Connect with us

California

Biden issues disaster declaration for California counties over recent storms

Published

on

Biden issues disaster declaration for California counties over recent storms


President Joe Biden has issued a disaster declaration for Los Angeles County and other counties in California for the severe storms that struck the state earlier this year.

Advertisement

The declaration issued Saturday orders “federal assistance to supplement state, tribal, and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe winter storms, tornadoes, flooding, landslides, and mudslides from January 31 to February 9, 2024,” according to the White House.

The declaration applies to Los Angeles County, Ventura County and the counties of Butte, Glenn, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz and Sutter.

Federal funding is available to state, tribal and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and repair.

Advertisement

“California has secured a Presidential Major Disaster Declaration thanks to @POTUS for early February storms,” Gov. Gavin Newsom posted Sunday morning on X. “This declaration brings in more resources for local communities across the state recovering from the widespread impacts of these storms.”

Andrew Grant of the Federal Emergency Management Agency was appointed to coordinate federal recovery operations in the affected areas.



Source link

Advertisement

California

California Democrats host annual convention in SF with hopes of endorsing candidate for governor

Published

on

California Democrats host annual convention in SF with hopes of endorsing candidate for governor


SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) — California Democrats are in San Francisco this weekend for the party’s state convention. The gathering is about plans and strategies for the months ahead, including endorsing a candidate for governor.

But with so many candidates in the race, party leaders are doubtful one candidate will emerge this weekend.

“Because here, we don’t agonize; we organize. We unionize,” said Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi.

Pelosi was firing up California Democrats Saturday. The party’s convention is celebrating victories, like the voter-approved Proposition 50, which temporarily redraws the state’s congressional districts, a counter-response to partisan redistricting in Texas.

Advertisement

“We saw you fight right here in California with Prop 50. Thanks Governor Newsom and voters for taking on Donald Trump last year,” said DNC Chairman Ken Martin.

MORE: Big political battles ahead for California in 2026: Here’s what to look forward to

Over 3,000 delegates are in San Francisco to help set the tone during a pivotal election year with so much at stake.

“We are considering candidates for state and federal office. We will have conversations about retaking the House of Representatives in 2026,” said California Democratic Party Chair Rusty Hicks.

But the biggest race is who will succeed outgoing Gov. Gavin Newsom. Eight candidates are seeking the party’s endorsement, but Hicks said it’s unlikely anyone will get it this weekend.

Advertisement

“Our threshold for endorsement is 60%. There’s a large number of candidates. It’s unlikely we’ll get to an endorsement, but delegates have the opportunity to connect with these candidates,” Hicks said.

Delegates, like Ayo Banjo from Santa Cruz, want to learn more about each candidate.

“What I’m hearing now, there’s a lot of consensus that there is no consensus. We are seeing right now, there’s is nobody that’s actually having a hold on the race,” Banjo said.

“I hope we have a good candidate who can lead us in a good direction and protect all, including immigrants,” said Orange County delegate Victor Valladares.

Outside the convention there were protests and anti-Trump demonstrations.

Advertisement

Back inside, younger democrats were urging the party to embrace bolder progressive ideas, like universal health coverage.

The convention runs until Sunday. Newsom said he wouldn’t be attending.

Copyright © 2026 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

California

DNA from cigarette helps identify teenager’s killer nearly 44 years after her death | CNN

Published

on

DNA from cigarette helps identify teenager’s killer nearly 44 years after her death | CNN


More than four decades after a teenager was murdered in California, DNA found on a discarded cigarette has helped authorities catch her killer.

Sarah Geer, 13, was last seen leaving her friend’s house in Cloverdale, California, on the evening of May 23, 1982.

The next morning, a firefighter walking home from work found her body, the Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office said in a news release. She had been dragged down an alley to a secluded area near an apartment building and behind a fence, where she was raped and strangled, according to authorities.

Her death was ruled a homicide, but due to the “limited forensic science of the day,” no suspect was identified and the case went cold for decades, prosecutors said.

Advertisement

Nearly 44 years after Sarah’s murder, a jury found James Unick, 64, guilty of killing her on February 13. It would have been the victim’s 57th birthday, the Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office told CNN.

Genetic genealogy, which combines DNA evidence and traditional genealogy, helped match Unick’s DNA from a cigarette butt to DNA found on Sarah’s clothing, according to prosecutors.

“This guilty verdict is a testament to everyone who never gave up searching for Sarah’s killer,” District Attorney Carla Rodriguez said in the release. “This is the coldest case ever presented to a Sonoma County jury. While 44 years is too long to wait, justice has finally been served, both to Sarah’s loved ones as well as her community.”

A break in the case first came in 2003, when investigators developed a DNA profile based on sperm collected from Sarah’s underwear, prosecutors said.

However, the profile did not match anyone whose DNA was available for comparison in law enforcement databases at the time, according to the release, and the investigation came to a halt again. Those databases include information of known criminal offenders.

Advertisement

In 2021, the Cloverdale Police Department reopened the investigation into Sarah’s death. The department said it had been in communication with a private investigation firm in late 2019 and had partnered with them in hopes the firm could revisit the case’s evidence “with the latest technological advancements in cold case work.”

The investigation also enlisted the FBI to help identify a potential match to the 2003 DNA profile.

“The FBI, with its access to familial genealogical databases, concluded that the source of the DNA evidence collected from Sarah belonged to one of four brothers, including James Unick,” prosecutors said.

Once investigators narrowed down the list of suspects to the four Unick brothers, the FBI “conducted surveillance of the defendant and collected a discarded cigarette that he had been smoking,” prosecutors said.

A DNA analysis of the cigarette confirmed James Unick’s DNA matched the 2003 profile, along with other DNA samples collected from Sarah’s clothing the day she was killed.

Advertisement

Investigators were able to crack the case thanks to the emerging field of genetic genealogy, which combines DNA analysis and family tree research.

Essentially, a DNA sample is compared to publicly accessible databases of millions of people who have contributed their genetic profile, and investigators can then piece together a family tree that leads to a suspect.

In 2018, genetic genealogy led to the arrest of the Golden State Killer, and it has recently helped solve several other cold cases, including a 1974 murder in Wisconsin and a 1988 murder in Washington. Investigators in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance recently announced they would turn to genetic genealogy to analyze unknown DNA found in her house.

Police arrested Unick in July 2024 at his home in Willows, California.

“Today represents a bittersweet victory for justice,” Cloverdale Chief of Police Chris Parker said in a 2024 statement following Unick’s arrest. “While nothing can undo the pain inflicted upon the Geer family and our community, we can finally offer some solace in knowing that the perpetrator will be held accountable.”

Advertisement

At the time of his arrest, Unick maintained he did not know Sarah or remember the events of the night of her death. During the monthlong trial, his story changed.

Unick testified the teenager “propositioned him for sex while he had been playing a video game” at an arcade in Cloverdale, and claimed the two had engaged in consensual sex on a hillside near a local river, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors also said Unick implied Sarah had been assaulted and killed by someone else later that night.

Jurors additionally heard from friends of Sarah who had spent time with her during her last weekend alive in 1982.

Following two hours of deliberations, the jury rejected Unick’s account of events and convicted him of murder, prosecutors said.

Advertisement

As a result of the guilty verdict and since the jury found “the defendant committed a special circumstance related to the sexual assault during the commission of the murder,” Unick will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, according to prosecutors.

He is scheduled to be sentenced on April 23.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

California

31 Southern California museums hosting free admission day event

Published

on

31 Southern California museums hosting free admission day event



If you’re looking to visit a museum, dozens of exhibits are offering free admission this weekend. 

This Sunday, 31 museums throughout Southern California are participating in the annual “Museums Free-for-All” event, which features art, design, cultural heritage, film, natural history, science and political history installations.

“For more than twenty years, SoCal Museums members have come together annually to collectively open our doors and welcome the public,” said Cristian Hamilton, President of SoCal Museums. “We believe arts and culture should be accessible to everyone, and Museums Free-for-All has become a community touchstone. The day encourages visitors to try something new, return to an old favorite, and experience the extraordinary diversity of free cultural experiences unique to Southern California.”

Advertisement

Here is a list of museums participating in the free event:

The event is only for general admission. Visitors will need to pay for ticketed exhibitions. Regular parking fees still apply.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending