World
Italy rocked by anarchist-led riots as over 100 police injured, Meloni condemns violence
Anarchists violently clash with police in Turin, Italy
Fireworks, stones and firebombs were hurled at police as anarchists and other leftist groups attacked them after officers evicted squatters from a building in Turin. (Video: LAPRESSE, SKY ITALIA via Associated Press.)
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Violent clashes broke out during a large protest in Turin, Italy, over the weekend as anarchist and leftists attacked police, prompting Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to strongly condemn the unrest and vow a firm response.
Videos from the scene showed demonstrators dressed in black confronting police, with footage appearing to capture objects being thrown at officers and police lines forced backward. Images from Reuters showed riot police surrounded by red smoke during clashes linked to a march in support of the Askatasuna social center, which authorities recently evicted. Experts say the building had been occupied by far-left activists for decades.
Clashes with demonstrators erupted following a march in support of a left-wing social center that was evicted by authorities in Turin, Italy, Jan. 31, 2026. (LaPresse/Sky Italia via Associated Press)
Italian authorities said 108 security personnel were injured in the violence. Protesters hurled bottles, stones, homemade incendiary devices and smoke bombs, set fire to rubbish bins and a police armored vehicle, and used street furniture and uprooted lampposts as weapons, European media reported.
Commenting on the violence, U.S. and Europe analyst Matthew Tyrmand told Fox News Digital, “It’s not that dissimilar to what you see in the U.S. at times,” he said. “Think about Seattle, or Cop City in Atlanta or Portland. It’s the same odd coalition of leftist groups, anarchists, pro-Palestinian groups and random individuals coming together.”
INSIDE THE CHAOS OF BLOODY BERKELEY AS PROTESTERS GO WILD DURING TURNING POINT USA EVENT
A demonstrator gestures behind a burning refuse container in Turin, Italy, Jan. 31, 2026. (Michele Lapini/Reuters)
Meloni responded forcefully, warning that violence against police and threats to public order would not be tolerated. In a post on X, the prime minister shared photos from a hospital visit with injured officers and described the confrontations in stark terms.
“This morning I went to the Le Molinette hospital in Turin to bring, on behalf of Italy, my solidarity to two of the officers who were injured in yesterday’s clashes,” Meloni wrote, adding: “Against them: hammers, Molotov cocktails, nail-filled paper bombs, stones launched with catapults, blunt objects of every kind, and jammers to prevent the police from communicating.”
Quoting one officer, Meloni added: “They were there to kill us.” She went on to say: “These are not protesters. These are organized criminals. This is attempted murder.”
Dr. Lorenzo Vidino, director of the program on extremism at George Washington University, told Fox News Digital that while the images were shocking, the violence itself was not unprecedented. “Torino in particular is a hotbed of anarchist and hardcore communist groups,” Vidino said. “But we’ve had this in many other places in Italy, and it happens throughout Europe.”
LAPD ARRESTS VIOLENT AGITATORS AFTER PROTESTS ERUPT OUTSIDE FEDERAL DETENTION CENTER IN LOS ANGELES
A demonstrator runs through smoke as fireworks explode during clashes in Turin, Italy, Jan. 31, 2026. (Michele Lapini/Reuters)
Vidino said the unrest followed what he called the recent “liberation” of Askatasuna, a building occupied for decades by far-left activists, which he described as a catalyst for a broader reaction.
“What you have here is a network of not just Italian but European anarchists and communists, with some pro-Palestinian groups,” he said. “It’s a fairly well-established coalition of groups, and they routinely engage in this sort of violence. Antifa is also part of this coalition. It’s one of the umbrella movements in what happened in Torino.”
Vidino also pointed to links between the groups involved and a previous attack on the offices of La Stampa, one of Italy’s most prominent newspapers, which he described as a turning point for authorities.
“Storming the offices of a major newspaper crossed a red line,” Vidino said.
ITALY’S MELONI REBUKES TRUMP REMARKS ON NATO’S ROLE IN AFGHANISTAN
On Monday, Meloni said she chaired a meeting at Palazzo Chigi to assess what she called “serious episodes of violence against the police forces” and to determine measures to guarantee public safety.
Tyrmand said the clashes reflect Italy’s long history of militant left-wing activism.
“Italy has a long history of hardcore leftist organizing,” he said. “They’re cut from the same cloth. Marxist movements are truly of their genesis.”
“When a right-wing leader like Meloni comes into power, they get especially ginned up,” he added. “Violence is their modus operandi. I expect it will be quelled because Meloni is a tough figure.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Demonstrators wave Palestinian flags and hold banners depicting Mohammad Hannoun, president of the Palestinian Association in Italy who was arrested by Italian authorities over alleged funding of Hamas through charities, during a march in Turin, Italy, Jan. 31, 2026. (Michele Lapini/Reuters)
He added that the tactics and alliances mirror those seen during U.S. street protests and encampments.
“It’s the same dynamics,” Vidino said. “A permanent presence of these networks that mobilize quickly around symbolic causes.”
World
Video. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties
Updated:
Former German Chancellor Angela Merkel was awarded the European Order of Merit on Tuesday. Merkel warned that Europe could no longer take peace and security for granted following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. She also said changes in US security policy showed old certainties were fading.
World
Shakira Is Found Not Guilty of Tax Fraud in Spain
Spain’s national court announced on Monday that it had acquitted Shakira of tax fraud in a case more than a decade old, and ordered the country’s tax authorities to repay her tens of millions of dollars.
The ruling is part of the Colombian pop star’s yearslong legal battle with the Spanish authorities. Upholding an appeal she filed, it orders the state to return 55 million euros (about $64 million) plus interest to the singer. The court ruled in April but documents were released on Monday.
At the heart of the case were allegations that Shakira, 49, had been a resident of Spain in 2011 and therefore owed taxes to the Spanish government that year. Spain’s national court said that hadn’t been proven.
To be considered a tax resident in Spain, a person has to spend more than 183 days of the year in the country, have their main economic activities based there or have a spouse or children living there.
The court said in its statement that Shakira had been in Spain for 163 days in 2011. Spain’s tax authorities failed to prove “that the singer had the core of her economic interests in Spain and family relationships with residents in our country” during that year, according to the court.
José Luis Prada, Shakira’s lawyer, said in a statement that the ruling “represents a significant personal and reputational vindication for Shakira after more than eight years of litigation.”
The ruling announced Monday applies only to 2011. In a separate case, prosecutors had accused Shakira — whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll — of six counts of tax fraud, charging that she had failed to pay €14.5 million in income taxes to the Spanish government from 2012 to 2014.
In that case, prosecutors had sought an eight-year prison sentence and a fine of more than €23 million.
In November 2023, just before a trial was set to begin in Barcelona, Shakira reached a deal with Spanish prosecutors under which she agreed to receive a three-year suspended sentence and pay a fine of €7 million.
Shakira has repeatedly denied the accusations and said that she was not living in Spain during those years.
In a statement on Monday, the singer said that the ruling ended her fight with the Spanish tax authorities and that she had relocated to Miami. She said that she had been made an example of in order “to send a threatening message to the rest of the taxpayers.”
“For nearly a decade, I have been treated as guilty,” she said, adding: “Today, that narrative falls apart.”
According to court documents, prosecutors said that Shakira had bought a house in Barcelona in 2012 that became a primary home for her along with her former partner, the soccer star Gerard Piqué, and their son.
But the court found that in 2011 “there was no marital bond” between Shakira and a Spanish resident, nor were her children residing in Spain, according to the statement on Monday.
Shakira and Mr. Piqué announced their separation in 2022.
World
American tourists arrested in Japan after alleged break-in at viral monkey Punch’s enclosure
Punch the monkey makes new friends after bullying video goes viral
This video shows Punch, a young macaque in Japan who has gone viral, seeking physical contact not from his stuffed toy, but from another monkey, eventually climbing onto its back for a vital social behavior for young macaques known as the “piggyback ride.” Punch gained fame after his birth last year and his abandonment by his mother.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Two American nationals were reportedly arrested in Japan on Sunday after one allegedly entered the enclosure of Punch, the young macaque at Ichikawa City Zoo who became famous online for his inseparable bond with a stuffed orangutan toy.
Videos circulating online appear to show a person dressed in an emoji costume climbing over a barrier into the Japanese macaque enclosure before dropping a small stuffed toy near the animals, startling them and causing them to retreat, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP).
The suspects were identified as a 24-year-old college student and a 27-year-old self-described singer, AFP reported.
PUNCH THE MONKEY, VIRAL STAR, EXPERIENCES DRAMATIC BREAKTHROUGH AMONG ZOO MATES
This photo taken on Feb. 19, 2026 shows Punch sitting with his stuffed orangutan toy at Ichikawa City Zoo. (JIJI PRESS / AFP via Getty Images)
Zoo staff quickly intervened, and authorities said neither suspect made physical contact with the monkeys, according to AFP.
Ichikawa Police told AFP the two men were arrested on suspicion of forcible obstruction of business.
One suspect was not cooperating with police, while the other denied the allegations, according to reports citing NHK.
In a statement posted to X on May 17, Ichikawa City Zoo confirmed the pair had been turned over to police and said safety inspections were conducted afterward.
ORPHANED BABY MONKEY FINDS COMFORT IN STUFFED ANIMAL AFTER BEING ABANDONED BY MOTHER AT BIRTH
Punch is seen with his stuffed animal on Feb. 20, 2026. (Photo by David Mareuil/Anadolu via Getty Images)
Officials added that no animals were injured during the incident.
“Around 10:50 today, there was an intruder in Saruyama,” the zoo wrote. “We are informing you that the two individuals, including the intruder in question, have been handed over to the police.”
The zoo also announced temporary viewing-area closures and enhanced security measures while operations continued as scheduled.
SEVERAL MONKEYS STILL ON THE LOOSE IN ST LOUIS AS OFFICIALS CALL OFF SEARCH FOR ROAMING ANIMALS
Punch became a viral sensation earlier this year after zoo staff gave him a stuffed orangutan toy for comfort. (@20230605x_x via Storyful)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The monkey had been abandoned by his mother shortly after birth in July 2025, prompting zookeepers to hand-raise him.
Fox News Digital’s Khloe Quill contributed to this report.
-
Politics6 minutes agoJD Vance says Trump is ‘locked and loaded’ to restart military campaign against Iran if nuclear talks fail
-
Health12 minutes agoWoman says she’s being held against her will after cruise ship hantavirus scare
-
Sports18 minutes agoNFL owners unanimously vote to bring Super Bowl LXIV to Nashville’s new $2 billion stadium in 2030
-
Technology24 minutes agoRideable robot looks ready to stomp all over us
-
Business30 minutes agoCommentary: A surge in Nevada data center construction threatens the electricity supply for 49,000 Californians
-
Entertainment36 minutes agoReview: ‘Star Wars’ wends its way back to theaters via an unlikely duo in ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’
-
Lifestyle42 minutes agoChanel Returns to Growth as Blazymania Kicks In
-
Politics48 minutes agoHilton and Becerra lead in a tightening race in final weeks of California governor’s campaign, poll shows