Denver, CO
Keeler: Deion Sanders’ new offensive line coach wants CU Buffs to “build a fence” that stops top Colorado recruits from leaving. Can we get a hallelujah?
BOULDER — Godzilla wouldn’t throw down with Phil Loadholt. Unless the King of the Monsters wants a place of honor among Deion Sanders’ luggage, best swing that mighty tail ’round the other direction and run, son.
If the Buffs’ new offensive line coach is ever cornered in a dark alley by a bear, Yogi’s as good as a rug. At 6-foot-8, 340-ish pounds, when Loadholt rises and stretches at the dawn of a new day, the man blots out the sun.
“It’s like (an) eclipse walked outta here,” CU’s wide receivers coach Jason Phillips cracked Monday as he replaced Loadholt on a makeshift podium across the hall from The Buff Team Store.
Like tugging on Superman’s cape, spitting into the wind and pulling the mask off that old Lone Ranger, you mess around with Phil at your peril.
“We want to recruit the top talent, as you’ve seen with Jordan (Seaton) coming in,” Loadholt said when I asked him about his philosophy and lodestar. “And then hopefully keep the guys that are in-state (in Colorado), keep them here.”
(Sound of a record scratching, then silence.)
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Go on.
“I know we’ve got some good linemen (from Colorado) that are at other places right now,” Loadholt continued. “And we hopefully can build a fence around that and keep those guys here so that we don’t have look at other places, you know what I mean? So hopefully, we can start building that relationship around the state.”
Priority for you?
“One-hundred percent. One-hundred percent.”
As Loadholt spoke, off in the distance, I could almost hear ex-CU big man Matt McChesney scream out a “hallelujah” from halfway across town.
The first step toward addressing a problem? Admitting you have one in the first place. Since 2017, per 247Sports.com’s database, Colorado high schools have produced seven offensive line prospects who rated as four stars or higher, or an average of one per recruiting cycle. The Buffs wound up signing … one of them.
And while Coach Prime is more of a “let’s portal them in as free agents when they’re juniors or seniors” sort than a developmental, Kirk Ferentz, Barry Alvarez, Bill Snyder kind of guy, talent is talent. And baby steps forward are still steps. Especially when they’re trending in the right direction.
“Being a good player doesn’t make you a good coach,” the first-time offensive line boss noted. “I understand that as well. But I definitely lean on my experience.”
At 38, Loadholt is a blocker who’s been around the block a bit. A star in football, basketball and track for Fountain-Fort Carson, his frame and pedigree blossomed at Garden City (Kan.) Community College, then at the University of Oklahoma. The Minnesota Vikings plucked him in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft, and he proved to be a mainstay up front in the Great White North until injuries hastened his retirement in the summer of 2016. The coaching bug bit, and stops on the staffs at UCF, Mississippi and Oklahoma led Coach Prime to make Loadholt his offensive line guru this past offseason.
“(The hiring process) was surreal, man,” Loadholt recalled. “It was full circle for me, obviously, being (from) about an hour and 45 minutes down the road. So being able to come back to my hometown, spend time with my parents and my sister, who still live here … it’s great.”
We learned a lot about Sanders last year, for better or worse. The only quicker way into Coach Prime’s doghouse than becoming a sports columnist is being CU’s offensive line coach after Shedeur Sanders just spent three hours running for his life on national television.
“No, he made that clear,” Loadholt said with a grin. “He made that very clear. But the interview process was real. I went and (saw) him, went down to his house and (saw) him and spent some time with him down there and let him know my philosophy and how I want to take care of things.
“And that point (about Shedeur) was definitely made, that it’s important to keep the quarterback up. So I’m excited to have that chance to do that.”
According to 247, the top in-state prep prospect for the Class of ’25 is another top-shelf lineman, Cherry Creek tackle Soren Shinofield. The Buffs haven’t offered yet, reportedly. But if Loadholt is serious about building a fence, he can start with the garden out back.
Want more sports news? Sign up for the Sports Omelette to get all our analysis on Denver’s teams.
Denver, CO
Renck: Von Miller will always be a Bronco, even if playing for Denver again unlikely
ASHBURN, VA. – Von Miller knew the answer. But he could not resist asking the question.
A free agent last summer, training camp approaching, Miller had not decided on a new team. Garett Bolles, in attendance at a Von’s Vision event in Colorado, urged his good friend to call the Broncos.
Von had not played in Denver since 2021. Russell Wilson had him on a group text with Chandler Jones in 2022, asking for him to return. Von wisely sidestepped that “disaster of a season,” signing with the Buffalo Bills as Denver added Randy Gregory.
Three years later, there was a new coach and new quarterback. Maybe the remodeling needed an old antique to complete the project.
Von picked up his iPhone and dialed general manager George Paton.
“When Garett brought it up, I was like, ‘Come on, man.’ You have Nik Bonitto and Jonathon Cooper. But I started thinking, ‘You have all these people on the team and there’s not a spot for me? I know there probably won’t be, but let me check and see.’ I talked with George and I already had an idea how it was going to go. And that is exactly what he said.”
There was no room for the 36-year-old Miller, not with backups Jonah Elliss and Dondrea Tillman capable of playing special teams. The conversation with Paton, the man who traded him to the Rams in 2021, was productive, but not for the reason he expected.
“It was more about me taking the steps to get into a front office. He knows I want to be a GM someday (a goal inspired and encouraged by Bills GM Brandon Beane),” Miller told The Post on Friday. “I am still happy I did it. That was this season. What about next year?”
Sitting below the No. 24 name plate — an ode to Champ Bailey and Kobe Bryant — in the Washington Commanders locker room, Von flashed that devilish grin, the one that appeared so often after his franchise-record 110.5 sacks with the Broncos.
Truth be told, he would “love to return” to the Commanders. Would like a “rain check” after a lost season because of a battery of injuries to stars, including quarterback Jayden Daniels. Daniels is why Von chose Washington over the Seahawks.
“Nothing against Sam Darnold, but it was Jayden Daniels. In my opinion, it was the best situation,” Miller said. “They were coming off the NFC Championship Game. And (coach) Dan Quinn had a plan for me as a veteran player. He gets it.”
Of course, nothing has worked out, save for Von delivering as an effective situational rusher. He has five sacks in 11 games. He wants a third Super Bowl ring. But he is also motivated to collect eight more sacks, and have his sons, Valor and Victory, gain a better understanding of what their dad does for a living.
That is why he fully intends to play next season. Get that number, and he will reach 142.5 for his career, ranking sixth all-time.
“Myles Garrett is like 14 sacks behind me, and he came into the league six years after me. I don’t want to make the top 10 and get knocked out,” Miller said. “I want to stay there for 10 or 20 years. So, yeah, I definitely want to play another year, and who knows after that?”
With Washington hosting the Broncos on Sunday night, Miller cannot avoid becoming nostalgic. He never wanted to leave, but knew his time was up after he called a captains meeting with coach Vic Fangio and Paton to discuss turning the season around and aiming for a division title.
“It fell on deaf ears. What I realized later is that we were were so far removed from that. That’s all I knew from playing with Peyton Manning. But we had guys who couldn’t relate. It’s hard to get somebody to miss something they never had,” Miller said. “I was talking about winning a Super Bowl, and they were like, ‘What? We are try to win a single game.’ ”
A few weeks later, Von was shipped out. He was surprised, the news bringing him to tears. He still wonders if he would have played his entire career in Denver if the Broncos had drafted someone like Bo Nix.
“We never had a quarterback for a lot of years. No one special or elite,” Miller said. “And Bo fell in their lap. And you’ve got him with one of the greatest minds in NFL history, Sean Payton. And they have Courtland Sutton, Troy Franklin, and Marvin Mims, and that offensive line is way better than what we had in 2015. This year’s team is special. And if Bo Nix continues to take those leaps.”
Miller catches himself. There he goes again. He cannot help it. When it comes to the Broncos, Von is a fan.
He spent a decade in Denver, morphing into a future Hall of Famer. He made mistakes, grew up before our eyes, became a father — his third child, a daughter named Virtue, is due in January — a leader and a champion.
“I constantly reflect back on those times. The orange and blue, that’s my squad, that’s my city. Broncos Country, those are my fans. I think they are the main reason I miss it,” Miller said. “Anytime I post something on Instagram, they comment, ‘Come back to Denver, we love.’ They are 90 percent of why I still love the Denver Broncos and why I will always root for them.”
Von will always be a Bronco whether he plays for the team or not. He can always sign a one-day contract and retire in Denver before heading to Canton.
Honestly, it is amazing Von is still playing. His legacy is secure.
But this season explains it. There is a fountain pen. Von sits in the front of meetings — “I am that guy now” — taking down every word. He wants to be challenged, even though the easiest thing would be to tip his helmet and walk off into a Broncos orange-colored sunset.
“I take more notes now than I ever did. I date it, put a timestamp on it. Man, I love everything about the sport, the locker room, the training room, the weight room, the film room,” Miller said. “I have been playing football for 26 years. This is my life. If I don’t have to leave, I am not going to.”
Denver, CO
Denver area events for Nov. 28
Denver, CO
Three people injured in Denver in shooting on Broadway
The Denver Police Department is investigating after three people were injured in a shooting late Wednesday night.
According to DPD, officers were called to the scene in the 1100 block of N. Broadway around 10:30 p.m. When they arrived, the officers found two people who had been injured. Both were taken to the hospital for treatment, but officials did not know the extent of their injuries.
A third victim was later found with what authorities said were minor injuries. That person was not taken to the hospital.
Investigators said they are working to develop suspect information.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics1 week agoMamdani keeps Jessica Tisch as NYPD commissioner