Connect with us

Southeast

Fani Willis’ testimony was ‘belligerent’ and could damage her credibility, former prosecutor says

Published

on

Fani Willis’ testimony was ‘belligerent’ and could damage her credibility, former prosecutor says

A former Atlanta prosector says embattled District Attorney Fani Willis was “belligerent” in her testimony Thursday against allegations she had an “improper” affair with special prosecutor Nathan Wade. 

John Malcolm, a former assistant U.S. attorney in Atlanta, told Fox News Digital in a statement the “highlight” of the “wild” evidentiary hearing on Thursday was Willis’ testimony.

She has been belligerent and argumentative. It is hard to tell what impact this will have on Judge McAfee as he evaluates her credibility,” Malcolm said. 

Malcolm also said Wills’ claim she reimbursed Wade in cash for their shared vacations was “difficult to swallow.” 

HEARING UNDERWAY ON EVIDENCE AGAINST DA FANI WILLIS IN TRUMP CASE THAT COULD DISQUALIFY HER

Advertisement

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies during a hearing in the case of the State of Georgia v. Donald John Trump at the Fulton County Courthouse Feb. 15, 2024, in Atlanta. (Alyssa Pointer-Pool/Getty Images)

“One thing that seems difficult to swallow is her claim that she paid her paramour — Nathan Wade — in cash to reimburse him for expenses related to luxury trips they took together. Her testimony that she kept large amounts of cash in her house as a matter of practice and has no written record to back up her testimony seems hard to believe,” Malcolm said. 

Judge Scott McAfee held the hearing Thursday to hash out evidence related to allegations made by GOP political operative Michael Roman earlier this year. Roman is a co-defendant in the case Willis brought against former president Donald Trump. She is bringing sweeping charges related to alleged interference in the 2020 presidential election. 

Wade also took the stand earlier in the hearing. Craig Gillen, attorney for another Trump co-defendant, David Shafer, questioned Wade earlier about Willis’ repayments to him for vacations that were made in cash. 

HOUSE COMMITTEE SUBPOENAS FULTON COUNTY DA FANI WILLIS

Advertisement

Special prosecutor Nathan Wade admitted he did not have deposit slips or receipts to support his claims. (lyssa Pointer/Pool/Getty Images)

Wade admitted he did not have deposit slips or receipts to support his claims.

“You don’t have a single solitary deposit slip to corroborate or support any of your allegations that you were paid by Ms. Willis in cash, do you?” Gillen asked. 

“No, sir,” Wade said.

“Not a single solitary one?” Gillen pressed.

Advertisement

“Not a one,” Wade said. 

EMBATTLED DA FANI WILLIS FACES 4TH ACCUSATION TO DISQUALIFY HER FROM THE TRUMP CASE

Malcolm also told Fox News Digital the testimony of Robin Yeartie, a former Fulton County DA employee and self-described “good friend” of Willis, who said that Willis’ romantic relationship began with Wade prior to his appointment as special prosecutor, is also “pretty devastating.”  

“Although Wade and Willis have denied this, there may well be other evidence that supports Ms. Yeartie and contradicts their testimony,” Malcolm said. 

Yeartie said Thursday she has “no doubt” Willis and Wade were in a romantic relationship starting in 2019 to when she and Willis last spoke in 2022. 

Advertisement

Fulton Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

This contradicts Willis’ claims in court that she and Wade “have been professional associates and friends since 2019,” and “there was no personal relationship” between her and Wade in November 2021 at the time of Wade’s appointment. 

“You have no doubt that their romantic relationship was in effect from 2019 until the last time you spoke with her?” Merchant questioned. 

“No doubt,” Yeartie said.

Advertisement

Judge McAfee said earlier in the week that, depending on his findings after hearing the evidence presented from both sides, Willis could be disqualified from the case. 

“In studying the law that’s been filed up to this point, I think it’s clear that disqualification can occur if evidence is produced demonstrating an actual conflict or the appearance of one. And the filing submitted on this issue so far have presented a conflict in the evidence that can’t be resolved as a matter of law,” he said. 

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Southeast

Democrats celebrate as 73,000 North Carolina voters without proper ID stay on rolls

Published

on

Democrats celebrate as 73,000 North Carolina voters without proper ID stay on rolls

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

North Carolina’s elections board came to an agreement with the Republican and Democratic parties on Monday to give 73,000 voters more time to update their voter registrations before they are removed from voter rolls.

The settlement concludes an extended legal battle that rose after the Republican National Committee and North Carolina GOP sued state election officials in 2024, claiming that roughly 250,000 voters had been improperly registered. The voters in question did not provide the last four digits of their Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers or an attestation that they had neither on their registrations.

Republicans had requested that the voters be removed from rolls and their votes in the 2024 elections be thrown out. The Democratic National Committee hailed the settlement as a win on Monday, accusing the GOP of voter suppression.

“This latest victory is a win for Americans and yet another blow to the Republicans’ scheme to disenfranchise voters ahead of the midterm elections,” DNC chair Ken Martin said in a statement after the settlement.

Advertisement

TOM EMMER BLASTS DEMOCRATS’ DOUBLE STANDARD ON SAVE ACT: ‘THEY REQUIRE PHOTO IDS’ AT THEIR OWN DNC

Election supplies are loaded into a voting tent set up the day before the presidential election, on Nov. 4, 2024, in Burnsville, North Carolina. (Allison Joyce / AFP / Getty)

The North Carolina State Board of Elections admitted that roughly 100,000 voters lacked proper identification as of last summer. As of December, that number had shrunk to roughly 73,000.

Monday’s agreement allows those voters to stay on the voter rolls, with their information to be updated when they cast a ballot. North Carolina law requires voters to show ID when voting.

The settlement comes amid a federal battle over voter ID requirements, with the GOP pushing the Safeguarding American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, which passed the House last week and is expected to face a vote in the Senate. The bill would impose a blanket requirement for voters to provide proof of citizenship before casting a ballot.

Advertisement

KEY HOUSE COMMITTEE ADVANCES NATIONWIDE VOTER ID BILL, SETTING UP 2026 ELECTION FIGHT

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., vowed Sunday that Senate Democrats will block the effort.

“We will not let it pass in the Senate,” Schumer told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “We are fighting it tooth and nail. It’s an outrageous proposal that is, you know, that shows the sort of political bias of the MAGA right. They don’t want poor people to vote. They don’t want people of color to vote because they often don’t vote for them.”

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks during a news conference at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 12, 2026. (Graeme Sloan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Schumer’s comments came after Tapper pressed him on his opposition, noting that polling shows roughly 83% of Americans support some form of voter identification. That figure comes from a Pew Research poll published last year that found 71% of Democratic voters surveyed supported presenting an ID to vote.

Advertisement

COLLINS BOOSTS REPUBLICAN VOTER ID EFFORT, BUT WON’T SCRAP FILIBUSTER

In addition to ID requirements, the GOP-backed bill would establish a system for state election officials to share information with federal authorities to verify voter rolls. It would also allow the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to pursue immigration cases if noncitizens are found listed as eligible voters.

Sen. Mike Lee talks with a guest during a “Only Citizens Vote Bus Tour” rally in Upper Senate Park to urge Congress to pass the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act on Sept. 10, 2025. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)

Democrats have attempted to paint the bill as racist.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

“What they are proposing in this so-called SAVE Act is like Jim Crow 2.0,” Schumer said. “They make it so hard to get any kind of voter ID that more than 20 million legitimate people, mainly poorer people and people of color, will not be able to vote under this law.”

Fox News’ Alex Miller contributed to this report.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Southeast

Mississippi’s school miracle shames failing Chicago leaders on education

Published

on

Mississippi’s school miracle shames failing Chicago leaders on education

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

As I walk across Mississippi in my “Walk Across America” campaign to help reverse the fortunes of my South Side Chicago neighborhood, I see something powerful unfolding. This state, often dismissed by other parts of America as backward, has turned its schools into engines of progress. Children are no longer trapped in failing schools but are moving toward promising futures. Meanwhile, back in Chicago’s South Side, schools in my own neighborhood continue to let kids down. The contrast couldn’t be starker, and it forces a hard question: If Mississippi can make such dramatic gains, why does a city like Chicago, with far greater resources, continue to fail its children?

The stereotype that the South is ignorant while the North is enlightened is crumbling before my eyes.

Mississippi’s transformation, often called the “Mississippi Miracle,” is not an accident. In 2013, the state ranked 49th in fourth-grade reading on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, or NAEP. By 2024, fourth graders ranked ninth in the nation in reading and 16th in math. Adjusted for demographics and poverty, Mississippi fourth graders ranked first nationally in reading and math, according to the Urban Institute. The state achieved its highest-ever rates of students scoring proficient or advanced across tested grades and subjects. Fourth-grade reading proficiency reached levels where Mississippi students outperformed the national average for the first time. Black fourth graders rose to third in the nation in both reading and math, while low-income and Hispanic students ranked among the top performers nationally in key categories.

HERE’S THE SECRET BEHIND MISSISSIPPI’S EDUCATION MIRACLE — AND WHY IT’S NO ACCIDENT

Advertisement

The foundation? The 2013 Literacy-Based Promotion Act, which mandated evidence-based phonics instruction, early identification of struggling readers, literacy coaches and retention in third grade for students not reading at grade level.

We can’t wait for broken systems to fix themselves. At Project H.O.O.D. in Chicago we will be working to create a model that equips kids with skills, faith and opportunity — something Mississippi proves is possible when priorities align.

Former State Superintendent Dr. Carey Wright emphasized the deliberate work behind it: “Educators do not call these achievements a ‘miracle’ because we know Mississippi’s progress in education is the result of strong policies, the effective implementation of a comprehensive statewide strategy, and years of hard work from the state to the classroom level.”

CHICAGO KIDS ARE DYING WHILE MAYOR JOHNSON FIGHTS TRUMP, ICE AND REALITY

Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves has celebrated the sustained gains, noting how conservative reforms and a focus on phonics have made Mississippi a national model. Even with a slight dip in 2024-25 state accountability grades — 80.1% of schools and 87.2% of districts earning a C or higher, down from the previous year — the long-term trajectory shows what evidence-based reform can achieve, even in a state with high poverty.

Advertisement

By contrast, Dulles Elementary School in Chicago’s Woodlawn neighborhood —right in the heart of the community I serve — presents the opposite picture. The school, serving mostly Black and low-income students in grades pre-K through 8, ranks in the bottom 50% of Illinois elementary schools. In recent data, only about 1% to 5% of students scored proficient in math, and 3% in reading, on state assessments. In the 2024-25 school year, just 3.9% were proficient or better in mathematics and 13.8% in English language arts — far below Chicago Public Schools district averages (27.3% in math, 42.8% in ELA) and state averages (38.5% in math, 53.1% in ELA). Chronic absenteeism remains high, often between 25% and 40%, and the school struggles across student subgroups. It is labeled “Commendable” in Illinois’ system, but those numbers don’t lie. Far too many children are leaving without the foundational skills they need to thrive.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE FOX NEWS OPINION

That’s why Project H.O.O.D. is building the Leadership and Economic Opportunity Center down the block from this elementary school. The $45 million center will include a private Christian school for boys from single-parent households, and I am working to learn as much as possible from Mississippi’s success so that our school can follow a similar model. I am driven by the urgent need to reverse these fortunes. We can’t wait for broken systems to fix themselves. We will be working to create a model that equips kids with skills, faith and opportunity — something Mississippi proves is possible when priorities align.

The contrast between Mississippi and Chicago is so stark that I am tempted to call what’s happening in Chicago criminal. It borders on educational malpractice. Mississippi succeeded with clear standards, teacher retraining in the science of reading, accountability through letter grades and the courage to hold students back until they master the basics — policies rooted in what works, not ideology. Chicago, despite vast funding and talent, remains mired in bureaucracy, diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) mandates, resistance to proven methods and excuses about poverty. It doesn’t help that Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson focuses on blaming phantoms of White supremacy instead of doing the real work and confronting academic failure head-on.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

That’s the true backwardness — not the South, which has shown wisdom in embracing evidence over excuses. From these Mississippi roads, the message is clear: The chains of low expectations can be broken anywhere — with bold policy, hard work and faith in children’s potential. 

Mississippi is proof. Chicago can follow. Project H.O.O.D. will help lead the way.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM PASTOR COREY BROOKS

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

Election integrity groups press Supreme Court to require ballots by Election Day

Published

on

Election integrity groups press Supreme Court to require ballots by Election Day

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

FIRST ON FOX: A coalition of election integrity groups is urging the Supreme Court to uphold a lower court ruling that found federal law requires mail ballots to be received by Election Day.

The conservative-leaning groups, including the Honest Elections Project and the Center for Election Confidence, filed an amicus brief on Tuesday supporting the Republican National Committee’s challenge to Mississippi’s postmark deadline. They argue that federal law establishing a single Election Day requires ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The case could determine whether similar postmark-based deadlines in 14 states remain valid ahead of the 2026 midterms.

Supporters of the RNC’s position say a ruling affirming the lower court would establish a clear standard for when ballots must be received, though curtailing acceptance of late-arriving ballots would not guarantee that election officials won’t still be tabulating ballots in close races beyond Election Day.

“Counting ballots that are received after Election Day unnecessarily damages public trust in election outcomes, delays results, and violates the law,” Jason Snead, Honest Elections Project executive director, told Fox News Digital in a statement.

Advertisement

Others who signed onto the amicus brief included the American Legislative Exchange Council and Restoring Integrity and Trust in Elections.

SUPREME COURT SAYS ILLINOIS CONGRESSMAN CAN SUE OVER STATE MAIL-IN VOTING LAWS

Mail-in ballots are inspected at the Los Angeles County Ballot Processing Center on Nov. 4, 2025, in California. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

Oral arguments in the case, Watson v. Republican National Committee, are set for March 23, and a decision is expected by the summer.

The case arose from a lawsuit brought by the RNC challenging Mississippi’s practice of counting mail ballots received up to five business days after Election Day if postmarked by that day.

Advertisement

The RNC chose to bring the case in the Republican-friendly U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, which ruled in the RNC’s favor and found that federal law trumps the state’s deadline and requires ballots to be received by Election Day.

At issue is whether statutes establishing a single Election Day mean that all ballots must be received by that day to be valid. The election integrity groups argued that under the Supreme Court’s decision from three decades ago in Foster v. Love, the “final act of selection” must occur on Election Day and that receipt of a mail-in ballot constitutes casting a ballot, which cannot happen after Election Day by that standard.

Minnie Bounds, 74, fills out her ballot at Blackburn Laboratory Middle School on Nov. 07, 2023, in Jackson, Mississippi in the Governor’s race between Gov. Tate Reeves and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Brandon Presley. (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Snead said a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court would “protect the rights of voters and the integrity of the democratic process, and ensure that it is easy to vote but hard to cheat in future elections.”

The election integrity coalition argued that allowing ballots to arrive after Election Day can lead to delayed results and can chip away at voters’ confidence in elections.

Advertisement

The groups also pointed to recent U.S. Postal Service guidance that warned that postmarks might not reliably reflect when a ballot entered the mail.

HOUSE GOP MOVES TO REQUIRE PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, PHOTO ID TO VOTE IN FEDERAL ELECTION

The Supreme Court building is seen in Washington, D.C. (AP/Jon Elswick)

Fourteen states and Washington, D.C., currently count ballots received after Election Day if postmarked on time.

Since the 2024 midterm election, four Republican-controlled states, Kansas, Ohio, Utah and North Dakota, have moved to require receipt by Election Day.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

A ruling upholding the 5th Circuit could invalidate the laws in the 14 states and require ballots to be in election officials’ hands by the close of polls. The decision is expected to affect the 2026 midterms.

Military and overseas ballots, which are governed by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, would likely remain unaffected.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Trending