West Virginia
West Virginia mom and grandparents indicted on murder charge in death of emaciated girl
A grand jury on Tuesday returned an indictment on a murder charge against the mother and two grandparents of a 14-year-old West Virginia girl whose emaciated body was found in her home.
The body of Kyneddi Miller was found in April in the Boone County community of Morrisvale. Her case prompted a state investigation into whether law enforcement and child protective services could have intervened to prevent her death.
Deputies responding to a report of a death at the home found the girl in a bathroom and said her body was “emaciated to a skeletal state,” according to a criminal complaint filed in Boone County Magistrate Court.
The complaint said the teen had an eating disorder that led to “overwhelmingly visible conditions” and physical problems, but the mother had not sought medical care for her in at least four years. Miller was being homeschooled at the time.
Felony child neglect charges initially were filed against the girl’s mother, Julie Miller, and grandparents Donna and Jerry Stone.
On Tuesday, the grand jury indicted them on charges of murder of a child by parent, guardian or custodian by failure or refusal to supply necessities, and child neglect resulting in death, Boone County Prosecutor Dan Holstein said.
An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 18. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the three defendants had attorneys. Holstein said a copy of the indictment wouldn’t be made available to the public until Wednesday.
Brian Abraham, Gov. Jim Justice’s chief of staff, has said state police were summoned to check on the girl at her home in March 2023 but found no indication that she had been abused. A trooper then made an informal suggestion to the local human services office that she might have needed mental health resources.
But no follow-up checks were made, according to Abraham. The trooper indicated that Miller had appeared healthy to him but she said anxiety about being around people due to COVID-19 caused her not to want to leave her home.
Justice, a Republican, has called Miller’s death tragic and said she “fell through the cracks.”
The state Department of Human Services now requires potential abuse and neglect cases to be referred to an intake telephone number so they can be formally documented. Such referral requirements are now part of training at state police academy events, Abraham said.
Under state code, parents of homeschooled students are required to conduct annual academic assessments, but they only have to submit them to the state after the third, fifth, eighth and 11th grades. Failure to report assessments can result in a child being terminated from the homeschool program and a county taking truancy action, according to Abraham.
State Sen. Patricia Rucker, who is a Jefferson County Republican and a former public school teacher who homeschooled her five children, has said blaming homeschooling laws in the girl’s death “is misguided and injust, casting unwarranted aspersions on a population that overwhelmingly performs well.”
Rucker said the child protective services system is “overworked and underfunded” and state leaders “are resorting to blame-shifting and scapegoating homeschooling laws rather than addressing the real causes.”
House Democrats have pushed unsuccessfully for a bill that would pause or potentially deny a parent’s request to homeschool if a teacher has reported suspected child abuse: “Raylee’s Law” is named for an 8-year-old girl who died of abuse and neglect in 2018 after her parents withdrew her from school. Educators at her elementary school had notified Child Protective Services of potential abuse.
Republicans control both chambers of the Legislature.
West Virginia
What Virginia and West Virginia can expect this winter from the almanac
(WVVA) – Winter 2025–2026 looks to be mostly mild across Virginia and West Virginia, according to the Old Farmer’s Almanac extended forecast, but residents in higher elevations should be ready for colder snaps and heavier snow at times. The almanac’s long-range outlook says overall temperatures will be near or slightly above normal for much of the country, while the Appalachians and parts of the Ohio Valley are expected to trend colder than average.
The big picture The Old Farmer’s Almanac points to a winter that’s “mostly mild—with pockets of wild.” That means most lowland and coastal communities in Virginia can expect milder, drier conditions with fewer snow days than usual. Meanwhile, the southern and higher-elevation Appalachian counties are likely to see colder conditions and a split snow pattern: lighter snow in the northern highlands and heavier amounts in the southern mountains.
West Virginia’s forecast varies by geography. Lower, western valleys should experience a chillier but manageable winter, while eastern and higher parts of the state may see more frequent snow events. The almanac places much of the Mountain State in a zone where snowy spells are more likely at key times through the season.
Timing to watch
Forecasters single out several windows for colder weather and potential storms: mid to late December, parts of January, and early February. For Virginia’s Atlantic corridor, the snowiest stretches are expected around the holidays, early January and again in late February. In the Appalachians, the almanac notes heavier snowfall chances in late December, late January and early February, especially at elevation.
What’s driving the forecast
The almanac cites several large-scale factors shaping the season, including a recent peak in solar activity, the Pacific moving from La Niña toward neutral conditions, and steady ocean oscillations that can influence storm tracks. Those shifts can push Arctic air south at times, producing brief but intense cold snaps that contrast with otherwise mild conditions.
Practical advice for residents
Even a mostly mild winter can produce disruptive weather. Officials and weather experts recommend simple steps to prepare:
- Check local forecasts often and be alert to changing conditions
- Keep rock salt and shovels handy and clear yards and driveways promptly after heavy snow
- Insulate pipes and drain outdoor faucets to prevent freezing
- If you must travel, carry an emergency kit with water, snacks, warm clothing and a phone charger
- For vulnerable properties, arrange for someone to check on heating systems and utilities
Why this matters
Milder winters can reduce the number of harsh cold days while increasing the risk of freeze-thaw cycles that affect roads, crops and infrastructure. In the mountains, heavier snow at higher elevations can mean travel disruptions and power outages. For gardeners and homeowners, a warmer winter may also affect pest cycles and spring planting times.
This outlook is based on the Old Farmer’s Almanac 2025–2026 winter forecast. For full regional details, visit the Old Farmer’s Almanac winter forecast page here.
Copyright 2025 WVVA. All rights reserved.
West Virginia
Trump says one of the two West Virginia National Guard members shot by Afghan national has died
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) — President Donald Trump said that one of the two West Virginia National Guard members shot by an Afghan national near the White House had died, calling the suspect, who had worked with the CIA in his native country, a “savage monster.”
As part of a Thanksgiving call with U.S. troops, Trump announced that he had just learned that Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, had died, while Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, was “fighting for his life.”
“She’s just passed away,” Trump said. “She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down at us right now. Her parents are with her.”
The president called Beckstrom an “incredible person, outstanding in every single way.” The White House said he spoke to her parents after his remarks.
Trump used the announcement to say the shooting was a “terrorist attack” and criticized the Biden administration for enabling Afghans who worked with U.S. forces during the Afghanistan War to enter the U.S. The president has deployed National Guard members in part to assist in his administration’s mass deportation efforts.
Trump brandished a print-out of a news photo of Afghan evacuees sitting on the floor of a military plane during the chaotic evacuation from Kabul in 2021 during his remarks. He suggested that the shooter was mentally unstable after the war and departure from Afghanistan.
“He went cuckoo. I mean, he went nuts,” the president said. “It happens too often with these people.”
The shooter worked with U.S. forces in Afghanistan
The suspect charged with the shooting is Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29. The suspect had worked in a special CIA-backed Afghan Army unit before emigrating from Afghanistan, according to two sources who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation, and #AfghanEvac, a group that helps resettle Afghans who assisted the U.S. during the two-decade war.
Trump blamed the asylum process in which Afghans who worked with U.S. forces arrived by plane for being ineffective and failing to ensure people were properly vetted.
“We have no greater national security priority than ensuring that we have full control over the people that enter and remain in our country,” Trump said. “For the most part, we don’t want them.”
Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, declined to provide a motive for Wednesday afternoon’s brazen act of violence which occurred just blocks from the White House. The presence of troops in the nation’s capital and other cities around the country has become a political flashpoint.
Pirro said that the suspect launched an “ambush-style” attack with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. As of Thursday morning, the suspect faced charges of assault with intent to kill while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, but Pirro suggested the charges would be upgraded if one of the National Guard members died, as happened later on Thursday.
The rare shooting of National Guard members on American soil comes amid court fights and a broader public policy debate about the Trump administration’s use of the military to combat what officials cast as an out-of-control crime problem.
Trump issued an emergency order in August that federalized the D.C. police force and sent in National Guard troops. The order expired a month later. But the troops have remained in the city, where nearly 2,200 troops currently are assigned, according to the government’s latest update.
The guard members have patrolled neighborhoods, train stations and other locations, participated in highway checkpoints and been assigned to pick up trash and guard sports events. The Trump administration quickly ordered 500 more National Guard members to Washington following Wednesday’s shooting.
The suspect also was shot and had wounds that were not believed to be life-threatening, according to a law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.
Shooting raises questions about legacy of Afghanistan War
A resident of the eastern Afghan province of Khost who identified himself as Lakanwal’s cousin said Lakanwal was originally from the province and that he and his brother had worked in a special Afghan Army unit known as Zero Units in the southern province of Kandahar. A former official from the unit, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said Lakanwal was a team leader and his brother was a platoon leader.
The cousin spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.He said Lakanwal had started out working as a security guard for the unit in 2012, and was later promoted to become a team leader and a GPS specialist.
Kandahar is in the Taliban heartland of the country. It saw fierce fighting between the Taliban and NATO forces after the U.S.-led invasion in 2001 following the al-Qaida attacks on Sept. 11. The CIA relied on Afghan staff for translation, administrative and front-line fighting with their own paramilitary officers in the war.
Zero Units were paramilitary units manned by Afghans but backed by the CIA and also served in front-line fighting with CIA paramilitary officers. Activists had attributed abuses to the units. They played a key role in the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from the country, providing security around Kabul International Airport as the Americans and withdrew from the country.
CIA Director John Ratcliffe said in a statement that Lakanwal’s relationship with the U.S. government “ended shortly following the chaotic evacuation” of U.S. servicemembers from Afghanistan.
Lakanwal entered the U.S. in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome, a Biden administration program that evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal from the country, officials said. Lakanwal applied for asylum during the Biden administration, but his asylum was approved under the Trump administration, #AfghanEvac said in a statement.
The initiative brought roughly 76,000 people to the U.S., many of whom had worked alongside U.S. troops and diplomats as interpreters and translators. It has since faced intense scrutiny from Trump and others over allegations of gaps in the vetting process, even as advocates say there was extensive vetting and the program offered a lifeline to people at risk of Taliban reprisals.
Lakanwal has been living in Bellingham, Washington, about 79 miles (127 kilometers) north of Seattle, with his wife and five children, said his former landlord, Kristina Widman.
On Wednesday night, Trump called for the reinvestigation of all Afghan refugees who had entered under the Biden administration. The director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Joseph Edlow said in a statement that the agency would take additional steps to screen people from 19 “high-risk” countries “to the maximum degree possible.”
Edlow didn’t name the countries. But in June, the administration banned travel to the U.S. by citizens of 12 countries and restricted access from seven others, citing national security concerns.
___
This story has been corrected to fix the spelling of the suspect’s name. It is Lakanwal, not Lakamal or Lakanmal.
___
Associated Press journalists Siddiqullah Alizai, Elena Becatoros, Konstantin Toropin, Seung Min Kim, Gary Fields, Safiyah Riddle, Matt Brown, Mike Balsamo, Eric Tucker, Jesse Bedayn, Evan Vucci, Nathan Ellgren, John Raby, Hallie Golden, Michael R. Sisak and John Seewer contributed.
West Virginia
‘The damage is done’: Mobile veteran draws on deployment experience after West Virginia guardsmen shot in D.C.
MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) – Two West Virginia National Guard members were critically wounded in a shooting just blocks from the White House, prompting the Trump administration to announce plans to send another 500 National Guard troops to the nation’s capital.
The shooting occurred as chaos erupted in Washington, where National Guard troops have been deployed since August under President Trump’s emergency order as part of his crackdown on street crime and immigration enforcement.
A week ago, 160 West Virginia Guard members volunteered to extend their deployment until the end of the year.
Joseph Daniels, a retired command sergeant major who served 30 years in the National Guard, said unpredictable threats can still arise despite increased security presence.
“You know, the damage is done. It don’t matter how many troops or how many police you put in an area, all it takes is one hot head who wants to take it out on a uniform whether it’s a police officer or a national guardsman or a soldier, sailor, marine, whatever,” Daniels said.
Daniels, who is based in Mobile, recalled his own deployments to other cities, many of which were for natural disasters.
“We just went down and tried to secure the worst places that got hit, until the local law enforcement could get back on their feet and take the job back off from us and then we would be relieved and come back to home station, in my case was Fort Whiting here in Mobile,” Daniels said.
More than 300 West Virginia National Guard members were part of the deployment, which includes a joint task force made up of troops from Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ohio and D.C.
The soldiers have patrolled neighborhoods, train stations and other locations, even participating in trash pickup.
The shooting comes just weeks before the extended deployed soldiers were expected to return home.
The Trump administration filed an emergency motion asking a federal appeals court to block a judge’s ruling from last week that ordered an end to the National Guard’s deployment in D.C.
Copyright 2025 WALA. All rights reserved.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes