Connect with us

Connecticut

Family called Connecticut police about suspect in D.C. Correspondents’ Dinner shooting, Trump says

Published

on

Family called Connecticut police about suspect in D.C. Correspondents’ Dinner shooting, Trump says


Family members of the accused gunman who tried to storm the ballroom at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner alerted police in Connecticut with concerns about the man, the president said Sunday.

In an interview with Fox News Channel, President Donald Trump said the man — who was armed with guns and knives — had written about targeting Trump administration officials.

Separately, police in New London confirmed in a statement that a person contacted them at approximately 10:49 p.m., about two hours after the incident. Police said the person expressed concern about events that unfolded earlier that evening at the dinner.

“The reporting individual wanted to share information they believed to be pertinent to the matter,” the statement said.

Advertisement

New London police immediately contacted federal law enforcement partners. Both local and federal officers then interviewed the person, according to the statement.

“The New London Police Department remains committed to working collaboratively with our law enforcement partners at all levels to ensure public safety,” the statement said.

New London police said their investigation into the matter is no longer active and directed further inquiries to the U.S. Secret Service. The federal agency didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The suspect, identified by law enforcement officials as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen of Torrance, California, was expected to face criminal charges on Monday from the Justice Department, whose acting leader, Todd Blanche, said the suspect traveled by train from California and checked in as a guest days earlier at the Washington hotel where the Saturday night gala dinner was held with its typically tight security.

Authorities said Allen attempted to charge into the cavernous ballroom at the Washington Hilton but was tackled to the ground in a violent scene that resulted in shots being fired, Trump being hurried off the stage and guests ducking for cover beneath their tables.

Advertisement

Fox reported Sunday that the White House said Allen’s brother contacted New London police and reported Allen had sent family members “an alleged manifesto outlining his intent to target administration officials.”

During a live telephone interview, Fox News journalist Jacqui Heinrich asked the president to comment on information she said was provided by the White House about the suspected shooter and his motive.

“I’m being told that he had a manifesto saying he wanted to target Trump administration officials,” Heinrich said. “He had a lot of anti-Trump and anti-Christian rhetoric on his social media accounts, and left a manifesto in his hotel room that his brother had notified New London police about prior to this incident.”

She added that secret service agents had been talking to Allen’s family members, and that Allen attended a No Kings protest in California. She asked Trump for his reaction to the new details.

“I heard about the London situation and I wish they would have told us about it a little bit,” Trump said. “But it is what it is.”

Advertisement

A law enforcement official familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press the suspected shooter sent writings to family members minutes before the attack in which he railed against Trump administration policies and referred to himself as a “Friendly Federal Assassin.”

The writings made repeated references to Trump without naming him directly and alluded to grievances over a range of administration actions and recent events, including U.S. strikes on drug smuggling boats in the eastern Pacific, the official said Sunday.

The official was not authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Allen’s brother contacted police in New London after receiving the writings, according to the official.

This story has been updated. Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Advertisement





Source link

Connecticut

22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury

Published

on

22-year-old man dies after crash on I-84 in Middlebury


MIDDLEBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — A 22-year-old man is dead after a crash on Interstate 84 in Middlebury on Saturday, Connecticut State Police say.

Crews from Troop A. responded to the scene between exits 16 and 17 on the Eastbound side at about 3:45 a.m. for reports of a two-car crash.

The both cars were traveling in the center lane near the South Street Bridge when the second car rear ended the first. The driver of the second car died as a result of the crash.

Connecticut State Police have identified the victim as 22-year-old James Hannan of Farmington.

Advertisement

Any witnesses to the collision are requested to contact Trooper James Perazzella #762 at (203)267-2200 or james.perazzella@ct.gov. The collision remains under investigation.



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

At least 50 people charged with animal cruelty in ‘significant’ police operation in Tolland Saturday

Published

on

At least 50 people charged with animal cruelty in ‘significant’ police operation in Tolland Saturday


TOLLAND, Conn. (WTNH) — Tolland Town Manager Brian Foley has shared more information about a “significant” police operation on Saturday which resulted in at least 50 people being charged with animal cruelty.

According to Foley, a criminal investigation operation involving Connecticut State Police and the Connecticut Department of Agriculture took place on Saturday in connection to an alleged large-scale “cockfighting” event at a secluded quarry off Mountain Spring Road that has been inactive for more than a decade.

A “significant number of arrests” took place on Saturday and at least 50 people were charged with animal cruelty. Hundreds of birds were found by investigators and “significant evidence” was recovered, according to Foley.

“While this type of event is shocking, yesterday’s operation demonstrated clearly that the Town of Tolland is not the place to attempt this type of criminal activity. Our law enforcement partners made that abundantly clear,” he said. “Animal cruelty of this type or any kind will never be tolerated in the Town of Tolland.”

Advertisement

This is a developing story, stay with News 8 for updates


Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.

Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Police investigating fatal crash in New Haven

Published

on

Police investigating fatal crash in New Haven


One person is dead after a car crash in New Haven on Saturday.

The crash occurred at the 600 block of Woodward Avenue, according to New Haven Police.

Stream Connecticut News for free, 24/7, wherever you are.

  WATCH HERE
Advertisement

Police said the car crashed into a tree.

No other information has been released.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending