Oklahoma
Report: Oklahoma Loses Another WR Commit
Just days before National Signing Day, Oklahoma’s 2025 recruiting class has suffered another blow.
Wide receiver Gracen Harris, a two-sport star from Ennis, TX, is no longer an OU commit. He told On3’s Hayes Fawcett that he has officially decommitted from OU but still intends to sign somewhere when the Early Signing Period opens on Wednesday.
BREAKING: Class of 2025 WR Gracen Harris has Decommitted from Oklahoma, he tells me for @on3recruits
The 5’10 170 WR from Ennis, TX had been Committed to the Sooners since May 2023
He still plans to sign on December 4thhttps://t.co/UBCposuflo pic.twitter.com/nlNgv0vfXX — Hayes Fawcett (@Hayesfawcett3) December 2, 2024
Harris, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound speedster, has been verbally committed to OU since May 1, 2023. His intention was to play both football and baseball for the Sooners.
BREAKING: Four-Star WR Gracen Harris has Committed to Oklahoma!
The 5’10 165 WR from Ennis, TX chose the Sooners over Florida State, TCU, Baylor, & others.
The 2025 WR will play baseball as well
“I’m coming and there ain’t no stopping me!”https://t.co/W4LPfzxOND pic.twitter.com/M33QvLJINk — Hayes Fawcett (@Hayesfawcett3) May 1, 2023
However, a source close to the program tells Sooners On SI that Harris is an unfortunate casualty of what head coach Brent Venables has referred to as the “carnage” of the coming NCAA scholarship adjustments.
Essentially, Harris still wanted to go to OU, and OU still wanted to take him. But a numbers crunch is on the way, which forced Venables to make a hard and unpopular decision. And it won’t be his last.
Although the SEC has reportedly decided to use its autonomous authority and maintain its 85-scholarship limit (with 20 walk-ons) for 2025-26, it is expected the SEC will eventually conform to the NCAA’s coming rule changes when details from the landmark House v. NCAA settlement are revealed, resulting in a revenue sharing model between schools and athletes that is expected to start at around $22 million annually.
Power conference commissioners have established that they will move from the current NCAA limits of 85 scholarships and 105 total players on the roster to a flat 105 roster limit, with 105 scholarships available for schools willing to provide the maximum — although those scholarships will be able to be split among multiple players, such as in the current equivalency sport models.
That is forcing football programs and coaches into some difficult decisions that are based strictly on making the future numbers work.
“Again, the real carnage is getting our roster to 105,” Venables said at his weekly press conference on Nov. 20. “So what does that mean? That means you’re going to have to tell several players that they don’t have a spot. That’s the only thing that has caused me just anxiousness. It’s just not good.”
It means that players — those currently on the roster as well as high school or junior college prospects who have been offered full scholarships — can have their existing deals altered or dropped with little notice.
In Harris’ case, it means the loss of a four-year starter at Ennis who has compiled 258 career receptions for 4,242 yards (16.4 yards per catch), 37 touchdown catches and three 1,000-yard seasons.
Harris also produced 1,249 career rushing yards (8.4 yards per carry) and 12 TDs on the ground as well as 768 passing yards and nine TD throws, 351 yards on kick returns and 548 yards and a touchdown on punt returns — a whopping 7,157 all-purpose yards and 59 total touchdowns in his career.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma City police issue missing endangered alert for Michigan man last seen in OKC
OKLAHOMA CITY, (KOKH) — The Oklahoma City Police Department has issued a missing endangered person release for a 42-year-old man from Michigan.
Michael Schmidt is from Michigan but was last seen in Oklahoma City.
He is described as 5’9 and around 220 pounds with blue eyes.
Schmidt was last seen driving a Blue Toyota Tacoma with the tag number:DV4235C.
For more local news delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter by clicking here.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma hits two grand slams in 34-0 softball rout of UTEP
No. 4 Oklahoma hit two grand slams in one inning during a 34-0 softball rout of Texas-El Paso that came within one run of tying the Sooners’ record for runs in a game.
The Sooners (8-1), who had 25 hits in the game, wasted no time in the first inning as the first eight batters reached base en route to an 8-0 lead. In the third inning, Tia Milloy and Gabbie Garcia each hit grand slams as Oklahoma added 12 more runs.
Oklahoma, which has blasted 38 home runs in its nine games this season, then tacked on 14 runs more in their final time at-bat as the game was called after five innings.
“This was a very productive trip for us,” Oklahoma coach Patty Gasso told the El Paso Times after the Sooners won five games over three days during tournaments in Las Cruces, New Mexico, and El Paso, Texas. “We got to use a lot of pitchers in the process, get a lot of players in the field more. There were a lot of opportunities this weekend and everybody made the most of it.”
For UTEP, which had beat Idaho State earlier Sunday, there were no ill feelings.
“They’ve done a lot for women’s sports,” UTEP outfielder Halle Hogan said. “We’re going to take what we learned from them and use it to our advantage.”
Allyssa Parker had two home runs for the Sooners, and Kasidi Pickering tied a school record with three doubles. Milloy, Garcia and Parker each had six RBIs.
Audrey Lowry improved to 6-0, giving up just three hits in three innings. Sydney Berzon and Berkley Zache each pitched a scoreless inning in relief.
Oklahoma’s school record of 35 runs was set against Arkansas-Pine Bluff in 2014.
Oklahoma
See what foods will be left out of the cart under the new SNAP benefit change
Beginning Sunday, February 15, grocery carts may be missing some of its favorite items as SNAP benefit changes go into effect. The change places limitations on purchases for many sugary items.
This push is something Oklahoma Human Services said is meant to encourage healthier food choices and improve nutrition for families across the state.
In a statement, Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt said, “We are prioritizing healthy lifestyles, and that starts with nutritious food.”
“By ensuring SNAP benefits go toward foods that support good health, I am proud that we’re taking real steps to make Oklahoma healthy again and better stewarding taxpayer dollars along the way.”
Here is a list of some food items no longer eligible for purchase with SNAP.
Some candy items are no longer included
- Chocolate bars
- Hard Candies
- Gummies
- Caramels
- Taffy
- Licorice
- Mints
- Gum
Some drink items are no longer included
Soda
Energy drinks
Sweetened teas
Lemonades
Flavored or sweetened water
Most foods will be eligible for purchase with SNAP.This list includes the following:
Fruits & Vegetables
Meats
Dairy
Grains
Eggs
Plant-based proteins
100% juice
Plain water
Coffee or tea prepared at home
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
World1 week ago‘Regime change in Iran should come from within,’ former Israel PM says
-
Culture7 days agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX
-
Technology1 week agoWe found 20 Verge-approved gifts on sale ahead of Valentine’s Day
-
Politics1 week agoVirginia Dems take tax hikes into overtime, target fantasy football leagues