Maryland
Maryland House passes bill to end automatic charging of some juveniles as adults
MARYLAND (WBFF) — Maryland lawmakers have approved a bill that would end the automatic charging of certain juveniles as adults and is now on its way to the governor’s office for review.
The Youth Charging Reform Act passed the House of Delegates on Monday after clearing the Senate last week. The bill aims to end the automatic charging of 16- and 17-year-olds as adults for certain drug, assault, and gun offenses.
ALSO READ | Bill to end automatic charging of some juveniles as adults inches closer to passage
The bill drew significant opposition from several top prosecutors in Maryland, including Baltimore City State’s Attorney Ivan Bates, Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Tara Jackson, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy, and Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess.
For months, they’ve warned that the change could weaken accountability and pose public safety risks.
“DJS is not equipped to deal with these increased violent offenders, and the legislature should defer the implementation of this bill until the programs are in place,” McCarthy said.
Maryland sheriffs also joined the pushback, including Carroll County Sheriff Jim Dewees, who previously said, “This is not a smart move, by any means, I don’t like it because, and I think by and large, law enforcement doesn’t like it, because we don’t have a whole lot of trust in the juvenile court system and the DJS system.”
ALSO READ | FOX45 sends video of prosecutors’ concerns to lawmakers backing juvenile justice bill
Supporters of the bill argued that most cases end up in the juvenile system regardless, and therefore, it makes sense to start them in the Department of Juvenile Services.
“They’re already ingesting that work anyway; they’re already doing that workload anyway,” Sen. Will Smith, lead sponsor of the legislation, previously told FOX45 News. “We’re just wasting time and money by sending them to the adult system first.”
JOIN THE CONVERSATION (6)
The bill now awaits at Gov. Wes Moore’s desk for a final decision.
Maryland
Maryland leaders deflect as residents leave over costs
Maryland
Maryland SHA to assess Fallston intersection where teen died in dirt bike crash
HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) — The Maryland State Highway Administration will be assessing the Fallston intersection where 16-year-old Tyler Benton was killed in a dirt bike crash earlier this month, Harford County Councilmember Alison Imhoff announced Thursday.
On May 5 around 2:30 p.m., troopers with the Maryland State Police Bel Air Barrack were called to the intersection of Fallston Road (MD-152) and Pleasantville Road for a crash involving a car and electric dirt bike.
ALSO READ | Fallston High School student killed after deadly crash in Harford County
The preliminary investigation found a Honda CR-V was traveling southbound on MD-152 and tried to make a left turn onto Pleasantville Rd. and that’s when an electric dirt bike traveling northbound on MD-152 hit the Honda on the passenger side, officials said.
Maryland State Police Aviation Command flew the teen, who attended Fallston High School, to a local trauma center where he was pronounced dead.
The Maryland State Police Crash Team is leading the investigation.
Once completed, the investigation will be presented to the Office of the State’s Attorney in Harford County to determine if charges will be filed.
SHA’s review should be done in the next 90 days, Councilmember Imhoff said.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
As the traffic flow and safety of the intersection are assessed, anyone with concerns or questions is asked to contact Councilmember Imhoff by emailing Abimhoff@harfordcountycouncil.com.
Maryland
Maryland's first – and only – Hispanic Serving Institution's cautious next steps
-
Lifestyle3 minutes agoL.A. Affairs: I married at 51 after decades of being single. My dog turned out to be the better companion
-
Politics9 minutes agoContributor: The GOP is collapsing under Trump’s loyalty tests
-
Sports21 minutes agoFrom broken windows to delayed dreams, JJ Saffie is ready for Dodger Stadium moment
-
World33 minutes agoIsrael’s October 7 tribunal: Show trial of Palestinians or justice?
-
News1 hour agoDrive slower, go electric, don’t drive at all? The best options for saving gas
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoMiley Cyrus to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoGrading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
-
San Francisco, CA3 hours agoHeadlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco