Southeast
Runaway kangaroo shuts down Alabama interstate highway
A runaway kangaroo forced the closure of an Alabama interstate highway in a bizarre incident captured on video.
Footage showed the animal hopping along Interstate 85 in Macon County on Tuesday, between Montgomery and Auburn, before it was captured by state troopers and its owner.
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said the marsupial had been involved in a two-vehicle crash.
“Eventually both the southbound and northbound lanes of Interstate 85 near the 46-mile marker were closed while Troopers with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s Highway Patrol Division along with the animal’s owner conducted a recovery of the kangaroo,” it said in a statement. “The animal has now been recovered, and the roadway is back open. The kangaroo was not injured in the crash.”
VIDEO: DOG AND KANGAROO DUKE IT OUT IN BEACHY BATTLE
A runaway kangaroo moves down a stretch of interstate in Tuskegee, Ala., on Tuesday, April 29. (Austin Andrew Price via AP)
The kangaroo, named Shiela, was tranquilized with a dart.
The animal’s owner, Patrick Starr, told The Associated Press that Sheila escaped from her enclosure.
“She’s back home safe. She’s up. She’s not sedated anymore. She’s eating. She’s drinking. She’s not injured,” Starr said.
The kangaroo was treated by the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, he said.
NEW YORK COPS CAPTURE ALPACA THAT ‘WAS ON THE LAM’ AFTER ESCAPING A TRAILER
The kangaroo was eventually caught Tuesday in Alabama. (Austin Andrew Price via AP)
Starr’s family runs a pumpkin patch and petting zoo, but Sheila is just a personal pet, he added.
Austin Price, who took the video of the kangaroo hopping down the interstate, told the AP he had to briefly question if he was seeing things.
“I hear my grandmother yell, ‘Is that a kangaroo?’ ” Price said.
The kangaroo was involved in a vehicle crash, but it was not injured, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said. (Austin Andrew Price via AP)
He added that he assumed it was probably a deer until he looked. “And yeah, it’s a kangaroo.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Two illegal aliens arrested in violent suburban home invasion involving sexual assault, kidnapping: police
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Authorities announced Monday that two illegal immigrants were arrested last week in connection with a “violent” home invasion in North Carolina that sent one victim to the hospital.
The reported burglary occurred in a suburban neighborhood in the middle of the night on Wednesday, the Pitt County Sheriff said.
“At 3:16 a.m. on February 11, 2026, Pitt County deputies responded to a reported assault at 200 Louis Street in the Cherry Oaks neighborhood of Greenville. Arriving deputies determined that the incident was a home invasion,” the agency said.
“Both arrested suspects were discovered to be in the United States illegally.”
AFGHAN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT WHO STABBED SISTER FOR BEING ‘BAD MUSLIM GIRL’ ARRESTED BY ICE AGENTS IN NEW YORK
Homeless 20-year-old Jonathan David Garcia-Lario was arrested on Feb. 13, 2026, following a reported burglary. (Pitt County Sheriff)
Police arrested the suspects two days later, identifying them as 20-year-old homeless man Jonathan David Garcia-Lario and 21-year-old Chapel Hill resident Zaid Mayen. Investigators said they recovered related evidence at an apartment in Chapel Hill, roughly two hours from the crime scene.
The suspects are accused of committing multiple serious crimes, including rape or an equivalent forcible offense, kidnapping, burglary and using a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
They are each facing four felony charges for first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree forcible sex offense, and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflicting serious injury.
Authorities did not confirm the nature or extent of the victim’s injuries but said the individual was taken to a local hospital by ambulance.
The sun rises over Greenville, North Carolina, on Tuesday, July 26, 2022. (Madeline Gray for The Washington Post)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was notified, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is expected to become involved. Authorities noted that an ICE detainer was placed on each individual, indicating that immigration agents may eventually take custody of them.
SANCTUARY POLICIES LET ALLEGED CHILD PREDATOR ROAM FREE UNTIL DHS MADE PORTLAND, OREGON, AIRPORT ARREST
A police officer pulls police tape around a crime scene on Jan. 6, 2022. (Photo by Aimee Dilger/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images))
The arrests were carried out with the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service, which helps track and apprehend fugitives. The Chapel Hill Police Department also took part in the operation.
Officials suggested that the incident was a serious criminal offense that prompted detectives from the Major Crimes and Forensic Services Units to respond to the scene.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Garcia-Lario was initially booked into the Franklin County Detention Center, where he was held without bond, and was later transferred to the Pitt County Detention Center on Monday, where he remains in custody without bond.
Mayen was initially booked into the Orange County Detention Center and held without bond.
Fox News Digital reached out to the DHS for more information.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Georgia father on trial, accused of giving son rifle before school shooting
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A Georgia father went on trial Monday, as he stands accused of enabling the 2024 high school shooting that left two students and two teachers dead by giving his teenage son access to a rifle despite repeated warning signs.
Colin Gray faces nearly 30 felony counts, including second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children, in connection with the Sept. 4 attack at Apalachee High School in Winder. Prosecutors argue his decision to arm his son directly led to the killings.
“This is not a case about holding parents accountable for what their children do,” Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith told jurors during opening statements. “This case is about this defendant and his actions in allowing a child that he has custody over access to a firearm and ammunition after being warned that that child was going to harm others.”
Under Georgia law, second-degree murder can apply when someone causes the death of a child while committing cruelty to children — the underlying felony prosecutors allege in this case. Smith told jurors the charges are structured around the victims, tying cruelty-to-children counts to the deaths of the students and reckless-conduct allegations to involuntary manslaughter counts for the slain teachers.
UVALDE TRIAL HALTED AFTER KEY WITNESS CHANGES TESTIMONY
District Attorney Brad Smith points to a weapon displayed on a screen during the first day of the trial of Colin Gray, at the Barrow County courthouse, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026, in Winder, Ga. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
Investigators have said Colt Gray, 14 at the time, brought a semiautomatic rifle to school in his backpack, left class and opened fire in a classroom and hallways. Two school resource officers took him into custody, authorities said.
Defense attorney Brian Hobbs argued the teen hid his plans from his father.
“You cannot hold someone criminally responsible for failing to predict what was intentionally hidden from them,” Hobbs said.
Prosecutors pointed to what they described as a pattern of escalating red flags that were not acted upon.
JURY REACHES VERDICT IN TRIAL OF EX-UVALDE SCHOOL POLICE OFFICER ACCUSED OF FAILING TO CONFRONT GUNMAN
In 2021, Colt Gray used a school computer to search “how to kill your dad,” Smith said. In May 2023, authorities investigated an online shooting threat traced to a computer at the Gray home after receiving a tip from the FBI. Colt Gray denied making the threat and said his account had been hacked, according to prosecutors. Smith said investigators asked Colin Gray at the time to restrict his son’s access to guns.
Colin Gray looks down as his attorney gives his opening statement in the courtroom at the Barrow County courthouse, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026, in Winder, Ga. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
Despite those incidents, prosecutors allege Colin Gray gave his son the rifle as a Christmas gift later that year and continued buying accessories, including what Smith described as “a lot of ammunition.”
Smith also told jurors that on the morning of the shooting, Colt’s mother called the school after receiving alarming text messages and warned a counselor that her son had access to firearms, prompting administrators to begin searching for him.
FORMER UVALDE SCHOOL OFFICER SAYS HE DOESN’T REGRET ACTIONS AFTER NOT GUILTY VERDICT
Prosecutors have said Colin Gray knew his son was obsessed with school shooters and had received a troubling text weeks before the attack that read: “Whenever something happens, just know the blood is on your hands.”
An investigator testified that Gray was aware his son’s mental health had deteriorated and had sought counseling services.
“This is not a case about holding parents accountable for what their children do,” Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith told jurors during opening statements. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
“We have had a very difficult past couple of years and he needs help. Anger, anxiety, quick to be volatile. I don’t know what to do,” Gray wrote, according to testimony.
Smith told jurors that despite those concerns, Gray did not pursue inpatient treatment for his son.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The trial is being held in Barrow County, where the shooting occurred, with jurors brought in from neighboring Hall County due to pretrial publicity.
Colt Gray is behind bars while awaiting his own trial. Day 2 of testimony in his father’s trial will proceed later Tuesday.
The case is among a growing number nationwide in which prosecutors are seeking to hold parents criminally responsible in deadly school shootings.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Democrats celebrate as 73,000 North Carolina voters without proper ID stay on rolls
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
North Carolina’s elections board came to an agreement with the Republican and Democratic parties on Monday to give 73,000 voters more time to update their voter registrations before they are removed from voter rolls.
The settlement concludes an extended legal battle that rose after the Republican National Committee and North Carolina GOP sued state election officials in 2024, claiming that roughly 250,000 voters had been improperly registered. The voters in question did not provide the last four digits of their Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers or an attestation that they had neither on their registrations.
Republicans had requested that the voters be removed from rolls and their votes in the 2024 elections be thrown out. The Democratic National Committee hailed the settlement as a win on Monday, accusing the GOP of voter suppression.
“This latest victory is a win for Americans and yet another blow to the Republicans’ scheme to disenfranchise voters ahead of the midterm elections,” DNC chair Ken Martin said in a statement after the settlement.
TOM EMMER BLASTS DEMOCRATS’ DOUBLE STANDARD ON SAVE ACT: ‘THEY REQUIRE PHOTO IDS’ AT THEIR OWN DNC
Election supplies are loaded into a voting tent set up the day before the presidential election, on Nov. 4, 2024, in Burnsville, North Carolina. (Allison Joyce / AFP / Getty)
The North Carolina State Board of Elections admitted that roughly 100,000 voters lacked proper identification as of last summer. As of December, that number had shrunk to roughly 73,000.
Monday’s agreement allows those voters to stay on the voter rolls, with their information to be updated when they cast a ballot. North Carolina law requires voters to show ID when voting.
The settlement comes amid a federal battle over voter ID requirements, with the GOP pushing the Safeguarding American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, which passed the House last week and is expected to face a vote in the Senate. The bill would impose a blanket requirement for voters to provide proof of citizenship before casting a ballot.
KEY HOUSE COMMITTEE ADVANCES NATIONWIDE VOTER ID BILL, SETTING UP 2026 ELECTION FIGHT
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., vowed Sunday that Senate Democrats will block the effort.
“We will not let it pass in the Senate,” Schumer told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “We are fighting it tooth and nail. It’s an outrageous proposal that is, you know, that shows the sort of political bias of the MAGA right. They don’t want poor people to vote. They don’t want people of color to vote because they often don’t vote for them.”
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks during a news conference at the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 12, 2026. (Graeme Sloan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Schumer’s comments came after Tapper pressed him on his opposition, noting that polling shows roughly 83% of Americans support some form of voter identification. That figure comes from a Pew Research poll published last year that found 71% of Democratic voters surveyed supported presenting an ID to vote.
COLLINS BOOSTS REPUBLICAN VOTER ID EFFORT, BUT WON’T SCRAP FILIBUSTER
In addition to ID requirements, the GOP-backed bill would establish a system for state election officials to share information with federal authorities to verify voter rolls. It would also allow the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to pursue immigration cases if noncitizens are found listed as eligible voters.
Sen. Mike Lee talks with a guest during a “Only Citizens Vote Bus Tour” rally in Upper Senate Park to urge Congress to pass the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act on Sept. 10, 2025. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)
Democrats have attempted to paint the bill as racist.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“What they are proposing in this so-called SAVE Act is like Jim Crow 2.0,” Schumer said. “They make it so hard to get any kind of voter ID that more than 20 million legitimate people, mainly poorer people and people of color, will not be able to vote under this law.”
Fox News’ Alex Miller contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
-
Oklahoma3 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Science1 week agoContributor: Is there a duty to save wild animals from natural suffering?
-
Science1 week agoContributor: Factory farming of fish is brewing pathogens