Connect with us

Dallas, TX

Dallas NCA incident: Downtown convention center damage is from 2019, police say

Published

on

Dallas NCA incident: Downtown convention center damage is from 2019, police say


Dallas police are aiming to shut down internet theories about the incident at the NCA All-Star National Championship at Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center that caused a panic over the weekend.

Posts on social media show damage to windows at the convention center, claiming that they were bullet holes from a shooting on Saturday.

Advertisement

Dallas investigators have denied that there was a shooting. They say that multiple poles fell at the convention center during a fight, causing a “stampede” as people ran for the exits.

10 people were injured, ranging from bumps and bruises to broken bones.

Dallas Police on “bullet holes” at Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center

Advertisement

What they’re saying:

Dallas Police released a statement to FOX 4 on Monday.

Advertisement

“The Dallas Police Department is aware of the social media posts regarding damage to the glass at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center. This damage was previously investigated as criminal mischief and was documented in 2019. At this time, we have found no evidence that a shooting occurred on Saturday, March 1, 2025. The investigation is ongoing, and we continue to review video footage,” wrote the department.

What you can do:

Police ask anyone with information about a shooting in connection to the incident to email anthony.colon@dallaspolice.gov.

Advertisement

NCA cheerleading competition in Dallas

What we know:

Two people knocked over “multiple poles” during a fight, causing a loud noise and panic inside the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Saturday afternoon, Dallas police said.

Advertisement

In a statement, Dallas police said the noise of the poles being knocked down caused a panic inside the building and people to start rushing outside “in a stampede.”

Authorities said no shooting occurred.

Advertisement

The incident prompted the National Cheerleaders Association to cancel the rest of Saturday’s event.

The canceled events were held on Sunday.

What we don’t know:

Advertisement

FOX 4 has asked Dallas Police if anyone will face charges in connection to the fight that led to the investigation.

Police said no arrests have been made, but did not say if the people involved have been identified.

Advertisement

The Source: Information in this article comes from the Dallas Police Department and parents and competititors at the NCA All-Star National Championship.

Downtown DallasCrime and Public Safety



Source link

Advertisement

Dallas, TX

Cowboys’ 3rd-year CB ‘ready’ for PUP activation to ‘ball out’ in secondary

Published

on

Cowboys’ 3rd-year CB ‘ready’ for PUP activation to ‘ball out’ in secondary


The Dallas Cowboys have been receiving good news in the secondary all week.

All-Pro cornerback Trevon Diggs is expected to return to action in Week 14, while fellow All-Pro DaRon Bland avoided serious injury on Thanksgiving Day. The same goes for starting safety Malik Hooker, who was in and out of the game due to back spasms.

Now, another Cowboys cornerback with starting experience is ready to return to the field and contribute down the final stretch.

Advertisement

MORE: Matt Eberflus has been true catalyst behind Cowboys’ 3-game surge

Advertisement

Third-year cornerback Josh Butler, who started the season on the PUP list, took to social media to share the message that he has been “ready since Week 6,” but he’s just trusting the process.

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Josh Butler goes through a drill during practice at the Ford Center at the Star Training Facility | Chris Jones-Imagn Images
Advertisement

“Been a year. Been ready since Week 6 and healthy,” Butler wrote on X. “I just want to ball with the gang. This team so fun. Trusting in God but I’m ready. Let’s go Cowboys.”

Advertisement

Butler began the 2024 season on the practice squad, but was promoted to the active roster on November 18. He played in five games, starting three, before suffering a torn ACL in Week 13 against the New York Giants.

If Butler is activated and returns to the roster, the Cowboys’ secondary will be as healthy and deep as it has been in the past few seasons. Because Butler is on the PUP list, he would not count as one of the team’s two remaining IR-return spots. He would simply need to be added to the roster.

MORE: Brian Schottenheimer shares secret making Cowboys hottest team in NFL


An intriguing CB option

Advertisement

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Josh Butler during training camp at the Marriott Residence Inn-River Ridge playing fields. | Jason Parkhurst-Imagn Images

Advertisement

During his brief action in 2024 under defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Butler showed a lot of promise. Butler recorded five pass deflections, one sack, and 21 total tackles in his five games.

While the Cowboys’ defense has been thriving since the addition of Quinnen Williams, cornerback remains one of the biggest weaknesses.

There is undeniable depth at defensive tackle, defensive end, at linebacker with the addition of Logan Wilson, and even at safety now that the starters are healthy. But cornerback is an area where the team should consider all options.

If Butler is ready to go and a roster spot is available, he would be an intriguing option for the team to consider.

Advertisement

Sign up for the Cowboys Daily Digest newsletter for more free coverage from Dallas Cowboys on SI

Dallas Cowboys’ NFC East hopes get lifeline ahead of crucial NFL playoff push

Cowboys-Lions opening Week 14 odds continue underestimating Dallas

4 winners & 1 loser from Cowboys impressive Week 13 win vs Chiefs

Advertisement

4 huge takeaways from Cowboys’ shocking Week 13 win vs Chiefs 

Advertisement

Jerry Jones’ wild Micah Parsons-Quinnen Williams trade claim refuted by Jets insider

Meet Camille Sturdivant: Star of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Netflix doc



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Lakers Announce Full Starting Lineup Ahead of NBA Cup Game vs Mavericks

Published

on

Lakers Announce Full Starting Lineup Ahead of NBA Cup Game vs Mavericks


The Los Angeles Lakers have unveiled their full first five ahead of their Emirates NBA Cup showdown against the Dallas Mavericks.

More news: Former NBA Executive Urges Lakers to Fire Rob Pelinka Next

Thanks to starting center Deandre Ayton’s announced return from a right calf contusion that cost him the Lakers’ 135-118 Tuesday win against the LA Clippers (Jaxson Hayes started capably in his stead), Los Angeles will have access to head coach JJ Redick’s preferred starting unit once again.

Advertisement

Lakers Starters Revealed

With Ayton manning the middle, the Lakers will start five-time All-NBA First Team superstar point guard Luka Doncic (who was, until February, a Maverick) and shooting guard Austin Reaves in the backcourt, plus small forward Rui Hachimura and 21-time All-NBA power forward LeBron James in the frontcourt.

The Mavericks, meanwhile, will be bringing back the 10-time All-Star big man who served as the centerpiece of their misguided Doncic deal last season.

More news: Former All-Star Confident Lakers’ Austin Reaves Will Land Massive Offseason Deal

Advertisement

For Dallas, former 2020 Lakers champ Anthony Davis is set to return from a lingering calf injury, although it is Marc Stein of The Stein Line reports that Jason Kidd will be playing Davis on a minutes restriction.

Latest Lakers News

Advertisement

For more news and notes on the Los Angeles Lakers, visit Los Angeles Lakers on SI.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Stream of visitors shows Dallas is wise to invest in its water park

Published

on

Stream of visitors shows Dallas is wise to invest in its water park


Pool season ended in September, but we welcome a splash of good news anytime. And how’s this for a headline? Dallas has started work to replace a 20-year-old water feature at the popular Bahama Beach Waterpark in Red Bird — with the expectation that the new amenities will be ready by summer 2026.

As our newsroom colleague María Ramos Pacheco reported earlier this year, the $2.5 million upgrade for the water park is coming from a federal Community Development Block Grant and from the city’s Parkland Dedication Program Fund.

This water park is exactly the kind of aquatic facility that Dallas should be investing in. City Hall faced resistance this year over the closure of several community pools, but as we’ve written previously, those facilities’ days were numbered. With sparse attendance and with parts dating back decades and no economical replacements, to keep those pools open was to pour taxpayer money down the drain.

Today, communities across North Texas gravitate toward “spraygrounds,” aquatic centers and waterparks, which are larger facilities that combine pools with amenities such as lazy rivers, tubes and tall slides.

Advertisement

Opinion

Get smart opinions on the topics North Texans care about.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Bahama Beach Waterpark opened to much fanfare in 2005, and it remains a crowd favorite to this day. Annual attendance was 50,000 a decade ago and has risen to 76,000, Park and Recreation Director John Jenkins told us. The water park is also one of the city’s most cost-effective aquatic facilities. Bahama Beach, which charges a modest admission fee and also receives rental income, generates about $1.3 million in annual revenue and recovers 70% of its costs.

The latest upgrade will replace Coconut Grove, a playground styled like a water fortress featuring slides, pulleys and water buckets. It will be replaced by a bigger installation including 16 decks, more than 55 water features and new slides. It will also bring back the huge water-dumping bucket that is as much a hit with adults as it is with children.

Advertisement

This upgrade follows a more substantial overhaul in 2021, when the city invested $5.9 million to create an area dedicated to families with small children, including new restrooms.

“This is what folks want,” Jenkins said. “They want to have this type of amenity in their communities.”

The water park isn’t just for kids and their parents. Summer programming includes water aerobics classes for seniors.

Jenkins told us that the city has contracted with a company to seek corporate sponsorship opportunities for the park system, not including Fair Park and city parks with separate management. The park director said the city wants to keep fees affordable for families and is looking to sponsorships to generate more revenue and cover its costs at Bahama Beach.

Dallas residents vote with their feet, and they love their water park. City Hall is wise to keep its sole water park in great shape and to recognize that a commitment to Bahama Beach is a much-needed investment in southern Dallas.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending