Connect with us

San Diego, CA

Less than three weeks in, it’s plain that Balboa parking fee is backfiring

Published

on

Less than three weeks in, it’s plain that Balboa parking fee is backfiring


After City Hall initiatives go awry, they often end up triggering relatively specific reactions.

When Mayor Kevin Faulconer and the City Council rushed into a costly lease-to-own deal in 2016 for an Ash Street office tower only to find out that asbestos contamination and other issues made it unusable without extremely expensive renovations, public incredulity was universal.

Last year, after Mayor Todd Gloria and the council completed a long-term con job that imposed trash fees on 220,000-plus homes at rates that were far higher than promised in 2022, anger was common.

And after the imposition of first-ever parking fees at beloved Balboa Park on Jan. 5, anguish has been a frequent response. Brad Taylor’s essay on our pages about how the change had created a sense of “tremendous loss” resonated with many locals.

Advertisement

But Wednesday’s report about the parking fees quickly backfiring should turn this melancholy into fury. For months, critics warned the plan would drastically limit visits by the many San Diegans who struggle with the cost of living. It’s already clear that is happening. Using data from January 2025 as a baseline, Balboa Park museums saw a 20% to more than 50% decline in visitors depending on the day and venue.

“If the minimum projected decline of 20% is maintained and applied across all museums, the total annual revenue loss would be a staggering $20-$30 million,” Jessica Hanson York, president of the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership, wrote in a letter to Gloria and the City Council. The partnership said that unless the fees were rescinded or reduced, they were sure to lead to layoffs and reduced exhibitions.

A blame game has already broken out. Councilmembers Sean Elo-Rivera and Kent Lee — who joined Joe LaCava, Jennifer Campbell, Marni von Wilpert and Henry Foster in a 6-2 vote to approve the fees on Sept. 15 — issued a memo Jan. 6 that decried the “haphazard” way the program was being implemented by Gloria. But even if the rollout was flawless, the fees would still have caused visitors to stay home. It’s possible that the fee program could cost the city so much in lost revenue due to lost visits that it is a net financial negative.

In other words, a policy decision that has diminished the quality of life in San Diego could end up costing the city money. How can Gloria, Elo-Rivera, Lee, LaCava, Campbell, von Wilpert and Foster sleep at night?

Advertisement



Source link

San Diego, CA

San Diego CrossFit gym floods for second time this year

Published

on

San Diego CrossFit gym floods for second time this year


SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — CrossFit Humanity once again dealt with significant flooding after recent storms, highlighting ongoing drainage problems that have plagued the business for years.

Employees said this happens every time San Diego gets significant precipitation.

“This is usually the place that we notice first when the flooding starts to happen,” said Stephanie Ring.

The gym faced similar conditions just weeks ago when a New Year’s Day storm sent floodwater rushing through the facility.

Advertisement

The gym put out sandbags and tried to pump out enough water, but it wasn’t enough to stop the water.

“This is what happens when it rains, even just a little, right?” Ring said.

The back parking lot, where employees park their vehicles, showed water levels that nearly reached the top of car tires. Around the corner, flooding was waist-deep.

“There’s nowhere for the water to go. There’s no drainage that seems to be working, so it just gets higher and higher,” Ring explained.

Ring attributed the recurring problem to the area’s infrastructure, which causes water to flow around the building, preventing it from draining quickly enough.

Advertisement

“So it is a little disheartening to just have to kind of do this whole thing again,” she said.

The city’s Get It Done program allows residents to report flooded streets, with an average resolution time of three days. A report has been filed for the location.

Despite the challenges, Ring said the gym’s loyal customer base has provided crucial support during cleanup efforts.

“The last flood we had about 20 members walk through the water to come in and help move everything, and so that was really cool,” Ring said.

However, the recurring flooding has the business considering difficult decisions about its future.

Advertisement

“The idea of moving is not something we want to do, but if it is something that has to be done because this keeps happening, we might have to,” Ring said.





Source link

Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

San DIego Padres chairman John Seidler update on sale of team

Published

on

San DIego Padres chairman John Seidler update on sale of team


The San Diego Padres are up for sale. One thing team chairman John Seidler made very clear is: Whoever buys the club, it will remain in America’s Finest City.

“The Padres aren’t moving from San Diego,” said Seidler on Monday at the team’s spring-training complex in Peoria, Arizona.

While that is comforting to hear for a city that lost an NFL franchise, it would be nice to know if that was baked into the contract for anyone who purchases the team. Seidler didn’t get into specifics about that topic but brought up a compelling argument against relocation.

“I can’t speak as to any details as to what may or may not be negotiated with an ultimate buyer,” Seidler said. “But if you look, a new buyer would be nuts to move the team out of San Diego, with the second-highest attendance in all of baseball last year. San Diego’s a great place for baseball. Baseball is the only major sport in San Diego right now. So, the opportunity is in San Diego, not elsewhere.”

Advertisement

Most industry analysts feel the sale price will be in the range of $2.5 billion. Published reports have named Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob, businessman Dan Friedkin (who was born in San Diego) and Clearlake Capital co-founder Jose E. Feliciano as interested parties. Seidler says they’re not the only ones.

“We’ve had tremendous interest,” Seidler said. “Some parties have been reported in the press, others have not. There are more parties interested than have been reported. Over the next few months, the process will come to a logical conclusion.”

That suggests a sale could be finalized before the end of the 2026 season. The Seidler family will have a say in which bidder is given the right to buy the club, and they do have a set of preferred criteria in mind.

“We would like to see what everybody would like to see: We would like to see somebody with ties to San Diego, a deep love of San Diego and a deep love of baseball, so they can continue doing the work that we do in the community and providing the product on the field that the fans enjoy,” says Seidler.

John Seidler took over as control person after his late brother Peter Seidler passed away. When asked why he wanted to part with the franchise, John hesitated and replied: “I’m not going to answer that question today.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

In the Year of the Horse: Little Saigon San Diego Charges Forward with Clean California

Published

on

In the Year of the Horse: Little Saigon San Diego Charges Forward with Clean California


Editor’s Note: This is a sponsored story by Tram Lam, Little Saigon San Diego Executive Director As a member of Little Saigon San Diego (LSSD), I’ve always believed that keeping our cultural spaces beautiful is a form of love for our elders, our businesses, and future generations. Today, that belief has become an official commitment. […]



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending