presidential bid, securing 49% of the vote in 2021. If no candidate wins more than 50% in April, the top two finishers will advance to a June runoff.
Rospigliosi said parties have until 6 p.m. local time to present candidates, and the legislature is expected to vote on a new president Feb. 18.
World
Romanian minister backs EU joint debt in push to reboot economy
Romania’s Finance Minister Alexandru Nazare told Euronews that he supports various measures being floated in the European Union to ensure the bloc can regain its competitive edge and boost investments.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Nazare’s comments came days following an informal EU summit focused on finding new ways to revive the bloc’s stagnant economy. One of the proposals at the forefront of this meeting was a two-speed union that allows at least nine countries to join forces and adopt initiatives that could not otherwise be approved due to a lack of consensus.
Nazare threw his support behind this measure.
“Romania supports the Capital Markets package [aimed at creating a single, integrated market for capital], Romania supports the Saving and Investments union,” he said on Euronews’ 12 Minutes with.
“I have always said we need to accelerate this package. If this format (two-speed union) will accelerate some of the files that we already have in EcoFin (Economic and Financial Affairs Council), I think that’s a good idea,” he said.
This legal tool of enhanced cooperation rose to prominence last year after EU leaders decided to issue a €90 billion loan to Ukraine without the approval of Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic, a shift which seems to indicate leaders now favour speed over unanimity.
E6 could be ‘very good’ for Europe
Nazare backed the new elite club of the EU’s economies dubbed “the E6”, which hosts Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and Poland.
This formation met for the second time on Monday on the sidelines of the Eurogroup meeting, this time to discuss how to speed up plans to integrate the bloc’s capital markets. But this spurred fears, including in Ireland, that smaller countries’ interests could be bulldozed.
“I think we should see what will eventually come out of the E6,” the Romanian minister said, adding that he discussed this with his French and German counterparts on the fringes of the EcoFin meeting on Tuesday.
“I don’t think they plan to leave anybody behind,” he said. “I think they planned to solve some of the critical issues that are on the table. And if they succeed, it’s a very good thing for Europe.”
Nazare also supported French-backed proposals for a “Made in Europe” strategy, which would introduce minimum European content requirements for goods produced locally, a topic also raised at last week’s summit.
“It (‘Made in Europe’) supports the strategic autonomy that we’re discussing,” he said. “I mean, this should be a European project. And this is the core of the project. […] Ever since the European Union was created, this was the entire idea behind it, that it should be one powerful, pan-European bloc.”
Asked whether this could damage Romanian and European relations with key trading partners like the United States, Nazare emphasised the importance of an investment-friendly environment in Europe.
“Now we have €300 billion of our savings that are invested abroad. If we ensure that these billions invested abroad are invested in Europe, this is very good for Europe,” he said. “So we don’t necessarily have to look at the competitiveness. We have to look at how to better use the savings that we already have.”
Another idea on the table in Brussels, also pushed by the French, is issuing common EU debt — Eurobonds — aimed at boosting investment in strategic sectors such as green tech, defence and security.
Nazare defended this proposal, pointing to the fact that the EU had used it in the past for NextGenEU (to reboot the European economy after the COVID-19 pandemic).
“I think this is aligned with our strategic priorities, and definitely it responds to the investment the European economy needs in certain strategic fields like AI, for instance,” he said.
The idea of using joint debt to boost competitiveness was also supported by former Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi, who authored an influential 2024 report on competitiveness. However, it is now facing stiff pushback from Germany and some of the generally frugal northern member states.
Romania’s sky-high deficit
Nazare also reflected on the fact that Romania has the highest budget deficit in the EU, arguing that the situation had improved in recent months.
“I would say that conditions related to Romania […] and the way Romania is perceived in the Council are much better now,” he said. “We gained trust. We not only met the deficit targets for 2025, but we overperformed by 0.7%.” The budget deficit target for 2026 is around 6%.
The coalition government led by Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan took tough measures in the second half of last year to bring down its budget deficit, including austerity packages which will put a 10% cut on the salary fund of public institutions. The move has sparked protests.
The country of almost 19 million is under intense pressure from the European Commission to bring the deficit below 3% of GDP. Because it currently exceeds this value, Romania is under the EU’s excessive deficit procedure (EDP), a mechanism designed to bring discipline to governments’ budgets.
“Our ambition regarding where we want to see the Romanian economy needs to change,” Nazare said. “To do this, of course, we need to exit the excessive deficit procedure, where we spent too much time in the last five years.” He said he hopes to exit this procedure by 2029 or 2030.
He added that exiting the procedure is also crucial for Romania’s progress toward adopting the euro.
“We cannot discuss the euro before we get out of the procedure,” he said. “So this is a prerequisite and this is very important project for Romania that fiscal discipline comes back, [that we put in place] measures to support the economy and to support growth.”
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Science1 week agoTorrance residents call for the ban of ‘flesh-eating’ chemical used at refinery
-
Politics1 week agoWest Virginia worked with ICE — 650 arrests later, officials say Minnesota-style ‘chaos’ is a choice
-
Health6 days agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Science1 week agoVideo: Why Mountain Lions in California Are Threatened
-
Politics5 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Atlanta, GA6 days agoFulton County man arrested after SWAT standoff over alleged dog beheading