Massachusetts
Gov. Healey says
BOSTON – Swifties everywhere are rejoicing after Taylor Swift released her 11th album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” on Friday, and Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey is also “Ready For It.”
Healey posted a reel to Instagram referencing the new album and the fifth track titled “So Long London.”
The video showed a re-enactment of tea being dumped into the harbor with the caption “Massachusetts Swifties listening to ‘So Long, London’ on the 249th anniversary of the American Revolution.”
Healey also threw in hashtags #lexington and #concord – where it all began – for good measure.
Fans in the comments praised the governor, saying, “I love being from Massachusetts. I cannot believe this is a real post.” Another wrote, “Boston Tea Party — Taylor’s Version.”
Taylor Swift events across Massachusetts
Who could be afraid of little old Taylor Swift? Certainly not Massachusetts! “Down Bad” fans across the state are ready to celebrate the Grammy winner with an array of events.
Events begin as early as 6 p.m. Friday night. with a listening party at the Fenway Community Center.
Swifties can head over to Rail Stop Restaurant & Bar in Brighton at 10 a.m. on Saturday for a themed brunch.
The Boston Public Library is hosting a release party from 3 p.m. until 4 p.m. on Saturday. Fans can listen to the album, play Bingo, and make friendship bracelets.
If you’d like to celebrate Swift a bit later in the day, the House of Blues is hosting a “Fangirl Fantasy” album release party on Saturday night that begins at 7 p.m.
Swift at Gillette Stadium
Healey welcomed Swift to Massachusetts last year with a special citation that referenced iconic songs by the artist.
Back in May of 2023, Swift performed three nights of her sold-out Eras Tour at Gillette Stadium. Taylor said that Gillette was “the most joyful place on earth.”
Massachusetts
Monson’s Church Manufacturing Dam removed, Chicopee Brook restored
MONSON, Mass. (WWLP) – The Massachusetts Division of Ecological Restoration (DER) has overseen the complete removal of the 170-year-old Church Manufacturing Dam in Monson.
The project, which has resulted in a free-flowing Chicopee Brook, is now in its planting and ecological restoration phase.
This effort represents one of the region’s most significant river-restoration milestones this year. The ongoing work aims to improve flood resilience, water quality and wildlife habitat in the area. It also reduces long-term public safety risks while strengthening climate resilience for the community.
Following the completion of construction, residents can now observe a restored, free-flowing Chicopee Brook. This is where the 170-year-old dam had stood for generations, allowing the brook to run unimpeded.
The area that once comprised the dam’s impoundment, covering 14 acres, is actively transitioning. This space is becoming new wetlands and native habitat, fostering a more natural ecosystem.
Beyond ecological benefits, the dam removal project addresses critical community concerns. It reduces long-term public safety risks and strengthens the overall climate resilience of the Monson area.
All facts in this report were gathered by journalists employed by WWLP. Artificial intelligence tools were used to reformat information into a news article for our website. This report was edited and fact-checked by WWLP staff before being published.
Local News Headlines
WWLP-22News, an NBC affiliate, began broadcasting in March 1953 to provide local news, network, syndicated, and local programming to western Massachusetts. Download the 22News Plus app on your TV to watch live-streaming newscasts and video on demand.
Massachusetts
It’s not just white sharks: Massachusetts shark researchers ‘closely monitoring’ another shark species this season
This is just jaw-some.
Another shark species has the attention of local white shark researchers, who will be “closely monitoring” an additional apex predator this season as beachgoers return to the water.
Dusky sharks — which were spotted attacking seals off Nantucket in the past — have also been seen off Orleans’ Nauset Beach, where great white sharks are frequently spotted during the summer and fall.
Local white shark researchers previously had not observed dusky sharks preying on seals off Massachusetts, but now it seems like the shark species is making a comeback in these northern waters.
“It’s something we’re going to be keeping track of this year,” said Megan Winton, senior scientist with the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy. “We’re definitely going to be closely monitoring them.
“Some people might say, ‘Oh great, now we have another shark species we have to worry about at the beach,’ but the public safety messaging stays the same,” Winton added. “The same ‘Shark Smart’ behaviors still apply.”
To the untrained eye, dusky sharks can look like big white sharks.
They are large-bodied, about 8- to 10-feet long, typically grey with dusky margins on the fins. While a white shark’s fin is triangular, a dusky shark’s fin slopes and curves.
