Connect with us

Michigan

EXCLUSIVE: Why Latest Jonathan Smith, MSU Football Commit Charles Taplin Chose the Spartans

Published

on

EXCLUSIVE: Why Latest Jonathan Smith, MSU Football Commit Charles Taplin Chose the Spartans


The Michigan State Spartans added their eighth commit of the 2025 class on Friday when three-star wide receiver Charles Taplin announced his decision. Taplin, a Red Oak, Texas native, is the 155th-ranked player in the state and the 141st wide receiver in the 2025 class.

Taplin made his decision soon after he returned home from his visit, he told me. Taplin needed to consult his family and mentors. That was when he decided Michigan State was “the place to be.”

“Knowing that, again like trusting Coach [Courtney] Hawkins to develop me as a man, as a receiver, on and off the field,” Taplin said. “And also how [the Spartans] are family-oriented, you know. I’m gonna be a long way from home, so I gotta be taken care of.”

Hawkins’ track record of NFL receivers, including Jayden Reed and Keon Coleman, played a big part in Taplin’s trust of Hawkins. Hawkins congratulated Taplin upon his commitment announcement, and Taplin said he has already been given instructions from the coach on how to prepare for the college level.

Advertisement

“Him and Coach [Cordale] Grundy sent me some releases to work on,” Taplin said. “Just hitting the field after my summer workouts, to make sure I get some releases in. I go to a sandpit, I can do some releases in the sandpit. … [The releases] are nothing too difficult, but it’s what the pros do.”

Taplin said that next on his agenda is working out and being the best he can be, and he is looking forward to having a great senior season. Taplin told me the team’s goal is to win the Texas 5A state championship, something it failed to do last year when it lost to Aledo.

Taplin is part of an elite wide receiver trio that could be the best in the state of Texas. He is joined by four-star Taz Williams, rated the 51st receiver in the 2025 class, and four-star Brayden Robinson, the 28th receiver in the 2026 receiver class, per 247Sports.

Taplin told me he plans on enrolling to the Spartans early. He said he was most excited for “practicing against the best, playing against the best, [and] learning from the best.”

Taplin is the second receiver the Spartans have secured from the 2025 class. The first was three-star Ohio receiver Braylon Collier.

Advertisement

Michael France is Sports Illustrated’s Michigan State recruiting beat writer, covering all things Big Ten recruiting for Spartan Nation. Be sure to follow him on Twitter/X@michaelfrancesi for exclusive Spartans recruiting coverage.

Don’t forget to follow the official Spartan Nation Page on Facebook Spartan Nation WHEN YOU CLICK RIGHT HERE, and be a part of our vibrant community group Go Green Go White as well WHEN YOU CLICK RIGHT HERE.





Source link

Michigan

West Michigan meteorologist retires again, less than 2 years after return to air

Published

on

West Michigan meteorologist retires again, less than 2 years after return to air


GRAND RAPIDS, MI — West Michigan meteorologist Terri DeBoer announced this week that she’s moving toward a “new what’s next.”

DeBoer announced Wednesday, Feb. 18 on social media that she was stepping away from Fox 17. The announcement came less than two years from DeBoer returning to the air following her initial retirement from TV.

After 28 years at Wood-TV 8, DeBoer retired from the station in September 2023. She then spent a year working as the communications director at Grandville-based Jacobs Financial Services before coming badck to television in October 2024 as a member of the Fox 17 team.

Popular meteorologist coming out of retirement with different West Michigan TV station

Advertisement

“Returning to the airwaves a year-and-a-half ago after my initial retirement was a wonderful ‘second act, but recent months have brought a perspective that only life’s biggest moments can provide,” DeBoer wrote in her statement.

DeBoer had initially come back to TV on a part-time basis, but that turned into much more while the station’s chief meteorologist was on leave.

“I stepped back into a full-time rhythm, working nearly every day through a relentless stretch of winter storms,” she wrote. “During that same window of time, I navigated the deep personal loss of my mother, who became ill and passed away.

“It was a powerful reminder that life is short.”

Over the past year-and-a-half, DeBoer said she also celebrated welcoming three new grandchildren in three different states, bringing her total number of grandkids to five, with a sixth on the way.

Advertisement

Due to the busy weather season, she stated that she hasn’t met her newest grandson yet. Going to Seattle to do that will be her first order of business.

“I am so proud of the work we did, and I leave knowing the FOX-17 weather team is in great hands,” she wrote. “The entire team is truly ‘the best in the business,’ especially those ‘unsung heroes’ who work tirelessly behind the scenes. As for me, I’m looking forward to exploring my ‘what’s next!’”

DeBoer closed her statement by thanking West Michigan for trusting her with the forecast for over 30 years.

DeBoer started her news career in the mid-1980s as a reporter and anchor at WBAY-TV in Green Bay, Wisconsin. After time in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, she moved to West Michigan and began forecasting the local weather in 1992. Prior to moving to Wood-TV 8, she spent time at WWMT in Kalamazoo.

Over the past three-plus decades she has covered some of the region’s most significant weather events like the 1998 Derecho and the 2022 Christmas Week Blizzard.

Advertisement

DeBoer was the first woman in the state of Michigan to earn the prestigious Television Seal of Approval from the American Meteorological Society.

Want more Grand Rapids-area news? Bookmark the local Grand Rapids news page or sign up for the free “3@3 Grand Rapids” daily newsletter.



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Michigan’s DNR Wardens series: New season starts Friday

Published

on

Michigan’s DNR Wardens series: New season starts Friday


A television series showcasing the work of Michigan conservation officers returns to the Outdoor Channel on Friday with its 2026 season premiere.

“Wardens” features Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers and employees as they protect and manage the state’s natural and cultural resources. The show airs Fridays at 9 p.m. Eastern.

Friday’s season opener will feature opening-day deer season patrols, a visit to the Fennville Farm Unit during January goose season and a meeting with a local Cub Scout pack.

David Haupt, an analyst in the DNR’s Gladwin Field Office who helps coordinate production, attributed the show’s longevity to the diverse work of DNR staff.

Advertisement

“Many hunting and fishing programs run for a short time due to the nature of the content and the constant need for fresh storylines and locations, but I think the success of ‘Wardens’ is largely due to our officers, biologists, educators, rangers, foresters and many other DNR employees who give us a glimpse into the work they do in some of the country’s most beautiful places,” Haupt said. “We’re excited to keep offering people an inside look at what the DNR does to take care of Michigan’s fish, wildlife and outdoor spaces.”

Upcoming episodes this season will document Fourth of July activities at South Higgins Lake State Park, the reintroduction of Arctic grayling to Michigan waters and the grand opening of the DNR’s Newberry Customer Service Center, which was built from Michigan-produced mass timber.

The show chronicles conservation officers enforcing hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation regulations while educating the public about safe and responsible outdoor activities.

Michigan-based Wolf Creek Productions films and produces the series at locations throughout the state. The show has aired since 2011.

Michigan conservation officers are fully commissioned state peace officers who handle natural resources protection, recreational safety, general law enforcement and lifesaving operations.

Advertisement

For more Northern Michigan news on MLive, check out our stories here.



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Michigan State Police investigating officer-involved shooting in Grand Rapids

Published

on

Michigan State Police investigating officer-involved shooting in Grand Rapids


Troopers with the Michigan State Police Sixth District is investigating an officer-involved shooting in Grand Rapids.

The incident involving the Grand Rapids Police Department happened just before 9:30 p.m. near MLK and Eastern Avenue SE, according to state police on X.

Medical and fire personnel were noted to be on scene.

Residents were told to expect a heavy police presence and were asked to avoid the area while the investigation is underway.

Advertisement
Comment with Bubbles

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Further details are limited, though Michigan State Police said updates will be provided as they become available.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending