South
Buttigieg's message on restricting civilian drones near Hurricane Helene damage prompts outcry, clarification
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) clarified a message that warned civilian drone pilots not to fly near Hurricane Helene recovery and rescue efforts — or risk penalty, fines or “criminal prosecution” — after facing intense backlash online.
Reached by Fox News Digital, a DOT spokesperson said civilian drone pilots are permitted and are assisting in rescue and recovery efforts, and previous “temporary flight restrictions” have since been lifted.
Some X users — collectively with millions of followers — reacted adversely to a message addressed to drone pilots and with accompanying video from Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg shared by the department earlier this week. The message and video argued the restrictions would prohibit civilian volunteers from legally searching for victims or survivors when response time matters most or capturing their own footage of the disaster.
“The USDOT tweet from yesterday was referring to temporary flight restrictions that were in place but were lifted late last night,” a DOT spokesperson told Fox News Digital Thursday, citing the FAA.
TRUMP TARGETS BIDEN, HARRIS OVER FEDERAL RESPONSE TO HURRICANE: ‘INCOMPETENTLY MANAGED’
The spokesperson explained the FAA “is not banning drones from providing Hurricane Helene disaster relief and recovery assistance.”
“At times, local authorities and law enforcement request the Federal Aviation Administration issue a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) in order to ensure safety for aircraft or drones operating in certain areas,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “These restrictions occur at the request of local authorities or law enforcement. FAA does not put these into place without requests.”
The spokesperson said such restrictions apply to both manned and unmanned aircraft, or drones.
“With proper authorization, drones (and other aircraft) are permitted to operate within a Temporary Flight Restriction,” the statement continued. “These are only for limited areas identified by law enforcement and local authorities.
“Relief operations, including civilian operations and volunteers, that are coordinated with emergency responders can still access the airspace during these restrictions. Anyone looking to use a drone or other aircraft to assist in Hurricane Helene disaster relief and recovery efforts should coordinate with first responders and law enforcement on scene to ensure they do not disrupt life-saving operations.”
President Biden speaks alongside Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg during a briefing on Hurricane Helene response and recovery efforts in the Roosevelt Room of the White House Oct. 1, 2024, in Washington, D.C. (Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images)
The clarification comes after the DOT posted to X Wednesday, writing: “Drone pilots: Do not fly your drone near or around rescue and recovery efforts for Hurricane Helene. Interfering with emergency response operations impacts search and rescue operations on the ground.”
In an attached video message, Buttigieg said, “Our goal is to make sure that funding is no obstacle to very quickly getting people the relief that they need and deserve.
“There’s also some safety issues that come up. For example, temporary flight restrictions to make sure that the airspace is clear for any flights or drone activity that might be involved in helping to allow those emergency responders to do their jobs.”
The post pointed to the account for FAADroneZone, the Federal Aviation Administration’s site for drone activity.
“Interfering with emergency response efforts may result in fines or criminal prosecution,” FAADroneZone wrote, reposting Buttigieg’s remarks. “Always check Temporary Flight Restrictions before you fly.”
Search and rescue team members hike along North Carolina Route 9 in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene Oct. 1, 2024, in Bat Cave, N.C. (Sean Rayford/Getty Images)
The posts quickly received heavy criticism on social media.
“The statement from Buttigieg comes as the federal government continues to shuffle its feet to help people in need,” Trending Politics co-owner Collin Rugg wrote to his 1.5 million followers on X.
NORTH CAROLINA COMMUNITY ‘HUNTING’ FOR MISSING TEACHERS IN ‘DEVASTATING’ AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE HELENE
“Kamala Harris announced that survivors could potentially get $750 in federal assistance,” Rugg added. “Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas says FEMA doesn’t have enough money to make it through hurricane season after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on illegals.”
“U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg tells Americans to stop using drones to help victims of Hurricane Helene. They’re using drones to FIND SURVIVORS,” podcaster Chad Prather wrote to his 496,800 followers.
“Pete Buttigieg has declared that private drones are BANNED from flying over areas affected by Hurricane Helene. They’re deliberately impeding the ability of volunteers to assist in search and rescue and documenting the extent of the disaster,” conservative journalist Ian Miles Cheong, who has 1.1 million followers on X, added.
The remnants of a home are seen in Lake Lure, N.C., Oct. 2, 2024, after the passage of Hurricane Helene. (Allison Joyce/AFP via Getty Images)
The death toll from Hurricane Helene surpassed 200 people across affected states as of Thursday. Hundreds remain unaccounted for in the aftermath.
Buttigieg visited FEMA headquarters and joined Cabinet members Tuesday to brief President Biden at the White House on the destruction of Hurricane Helene.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The FAA, meanwhile, deployed teams “to restore communications to impacted towers and airports, including delivering satellite communications kits to the Asheville Regional Airport in North Carolina and ongoing work at Valdosta Regional Airport in Georgia,” the DOT said Tuesday.
“FAA supported FEMA with two aircraft to conduct flyover assessments and transport emergency personnel and gear, such as satellite communications kits. FAA is also monitoring fuel supplies at several airports in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina that are experiencing reduced fuel delivery due to storm impacts on fuel suppliers.”
Dallas, TX
The art of showing up: how two Dallas women paint a new vision for relief
Compassion does not wait for perfect conditions. It does not pause for bureaucratic gridlock, nor does it ask for permission to act. It simply looks at the human condition and decides to intervene. In Dallas, this relentless brand of empathy has a name, a pulse and a vibrant color palette, largely thanks to the Rio Valley Relief Project and the two dynamic women steering its course: Jackie Claudet Mitterer and Cassie Stewart.
Together, they operate at the delicate intersection of human suffering and creative resilience. Their work is a testament to the idea that helping others is not just a logistical challenge, but an art form. By bridging the gap between those who need shelter, food or a welcoming hand, and a city eager to give, Mitterer and Stewart are proving that unity is built one quiet act of kindness at a time.
A mission rooted in nimble compassion
The Rio Valley Relief Project began as a response to acute human crises, providing support to refugees, asylum seekers and other displaced families arriving in the area. Over time, it has evolved into a sustainable force for community care. The organization thrives on its ability to adapt. Whether they are stocking food pantries or setting up apartments for new arrivals, the goal remains fiercely simple.
“It’s helping people feel connected enough to care and then giving them a way to help,” Mitterer tells the Observer. “We’re good about looking at the human needs in front of us and shifting and pivoting where we need to.”
Stewart, whose background in the school system deeply informs her approach to the project, echoes this sentiment. The focus is always on the families and the tangible realities they face daily.
“A lot of it comes from staying close to the families that we serve,” Stewart says. “I can lean into that community and the partnerships and the creative thinkers around me, and that’s usually where the most resourceful solutions come from for me, for us.”
Weathering the political storm
Providing relief in Texas is rarely just about logistics. It’s inherently tied to the shifting sands of border policies and political climates. Both women acknowledge the hurdles that come with their chosen path, yet they refuse to let changing laws paralyze their mission.
“Some of the policies over the past several years have made the work harder,” Stewart admits. She notes that the shifting landscape “has increased suffering for families that we care about, but the need doesn’t go away.”
Even as migration patterns fluctuate, the requirement for human dignity remains constant.
“Policies change,” Stewart says. “And now we’re finding ourselves in a different situation where people are coming. It’s slowed dramatically.”
To combat this, the duo focuses on building long-term infrastructure rather than just applying temporary bandages.
“We’re beginning to be more intentional about creating consistent support systems, especially in schools and with families, so that what we’re doing isn’t just reactive but lasting,” Stewart shares. “We’ve both worked in the school system, so we feel a draw to that as well and have connections there.”
The canvas of service
For Mitterer, the drive to serve is woven into her DNA, inextricably linked to her own family history and her life as a creator. She views her artistic endeavors and her humanitarian work as two sides of the same coin.
“My way to connect is through service,” she says. “I am a daughter of immigrants. I am the granddaughter of immigrants to so many places. There is migration in my story forever.”
Service, she admits with a refreshing dose of honesty, is mutually beneficial.

Courtesy of the Rio Valley Relief Project
“In my case, it keeps me centered,” Mitterer says.”My head is a trip. My soul is happy. Art and service center me. My mother, she and I will say it is self-serving. Give the good, the good part of myself.”
This profound connection to the human experience spills over into their view of everyday interactions: You do not need a grand platform to make a difference. Mitterer believes deeply in the micro-moments of empathy.
“You don’t need to have an organization and do a 501(c)(3),” she says. “It doesn’t need to be a perfect setting to be a helper. You just do something, invite a cup of tea, make a phone call, ask about how their day is going.”
Dallas: A unifying backdrop
The Rio Valley Relief Project does not exist in a vacuum. It draws its lifeblood from the generous, creative spirit of Dallas. Both women see the city not just as a location, but as an active participant in their work.
“Dallas is aware and values the creativity in people,” Mitterer says. “Dallas is perfect for that. There is so much to do and there is interest and it is a unifier.”
The duo has found that when they call on the community, it always answers.
“When we were setting up apartments, it’s amazing what people will gather for us. We get to be in the space where we see people show up, and it’s really great,” Mitterer says. “You see the loop full of artists, mural artists… it is becoming a scene. We can just be whoever we want and the way we want and be genuine… Dallas is fantastic in that way.”
It’s a city where, as she puts it, they can be “the quiet person who keeps showing up and doing the work. We hug and we hold space… We hold space for everybody.”
Through the Rio Valley Relief Project, Stewart and Mitterer remind us that service is not a rigid obligation. It’s a fluid, evolving practice of human connection. Whether they are coordinating resources for a disadvantaged school, setting up a living room for a displaced family or pressing vibrant mosaic tiles onto a canvas, they are building a masterpiece of community care.
“Come learn what we do. Laugh with us,” Mitterer invites. “And if you want to be part of it, come learn and do your thing. But do something if you can, when you can, how you can, however big or small.”
To learn more about the impactful work of the Rio Valley Relief Project and discover ways to contribute, visit their website.
Miami, FL
Messi’s goal, assist lead Inter Miami to 2-0 win over Portland and first at new stadium
Lionel Messi had a goal and assisted on another as Inter Miami won its first game at Nu Stadium, 2-0 over the Portland Timbers on Sunday.
German Berterame also scored for Inter Miami, which had three draws and a loss at its new 26,000-seat stadium before Sunday’s victory.
Messi opened the scoring with his 13th goal of the season in the 31st minute. Luis Suárez sent a pass inside to Telasco Segovia, who flicked a pass on to Messi, who beat Portland goalkeeper James Pantemis from 12 yards.
Inter Miami padded the lead on Berterame’s goal in the 42nd minute. Messi dribbled past two defenders and centered to Berterame, who converted inside the left post.
The Timbers had the first scoring threat when Inter Miami goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair deflected Cole Bassett’s shot from the edge of the large area in the 11th minute.
The familiar singing, cheering, flag waving and drum beating from Inter Miami’s organized supporters’ groups “La Familia” were absent until late in the match. The groups reportedly are upset that the players have not acknowledged their presence in the new stadium and remained silent as a form of protest before they began singing in the 85th minute.
The match was the first between the teams since Portland coach Phil Neville was fired as Inter Miami’s coach in 2023, shortly before Messi started playing for the Herons.
Neville is close friends with Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham and told reporters after the Timbers got to South Florida late last week that he was aware Messi choosing Miami would likely mean a coaching change. The club has had four coaches since, including two interim bosses, all of them from Messi’s native Argentina.
“At the start of the (2023) season, I was under no illusions that probably when/if he came in that I wouldn’t be here, and that’s totally fine,” Neville said, referring to Messi. “I understood football.”
Sunday was also the first Inter Miami match since the team revealed that forward Tadeo Allende had what was described as successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee “to address the discomfort he had been experiencing in recent weeks.” There’s no timetable for his return.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/soccer
Atlanta, GA
Police investigating fatal shooting in Stone Mountain
ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) — Detectives are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred Sunday afternoon in Stone Mountain.
Around 2 p.m., DeKalb police officers responded to the area of Martins Crossing and Hemingway Road after receiving reports of a person shot, authorities said.
When officers arrived, they found a victim who had been shot. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives are still working to determine what led up to the incident, officials said.
Return to Atlanta News First for updates.
Copyright 2026 WANF. All rights reserved.
-
New York2 minutes agoRead the complaint filed against a top militia commander linked to Iran.
-
Los Angeles, Ca8 minutes agoLong Beach man arrested for murder in deadly hit-and-run crash
-
Detroit, MI32 minutes agoPistons’ playoff run ends in Game 7 blowout to Cavaliers
-
San Francisco, CA44 minutes agoSan Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak
-
Dallas, TX50 minutes agoThe art of showing up: how two Dallas women paint a new vision for relief
-
Miami, FL56 minutes agoMessi’s goal, assist lead Inter Miami to 2-0 win over Portland and first at new stadium
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoFire breaks out at East Boston home, spreads to neighboring buildings
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoNuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats