Wisconsin
Wisconsin’s governor creates new violence-prevention office in wake of school shooting
Wisconsin’s Democratic governor on Tuesday created a new office dedicated to preventing gun violence, a month after a school shooting not far from the state Capitol and an idea that drew immediate opposition from Republicans who said it was misguided.
Gov. Tony Evers also called on the Republican-controlled Legislature to pass a series of gun control and public safety measures, saying reducing violence should be a “shared priority that transcends politics.”
The Legislature has already rejected numerous gun control measures put forward by Evers, including universal background checks for gun purchases. But Evers said the shooting at Abundant Life Christian School last month demonstrated the need for lawmakers to act.
“Reducing crime and violence should be an issue that receives earnest bipartisan support,” Evers said at a news conference surrounded by gun control advocates, Democratic lawmakers and the mayor and police chief of Madison who responded to last month’s school shooting.
Republicans were not on board.
Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos blasted the proposal as “not well thought out” and said it amounts to “a whole bunch of touchy feely bureaucrats that are going to go around wasting time, wasting money and certainly not putting the effort where it’s deserved.”
“You know what the most effective violence prevention office is? The police,” Vos said at a news conference.
Republican Senate Majority Leader Devin LeMahieu was noncommittal, but he emphasized that GOP lawmakers have supported spending on other initiatives to address violence, including creating a state Office of School Safety.
Evers signed an executive order creating a statewide office of violence prevention, a move that does not require legislative approval. He said the office will work with local partners, including law enforcement agencies, nonprofits, school districts and gun shop owners with the goal of reducing gun violence.
Creating the office was discussed prior to the school shooting, but the shooting “cemented” his plans, Evers said.
Madison Police Chief Shon Barnes, who is leaving next month to become Seattle’s chief of police, called the new anti-violence office a “transformative approach to understanding and addressing the root causes of violence in our society.”
“No city, no matter the size, reputation, or claim to fame, is immune from gun violence,” Barnes said. “We must recognize that to truly safeguard our neighborhoods, we need a comprehensive understanding of violence that goes beyond traditional policing.”
The office will work to develop public education campaigns and promote safer communities, Evers said. It will also award grants to reduce violence, in particular gun violence, to school districts, firearm dealers, law enforcement agencies, nonprofits and government agencies.
Evers announced $10 million in federal funding to create the office. He said his state budget being submitted to the Legislature next month will request more state money to sustain the office over the next two years.
Vos said Assembly Republicans would oppose the request.
Evers also said he would be proposing a sweeping package of gun violence and public safety measures.
Republican majorities in the Legislature shrunk after the November election, leading Evers and Democrats to say they hoped for more bipartisanship and consideration of ideas that have been summarily rejected in the past. But following the Dec. 16 shooting at the Abundant Life Christian School in Madison that left a student, teacher and the 15-year-old shooter dead, Republicans have not voiced support for any gun control measures backed by Democrats.
Wisconsin polls have repeatedly shown high public support for a variety of gun control measures.
Evers in 2019 called a special session of the Legislature to pass a universal gun background check bill and a “red flag” proposal that would allow judges to take guns away from people determined to be a risk to themselves or others. Republicans immediately adjourned without debating the measures. It was the first of a dozen special sessions Evers has called since 2019, none of which have been successful.
Democrats have reintroduced those and more than two dozen other gun safety bills over the past six years, but Republicans have repeatedly refused to take them up. Republicans, instead, have introduced bills that would expand access to guns and discussed arming teachers. Evers in 2022 vetoed Republican bills that would have allowed holders of concealed carry permits to have firearms in vehicles on school grounds and in churches located on the grounds of a private school.
Wisconsin
Much of Wisconsin gets winter storm warning Saturday; latest forecast
Weekend snow could impact thanksgiving week in southern Wisconsin
Weekend snow could impact thanksgiving week in southern Wisconsin
Days after more than a foot of snow fell in northern Wisconsin, another winter storm could bring anywhere from six to 11 inches of snow to the southern half of the state.
All of southern Wisconsin is under a winter storm warning beginning Saturday, Nov. 29, according to the Milwaukee/Sullivan National Weather Service office.
The warning goes into effect beginning at 3 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 29 until 6 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 30 for the following counties: Marquette, Green Lake, Sauk, Columbia, Iowa, Dane, Jefferson, Lafayette, Green, Rock, Walworth, Racine and Kenosha.
The winter storm warning extends into southeastern Wisconsin beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 29 for Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Dodge, Washington, Ozaukee, Waukesha and Milwaukee counties. The warning will expire at 6 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 30.
In northeast and central Wisconsin, the National Weather Service in Green Bay has issued a winter storm warning from 9 a.m. Nov. 29 to 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Wood, Portage, Door, Waupaca, Outagamie, Brown, Kewaunee, Waushara, Winnebago, Calumet and Manitowoc counties. Snow is expected to be six to nine inches.
Lesser amounts of snow — between two and eight inches — are expected to the north, up to the Michigan border. Marathon, Menominee, Oconto, Shawano and southern Marinette counties are under a winter storm watch from morning through late night Saturday, Nov. 29.
In the western and southwest parts of the state, the National Weather Service in La Crosse has issued a winter storm warning between 3 a.m. Nov. 29 to 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Adams, Juneau, La Crosse, Monroe, Buffalo, Jackson and Trempealeau counties, with five to nine inches of snow expected.
There’s also a winter storm warning between midnight Nov. 28 and 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Crawford, Grant and Richland counties, with eight to 11 inches of snow expected.
The storm is expected to be a “long duration snow event,” NWS meteorologist Kevin Wagner told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Wagner said those traveling for Thanksgiving should keep an eye on the forecast.
“If you can alter plans to avoid the worst conditions, that would probably be the best idea,” he said.
Wisconsin weather radar
What to do in a winter storm
During winter storms, NWS advises staying inside, stocking up on food and water, and charging essential devices in case of power outages. If your heat goes out, NWS says you should:
- Close off unneeded rooms.
- Place towels or rags in cracks under doors.
- Close blinds or curtains.
- Eat and drink to provide your body with energy.
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight and warm clothing.
If you are without shelter, you can visit the 211 Wisconsin website or call 211 to locate nearby warming services.
NWS also advises against driving during a storm, as conditions can create dangerous driving conditions. For live updates on road conditions and accidents in Wisconsin, you can check out the 511 Wisconsin map.
Wisconsin
Boyd's career-high 36 points lead Wisconsin by Providence 104-83 in Rady Children’s Invitational
Wisconsin
Four-star receiver Jayden Petit decommits from Wisconsin football’s 2026 class
MADISON – Jayden Petit, one of the top-rated prospects in the Wisconsin football program’s 2026 class, changed his mind.
Wednesday, Nov. 26 the receiver from Naples, Florida, announced his decommitment from the Badgers.
He had been committed to UW since June. 26. His departure leaves the Badgers’ recruiting class at 13 players that include one receiver.
Petit, who lists himself as 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds on his X profile, attends St. John Neumann High School where he helped the football team reach the second round of the playoffs.
Petit is considered a consensus four-star prospect. He will play in he Navy All-American Bowl on Jan. 10 in San Antonio.
He announced his decommitment on X. It came hours after the Badgers received a commitment from former Boston College recruit Brady Bekkenhuis and one week before the beginning of the early signing period.
“This was not an easy choice,” he wrote. “I want to personally thank Coach Fickell, Coach Reid, Coach Grimes, Zach Zilm, Ethan Russo and Pat Lambert for believing in me, investing in me and taking the time to build a genuine relationship throughout the process. Every conversation, every visit, and every moment spent learning about Wisconsin meant a great deal to me and my family.”
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes