Northeast
New Jersey legislators advance public records access law overhaul
New Jersey lawmakers pushed ahead Thursday with legislation overhauling the state’s public records access law, reigniting debate over the revisions that stalled earlier this year amid vocal opposition from civil rights and other groups.
The Democrat-led state Senate’s budget committee approved the amended legislation Thursday, with its Assembly counterpart set to take up the bill on Friday.
The bill’s revival comes after Republican minority leader Anthony Bucco signed on to co-sponsor the measure and following agreement on concessions by an influential group behind the legislation that represents the state’s more than 500 towns and cities.
THREE GROUPS ARE SUING NEW JERSEY TO BLOCK AN OFFSHORE WIND FARM
Among the proposed changes is the end of a prohibition on commercial record requests, by real estate developers for instance. Instead, the new measure would allow government clerks up to 14 days to respond to requests for records and allow for commercial interests to pay up to twice the cost of producing the records.
“When both sides are potentially not thrilled you have a good compromise,” Senate Budget Committee chairman Paul Sarlo said.
The General Assembly Chamber of the New Jersey State House in Trenton, New Jersey, is photographed. (Getty Images)
Civil rights groups, citizens and media organizations testified Thursday against the measure, citing in particular the end of what they said was a key component of the law: attorney fee shifting, which under current law provides for government agencies to pay legal fees only if the government is found to have improperly denied records.
That provision is important, according to attorney CJ Griffin who testified in opposition Thursday, because journalists and the public often don’t have the funds to pursue costly legal cases to obtain records.
“If your goal is to handle commercial requests … this bill doesn’t do it,” Griffin said. “This bill instead guts transparency.”
The bill’s sponsors countered that a court could determine that attorneys’ fees were warranted if a government records custodian acted in bad faith.
Another new provision of the proposed measure that drew opposition Thursday was the authorization for lawsuits to be brought in state Superior Court for records that requesters have determined to be interrupting “government function.”
Sarlo said he thought the criticism was inaccurate, but didn’t specify.
Lori Buckelew, a top official with The League of Municipalities that pushed for the legislation, said the changes are necessary to protect taxpayer dollars from the abuses of overburdensome records requests.
Paul Mordany, the mayor of Deptford, New Jersey, said his town has 200 pending requests, only three of which are from town residents. The rest are from lawyers, real estate developers and other commercial interests. The stress wears on the town clerk responsible for handling the requests under the Open Public Records Act, or OPRA, he said.
“I literally sat in her office more than one time as she literally cried over OPRA requests,” he said.
Access to officials’ emails and other public records regularly results in news stories shedding light on how the government works.
In 2018, for instance, the records law resulted in the disclosure of emails showing the then-governor’s administration working with the executives of a utility company lobbying lawmakers for a $300 million bailout for its nuclear plants.
Read the full article from Here
Maine
This New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland
As someone who is completely obsessed with oysters, summer seafood spots, and the excitement of trying a brand-new restaurant, I’ve been counting down the days for Ladyfish to open in Portland. There’s just something about a seasonal pop-up that makes it feel extra special, and Ladyfish already feels like the place everyone will be talking about this summer.
Where Is It Located?
Located at 425 Fore Street in Portland’s Old Port, the restaurant officially opened on May 13 and has already been drawing major attention from locals and visitors looking for fresh seafood and fun summer vibes.
What Makes Ladyfish Stand Out From Other Restaurants?
What makes Ladyfish stand out is how playful and exciting the menu feels while still keeping Maine seafood at the center of everything. The scallops in a blanket are already becoming one of the must-order dishes, balancing buttery richness with fresh coastal flavor. The eggplant dip is unbelievably good and adds a unique twist to the menu, while the steamed buns are soft, flavorful, and honestly addictive. On top of all that, the seafood is incredibly fresh, which is exactly what you want from a summer restaurant in Portland.
Since opening, Ladyfish has quickly become one of the hottest new dining spots in the city, proving that Portland’s restaurant scene continues to thrive with creative concepts and unforgettable seafood experiences.
22 Seasonal Maine Restaurants Worth Visiting for a Delicious Meal
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
10 Maine Lobster Pounds You Need to Try This Summer 🦞
Summer plans = eating your way through these 10 Maine lobster pounds!
Gallery Credit: Arlen Jameson
Massachusetts
Trial of accused Boston serial rapist Alvin Campbell Jr. begins today
The trial of Alvin Campbell Jr., accused of sexually assaulting and attacking nine women from 2017-2019, is set to get underway on Monday.
Campbell is the older brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell.
The 45-year-old faces a number of charges for allegedly sexually assaulting and attacking nine women between 2017-2019 in Boston. According to court records, he would intentionally seek out young women late at night near bars and restaurants, posing as a rideshare driver.
While most of the attacks happened in his car, there is one account of a 26-year-old woman who says Campbell Jr. drove her from Boston to his Cumberland, Rhode Island, apartment, where he assaulted her.
Right now, he is in custody. He has been held without bail since his arrest in 2020. He continues to insist that all of the encounters he had with the women in question were consensual.
On Monday, he will finally begin the process of trying to prove his innocence to 17 jurors. The jury was selected over the last week. The trial is expected to last several weeks.
Opening statements will lead off Monday’s proceedings.
When asked about the trial, Andrea Joy Campbell said, “I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect.”
New Hampshire
Wrong-way driver hits state trooper’s cruiser head-on in New Hampshire
A 21-year-old New Hampshire woman was arrested after she allegedly drove the wrong way on Route 101 and collided with a responding state trooper’s cruiser.
State police say Cassandra Aldecoa, of Dover, is facing felony charges of reckless conduct, second-degree assault, and criminal mischief, as well as misdemeanor charges of aggravated driving under the influence and driving under the influence.
There were multiple calls to state police around 1:47 a.m. Sunday reporting a Nissan Kicks that was traveling east in the westbound lanes of Route 101 in Exeter.
Trooper Shane McClure was among those to respond, when he encountered the Nissan between Exits 8 and 9. According to state police, McClure made the decision to place his fully-marked state police cruiser in the path of the wrong-way driver in an effort to end the possibility of tragedy to anyone else.
His cruiser was then struck by the Nissan.
Authorities said Hernan Marrero was driving the wrong direction on Route 1 in Lynnfield when he hit Massachusetts State Police Trooper Kevin Trainor.
McClure, Aldecoa, and her passenger, identified as 21-year-old Zachary Lapierre, were all evaluated by medical personnel, and it was determined they did not have any significant injuries.
Lapierre, of Lebanon, Maine, is also facing misdemeanor charges in connection with the crash, including disorderly conduct, contempt, and violating conditions of release. Aldecoa and Lapierre were both held on preventive detention and are scheduled to be arraigned in Brentwood District Court at 11 a.m. Monday. It’s unclear if either one has obtained an attorney.
An investigation is underway, and anyone with information that could assist state police is asked to contact Trooper Cameron Vetter at Cameron.S.Vetter@DOS.NH.GOV.
-
Illinois3 minutes agoPritzker family tree: Illinois’ richest dynasty
-
Indiana9 minutes agoFrom Bright to Bestseller Dreams: Local Author Writes Thriller Series Around Moores Hill
-
Iowa15 minutes agoStorms cause significant damage to Kingsley in Northwest Iowa
-
Kansas21 minutes agoKansas Hispanic Education & Development Foundation offers more than scholarships
-
Kentucky27 minutes agoKentucky Wildcats News: Jamal Crawford dream lives on
-
Louisiana33 minutes agoLouisiana primary narrows field for open utility commission seats
-
Maine39 minutes agoThis New Maine Seafood Restaurant Just Opened in the Former Bar Futo in Portland
-
Maryland45 minutes agoMost Maryland sheriffs drop arrest agreements with ICE despite vows to fight a new state law – WTOP News