Connect with us

Connecticut

EX-CT man gets federal prison in sex crime case. He has to pay the victim $100K.

Published

on

EX-CT man gets federal prison in sex crime case. He has to pay the victim 0K.


A former Connecticut man and “American Ninja Warrior” champion was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for receiving child pornography and enticement to travel for illicit sexual conduct, according to federal authorities.

Andrew Drechsel, 35, now of Saint Cloud, Florida, pleaded guilty on June 1, 2023, before Chief U.S. District Judge Renée M. Bumb in New Jersey to an information charging him with one count of receiving child pornography and one count of knowingly persuading, inducing, enticing and coercing a minor to travel interstate to engage in sexual activity for which the defendant can be charged with a crime, according to the office of U.S. Attorney Philip R. Sellinger.

Bumb imposed the sentence in Camden federal court, according to authorities. Bumb also sentenced Drechsel to 15 years of supervised release to pay $100,000 in restitution to the victim.

Authorities, citing documents in the case and statements made in court, said Drechsel lived in Hamden from 2014 to Nov. 8, 2019. The victim lived in New Jersey.

Advertisement

Law enforcement agents in 2019 searched one of Drechsel’s phones and “found images of child sexual abuse, including photos and videos of the victim when the victim was 14 and 15 years old,” authorities said in a statement. “Drechsel admitted that he originally met the victim in 2014 through his activities in the parkour community as an ‘American Ninja Warrior.’”

Authorities also said Drechsel “admitted texting the victim and discussing his plans to engage in sexual activity with the victim.”  Further, “at Drechsel’s urging, the victim traveled across state lines in July 2015 so that Drechsel could have sexual relations with the victim.”

Sellinger credited special agents of the FBI South Jersey Resident Agency, under direction of Special Agent in Charge of FBI Philadelphia Special Agent in Charge Wayne A. Jacobs, with the investigation leading to the sentencing. Sellinger also thanked the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office, the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office; the Cherry Hill Police Department; the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Connecticut; special agents of the FBI New Haven Resident Agency; the Connecticut State’s Attorney’s Office, Hartford Judicial District; the Connecticut State’s Attorney’s Office, New Haven Judicial District; the Windsor Police Department; the Hamden Police Department; and special agents of the FBI Tampa Resident Agency.



Source link

Advertisement

Connecticut

3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden

Published

on

3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden


MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.

New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.

Advertisement

The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.

To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer

Published

on

Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer


HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Eversource customers in Connecticut may see a double-digit rate hike next summer.

The electric company filed a letter of intent on Wednesday seeking a rate hike of about 11% across all customer classes and about 13% for residential customers. If the distribution rate is approved as proposed, it would begin on July 1, 2027.

A spokesperson for Eversource said the letter of intent details an annual operating revenue deficiency of about $503 million, not including storm costs between 2018 and 2023.

The economy, inflation, supply chain challenges and other factors increased equipment costs and materials across the utility industry, according to Eversource.

Advertisement

To maintain the level of “affordable reliability and resiliency” customers expect, an increased investment is needed, an Eversource spokesperson said.

Read the full letter of intent below:

The letter of intent is the first step in requesting that regulators review and adjust distribution rates to reflect the modern cost of maintaining electric systems and services.

Eversource Spokesperson Sarah Paduano’s full statement on Wednesday read:

“Today we submitted a letter of intent (LOI) to file a distribution rate review for our electric operations – the first in nearly a decade. Over the last 10 years, customers have experienced increased reliability as a direct result of our strategic investments in the electric system, and increased investment is needed to maintain the level of affordable reliability and resiliency that customers have come to expect. 

Advertisement

The LOI is standard procedure and submitted prior to filing the actual rate review application. This is the first step in the process to request regulators review and adjust current distribution rates to better reflect the cost of maintaining the electric system and safely delivering power to customers across Connecticut. Our LOI details an operating revenue deficiency of approximately $503 million annually, which excludes 2018-2023 storm costs. If approved as proposed, the average increase would be approximately 11% across all customer classes and approximately 13% for residential customers starting July 1, 2027.

Our storm costs are currently being evaluated by PURA in a separate docket, and we are hopeful regulators will authorize securitization for those costs, which is a specialized financing method that will allow those costs to be recovered over a much longer timeframe of 20 years and at a lower interest rate compared to the traditional six year recovery. If securitization is approved, this will substantially lower bill impacts for customers and allow us to keep the full amount of storm costs from our rate review application.

Connecticut Attorney General William Tong released the following statement Wednesday in response to the proposed rate increase:

“Connecticut families are getting crushed by unaffordable energy costs while Eversource executives crow to Wall Street over surging profits and rake in multimillion dollar bonuses. But they choose now to demand hundreds of millions of dollars more. Why? Because after years of litigation and lobbying, they finally ran their chief regulator out of town. They want a rate hike now not because they need one, but because they think they can get away with it. We’re going to scrutinize every profit, every bonus, every perk and every padded expense in their application and we’re going to be fighting for Connecticut families and small businesses at every step of this process.”

Paduano said there are no CEO, CFO, or company president salaries or variable pay included in the proposed rate request.

Advertisement

Consumer Counsel Claire E. Coleman also released the following statement on Wednesday on the rate filing:

“A letter of intent is the first step in the rate case process, where a company notifies regulators that it intends to seek a rate increase. Eversource will now have up to 60 days to file a full application, formally triggering what is expected to be one of the most consequential utility review proceedings in years. Once filed, OCC will aggressively scrutinize the company’s request, conduct discovery, cross examine Eversource witnesses, and present recommendations to PURA to ensure customers are not asked to pay for anything beyond the most necessary and cost-effective investments. My office will prioritize keeping  costs as low as possible for consumers already struggling with affordability challenges, while promoting critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, consumer protections, and overall system reliability. Because Eversource has not undergone a rate review since 2018, this case will provide the first real opportunity in years to thoroughly examine the company’s operations, spending decisions, and priorities under a microscope. This process will also provide multiple opportunities for members of the public, community organizations, and elected officials to participate through public hearings and written comments submitted into the record. OCC strongly encourages consumers to stay engaged throughout the proceeding and to visit our website or contact our office directly for information on how to participate.”


Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.

Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search

Published

on

Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search


(WFSB) – The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Board of Regents met to discuss the search for an interim chancellor.

The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, with nearly the entire time spent in executive session. Before the board adjourned, they said no action was taken that needed to be publicly addressed.

The board elected a temporary chair who almost immediately moved to make the discussion private.

“The board will now go into executive session to discuss preliminary drafts and notes as well as personnel matters,” said Ari Santiago, Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities.

Advertisement

The meeting comes after the former chancellor, his replacement and the board chair stepped down in the last year amid controversies.

Last spring, former Chancellor Terrence Cheng was made a special advisor to the board after a state audit found thousands of dollars worth of questionable spending like travel and entertainment.

John Maduko was then named interim chancellor. Last month, he was put on administrative leave and then resigned. Documents obtained found Maduko was under investigation for sexual harassment.

This week, Board of Regents Chair Marty Guay resigned. In the complaint filed against Maduko, a woman says she did not report the harassment sooner because she says Guay told her he previously fired a woman for filing a sexual assault complaint.

Karen Bufkin, CSCU’s general counsel, is currently leading the system. She was part of the meeting.

Advertisement

Governor Ned Lamont says he plans to appoint a new chair for the Board of Regents by the end of this week.

Copyright 2026 WFSB. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending