Sports
Clayton Kershaw struggles, Padres sweep Dodgers to close gap in NL West
The Dodgers have yet to receive the boosts of their five trade deadline player acquisitions.
Over the final two months of the season, they’ll need the reinforcements more urgently than they could have imagined.
After an 8-1 loss to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday night — in which Michael Kopech became the first, and to this point only, new Dodger to make his team debut — the Dodgers suddenly find themselves in a compelling division race.
Up by as many as nine games in the National League West as recently as last month, the Dodgers’ two-game sweep at the hands of the red-hot Padres this week leaves them just 4 ½ games up in the standings entering August — the narrowest the Dodgers’ division lead has been since May 4.
Getting here required a calamity of errors, misfortunes and overall mediocrity from the Dodgers throughout a porous July — posting a losing record in a full month (11-13) for the first time since April 2018.
During July, the team ranked just 19th in the majors in total runs (averaging 4.3 per game) and a lowly 27th in staff ERA (5.36).
“Overall, the pitching in general, we just haven’t had the effectiveness, the command,” manager Dave Roberts said. “It just puts a lot of stress on the offense.”
The continued absences of Mookie Betts, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Max Muncy didn’t help, either (Freddie Freeman has also missed the last five games on the family emergency list). Nor did a leaky late-game bullpen and lack of consistent starting pitching.
“It’s part of it,” catcher Will Smith said. “We’ll come out of it. No doubt about it. We’re the Dodgers. We’re the best team in baseball.”
There were times this year that might have been true. But now, the Dodgers are looking less and less like the best team in their own division.
While the Dodgers sputtered, the Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks grew increasingly large in the rear-view mirror. The Padres have won nine of their last 10 games, making up four games on the Dodgers in the last eight days alone. The Diamondbacks have been even hotter, going an MLB-best 17-8 in July to sit just 5 ½ games back in third place.
The Dodgers are still the odds-on favorites to win the division, entering Wednesday with an 83% probability of finishing in first place, according to Fangraphs’ computer models.
But their margin for error is quickly evaporating — underscoring their need for alterations to the roster.
Help should arrive when the team resumes play this weekend in Oakland. Jack Flaherty, the centerpiece of the team’s deadline haul, will make his team debut on Saturday. Newly acquired utilityman Amed Rosario and center fielder Kevin Kiermaier should also be with the club by then (neither arrived in time for this week’s series at Petco Park).
Only Tommy Edman, another super utility player, will have to wait for his debut, as he continues to rehab a sprained ankle that, when coupled with offseason wrist surgery, has kept him sidelined for the entirety of the year.
Still, exactly how all the new pieces will fit remains a question.
While the Dodgers have ample defensive versatility, none of their three new hitters have an above-league-average OPS+ in their career (only Rosario, who was batting .307 with the Tampa Bay Rays earlier this season, has one this season).
Even with Kopech, who struck out the side in the fifth inning Wednesday while flashing 100 mph velocity, the hierarchy of a slumping bullpen remains unsettled.
And not even Flaherty’s arrival will solve all the questions facing an injury-ravaged starting rotation — one that Wednesday suffered through one of Clayton Kershaw’s worst career starts.
In his second outing back from offseason shoulder surgery, Kershaw gave up seven runs (three earned) in just 3 ⅔ innings. He yielded six hits. He walked a batter and committed a run-scoring defensive error. Most jarringly, he failed to record a strikeout for the first time in his 424 regular-season starts.
“There was a lot of things I was missing,” Kershaw said. “Just wasn’t executing. Wasn’t throwing really anything where I wanted to. Frustrating overall.”
For as bad as his stat line was, the underwhelming nature of Kershaw’s stuff might have been an even bigger cause for alarm.
The left-hander averaged less than 90 mph with his fastball, a quick drop from his season debut last week. Of their 41 swings against him, the Padres only whiffed twice, looking unfazed by Kershaw’s trademark slider and curveball.
“It’s part of the process,” Roberts said, chalking up some of Kershaw’s woes to post-rehab rust. “I just don’t think that anyone can expect him to come back and be lights out every start out, or certainly after two starts.”
Still, it was the kind of night that will reignite doubts about Kershaw’s ability to be counted on as an integral member of the rotation the rest of the year (or as a potential postseason starter).
And it left yet another question that the team’s forthcoming wave of reinforcements might be better suited to answer.
In addition to the Dodgers’ five deadline pickups, the team has numerous injured players getting closer to recovery.
Betts (hand fracture) has started taking batting practice in recent days, according to Roberts, and could rejoin the club in a matter of weeks.
Yamamoto (strained rotator cuff) is scheduled to throw his first bullpen session Friday, which would put him on track to return in roughly a month.
Muncy (oblique strain) finally had a “breakthrough” this week, as Roberts described it, thanks to a recent “chiropractic adjustment” that has gotten his body “back in line.” He is expected to resume swings Thursday.
A regiment of relievers are on the mend, too, with Michael Grove, Brusdar Graterol and Ryan Brasier continuing their minor-league rehab assignments (Grove is furthest along, and could be back by next week’s homestand).
Given the Dodgers’ suddenly precarious place in the standings, each potential addition could be crucial down the stretch.
For a team that once seemed to be cruising toward October, they’ll now need all the help they can get just to stay atop the standings.
“We’re gonna get back to health,” Roberts said. “But we still gotta go out there and play 27 outs.”
Ryan stays; Wrobleski optioned
In order to add Flaherty to the active roster Wednesday, the Dodgers had a decision to make at the bottom of their rotation.
River Ryan or Justin Wrobleski?
The Dodgers elected Ryan, keeping the hard-throwing right-hander over his fellow rookie counterpart. While Ryan will make his third career start in Oakland on Sunday, Wrobleski was optioned after posting a 4.05 ERA in his first four career starts.
“It was tough,” Roberts said of the decision. “I think we just wanted to see a little bit more from River. But Justin did a fantastic job, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him back up here at some point.”
Buehler, Miller updates
Walker Buehler and Bobby Miller are also options to rejoin the Dodgers rotation in the coming weeks, but not before each makes at least one more start with triple-A Oklahoma City the next two nights.
Buehler (on the injured list with a hip injury) is expected to pitch Thursday, while Miller (demoted before the All-Star break after struggling in his return from a shoulder injury) is scheduled to go Friday.
Both pitchers have struggled during their time with Oklahoma City lately. And on Wednesday, Roberts was asked if the club would consider moving either to the bullpen.
“The honest answer is, we just want to get these guys back to performing and having success,” Roberts said. “Once we get to that point, then we can have a conversation. But I think that conversation, I still think we’re a ways away from that.”
Sports
Pro wrestling star learns what ‘land of opportunity’ means in US as he details journey from Italy to America
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Cristiano Argento has been tearing up opponents in the ring for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) as he worked his way up the ladder to get a few shots at some gold.
But the path to get to one of the most prestigious pro wrestling companies in the U.S. was long and a path that not many wrestlers have taken.
Argento was born and raised in Osimo, Italy – a town of about 35,000 people located on the east side of the country closer to the Adriatic Sea. He told Fox News Digital he started training in a ring at a boxing gym before he got started on the independent scene in Italy. He wrestled in Germany, Sweden, France and Denmark before he came to the realization that, to become a professional wrestler, he needed to make his way to the United States.
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Cristiano Argento performs in the National Wrestling Alliance (Instagram)
He first worked his way to Canada to get trained by pro wrestling legend Lance Storm. He moved to Canada, leaving most of his friends and family behind and without a firm grasp on the English language.
“At the time, my English was horrible. I didn’t speak any English at all,” he said. “But I was with my friend, Stefano, he came with me and he translated everything for me. I probably missed 50% of the knowledge that Lance Storm was giving to us because I was unable to understand. I was only given a recap and everything I was able to see. I’m sure if I was doing it now with a proper knowledge of English, it would have been a different scenario.
“Eventually, I moved back to Italy after the training and I said, OK, now, I want to go to the U.S. So, I studied English more properly, and eventually I got my first work visa that was in Texas. I was in Houston for a short period of time. I trained with Booker T at Reality of Wrestling. I got on his show, which was my debut in the U.S. That was awesome. I eventually got a new work visa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where I currently live since 2017. Since then, my wrestling career, thankfully, kept growing, growing, growing and growing until now wrestling for the NWA. One of the bigger promotions in the U.S.”
Argento said that his family thought he was “nuts” for chasing his pro wrestling dream.
He said they were more concerned about his well-being given that he was half-way around the world without anyone he knew by his side in case something went sideways.
“My family, friends, everybody was like why do you want to move to the opposite side of the world not knowing the language, not knowing anybody, by yourself, to try to become a professional wrestler? And I was like, well, we have one life, I love, and that’s what I’m gonna do,” he told Fox News Digital. “Eventually, my family was really supportive. But when I first said, ‘Hey, mom and dad, I want to do that.’ They looked at me like, ‘Are you nuts? Are you drunk or something? What are you talking about?’ And I said, no that’s what I want to do. And they knew I loved this sport because in Italy I was traveling around Europe, spending time in Canada training, so they started to understand slowly that’s what I want to do with my life. They were proud of me.
Cristiano Argento works out in the gym. (Instagram)
“They’re still proud of me. I think more like the fact that you’re gonna try that, that it’s hard than more like you’re gonna leave us. The fact like, oh, my son is gonna go on the opposite side of the world for a six-hour time difference and we’re gonna see him maybe, when, like, I don’t know. Not often. I think it was more that. And for me too, it was really hard. It was heartbreaking not being able to see my family every day or every month. Like once a year if I’m lucky. I think that was the biggest part for them because of concern or that I was here by myself and if I have any issue or any problem, I didn’t have nobody. So they were scared. Like, you get sick, if you have a problem, anything, and they’re not being able to be here next to me. But they were really supportive since day one.”
Argento is living out his dream in the U.S. He suggested that the moniker of the U.S. being the “land of opportunity” wasn’t far from what is preached in movies and literature – it was the real thing.
“I was inspired by people who came to the U.S. and made it big,” Argento told Fox News Digital. “The U.S. was always like the land of opportunity. That’s how they sell it to us and this is what it is. I feel like, in myself, that was true because anything I tried to do so far I was able to reach a lot more than if I wasn’t here. I’m not yet where I’d like to be but I see like there’s so many opportunities in this country. Not just in wrestling but like in any business to reach the goal. I’m really happy of the choices I did here.
National Wrestling Alliance star Cristiano Argento poses in Times Square in New York. (Instagram)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“But my big inspirations were big-time actors who moved to the country, who didn’t know English, with no money, no support system. I had one dream, I have to go right there to make it happen and I’m gonna go and do it and I’m gonna make it happen. So those people were always the biggest inspiration even if it wasn’t in wrestling, just how they handled their passion, how they pursued their dream without being scared of anything, how far you are, how alone by yourself … You don’t know the language, you’re like, let’s go, let’s do it.”
Outside of the NWA, Argento has performed for the International Wrestling Cartel, Enjoy Wrestling and Exodus Pro Wrestling this year.
Sports
Loyola wins Southern Section Division 1 lacrosse championship
There’s no denying that Loyola’s lacrosse program is best in Southern California and could be that way for years to come with the number of elite young players participating.
On Saturday night, the Cubs (16-3) won their latest Southern Section Division 1 championship with a 14-6 win over Santa Margarita. The Cubs have won three title since the sport was adopted as a championship event in the Southern Section. Defense has been Loyola’s strength all season.
Senior defenders Chase Hellie and Everett Rolph and junior goalkeeper William Russo led one of the best defenses in program history under coach Jimmy Borell.
Senior Cash Ginsberg finished with five goals and junior North Carolina commit Tripp King finished with two goals.
In girls Division 1, Mira Costa upset top-seeded Santa Margarita 12-6.
Sports
Napoleon Solo wins 151st Preakness Stakes
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Napoleon Solo took home the 2026 Preakness Stakes on Saturday, the 151st running of the race.
The favorite in Taj Mahal, the 1 horse, was in the lead from the start until the final turn until Napoleon Solo made his move on the outside and took the lead at the top of the stretch. As Taj Mahal fell off, Iron Honor, the 9 horse, snuck up, but the effort ultimately was not enough.
Napoleon Solo opened at 8-1 and closed at 7-1. Iron Honor, at 8-1, finished second, with Chip Honcho fishing third after closing at 11-1. Ocelli, one of just three horses to run both the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago and Saturday’s Preakness, finished fourth at 8-1.
A Preakness branded starting gate is seen on track prior to the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park on May 16, 2026 in Laurel, Maryland. For the first and only time, Laurel Park is hosting the Preakness Stakes which is the second race of the Triple Crown jewel due to the traditional home of the race of the Pimlico Race Course undergoing complete renovations. (Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
A $1 exacta paid out $53.60, while a $1 trifecta brought in $597.10. But someone out there is very lucky, as a $1 superhighfive – picking the top-five finishers in order – paid out $12,015.70.
Even moreso, a 20-cent Pick 6 – picking the winners of the six consecutive races, with the final being the Preakness, paid out $33,842.34.
The race was run without the Kentucky Derby winner for the second year in a row. After Sovereignty did not run the Preakness last year – and wound up winning the Belmont Stakes – the training team of Golden Tempo opted to skip the Maryland race.
From 1960 to 2018, only three Derby winners did not run in the Preakness. Three Derby winners have skipped the Preakness in the last five years, and for the sixth time in eight years, for various reasons, the Triple Crown had already been impossible to accomplish by the time the Preakness even rolled around.
“I understand that fans of the sport or fans of the Triple Crown are disappointed, but the horse is not a machine,” Golden Tempo’s trainer, Cherie DeVaux, told Fox News Digital earlier this week.
Paco Lopez, right, atop Napoleon Solo, edges out Iron Honor, ridden by Flavien Prat, to win the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
CHERIE DEVAUX REFLECTS ON MAKING KENTUCKY DERBY HISTORY AS FIRST FEMALE TRAINER TO WIN THE RACE
Only three horses from two weeks ago – Ocelli, Robusta, and Incredibolt, were back at the Preakness. Corona de Oro, the 11 horse on Saturday, was scratched well ahead of the Derby, and Great White, who reared up and fell on his back after becoming startled shortly before entering the Derby gate, took the 13 post on Saturday.
The Preakness went off roughly 24 hours after a horse died following the completion of his very first race.
Hit Zero, trained by Brittany Russell, came into the race as the favorite. However, he finished last in the race, which was won by another one of Russell’s horses, Bold Fact — and upon crossing the finish line, Hit Zero reportedly began coughing, dropped to his knees, then put his head down and died.
The Preakness took place at Laurel Park as Pimlico undergoes renovations. It was the first time ever that Pimlico did not host the race, moving roughly 20 miles south.
Paco Lopez, atop Napoleon Solo, wins the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
The Belmont Stakes, the final Triple Crown race, will take place on June 6. The race will return to Saratoga for a third year in a row as Belmont Park continues to be renovated.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
-
Alabama29 seconds agoAvery Luedke Transferring To Alabama After One Season With Tennessee
-
Alaska7 minutes agoSouthwest Airlines Begins First-Ever Alaska Service at Anchorage
-
Arizona13 minutes agoRoad to the WCWS: Arizona can’t defend the long ball, Duke wins Durham Regional
-
Arkansas19 minutes agoFayetteville architect constructed cutting-edge Fine Arts Center at University of Arkansas, paved modernism’s path | Arkansas Democrat Gazette
-
California25 minutes agoDuck Hunting in an Unlikely Destination: California Sea Ducks – Gun Dog
-
Colorado31 minutes agoColorado wildfires: Evacuations ordered for 13,000-acre wildfire burning on Colorado-Oklahoma border
-
Connecticut36 minutes ago22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury
-
Delaware43 minutes ago38-year-old motorcyclist killed in Wilmington crash, police say