Connect with us

Northeast

West Nile Virus detected at New York beach

Published

on

West Nile Virus detected at New York beach

The year’s first case of West Nile virus at a popular New York beach and campground has been detected, officials said Friday.

The virus was found in a mosquito sample collected from a trap set at Watch Hill at Fire Island National Seashore, a 30-mile-long barrier island off Long Island, the U.S. National Park Service (NPS) said.

Watch Hill is a popular camping spot on federal land between Davis Park and the Fire Island Wilderness, and the trap was part of a collaborative mosquito monitoring program between NPS and Suffolk County Department of Health Services – Arthropod-Borne Disease Laboratory.

West Nile Virus was first confirmed in New York State in 1999 – the same year the virus first entered the U.S. The virus is the leading cause of mosquito-borne disease in the country, per the CDC.

FAUCI HOSPITALIZED AFTER TESTING POSITIVE FOR WEST NILE VIRUS, NOW RECOVERING AT HOME

Advertisement

The mosquito sample that tested positive for West Nile Virus was found in a trap at Watch Hill, a campground at the Seashore, officials said. (National Park Service)

The virus is transmitted to humans most commonly through the bite of an infected mosquito. 

Symptoms include fever, headache, body aches, vomiting, diarrhea or rash, although a vast majority — around 80% — of the people who contract WNV will not experience any symptoms. There are no vaccines or treatments for the virus.

Fire Island National Seashore is a 30-mile-long, half-mile-wide barrier island off Long Island, New York. (National Park Service)

More than 1,800 people were hospitalized with the virus last year in the U.S., leading to 182 deaths, per CDC data. 

Advertisement

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the public face of the U.S. coronavirus pandemic response, was hospitalized earlier this month with the West Nile virus, a spokesperson for Fauci told Fox News on Saturday. Fauci, 83, later returned home where he was recovering, and is expected to make a full recovery, the spokesperson said.

Officials advised visitors to avoid areas heavily populated with mosquitoes and to wear clothing that covers the body, such as pants, socks and long-sleeved shirts. (National Park Service)

NORTHEASTERN TOWNS ISSUE VOLUNTARY LOCKDOWN TO PREVENT SPREAD OF MOSQUITO-BORNE ILLNESS

Meanwhile, the NPS and Suffolk County will continue the weekly mosquito surveillance program to monitor the severity and extent of the virus within the Seashore. Watch Hill will also receive increased surveillance.

Control methods such as larviciding, spraying or area closures may occur if any threats to human health are identified, the NPS said.

Advertisement

Park officials said that those visiting Fire Island National Seashore should avoid areas with high volumes of mosquitoes, wear protective clothing such as long-sleeved shirts, socks, and long pants, and use insect repellent containing at least 30% DEET.

Fox Digital’s Michael Dorgan and Danielle Wallace contributed to this report.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

Where to watch Colgate vs. Boston University today: College basketball free stream

Published

on

Where to watch Colgate vs. Boston University today: College basketball free stream


If you purchase a product through a link on our site, we may receive compensation.

The Boston University Terriers host the Colgate Raiders Monday at 6 p.m. ET. Colgate took down Boston University 80-79 in overtime on Jan. 24.

Colgate vs. Boston University will air on CBS Sports, and streams live on fuboTV (free trial).

What: Men’s college basketball regular season

Advertisement

Who: Colgate Raiders vs. Boston University Terriers

When: Monday, Feb. 16, 2026

Where: Case Gym, Boston, Massachusetts

Time: 6 p.m. ET

TV: CBS Sports Network

Advertisement

Live stream: fuboTV (free trial), DIRECTV (free trial)

The Colgate men’s basketball team mounted a furious second-half rally Saturday but couldn’t complete an 18-point comeback, falling to Navy 84-80 in overtime at Cotterell Court.

Jalen Cox delivered a game-high 30 points along with seven assists, five rebounds, and three steals for the Raiders. The guard forced overtime by scoring the final four points of regulation, including two free throws in the last eight seconds that tied the game at 77-77. Cox also disrupted a potential game-winning shot attempt by Navy’s Austin Benigni at the regulation buzzer.

Navy dominated early, building a 36-18 lead in the first half with help from three 3-pointers by Jordan Pennick. The Midshipmen took a 48-28 advantage into halftime.

The Raiders clawed back after intermission. Cox sparked the comeback by scoring or assisting on Colgate’s first 17 second-half points, trimming the deficit to 51-45 with more than 15 minutes remaining. Back-to-back 3-pointers from Kyle Carlesimo later knotted the score at 55-55, and Andrew Alekseyenko’s triple gave Colgate its biggest lead at 61-59 with 8:47 left.

Advertisement

Alekseyenko finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season. His five 3-pointers set a career high. Josh Ahayere added 12 points and five rebounds, while Carlesimo scored nine points.

The overtime period became a defensive battle, with both teams combining to shoot just 1-for-10 from the field. Alekseyenko missed a go-ahead 3-point attempt with 10 seconds remaining, and Benigni sealed Navy’s victory at the free-throw line.

The defeat ended Colgate’s 13-game winning streak against Navy and marked the Midshipmen’s first victory at Cotterell Court since January 2016. The Raiders have lost four conference games this season by a combined 10 points and dropped to 1-3 in overtime contests.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

‘Wandering Minstrel’ Chuck Watts has died at 74

Published

on

‘Wandering Minstrel’ Chuck Watts has died at 74






Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

One male dead following a shooting in New London

Published

on

One male dead following a shooting in New London


One person has died after a shooting in New London on Sunday night.

At around 7:20 p.m., the New London Police Department responded to a call for shots fired on Connecticut Avenue between Prest Street and McDonald Street.

Upon arrival, officers located one adult male with a gunshot wound to his lower extremity and immediately began to provide medical assistance until he was transported to the hospital for treatment.

The male was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival to the hospital.

Advertisement

The identity of the victim has not been released.

The New London Police Department is continuing to investigate the scene, including conducting interviews as a part of their investigation.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting can contact the New London Police Department Detective Division at 860-447-1481.

Anyone can also send an anonymous tip to the New London Tips 411 system by texting NLPDTip, plus the information to Tip411 (847411).

Further details will be provided as the investigation continues.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending