Connect with us

Nevada

Nevada Supreme Court declines to wade into flap over certification of election results, for now – WTOP News

Published

on

Nevada Supreme Court declines to wade into flap over certification of election results, for now – WTOP News


RENO, Nev. (AP) — Nevada’s Supreme Court declined Tuesday to wade into an electoral controversy despite pleas from the state’s…

RENO, Nev. (AP) — Nevada’s Supreme Court declined Tuesday to wade into an electoral controversy despite pleas from the state’s top election official and attorney general after one county initially voted against certifying recount results from the June primary.

The Democratic officials wanted the justices to make clear that counties have no legal authority to refuse to certify election results.

The high court said in a ruling that the matter was moot since the Washoe County Commission’s original 3-2 vote against certification was later nullified when it re-voted the following week to certify the results.

Advertisement

The court dismissed Secretary of State Cisco Aguilar and Attorney General Aaron Ford’s request for a ruling declaring the commission acted illegally. But the justices also made clear that they have the legal authority to make such a declaration and warned they may do so on an expedited basis if it becomes an issue again.

“As petitioner argues, even when an issue becomes moot, we may still consider the issue if it constitutes ‘a matter of widespread importance capable of repetition,’” the court said.

Aguilar and Ford had argued that it’s likely the county commission would refuse to certify results from the general election in November. The court agreed that the issue is important but said it wasn’t convinced that there would likely be a repeat.

Once seen as a mundane and ministerial task, election certification has become a pressure point since the 2020 election. During the midterms two years later, a scenario similar to what is unfolding in Washoe County played out in New Mexico after that state’s primary, when a rural county delayed certification and relented only after the secretary of state appealed to the state’s supreme court.

Aguilar and Ford said in their request to the Supreme Court that Nevada law makes canvassing election results — including recounts — by a certain date a mandatory legal duty for the county commission. It also says commissioners have no discretion to refuse or otherwise fail to perform this duty.

Advertisement

Aguilar and Ford have argued previously that the certification flap has potential implications this November in one of the nation’s most important swing counties, which includes Reno and Sparks. Voter registration there is roughly split into thirds among Democrats, Republicans and nonpartisans.

Aguilar and Ford said Tuesday they were disappointed the justices declined to provide additional clarity on the law before the Nov. 5 general election.

“I strongly believe that legal uncertainty in this matter contributes to unfounded distrust in our elections,” Ford said in a statement.

Aguilar said election workers in Nevada “deserve support from the legal system, voters deserve confidence in the legitimacy of our elections, and elected officials must have accountability for their role in the process.”

“I’m hopeful that the Court will do the right thing should we find ourselves in a worst case scenario, but it’s disappointing that we have to wait for a true crisis to have this matter heard,” he said, also in a statement.

Advertisement

Two of the Republican Washoe County commissioners — Jeanne Herman and Mike Clark — have consistently voted against certifying results and are supported by a wider movement that promotes election conspiracy theories. Republican Clara Andriola, whom that movement targeted in the primaries, initially joined them in voting against certification, one of which involved the primary race she won.

After the board revisited the issue and approved the recount numbers, Andriola said she reversed course after speaking with the county district attorney’s office. She said it made clear that the commission’s duty is to certify election results without discretion.

“Our responsibility is to follow the law,” Andriola said.

Copyright
© 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Advertisement



Source link

Nevada

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region

Published

on

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region


RENO, Nev. (KOLO) – The Wolf Pack are headed on a road trip! A whole group of Nevada coaches, student athletes and staff are hitting the road across Northern Nevada to spread the brand of Wolf Pack athletics.

The trip will span over three days and over a thousand miles across the region, giving them the chance to connect with fans, alumni, and all the communities across Northern Nevada.

“It’s a really fun opportunity to get out in a lot of communities in Northern Nevada that often times come to Reno to support the Wolf Pack,” said head football coach Jeff Choate. “It’s an opportunity for us to get our brand out locally and just interact with some great people.”

The Coaches Caravan kicked off their journey Monday morning in Carson City, gathering at the Nevada State Capitol, greeted by a group of Wolf Pack faithful who were beyond excited to have the opportunity for interaction.

Advertisement

“So much about what college athletics is are bringing communities together. There’s nothing that brings a community together like sports,” said athletic director Stephanie Rempe. “It lets them get to know our coaches and athletes and the things that they’re trying to do to represent the university and the state of Nevada. Getting to know them and meet them makes you care that much more and makes them want to come support and cheer on the Pack!”

The Coaches Caravan continues through Northern Nevada until their final stop on Wednesday afternoon, meeting with thirteen communities around the region in total.

Copyright 2026 KOLO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful

Published

on

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful


The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.

Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders shield logo at midfield at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.

Advertisement

Davis’ Thoughts

Feb 10, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis at a press conference at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”

Morgan’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Apr 24, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan listtens at introductory press conference for quarterback Fernando Mendoza at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Advertisement

“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”

The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.

Advertisement

Glazer’s Thoughts

Feb 6, 2025; New Orleans, LA, USA; Jay Glazer at Fox Sports media day at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”

Nassib’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Oct 24, 2021; Paradise, Nevada, USA; Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib (94) reacts after the game against the Philadelphia Eagles Allegiant Stadium. The Raiders defeated the Eagles 33-22. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”

Overall Thoughts

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders helmet logo on the video board at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.

Advertisement

Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video

Published

on

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video


Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending