Connect with us

Delaware

Woman whose 4-year-old son starved to death ‘genuinely believed’ things would improve

Published

on

Woman whose 4-year-old son starved to death ‘genuinely believed’ things would improve


play

Estranged from her family, not wanting to bother neighbors and unwilling to contact social services after losing her income, court documents say Mercedes Ferguson told police she and her son lied around her Elsmere-area apartment starving.

Advertisement

This went on for weeks, until the 4-year-old boy began spitting up a brown-like substance in the early hours of Aug. 18, according to court documents obtained by Delaware Online/The News Journal. The child, who she had doted over previously, died later that morning.

When a New Castle County Police investigator asked her if she had concerns that her son hadn’t been eating, court documents claim the 31-year-old woman “genuinely believed she could turn things around.”

“Mercedes stated she never thought things would go this far or get this bad,” the police detective said in court documents. “Mercedes advised she believed the child was fine until he began throwing up the brown-like substance.”

Police did not disclose the child’s name.

Despite medical providers and others previously making her aware of resources available to her and her son, court documents indicate Ferguson did not attempt to seek any help. Furthermore, when an investigator asked the woman if she considered a homeless shelter or going to the hospital, she told the detective that with no cellphone service she was unable to search things, adding she believed hospitals and 911 were for emergencies only.

Advertisement

Ferguson now faces a charge of first-degree murder by abuse or neglect — a felony charge that carries a sentence of life in prison. Ferguson, whose preliminary hearing is scheduled for Tuesday morning, remains at Delores J. Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution after failing to pay a $1 million cash bail.

Once a ‘doting parent’

There was a time Ferguson had been viewed as a devoted mother.

Her son was a picky eater, staff at his preschool told police investigators, but noted Ferguson seemed over accommodating and described her as a “doting parent who often pacified her son’s needs.”

The only concern staff had, was that he had a developmental delay, specifically with his speech. But other than that, staff told investigators they had no concerns for his hygiene or nutrition and did not see any social issues in the well-groomed boy.

Advertisement

No concerns were relayed to investigators by staff at Nemours Children’s Hospital, Delaware, where the boy had been treated for sickle cell anemia — a genetic disorder that attacks red blood cells, causing them to break down prematurely and interfere with how red blood cells carry oxygen to tissues in the body.

Hospital staff told investigators Ferguson had been compliant with the child’s speech-related services care up until March 27, 2023, where they had provided her with resources to assist her with social issues that were identified during his appointments. Staff there also told investigators that Ferguson knew the hospital could be used as a resource for social help.

The boy’s father, who’d been out of the child’s life for more than a year, told investigators he did not have concerns about Ferguson’s ability to care or provide for the child.

A downward spiral

Through a staffing agency, Ferguson was assigned a data entry position. That job, however, ended in November 2022.

Advertisement

She’d saved up money to hold her and her son over, but she told investigators the money started running out in the early months of 2023.

Ferguson had lined up job interviews in April of that year, but her car brakes gave out leaving her with no transportation to search for jobs or take her son to school or other places.

“Mercedes advised she wouldn’t dare put herself or the child in the vehicle due to safety concerns,” the investigator said in court documents.

Ferguson made an online grocery order around July, before court documents said her cellphone and Wi-Fi services were cut off — further isolating her from the outside world.

She’d occasionally leave her second-story apartment to check her debit/Electronic Benefits Transfer card at a nearby service station, according to the court documents. She’d applied for unemployment in April and wanted to see if her claim had come through.

Advertisement

Ferguson still had water and electricity, but she told police she now faced eviction from her Greenview at Chestnut Run apartment. Ferguson, according to court records, spoke to the apartment’s leasing office. While workers there were understanding, they could only do so much for her.

The workers informed Ferguson of resources she could reach out to, according to the investigator.

Management at Greenview at Chestnut Run did not respond to a Delaware Online/The News Journal attempt to speak about Ferguson’s matter.

As food ran out, medication was stopped

As food grew scarce, Ferguson stopped giving her son amoxicillin, a penicillin-type antibiotic that court documents said was prescribed to help with the boy’s sickle cell anemia.

Advertisement

“Mercedes advised she did not want to give the child the medication on an empty stomach,” the investigator said, adding she did not know how long it had been since the boy did not have his medicine.

At one point, court records say Ferguson told investigators her son “had been without food for over a month.”

The child, who was 39.5 inches tall, weighed about 23 pounds by mid August — about 7 pounds below what is considered a healthy weight for a 4-year-old boy.

Ferguson, who said her last meal had been fruit snacks she found on the floor of her car, told the investigator she’d lost 10 to 20 pounds but did not know for sure.

The family of two had been receiving food stamps, but she told the investigator her benefits had been discontinued a few months prior. She did not know why.

Advertisement

The Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, which administers the food benefits program, said reasons for a person losing their benefits could include a change in income or verification of information. A department spokesman said he could not explain how Ferguson lost her benefits.

“While DHSS cannot speak to specific cases,” Tim Mastro, a spokesperson for the department, said. “we encourage those who are facing food insecurity to apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).”

Mastro said more information on the program and eligibility is available on the agency’s website: https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dss/foodstamps.html. Delawareans can apply online through the Delaware Assist Portal or in person at one of 15 State Service Centers throughout the state.

Final days blurred together as boy’s condition deteriorated

Ferguson told police she could not remember when she and her son last left their apartment, and days began to “blend together,” according to court documents.

“She was concerned that she or the child were too weak and would pass out if they went somewhere,” the investigator said.

Advertisement

With little to eat, she and her child were drinking water — the boy “from a sippy cup,” according to court documents.

The boy’s urine was getting darker with time, and his “stool was a rarity as the child was not consuming anything of substance,” Ferguson told police. She added her son’s last bowel movement, which was more like diarrhea, occurred a few days before he died.

In the boy’s final hours, Ferguson told the investigator she and her son were simply lying around the apartment.

Over the last few days, the boy complained of feeling ill and his stomach hurting. His stomach pains, however, seemed to last longer in the early hours of Aug. 18.

Ferguson felt an air pocket in his stomach area, which according to court documents she described as feeling hard in the boy’s bloated abdomen.

Advertisement

With her son on her legs, court documents say Ferguson massaged her son’s stomach in a downward direction hoping he would pass the air pocket.

The boy had a look of relief when he passed it, she told the investigator. But he immediately started coughing up a substance the mother had never seen come from him.

“Mercedes described this substance as a brown in color liquid,” the inspector said. “Mercedes stated this substance came from the area of the child’s nose/mouth.”

She lifted her son, but court documents said the boy was unresponsive.

Although she had no cellphone service, her phone’s SOS mode was still working. The feature allows for automatic calls to a local emergency number and shares a caller’s location with the emergency service even if the device isn’t connected to a cellular network.

Advertisement

Using this feature she called 911 operators about 1:25 a.m., according to court documents.

Ferguson was instructed over the phone to give her son CPR.

“She could hear the air going into the child’s lungs,” the court documents report. “After chest compressions, Mercedes advised that froth was coming from the child’s mouth.

Emergency responders soon arrived at her apartment. They removed the boy from the bed and placed him on the floor to better work on him.

But by 2:20 a.m., the boy had been declared dead and his body had been sent to the state Division of Forensic Science for an autopsy.

Advertisement

Investigation confirmed starvation

An investigator searched Ferguson’s apartment and said, in court records, there was no food in the refrigerator or cabinets: “In fact, no food was observed in any area of the apartment.”

Ferguson had asked for a meal while at the police station because she was hungry, according to court records.

Following an interview with police, Ferguson was treated at an area hospital where court records said she was released in stable condition with hospital staff not concerned about her health or her wellbeing.

On Dec. 7, three months and 19 days after the boy’s death, the Delaware Division of Forensic Science ruled the child’s death to be a homicide with the cause being starvation. After consulting with the Delaware Attorney General’s Office, detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Ferguson on March 8.

She was arrested three days later at a home in Wilmington Manor.

Advertisement

How to get help

People having a difficult time can access Delaware 211, a state telephone and text message line available in multiple languages that connect users with resources on a variety of issues, including mental health and substance use. The service can also be found online at delaware211.org.

For people who do not have phone or Internet service, the assistance can be accessed at Delaware Libraries, where people in need of a Chromebook, WiFi hotspot or both can borrow the technology for free.

Send tips or story ideas to Esteban Parra at (302) 324-2299 or eparra@delawareonline.com.



Source link

Advertisement

Delaware

Delaware seeks applicants for new inspector general position

Published

on

Delaware seeks applicants for new inspector general position


The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Laura Sturgeon, D-Brandywine Hundred, created an independent inspector general office tasked with finding instances of fraud, waste and abuse within state government and the General Assembly. Once chosen, the appointee will hire a staff, which is required to be certified in investigation, auditing or evaluation within three years. The inspector general has subpoena power authority to compel document production and issue public reports exposing corruption and wrongdoing.

The selection panel includes Sturgeon, Secretary of State Charuni Patibanda-Sanchez and members of the Delaware Bar Association and Association of Chiefs of Police. It also includes members of the public and community activists. Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings chairs the panel.

“I’m excited that we’re finally at this point where we’re taking in applications and I just can’t wait for Delaware to have an inspector general to create another layer of accountability, transparency and trust in our state government,” Sturgeon said.

Applicants should have a record of integrity and ethical leadership, and experience in government oversight, investigations or public accountability, according to the State Department website.

Advertisement

The list of criteria for evaluating candidates includes requiring applicants to have 10 years of expertise in areas such as law, financial analysis, accounting, ethics or auditing. The ideal candidate would have prior experience in an office of inspector general.

DELCOG board member Keith Steck is on the subcommittee that created a list of qualifications for the job description. Steck, who has worked in an inspector general’s office at the federal level, said he is looking for someone with certain skills.

“They have to set up the function of the office administratively and the IG has to be independent,” he said. “That’s going to be an important point, I think. And then clearly investigative experience.”

The pick for inspector general will serve a five-year term.

While the state Attorney General and Auditor do investigations, Steck and other advocates said an Office of the Inspector General will not replace or duplicate the work of those agencies, a concern of those opposed to its creation.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Delaware

In Stock Today Cabinets LLC Expands Fabuwood Wholesale Distribution to Meet Delaware’s Growing Construction Demand

Published

on

In Stock Today Cabinets LLC Expands Fabuwood Wholesale Distribution to Meet Delaware’s Growing Construction Demand


835 Pulaski Hwy, Bear, DE – November 26, 2025 – PRESSADVANTAGE –

In Stock Today Cabinets LLC has expanded its wholesale distribution operations in Delaware to serve the state’s robust construction and remodeling market, valued at $1.5 billion annually. The company’s Delaware facility now provides contractors, builders, and dealers throughout the Mid-Atlantic region with direct access to Fabuwood wholesale kitchen cabinets, addressing critical supply chain challenges that have plagued the industry with 8-12 week lead times.

Delaware’s construction employment has reached 24,700 workers as of July 2025, representing a 6 percent increase from February 2020 levels, according to AGC Construction Employment Data. This growth, combined with the state’s median household income and strong housing market dynamics, has created substantial demand for reliable cabinet suppliers who can support accelerated project timelines.

Advertisement

The expansion positions In Stock Today Cabinets as an authorized Fabuwood distributor serving all three Delaware counties—New Castle, Sussex, and Kent—while extending coverage to Maryland, Virginia, and surrounding Mid-Atlantic states. The company offers the complete Fabuwood Allure product portfolio, including Galaxy Frost White, Galaxy Horizon Gray, Galaxy Nickel, Galaxy Cloud White, Luna shaker styles, and the Designer Collection featuring Cabernet Red, Forest Green, Macadamia Beige, Mint Green, Orchid Purple, and Galaxy Mocha finishes.

“Delaware’s remodeling market represents a significant opportunity for contractors and builders who need in-stock Kitchen Cabinets without the traditional waiting periods,” said Emin Halac, spokesperson for In Stock Today Cabinets LLC. “By maintaining extensive inventory and offering same-day pickup for select models, we enable construction professionals to meet their project deadlines while accessing wholesale pricing that helps offset material cost increases affecting the industry.”

The IBISWorld Delaware Remodeling Market report indicates that kitchen and bathroom remodeling represents a major segment of the state’s construction activity, with homeowners investing a median of $60,000 for major kitchen remodels and $20,000 for minor updates. Kitchen remodels offer a 96 percent return on investment for midrange projects, making cabinet quality critical for maintaining property values.

In Stock Today Cabinets provides wholesale kitchen cabinets that meet rigorous quality standards, including KCMA certification, Q12 quality protocols, solid wood construction, dovetail drawers, and Blum soft-close hardware. All Fabuwood products carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty, providing contractors and their clients with long-term assurance.

The company’s Delaware operation offers comprehensive support for construction professionals, including wholesale pricing structures, regional territory protection for dealers, marketing and sales support, technical training programs, and access to Fabuwood’s recently expanded production capacity. This infrastructure ensures consistent inventory availability for contractors managing multiple projects across the region.

Advertisement

In Stock Today Cabinets LLC operates as a multi-state distributor specializing in premium all-plywood kitchen and bathroom cabinetry. The company maintains locations in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Texas, offering both ready-to-assemble and fully assembled cabinet options. As an authorized distributor of Fabuwood and FIBO products, the company provides design consultations, delivery services, and multiple selection of cabinet styles to meet diverse project requirements.

###

For more information about In Stock Today Cabinets LLC, contact the company here:

Advertisement

IST Cabinets Delaware
Emin Halac
(302) 321-1771
delaware@istcabinets.com
835 Pulaski Hwy, Bear, DE 19701, United States

Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. XPRMedia and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and would like it removed please contact pressreleases@xpr.media



Source link

Continue Reading

Delaware

DSBF Final: Odds On Put Option prevails in Ramona Hubbard – State of Delaware News

Published

on

DSBF Final: Odds On Put Option prevails in Ramona Hubbard – State of Delaware News


Odds On Put Option, driven by Tim Tetrick, won in 1:54.1 at Bally’s Dover on Wednesday

DOVER — Odds On Put Option parlayed a pocket trip into a lifetime-best 1:54.1 victory in the $110,000 Ramona Hubbard Delaware Standardbred Breeders’ Fund championship for 2-year-old pacing fillies on Wednesday, Nov. 26, at Bally’s Dover.

Tim Tetrick sent Odds On Put Option to the lead from post 6 right at the opening bell, clearing even-money favorite Just Applause (driven by Jason Bartlett) through a :27.4 first quarter before yielding control to Warrens Charm (Art Stafford Jr.), who brushed from third, with a circuit to go. After stalking unabatedly from the pocket through middle splits of :56.2 and 1:25.4, Odds On Put Option was boxed on the final turn by Just Applause, who re-emerged to mount a first-over rally and engage Warrens Charm.

Odds On Put Option won her fourth career race in her seventh start Wednesday as the 2-1 third choice.
Odds On Put Option, the 2-1 third choice in Wednesday’s race, won her fourth career race in her seventh start.

Just before the top of the stretch, Just Applause broke stride, enabling Odds On Put Option to angle off the pegs at the eighth pole and overtake Warrens Charm to win by a widening 1-1/2 lengths. Meemaw’s Column (Russell Foster) finished third, another 6-1/4 lengths in arrears.

Scott DiDomenico trains Odds On Put Option, now a four-time winner with $107,075 in earnings from seven starts, for Odds On Racing. As the 2-1 third choice, the He’s Watching-Odds On Hollywood filly returned $6 to win.

Advertisement

The DSBF series for 3-year-olds begin Monday, Dec. 1, with a single $20,000 first-round preliminary event for sophomore trotting fillies kicking off a 15-race card. First post is 4:30 p.m. 

image_printPrint



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending