Massachusetts
Second Massachusetts Town Spurns State TOD Zoning Mandate
According to the Patriot Ledger, voters at a town meeting in Marshfield, Massachusetts (pop. 25,905), rejected a proposed plan that would pave the way for transit-oriented development. The proposal to rezone 84 acres to allow multifamily housing would have brought the town into compliance with the statewide MBTA Communities Act, which requires “177 towns and cities across Massachusetts designate at least one zoning district within a half mile of public transportation that allows for multifamily housing by right,” reports Hannah Morse.
Marshfield residents’ rejection of the state mandated zoning change comes two months after voters in Milton, Mass. (pop. 27.003) revoked their previously approved zoning changes, which prompted the state to sue the town and cancel a $144,800 grant for a local seawall.
Marshfield has until December 31, 2024 to submit plans to the state that zone for a minimum 1,185 units, or 10 percent of its housing stock (Milton’s deadline was the end of last year), but Morse reports that Marshfield Town Counsel Bob Galvin told residents in advance of the vote that he believes the state will sue immediately and that their case could be combined with Milton’s.
“If you’re expecting them to rule that this state law is illegal, I think, being candid with all of you, we’re likely to be unsuccessful,” Galvin told town meeting attendees.
Massachusetts
Massachusetts housing market is even competitive for burned down homes
(WJAR) — Massachusetts’ housing market is becoming so competitive, even homes destroyed by fire are attracting strong interest from buyers.
In Dorchester, a burned and condemned multi-family property recently sold in days.
Damaged homes in Massachusetts still have a competitive market. (NECN)
That Dorchester home, which had significant fire damage, sold for $776,000.
The home has been boarded up and empty for over a year and a half.
The listing agent says groups of people were quote “waiting in the wings” to see what would happen with it.
In a tight housing market like Boston’s, these types of properties offer rare opportunities for investors that are eager to take on major renovation projects.
It showcases a broader trend where even severely damaged homes can attract serious interest in the greater Boston housing market.
For developers, the limited land, strong demand, and potential to build equity are all very appealing.
The properties show even after a disaster, there’s still demand in the market.
Massachusetts
Video shows lightning strike near Massachusetts family:
A Southboro, Massachusetts family came within feet of being struck by lightning on Tuesday, and the entire incident was caught on camera.
Brad Robillard had just got home with his son and daughter. “It sounded like a bomb was going off,” Robillard said.
As he went to get his daughter out of the back seat of his pickup truck, an explosion happened right behind him.
“I had literally just told my son that the chances of getting struck by lightning are pretty slim,” said Robillard. “It was the hair raising on the back of your neck, then immediately right after, it went off.”
Robillard knew there was thunder and lightning in the area. He counted to “10 Mississippi” before getting out of the car. It’s common teaching to determine how close lightning is. You start the count after you hear thunder and then divide by 5. It gives a rough estimate of how many miles the last lightning strike was.
“I had counted to 10 before we got out of the car and I’m like yeah, it’s OK. I never thought it would be on top of us on the next one,” said Robillard.
In the video you can see an explosion happening right behind him, but he doesn’t believe that is the lightning strike. There is a tree in his backyard with a line of bark shaved off the side. He thinks the lightning struck the tree, ran into a metal fence in their backyard, and then climbed their home and exited from a soffit at the roof. There are burn marks at the soffit and scorch marks on parts of the fence.
“The path of least resistance, then that big explosion behind me,” said Robillard.
The surveillance footage of the incident made quick rounds on the internet, but Robillard is still trying to wrap his head around what happened.
“At the time it’s like, ‘Wow what is going on?’ Then we ran inside and the adrenaline wears off, that’s what you start thinking about,” said Robillard.
Massachusetts
As online sexual exploitation grows, laws need to catch up – The Boston Globe
You’d think a predator in our own backyard — no matter how far-flung his victims — would be a wake-up call to lawmakers to tackle the growing problem of online sexual exploitation of children. Well, think again.
Sure, Gavin’s wide-ranging national and international exploits made him a natural for federal prosecution. But the mere fact that the Massachusetts State Police received 23,000 reports about child exploitation in 2025 via the CyberTipline — a 77 percent increase over the previous year — would surely indicate the problem is growing right under our noses.
And yet Massachusetts remains an outlier among other states in adapting its own laws to deal with the sexual exploitation and abuse of children generally and its newest manifestation — the proliferation of internet exploitation whether on the so-called dark web or social media outlets.
Massachusetts, for example, remains one of only five states in the nation that has failed to criminalize AI-generated or computer-edited materials involving the sexual exploitation of children.
According to the advocacy group EnoughAbuse.org, half of those laws approved in other states were passed during the 2024-25 legislative cycle. Massachusetts did pass a bill in 2024 to criminalize “deep-fake nudes,” the group noted on its website, but it was not specifically to protect children, nor has anyone been prosecuted under it, according to the website.
And while lawmakers on Beacon Hill have advanced — although not yet passed — legislation to prohibit the use of AI-generated “deep fakes” in election ads and materials, they have not made a similar effort to confront their use to exploit children, whose only “crime” might have been to post a photo on the web that could then be manipulated or “nudified” via AI.
Assistant US Attorney Luke Goldworm, the prosecutor in the Gavin case, told the Globe the exploitation is very real.
“They’re not dots and pixels, ones and zeros,” Goldworm said. “They’re someone’s daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, and friend. And these crimes steal their innocence. It robs them of the safety all children should feel in their own home.”
The most obvious way to close that gaping loophole in Massachusetts law, advocates say, would be to update the state’s child pornography law.
Today predators are using every available avenue to reach children — including those ubiquitous game boxes. One of Gavin’s victims — the one whose father helped investigators make the case against the Brookline teacher — was a 12-year-old Tennessee girl Gavin managed to find via her Microsoft Xbox.
Meanwhile, states continue to play whack-a-mole with social media companies like Meta and tech giants like Apple, demanding more safety controls to protect children. Apple is now also facing a suit by West Virginia’s attorney general for allegedly knowingly allowing its iCloud storage platform to host illicit images of children. The suit charges that “Rather than implement industry-standard detection tools used by its peers, Apple repeatedly shirked their responsibility to protect children under the guise of user privacy.”
Meanwhile, as predators get ever more savvy about using technology to exploit and victimize children, Massachusetts remains behind the curve even on the simple stuff.
Legislation aimed at mandating education about child sexual abuse prevention for students and school personnel continues to languish. So too enhanced screening for those seeking to work in school systems. And while there’s no evidence that Gavin exploited those in his immediate orbit or that any of his employers knew of his illegal activities, there’s also no reason for Massachusetts not to approve legislation to prevent “passing the trash,” as it’s known — where one school system knowingly passes along those employees guilty of sexual misconduct to another school system.
All of those concepts are included in an omnibus bill, which also would close the age-of-consent loophole that has allowed the sexual exploitation of 16- to 18-year-olds by adults in positions of authority, like teachers, coaches, or counselors. The latter concept has been approved by 39 other states.
But that legislation has been languishing in the House Ways and Means Committee since September.
Sure, tech companies need to do more to protect children. Parents, often bewildered by the technology that seems to be second nature to their children, need to be more vigilant. But there is simply no excuse for Massachusetts lawmakers to ignore legislation that would educate children about the dangers of online sexual abuse and criminalize the conduct of predators in their midst and those who would enable them.
Editorials represent the views of the Boston Globe Editorial Board. Follow us @GlobeOpinion.
-
Lifestyle45 seconds agoFed up with L.A.’s housing market, renters are turning to savvy apartment scouts for help
-
Politics7 minutes agoColumn: Obama’s strong terms curbed Iran. Trump struggles to secure even a weak deal
-
Science13 minutes agoFeds declare Eaton fire was a cleanup success. Their testing shows otherwise
-
Sports19 minutes agoHigh school baseball: City Section playoff scores and updated schedule
-
World31 minutes agoMerz’s plan of ‘associate membership’ for Ukraine gets mixed reviews
-
News1 hour agoThe Girls: “If it was your daughter” : Embedded
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours ago2 red-tailed hawk nestlings rescued after 63-foot fall in Santa Clarita
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoFormer Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan drops out of Michigan governor race