Dusky sharks are not as beefy as white sharks, and their tail movements are more snake-like.
Dusky sharks are potentially dangerous to beachgoers due to their large size and occurrence in shallow coastal waters, though they have been implicated in few interactions with humans, according to the Florida Museum of Natural History.
“The same messaging goes with a second shark species feeding on seals: You don’t want to be swimming with shark food,” Winton said. “That means seals and big schools of fish.
“Also, we’ve learned that white sharks spend a lot of time in shallow water hunting for seals, so be aware of your depth when visiting our beaches,” she added. “Always pay attention to the lifeguards, and don’t swim or surf alone. Anytime you’re going into a wild environment and you know large predators are around, pay attention and be smart about it.”
Researchers put real-time shark receivers off the Cape, so lifeguards get instant updates if a tagged white shark is nearby. The lifeguards will then order everyone out of the water for some time.
Also, beachgoers are urged to report shark sightings to the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy’s Sharktivity app. The app helps raise awareness of the presence of white sharks off the coast. The app sightings are fed by researchers, safety officials, and users who upload photos for confirmation.
Last week, the first confirmed white shark report of the season was off Martha’s Vineyard when a shark fatally bit a seal.
This is the typical time of year when great whites return to the Cape and Islands to hunt for seals.
Winton over the winter was off South Carolina, where she helped tag seven white sharks. One of those sharks recently pinged off Maryland.
“Some are making their way north already as the water temperatures tick up,” Winton said.
Over the weekend, a porbeagle shark beached itself and died in Rhode Island’s Point Judith Pond.
“The species itself isn’t that surprising as they love colder water and unlike many other sharks that have yet to arrive, this shark was likely getting ready to follow the colder water north as our waters slowly warm,” the Atlantic Shark Institute posted.
The shark was apparently first found wedged in rocks by the breakwater at Salty Brine State Beach in Galilee, but then the shark freed itself and started swimming in circles. The porbeagle then swam into Point Judith Pond and eventually died.
“Thanks to everyone who reached out to us over 24 hours to provide information and video on this shark along with Greg Skomal at MADMF and John Chisholm from New England Aquarium,” the Atlantic Shark Institute wrote. “Both aided our executive director in reviewing all the video and photos to identify this shark.”
Massachusetts
Trial of accused Boston serial rapist Alvin Campbell Jr. begins today
The trial of Alvin Campbell Jr., accused of sexually assaulting and attacking nine women from 2017-2019, is set to get underway on Monday.
Campbell is the older brother of Massachusetts Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell.
The 45-year-old faces a number of charges for allegedly sexually assaulting and attacking nine women between 2017-2019 in Boston. According to court records, he would intentionally seek out young women late at night near bars and restaurants, posing as a rideshare driver.
While most of the attacks happened in his car, there is one account of a 26-year-old woman who says Campbell Jr. drove her from Boston to his Cumberland, Rhode Island, apartment, where he assaulted her.
Right now, he is in custody. He has been held without bail since his arrest in 2020. He continues to insist that all of the encounters he had with the women in question were consensual.
On Monday, he will finally begin the process of trying to prove his innocence to 17 jurors. The jury was selected over the last week. The trial is expected to last several weeks.
Opening statements will lead off Monday’s proceedings.
When asked about the trial, Andrea Joy Campbell said, “I am praying for the survivors and all those affected. It takes extraordinary courage to come forward, and they deserve dignity and respect.”
-
Wyoming4 minutes agoInfluencer who caused outrage in Australia for snatching baby wombat faces jail time in Wyoming for hunting violations
-
Crypto10 minutes agoNew Cryptocurrency Pepeto Crosses $10M as Minnesota Banks Get Green Light for Crypto Custody
-
Finance16 minutes agoAustin financial staff propose delaying bond to 2028
-
Fitness22 minutes agoDavina McCall, 58, on the tough but transformational exercise regime she swears by
-
Movie Reviews34 minutes ago‘Ben’Imana’ Review: Rwandan Women Confront National Wounds and Family Secrets in a Searing Drama
-
World46 minutes agoNato ships in Hormuz if the Strait does not reopen by July
-
News52 minutes agoVideo: Tornado Rips Through Rural Community in Nebraska
-
Lifestyle2 hours ago15 books our critics can’t wait for this summer