Connect with us

News

Justice Dept. Takes Broad View of Trump’s Jan. 6 Pardons

Published

on

Justice Dept. Takes Broad View of Trump’s Jan. 6 Pardons

Four years ago, when F.B.I. agents searched the Florida home of Jeremy Brown, a former Special Forces soldier, in connection with his role in the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, they found several illegal items: an unregistered assault rifle, two live fragmentation grenades and a classified “trip report” that Mr. Brown wrote while he was in the Army.

Mr. Brown was ultimately tried in Tampa on charges of illegally possessing the weapons and the classified material. And after he was convicted, he was sentenced to more than seven years in prison — even before his Jan. 6 indictment had a chance to go in front of a jury.

On Tuesday, however, federal prosecutors abruptly declared that because the second case was related to Jan. 6, it was covered by the sprawling clemency proclamation that President Trump issued on his first day in office to all of the nearly 1,600 people charged in connection with the Capitol attack.

And if a judge eventually agrees with that assessment, it could mean that Mr. Brown — whose Jan. 6 charges were already wiped out by the presidential pardon — will get to go free on his other case as well.

The Justice Department’s position with regard to Mr. Brown is not the first time it has said in recent days that separate criminal cases emerging from the investigation of Jan. 6 — especially those involving weapons discovered during searches — should be covered by Mr. Trump’s sweeping reprieves.

Advertisement

Ed Martin, the acting U.S. attorney in Washington, advanced that view on Tuesday in the case of another pardoned Jan. 6 defendant, Daniel Edwin Wilson.

Mr. Wilson, a Kentucky-based militiaman, pleaded guilty last spring to charges of conspiring to impede or injure officers at the Capitol. And as part of his plea, he also admitted to possessing illegal weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition that were discovered during a search of his home as he was being investigated in connection with Jan. 6.

Just two weeks ago, Mr. Martin rejected the notion that the weapons charges were covered by Mr. Trump’s pardon. But he suddenly reversed himself this week, writing in a court filing that he had “received further clarity on the intent of the presidential pardon.”

“Under these circumstances,” Mr. Martin said, “the presidential pardon includes a pardon for the firearm convictions to which the defendant pled.”

Mr. Trump’s clemency proclamation says that anyone charged with or convicted of “offenses related to events that occurred at or near the United States Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021,” should either receive a pardon or have their case dismissed. And the Justice Department has increasingly taken the position that criminal behavior discovered during an investigation stemming from a suspect’s role in the Capitol attack is in fact related to Jan. 6.

Advertisement

Last week, for instance, the same U.S. attorney who handled Mr. Brown’s case moved to dismiss gun charges against another pardoned Jan. 6 defendant, Daniel Charles Ball. Only three days after Mr. Trump granted him clemency, Mr. Ball had been rearrested on an indictment accusing him of illegally possessing a firearm seized during a search of his home while he was being investigated for his Jan. 6 case.

In a similar fashion, federal prosecutors in Maryland asked a judge last Wednesday to release from prison Elias Costianes, a drug dealer who pleaded guilty in 2023 to illegally possessing a firearm even as he was awaiting trial on his Jan. 6-related charges.

Mr. Costianes recently began serving a two-year sentence on the weapons offense, but prosecutors have now sought to free him.

“After consulting with the Department of Justice’s leadership, the United States has concluded that the president pardoned Mr. Costianes of the offenses in the indictment,” a federal prosecutor wrote in court papers to a federal appeals court that Mr. Costianes had asked to let him go. “He should be immediately released from custody.”

The Justice Department has at times drawn lines, taking the view that not every crime committed by a pardoned Jan. 6 defendant is covered by Mr. Trump’s clemency decree.

Advertisement

Prosecutors, for example, have said they are unwilling to extend the pardon to a second case brought against Edward Kelley, a rioter from Tennessee who was convicted in November of plotting to assassinate the F.B.I. agents and police officers who investigated his Jan. 6-related case.

Mr. Kelley’s murder plot conviction, prosecutors wrote in a court filing last week, was simply not related to the Capitol attack.

“This case is about the defendant’s entirely independent criminal conduct in Tennessee, in late 2022, more than 500 miles away from the Capitol,” they said.

Mr. Martin’s office in Washington is also sticking — at least for the moment — by its plans to prosecute a pardoned rioter named Taylor Taranto. In June 2023, Mr. Taranto was arrested near the home of former President Barack Obama and the police found a cache of weapons, ammunition and materials that could be used to make explosives in his van.

Last month, following the instructions laid out in Mr. Trump’s pardon proclamation, Mr. Martin dismissed all of the Jan. 6-related charges Mr. Taranto faced. But he declined to drop the weapons offenses stemming from events two years ago, even though all of the charges were contained in the same indictment.

Advertisement

“Taranto’s actions in June 2023 in Washington, D.C., were not offenses occurring at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021,” Mr. Martin wrote.

News

Video: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

Published

on

Video: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

new video loaded: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

The theremin is an electronic instrument that emits a beguiling, oscillating sound. Thereminists use their hands to manipulate the electromagnetic fields around its two antennae to produce sound.

By Chevaz Clarke and Vincent Tullo

November 29, 2025

Continue Reading

News

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Published

on

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Intense solar radiation has exposed a critical vulnerability in Airbus A320 family aircraft software, leading to the grounding of thousands of planes worldwide until fixes are applied, marking the largest recalls affecting the company in its 55-year history.

The issue affects the Elevator Aileron Computer (ELAC B) with software version L104, which calculates elevation and controls flight surfaces, causing potential data corruption at high altitudes during solar flares.

This prompted the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to issue an Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) on November 28, 2025, mandating repairs before passenger flights resume.

An X-class solar flare appears in the lower right part of the Sun in this extreme ultraviolet image from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

WHAT HAPPENED?

The problem surfaced during a JetBlue Airways A320 flight (B6-1230) from Cancun to Newark on October 30, when the plane experienced an uncommanded pitch-down at 35,000 feet, injuring at least 15 passengers and forcing an emergency landing in Tampa, Florida.

Advertisement

Airbus’s investigation linked the sudden altitude loss, brief but severe enough to exceed normal limits, to solar radiation corrupting ELAC data, though the autopilot corrected the trajectory.

This marked the only known incident, but analysis revealed broader risks across A320ceo and A320neo variants.

FLY-BY-WIRE VULNERABILITY

A320 family planes pioneered “fly-by-wire” technology, where cockpit controls send electronic signals processed by computers like the ELAC to adjust elevators and ailerons, eliminating mechanical linkages for efficiency and safety.

Solar flares, intense bursts of charged particles from the sun travelling at light speed, can penetrate aircraft electronics at cruising altitudes, flipping bits in memory and corrupting elevation calculations in vulnerable L104 software.

Advertisement

In the worst cases, uncorrected faults could trigger uncommanded elevator movements, risking structural damages.

A JetBlue aircraft suffered a flight control issue and a sudden drop in altitude that resulted in some injuries in October this year. (Photo: Reuters)

FIXES AND GLOBAL IMPACT

Airlines must revert ELAC software to L103 or replace the hardware, a process taking about three hours per plane, before the next revenue flight; passenger-free “ferry flights” (up to three cycles) allow relocation to maintenance sites.

Roughly 6,000 aircraft, nearly half Airbus’s single-aisle fleet, are affected, impacting carriers like American Airlines, Delta, and IndiGo, with disruptions during peak holiday travel.

Airbus and EASA prioritise safety, apologising for delays while coordinating rapid implementation.

Advertisement

BROADER AVIATION RISKS

Solar activity peaks every 11 years, with the current cycle heightening radiation events that already disrupt high-altitude communications; this flaw underscores growing dependencies on radiation-hardened avionics amid climate-driven space weather monitoring needs.

Material rises from the edge of the Sun, as seen in extreme ultraviolet light by Nasa’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

Future mitigations may include shielded processors or real-time solar alerts, but immediate groundings prevent repeats.

Global regulators echo the urgency, ensuring no passenger flights until verified safe.

– Ends

Advertisement

Published On:

Nov 29, 2025

Continue Reading

News

Video: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

Published

on

Video: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

new video loaded: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

transcript

transcript

National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old member of the West Virginia Army National Guard, died on Thursday from wounds suffered in an ambush. President Trump said she was “outstanding in every way.”

Sarah Beckstrom of West Virginia… … started service in June of 2023. Outstanding in every way. She has just passed away.

Advertisement
Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old member of the West Virginia Army National Guard, died on Thursday from wounds suffered in an ambush. President Trump said she was “outstanding in every way.”

By Shawn Paik

November 27, 2025

Continue Reading

Trending