World
Can King Charles save the ever-fracturing ‘special relationship’ after Trump anger at Starmer over Iran war?
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
As Britain publicly distances itself from President Donald Trump’s Iran pressure campaign, King Charles III’s upcoming visit is shaping up as more than royal pageantry.
It may be Britain’s most important diplomatic tool for preventing growing policy fractures with Washington from becoming something deeper.
“The British monarch has historically had huge importance in terms of creating personal diplomacy to smooth over ruffled feathers,” Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society, a London-based think tank, told Fox News Digital, arguing that the crown has often served as Britain’s strategic stabilizer during moments of political strain.
Mendoza said Charles could play a critical role at a moment when Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government and Trump appear increasingly divided over Iran, defense strategy and the future shape of the transatlantic alliance.
TRUMP SLAMS STARMER AS ‘NOT WINSTON CHURCHILL’ FOR REFUSAL TO BACK IRAN STRIKES
The trip began in Washington, D.C., where King Charles and Queen Camilla were greeted by President Donald Trump and Melania Trump for a private tea. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
“King Charles has the opportunity, through personal diplomacy, to create a new beginning with Donald Trump,” Mendoza said.
Britain’s balancing act became clearer Monday when Deputy Minister Stephen Doughty publicly rejected U.S. blockade tactics against Iran, while still backing Washington’s broader effort to secure maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.
“While the U.K. doesn’t support the U.S. blockade, it supports working with the United States and others to reopen the Strait of Hormuz,” Doughty said ahead of a U.N. Security Council meeting, according to The Associated Press, warning Tehran cannot be allowed to hold “the rest of the world to ransom.”
The split underscores London’s effort to support U.S. security goals without fully endorsing Trump’s “economic fury” strategy, which aims to strangle Iran’s economic lifelines through aggressive maritime pressure.
That policy divergence has intensified scrutiny over whether Charles’ visit is now functioning as a diplomatic pressure valve.
A White House spokesperson emphasized the visit as a sign of enduring personal rapport between the president and the monarch. “President Trump has always had great respect for King Charles, and their relationship was further strengthened by the president’s historic trip to the United Kingdom last year,” White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Fox News Digital. “The president enjoyed welcoming their majesties to the White House, and he looks forward to more special events throughout the week.”
AS AIRSTRIKES RAIN DOWN ON THE IRANIAN REGIME, CAN A FRACTURED OPPOSITION UNITE TO LEAD IF IT FALLS?
King Charles III and Queen Camilla disembark their plane at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, on April 27, 2026, beginning their State Visit to the United States to celebrate the country’s 250th anniversary of independence. (Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Mendoza pointed to Queen Elizabeth II’s past interventions as evidence that the monarchy can sometimes succeed where elected leaders cannot.
He cited Elizabeth’s historic role in easing tensions with Ireland and described royal diplomacy as uniquely positioned to create trust at the personal level.
“People often wonder why the British monarchy still exists in the 21st century,” Mendoza said. “This is why.”
Still, Mendoza was careful not to overstate the king’s role.
Charles, he said, is unlikely to directly influence specific policies on Iran, NATO or military cooperation. Instead, his greatest value lies in shaping what Mendoza called the “general mood music” around Trump’s willingness to engage.
“It’s more a question of general mood music, which could make the president more receptive to interesting solutions,” Mendoza said.
That distinction may prove crucial.
Rather than forcing policy alignment, Charles could help preserve the broader strategic atmosphere needed to keep Washington and London functioning as close allies even while their elected governments disagree.
KING CHARLES SENDS PERSONAL MESSAGE OF CONGRATULATIONS TO TRUMP ON SWEARING-IN
Prince Charles and Camilla hosted President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump during a state visit in 2019. (Chris Jackson – WPA Pool/Getty Images)
For Britain, that may be particularly important as outside analysts warn that the “special relationship” is under mounting structural strain.
In an analysis published Monday, Council on Foreign Relations senior fellow Matthias Matthijs argued that while the royal visit offers “spectacle and ritual,” it is unlikely to reverse what he described as the deeper unraveling of U.S.–U.K. ties.
Matthijs pointed to Trump’s repeated criticisms of Starmer about immigration, energy policy and Britain’s posture toward the U.S.-Israeli confrontation with Iran, suggesting Charles may now be doing much of the diplomatic “heavy lifting” required to preserve British access to Trump.
Meanwhile, constitutional scholars in Britain have also raised concerns.
Writing for the U.K. Constitutional Law Association earlier in April, Francesca Jackson warned that using the monarch as a diplomatic instrument during periods of sharp political volatility could expose the Crown to political backlash or “potential embarrassment,” especially if Charles is perceived as caught between Trump and Starmer.
That risk reflects the broader stakes.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
King Charles III and President Donald Trump inspect the Guard of Honour during the state visit at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England, Sept. 17, 2025. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
If Trump embraces Charles while continuing to criticize Starmer, the visit could preserve royal rapport while underscoring political dysfunction, effectively creating a parallel diplomatic lane between Washington and the British Crown.
But for now, Mendoza argues, the monarchy’s purpose is not governance, but access to the king, which may still have a chance to keep the relationship from fracturing beyond repair.
Fox News Digital reached out to Prime Minister Starmer’s office for comment.
World
Oil market clock is ticking as supply crunch looms
World
Record number of climbers summit Mount Everest from Nepali side despite overcrowding concerns
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A record 274 climbers reached the summit of Mount Everest in a single day this week, as critics warn the world’s tallest peak is becoming dangerously overcrowded with thrill-seekers willing to pay $15,000 for a shot at the top.
The surge shattered the previous Nepali record of 223 climbers set in 2019, Rishi Bhandari, secretary general of the Expedition Operators Association of Nepal, told Reuters on Thursday.
“This is the highest number of climbers in a single day so far,” Bhandari said, adding that the final summit total could rise even further as some climbers had not yet officially reported their successful ascents.
Nepal has already issued 494 Everest climbing permits this season, each costing climbers $15,000.
EXTREME TRAVEL DESTINATION TO RESTRICT POPULAR MOUNTAIN ACCESS
Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to the summit of Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, Nepal, on May 18, 2026. (Purnima Shrestha/Reuters)
Climbers this year are ascending only from the Nepal side of Everest because China reportedly did not issue permits for expeditions from the Tibetan side.
Nepal has already issued 494 Everest climbing permits this season, each costing climbers $15,000. (Paula Bronstein/Getty Images)
Mountaineering experts have long criticized Nepal for allowing large numbers of climbers on Everest, warning that overcrowding can create life-threatening bottlenecks high on the mountain in Everest’s deadly “death zone,” where oxygen levels plunge to dangerously low levels.
LEGENDARY MOUNTAINEER JIM WHITTAKER, FIRST AMERICAN TO SUMMIT EVEREST, DEAD AT 97
Mountaineers line up as they climb a slope during their ascent to the summit of Mount Everest in Nepal on May 31, 2021. (Lakpa Sherpa/AFP)
Nepal has attempted to respond to safety concerns in recent years by tightening rules and increasing fees for climbers, though some expedition leaders have defended the high number of climbers.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“If teams carry enough oxygen it is not a big problem,” expedition organizer Lukas Furtenbach of the Austria-based Furtenbach Adventures told the outlet. “We have mountains in the Alps like the Zugspitze where we have 4,000 persons on top per day. So 274 is actually not a big number, considering this mountain is 10 times bigger.”
World
Merz’s plan of ‘associate membership’ for Ukraine gets mixed reviews
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s groundbreaking plan to grant Ukraine “associate membership” in the European Union has received mixed reviews in Brussels, with questions raised about its legality, feasibility and political implications.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
In a letter to his fellow leaders, seen by Euronews, Merz proposes a tailor-made status that would give Ukraine access to decision-making bodies without voting rights or portfolio and to certain EU-funded programmes on a “step-by-step” basis.
He also envisions Kyiv able to request assistance from other member states in the event of armed aggression through Article 42.7 of the EU treaties. This, he argues, would create a “substantial security guarantee” to deter Russia.
“It is now time to boldly move on with Ukraine’s EU integration through innovative solutions as immediate steps forward,” Merz tells his peers.
In Brussels, Merz’s letter drew attention and raised eyebrows amid ongoing efforts to lift Hungary’s veto on Ukraine’s accession by the time the 27 leaders meet in June.
His push was compared to the op-ed that the chancellor wrote last year endorsing the use of Russia’s immobilised assets to finance a so-called reparations loan to Ukraine. The op-ed shocked Brussels, and the audacious project eventually collapsed.
The letter is “a rather hasty statement, and not very well coordinated. The timing is strange, especially since in June we will have good news with the opening of the cluster, so this letter is a bit surprising,” said a diplomat, warning of widespread scepticism.
“We need to do things differently. There is indeed a timeline, with June in view, and there is a method. Things will move forward.”
A second diplomat cast serious doubt on Merz’s assertion that the “associate membership” would not require amending the EU treaties, just strong political will.
“I don’t see how this could work from a legal point of view. You would need to change the treaties for that. Associate members with all institutions by way of political arrangement? I don’t see it,” the diplomat said.
A third diplomat said that in the letter, “some ideas are better than others”, while a fourth noted the real debate among member states was yet to begin.
‘Merit-based’ focus
By contrast, the European Commission, which oversees the accession process, was more positive and welcomed Merz’s proposal as showing a “strong commitment from member states to make enlargement a reality as soon as possible”.
“It is increasingly clear that enlargement is a geostrategic investment in our prosperity, peace, and security. And Ukraine’s accession to the European Union is also fundamentally linked to the security of our union,” Guillaume Mercier, the Commission’s spokesperson for enlargement, said in a statement.
“It is equally important that we deliver on the completion of the Union with all the candidate countries that have been working towards accession for many years.”
Mercier noted that any innovative solution should be underpinned by the “merit-based” logic that is supposed to guide the complex multi-chapter accession process.
Earlier this year, the Commission pitched a “reversed” membership under which Ukraine would become a formal EU member and progressively obtain the tangible benefits that come with it. Capitals largely rebuffed the idea, calling it dangerous and unrealistic.
Merz’s pitch suggests gradual integration to access EU funds and high-level fora, but with formal membership only at the very end of the road.
The German letter comes as the bloc sees a window of opportunity to finally lift the Hungarian veto on Ukraine’s accession, which has left the process paralysed for two years. The new government in Budapest has launched consultations with Kyiv to discuss the rights of the Hungarian minority in Ukraine, a politically sensitive issue.
Brussels hopes that enough progress will be made to lift the veto in June and open the first cluster of negotiations with Ukraine, known as fundamentals, with the remaining five clusters unblocked across the remainder of the year.
It remains unclear how Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy will react to Merz’s letter. Last month, he flat-out rejected any overture for “symbolic” membership.
“Ukraine is defending itself and is definitely defending Europe,” he said. “And it is not defending Europe symbolically – people are really dying.”
-
Vermont2 minutes agoSecond Vermont man this year dies in Mississippi prison – VTDigger
-
Virginia8 minutes agoWhat is Virginia Tech’s Ceiling in 2026 If Everything Falls Into Place?
-
Washington14 minutes agoRepublicans flee Washington after flap on Trump's 'weaponization fund' and ballroom spending
-
Wisconsin20 minutes agoWisconsin Football’s Transfer Class Surges in Updated Rankings
-
West Virginia26 minutes agoMan charged after hit-and-run incident
-
Wyoming32 minutes agoWolf pup numbers fall drastically due to outbreak of contagious virus
-
Crypto38 minutes agoNew Cryptocurrency Pepeto Takes $10 Million as Solana Drops and Cardano Stays 92% Below Its Peak
-
Finance44 minutes agoCRTC triples streamers’ financial contributions to Canadian content