Seattle, WA
Seattle Seahawks Set Initial 15-Player Practice Squad
The Seattle Seahawks, on the heels of putting together their initial 53-man roster, set their first 15-player practice squad on Wednesday, all of whom were waived or released by the team on Tuesday.
There were only a few minor surprises as rookie sixth-round cornerback D.J. James was not re-signed and the team did not add a third quarterback to carry on its practice squad, yet. Both of those situations could change, as Seattle still has two practice squad spots remaining.
The Seahawks did retain offensive tackle Max Pircher as part of the 15 members, who doesn’t count against the 16-player limit as an International Pathway Program player.
Rookie seventh-round linebacker Michael Barrett was also brought back after being waived Tuesday. Seattle sent veteran cornerback Mike Jackson to the Carolina Panthers for Barrett in a one-for-one player swap on Thursday, Aug. 22.
Former 2022 fifth-round pick Tyreke Smith was reportedly set to sign to Seattle’s practice squad as well, per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. Smith was not part of the initial group, but could still be added in the coming days. That would leave the Seahawks with one open spot.
Here’s the full list of players re-signed to Seattle’s practice squad following a busy beginning of the week for the team’s front office and coaching staff.
* International Pathway Program player doesn’t count against 16-player practice squad limit
Seattle, WA
Expert view: What to know as Seattle Seahawks go up for sale
The Paul G. Allen Estate, which has owned the Seattle Seahawks since Allen died in 2018, announced Wednesday that it has officially begun the process of putting the franchise up for sale.
Seahawks for sale: A ‘secret list’ and how much they’re worth
As the sale process gets underway, what are some key things to know?
Former Green Bay Packers vice president Andrew Brandt, who also formerly worked as a legal and business analyst for ESPN, joined Seattle Sports’ Wyman and Bob on Wednesday to break it all down.
Here are some highlights from what Brandt said.
The price will be ‘astounding’
The Seahawks are widely expected to set the league record for the price of an NFL franchise, surpassing the $6.05 billion the Washington Commanders sold for back in 2023.
Last August, Forbes valued the Seahawks at $6.7 billion, which ranked 14th among NFL teams. However, the Seahawks’ value has likely risen after capturing the franchise’s second Super Bowl title earlier this month.
“It’s going to be astounding,” Brandt said. “… We could see numbers north of $7 billion for this franchise.”
How much did value increase from Super Bowl win?
According to ESPN, the Seahawks are the first team to be put up for sale following a Super Bowl victory.
It’s a bit reminiscent of the Boston Celtics, who were put on the market just two weeks after winning the NBA title in the summer of 2024.
“The obvious point is you’re really selling high,” Brandt said. “It’s like a player coming off an incredible season heading into free agency. It’s coming off the best season possible, best result possible.
“It reminds me of the Boston Celtics two years ago that went up for sale while the confetti was still in the air. And that’s kind of happening here.”
However, Brandt said the Seahawks’ long track record of success and bright future are more important to the franchise’s overall value. The Seahawks’ roster is stocked with young talent and they have what’s quickly become one of the league’s best general manager-head coach duos in longtime GM John Schneider and 38-year-old rising star Mike Macdonald.
“I think the bigger thing is this has an opportunity to continue,” Brandt said. “This is not going to be a fly-by-night.”
Private equity could be involved
In 2024, NFL owners voted to allow private equity firms to buy minority stakes in NFL teams. The maximum total private equity share for a franchise is capped at 10% and limited to passive ownership, which means private equity firms don’t have voting or decision-making power with the team.
“There’s obviously never going to be a controlling interest (through private equity), but I would expect some of that,” Brandt said. “I would expect one or multiple billionaires, and some private equity cash infusion supporting the bid that is just there to provide passive money.”
The sale process
NFL ownership rules require the controlling owner to own at least 30% of the franchise, while limiting the total number of owners to 25. The sale also requires approval from at least 24 of the league’s 32 owners.
Brandt was asked about the perception that the rest of the NFL’s owners hold significant sway over the sale process.
“In my discussions with the NFL over the years, I think some of that’s overblown,” Brandt said. “I think they look for someone – like anyone would – that just has incredibly substantial resources, because they’re going to be a partner.
“And when you look for a partner in business, you want to know that they’ve got a backstop that is unbelievably stable.”
The Allen estate selected investment bank Allen & Company and law firm Latham & Watkins to lead the sale process. Brandt said Allen & Company is a “staple” around the NFL.
“Lots of teams have used Allen & Company,” Brandt said. “This is kind of known territory for the NFL. And the NFL has a finance committee. They’re going to vet all these bidders and come down to five, or three, or two, and then put it to the membership.”
What about Bezos?
As people begin to speculate potential ownership candidates, one of the most common names has been Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.
However, Brandt isn’t sure Bezos would be interested in owning a team, given that Amazon Prime already is the exclusive home of the NFL’s “Thursday Night Football.”
“People today have already asked me about Bezos,” Brandt said. “I think Bezos, to me, I’m just saying my personal opinion – why would he want a team? He’s got all 32 teams.
“He owns ‘Thursday Night Football,’ so you’ve got ’em all for a much cheaper price than owning a team.”
Listen to the full conversation with Andrew Brandt at this link or in the audio player near the top of this story. Tune into Wyman and Bob weekdays from 2-7 p.m. or find the podcast on the Seattle Sports app.
More Seattle Seahawks coverage
• Reaction: What the Seattle Seahawks need in their next owner
• Seattle Seahawks officially being put up for sale by Paul Allen estate
• Report: Seahawks hiring Northern Illinois’ Hammock to coach RBs
• Brock: Upcoming draft comes with good news for Seahawks
• 3 things to know about reported new Seattle Seahawks OC
Seattle, WA
Seattle’s first homicide of 2026 is a case that began more than 50 years ago
SEATTLE – In 1973, a 19-year-old man was shot near Garfield High School, a tragedy that left him paralyzed for the rest of his life. The medical examiner has now officially ruled his recent death a homicide — a rare “delayed death” directly linked to those decades-old injuries.
Prosecutors say the case is legally closed because the suspects are now dead. Still, it raises a question: What happens to cases that don’t end with an arrest?
Local perspective:
Detective Rolf Norton has dedicated his career to finding answers in cases many assume are over. Norton refuses to call them “cold cases.” He insists they are not forgotten or “sitting on the shelf collecting dust.”
For Norton, they are not over — just unfinished.
Norton has been with Seattle police for 31 years, including the past 24 in homicide.
What they’re saying:
“There is no greater mission working homicides is what I wanted to do when I first got hired,” Norton said.
Waking up every day, he said, is easy. The challenge, fulfillment, significance and importance are why he doesn’t hesitate when he talks about murder investigations.
“There is no other crime that comes to the level of homicide. It’s the Fifth Commandment; it’s the foundation of society. It begins and ends with ‘We won’t kill each other,’ and to be tasked with investigating those crimes is really a great honor,” Norton said.
A Seattle native and graduate of the University of Washington, Norton worked as a legal assistant for the King County Prosecutor’s Office before being hired by Seattle police in 1994, when the city had about 500,000 residents.
“Flash me back to 1994 — I take a look, and then take the blindfold off. In 2026, I’ll look around, and I won’t recognize it,” Norton said.
Policing has changed, too — no body cameras then, no doorbell cameras, and certainly no security footage on every block.
“If the Green River Killer had been active in 2026 instead of 1983, we would have had him after number one or number two, because we would have had him on camera,” Norton said, referring to the serial killer who terrorized the region in the 1980s.
Dig deeper:
DNA technology has also evolved dramatically over the past two decades, from limited testing in the late 1990s to breakthroughs in genetic genealogy that help identify suspects decades later.
“In the past, it’s been more about, ‘We have this result. What can we do with it? How can we interpret it? How can we make it better?’ Now it’s — we go back to the start, starting from scratch. It’s crazy, and I’m excited with the optimism that all this brings,” Norton said.
Even with new tools, not every case has an ending.
“I’m on a one-person mission to change the vernacular. I can’t stand the word ‘cold case,’” Norton said. “I don’t call them cold cases because I’m working them.”
He says they are not binders that have sat untouched for decades at the bottom of a vault.
“If you walked into my office, I probably have 100 case files, and they’re all piled up in a very organized manner for me,” Norton said.
These are not just files — they are the names of someone’s loved one. Norton says he takes them home mentally and, at times, physically.
“There’s been some cases where I’ve printed out the original follow-up that the initial detectives produced, and have left them at every sleeping area in my house, and sometimes just pick it up and start reading saying, ‘What did I miss?’” Norton said.
Why you should care:
One of the cases he has carried for a decade is the killing of 14-year-old Tanya Frazier, who was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and murdered in 1994. An arrest was finally made last year, more than 30 years later.
“I’m pleased we got to where we are today, that we have made an arrest, but the process isn’t done,” Norton said.
Another case is “Baby Boy Doe,” found dead in November 1997 in a north Seattle gas station trash can after his mother delivered him and left him to die. Despite police sharing images of the mother walking toward the restroom, the case remained unsolved for years.
“I come to the photos of Baby Doe in a garbage can and it’s mind-blowing. Frankly, it’s life-changing, you see something that you immediately want to file away and never go back to, but you can’t because you have a job, a mission, and no one is looking out for baby doe, except for us,” Norton said, describing the crime scene photos publicly for the first time.
The mother, Christine Warren, was convicted in January 2023, but for years many believed the case would never be solved.
“It’s important to know that this child wasn’t forgotten,” said Casey McNerthney of the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
McNerthney said the same goes for the case of Joseph Garrett, even though it cannot be prosecuted.
Garrett was 19 when, according to a brief three-paragraph article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, he was shot in the shoulder during a fight with another teen near Garfield High School. The bullet lodged in his spine, paralyzing him.
“It’s encouraging to see that Ralph Norton would see how police was on top of this one,” McNerthney said. “Many of the cases that people assume aren’t being looked at are actually on his desk.”
He also offered a warning.
“If somebody thinks they’ve gotten away with it because it’s a few years, or even a few decades in the past, they’re wrong. If you never know when that knock on the door will come, and at some point it will come,” McNerthney said.
For families, he added, time feels different.
“We know that for the surviving family members in these cases, every day is like the day they found out,” McNerthney said.
Norton acknowledges that being the face of that pain is not easy.
“You’re the face of the worst thing that ever happened to them and the family members, and you don’t always have good news,” Norton said.
When asked how he moves forward in each case knowing many remain unsolved for families, Norton said, “I think you need to focus on the process and not the result, and you need to be cognizant of what you can address today.”
The odds are not always in his favor.
“It’s tough. These cases are unsolved not because of a lack of effort. They’re unsolved because they’re difficult,” Norton said.
When asked what he would say to families still waiting for answers, Norton did not pause.
“I remember, we remember, I won’t quit. We won’t quit,” Norton said.
Norton has reviewed more than 600 unsolved cases dating from 1907 to 2020. During a recent interview, he shared a list of 13 names — cases for which he is the lead detective and continues to update families.
He is waiting for DNA technology to keep improving, hoping it will one day give families closure. While he does not promise resolutions, he wants families to know their loved ones are not far from his reach.
MORE NEWS ON FOX 13 SEATTLE
Two skiers rescued in separate backcountry incidents near Mount Baker in WA
Reptile Zoo says goodbye to Monroe, WA community following attempts to save business
Costco launches mobile app ordering for custom cakes and deli trays, easing customer woes
Mom urges son’s killer to come forward after Seattle shooting in Pioneer Square
Young 12’s lost football at Seattle parade leads to call from Seahawk, community response
To get the best local news, weather and sports in Seattle for free, sign up for the daily FOX Seattle Newsletter.
Download the free FOX LOCAL app for mobile in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for live Seattle news, top stories, weather updates and more local and national news.
The Source: Information in this story comes from original reporting by FOX 13 Seattle reporter Alejandra Guzman.
Seattle, WA
Paul Allen’s estate begins process to sell Seattle Seahawks
SEATTLE — The Seattle Seahawks are going up for sale in accordance with the wishes of late team owner Paul Allen.
Allen’s estate announced Wednesday that it has begun the process of selling the team, which is just coming off its second Super Bowl victory in franchise history.
Investment bank Allen & Company and law firm Latham & Watkins will lead the sales process, which is estimated to continue through the offseason. NFL owners must then ratify a final purchase agreement.
The estate said the sale is consistent with Allen’s directive to eventually sell his sports holdings and direct all estate proceeds to philanthropy.
The Seahawks have been in the Allen family since 1997, when Paul bought the Seahawks for $194 million from then-owner Ken Behring.
Since Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, died in 2018 from complications of non-Hodgkin lymphoma at 65, the Seahawks and NBA’s Trail Blazers have been owned by his sister, Jody. The estate agreed in September to sell the Trail Blazers to an investment group led by Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon.
–By Andrew Destin/The Associated Press
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Fitness1 week ago‘I Keep Myself Very Fit’: Rod Stewart’s Age-Defying Exercise Routine at 81