Connect with us

Massachusetts

Alex Bregman’s failed contract talks with Red Sox enter Massachusetts ambulance debate

Published

on

Alex Bregman’s failed contract talks with Red Sox enter Massachusetts ambulance debate


Alex Bregman’s failed contract negotiations with the Red Sox have entered into a debate around a Massachusetts city’s selection of a new ambulance provider, ending a 25-year partnership with a previous company.

The city of Medford is set to transition to Cataldo Ambulance on Monday, following weeks of back-and-forth with the City Council, which requested that leaders pause the move until more information and transparency were provided.

City Councilor George Scarpelli has advocated for the city to stick with Armstrong Ambulance, a company that he says provided “impeccable” service for the past quarter century, instead of bringing in Cataldo.

During a meeting last week, Scarpelli compared the city’s discussions in selecting a new ambulance provider to Bregman’s contract negotiations with the Red Sox.

Advertisement

“Those people that follow the Red Sox — Alex Bregman was going back and forth while the Chicago Cubs gave a better deal. He’s gone now,” Scarpelli said. “Well, at least they went to the Red Sox and said, ‘What is it? Can you do this?’ And the Red Sox said, ‘No. We’re not gonna give you a no-trade clause. We’re not gonna put that in.’”

“It’s no different,” the city councilor added.

Bregman signed a five-year, $175 million deal with the Cubs last week, after he opted out of the three-year, $120 million contract that he signed with the Red Sox last February.

Unlike the Cubs, the Red Sox refused to offer Bregman, who turns 32 in March, a full no-trade clause. This was a top priority for the veteran third baseman, who sought a stable long-term home to raise his two young sons.

“Literally, the first second free agency really opened, it felt like we knew the Cubs wanted our family to be here,” Bregman told reporters in Chicago on Thursday. “We had a lot of conversations over the course of the first three months of the offseason. … It was pretty evident they wanted me to be here.”

Advertisement

In Medford, controversy swirled after Mayor Breanna Lungo-Koehn and other officials announced before the new year that the city had entered into a three-year contract agreement with Cataldo, breaking away from Armstrong.

Officials reiterated that the city didn’t terminate a contract with Armstrong and that the last agreement with the company expired in November. Concerns ranged from inadequate response times to a claim that the company refused to pay $75,000 in annual reimbursements owed to the city.

Nina Nazarian, the mayor’s chief of staff, emphasized that officials continued talks with Armstrong while beginning negotiations with Cataldo last spring.

“Honestly, I wish we weren’t here today. I think you all know that,” Nazarian told councilors last Tuesday. “I want to state that we frankly just didn’t want this to drag on. I also want to state very clearly that we didn’t want to cast shade on Armstrong Ambulance, but here we are.”

City officials have also highlighted how they expect service to improve through Cataldo as the company provides resources in responding to mental health and substance use emergency calls.

Advertisement

Scarpelli said he found it “alarming” that contract negotiations reportedly didn’t involve the fire and police chiefs, the city’s dispatch supervisor, nor the mayor. He claimed that the city’s outside legal counsel, KP Law, spearheaded discussions.

“That’s all I ask for: Everybody sit back at the table. We wouldn’t be here right now,” Scarpelli said. “We would clarify and clean up certain issues.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Massachusetts

Commonwealth of Massachusetts honors soldier Robert Russell Arnold who died suddenly

Published

on

Commonwealth of Massachusetts honors soldier Robert Russell Arnold who died suddenly


A soldier from Massachusetts has died while on active duty.

According to State Representative Steve Xiarhos, on Sunday, the United States flag and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts flag were lowered to half-staff in honor of Robert Russell Arnold, a dedicated soldier of the United States Army.

Staff Sergeant Arnold died suddenly on February 1st.

Advertisement

An obituary noted that he was a proud Lance Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corp. for 5 years, before joining the U.S. Army. 

Robert spoke German, Russian, French, and Latin, which he learned attending Boston Latin School, Class of 2016. 

His parents will hold a Celebration of Life once Arnold’s body returns from Alaska.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Massachusetts

Snow returning to parts of Massachusetts Wednesday. Maps show what to expect in Boston area.

Published

on

Snow returning to parts of Massachusetts Wednesday. Maps show what to expect in Boston area.


If you thought winter was over in Massachusetts, the weather forecast for the Boston area this week is a reminder that the snow is still very much here.

We are currently tracking several chances for snow and a wintry mix over the next seven days as a very active and stormy pattern is emerging.

Three chances for snow in Massachusetts

There will be three chances for wintry precipitation in the next five days, each of which will have a higher potential impact then the last. 

On Tuesday, there will be a very minor event with some scattered snow flurries and showers passing through in the morning. We do not believe this will have much, if any, impact on the Tuesday morning commute. Some widely scattered coatings are possible. 

Advertisement

The stakes are raised a bit more for an event Wednesday so, the WBZ-TV Weather team has issued a NEXT Weather Alert for Wednesday midday through Wednesday night.

Wednesday snow forecast

This is not a typical storm by any means. It will be more of a “strip” or “channel” of rain and snow that will extent hundreds of miles outward form the parent low pressure system in the upper Midwest. The trick to correctly forecasting this event will be to nail the location of the 100 mile wide strip of precipitation.

WBZ-TV graphic

CBS Boston

Advertisement


The precipitation will arrive in the late morning or midday on Wednesday with the northern half being snow and the southern half rain.

Currently, the odds favor areas north of the Massachusetts Turnpike for accumulating snow with mainly rain or a rain/snow mix south of the Pike.

The entire event lasts for about 12 hours, tapering off by midnight.

Who gets the most snow Wednesday?

Chances for plowable snow are highest along and north of the Mass Pike. 

Again, there will be a strip of snow between 50-to-100 miles wide (north to south) where most of the accumulation occurs.

Advertisement

map4-copy.jpg

WBZ-TV graphic

CBS Boston


Friday snow highest potential

Friday brings yet another storm threat, this one with the highest potential of the week.

map3-copy.jpg

WBZ-TV graphic

CBS Boston

Advertisement


While it is a bit too early for specifics, this one could be more of a “natural” New England coastal storm with impacts potentially including:

  • Widespread, plowable snow
  • Strong winds
  • Coastal concerns

We will have more on this in the next few days. 

Also, some weather forecasting models are bringing yet another storm into our area Sunday and Monday. If all of these were to occur, this would be our busiest stretch of the entire winter.

The WBZ Weather Team will keep you updated every step of the way on WBZ-TV, CBS News Boston and WBZ.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Massachusetts

Massachusetts man facing multiple charges in Vermont

Published

on

Massachusetts man facing multiple charges in Vermont


A North Adams, Mass. man faces multiple charges, accused of stealing a credit card from a vehicle in Shaftsbury and using it for unauthorized purchases.

On October 14, 2025, at approximately 1:30 am, Vermont State Police was notified of a car break-in on Sycamore Lane in the Town of Shaftsbury. It was later discovered that multiple motor vehicles had been broken into, with a credit card belonging to Gail Hostetter, 40, being stolen directly from her motor vehicle.

MORE: Woman arrested for stealing car, cash in town of Ballston

It was reported that purchases were made using Hostetter’s credit card that were not authorized. Over months of thorough investigation with the review of video surveillance, eye-witness testimony, and digital forensics, it was discovered that Elijah Foucher, 22, was linked to using the credit card for several high value purchases.

Advertisement

MORE: Waterford man accused of stealing thousands of dollars from Saratoga County

On February 15, 2026, Foucher was brought into the Bennington Police Department for an interview, during which he was issued a citation to appear in the Vermont Superior Court – Bennington Criminal Division on April 13th, to answer charges including Grand Larceny, Identity Theft, Illegal Possession of a Credit Card, and False Pretenses.

Foucher was then processed at the Bennington Police Department and was released shortly thereafter.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending