Milwaukee, WI
Reaction to meteorologist Sam Kuffel’s firing from Milwaukee CBS for saying Elon Musk ‘Nazi saluted twice’
Elon Musk’s gesture at inaugural event stirs controversy
Elon Musk’s gesture to Donald Trump supporters at post-inauguration rally stirs controversy.
A Milwaukee TV meteorologist lost her job Wednesday for posting to Instagram that Elon Musk “Nazi saluted twice” on Inauguration Day.
Employees at WDJT-TV (Channel 58) were told Wednesday that weather forecaster Sam Kuffel was no longer with the station, as reported by the Journal Sentinel.
As news of Kuffel’s firing reached the community, a number of people, nationally and locally, both supported and opposed the move by the local CBS affiliate.
Musk was speaking during the inauguration celebration Monday and was thanking supporters of President Donald Trump for the election result when he put his right hand to his heart and then fiercely threw his arm forward with palm facing down akin to a Nazi salute. Musk then did it a second time.
There’s debate on when that gesture originated, but many argue the Roman empire, hence why some refer to it as the Roman salute. Italy’s fascist leader, Benito Mussolini, his party, and the Nazis in Germany copied the idea, adopting a similar gesture with a slightly lower extended hand. The move is illegal in several countries, including Germany.
After making the gestures, the billionaire, born in South Africa, continued his speech, saying, “My heart goes out to you” while placing his hand on his chest. “It is thanks to you that the future of civilization is assured.”
The Anti-Defamation League, an antisemitism and human rights watchdog, called it an “awkward gesture” and urged caution in jumping to conclusions, but some self-identified white supremacists said they were emboldened by the gestures.
In one post on her personal Instagram account, Kuffel posted a picture of Musk at the podium, saying, “Dude Nazi saluted twice. TWICE. During the inauguration.”
She added, “You (expletive) with this and this man, I don’t (expletive) with you. Full stop.”
Kuffel then posted a GIF from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” on Instagram along with the saying, “Screw that old (expletive). He’s a Nazi.”
On Tuesday, conservative radio host Dan O’Donnell sharply criticized Kuffel for her two Instagram posts, accusing her of “spreading the lie that Elon Musk was giving a Nazi salute.” He labeled her posts “vulgar.”
Kuffel’s biography and picture had been removed from Channel 58 website by Wednesday afternoon.
“Meteorologist Sam Kuffel is no longer employed at CBS58,” said the staff memo from news director Jessie Garcia that was obtained by the Journal Sentinel. “A search for a replacement is underway.”
A spokeswoman for Weigel Broadcasting Co. confirmed via email late Wednesday that Kuffel was no longer with Channel 58. But the spokeswoman said she couldn’t comment further because this was a personnel issue.
Kuffel, 31, developed a social media following locally, typically commenting on Wisconsin sports teams and providing weather updates. She couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday.
According to her LinkedIn page, Kuffel joined Channel 58 more than five years ago. She previously worked at WAOW-TV (Channel 9) in Wausau after graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 2016. She was also a regular on the all-sports radio station WRNW-FM (97.3).
O’Donnell’s tweet and Kuffel’s subsequent firing set off a firestorm of social media reactions.
Supporters say Kuffel called it accurate and she should ‘sue’
Some support Kuffel’s firing and are joyous
Reddit photo likens O’Donnell to Hitler, radio host responds
Debate on Reddit heated up quickly. A photo of O’Donnell with a drawn on Adolf Hitler mustache began to circulate. The conservative radio host took to X on Wednesday:
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee crash closes I-794 EB lanes at Van Buren Street
MILWAUKEE – All eastbound lanes of I-794 were closed at Van Buren Street in Milwaukee on Monday night because of a crash.
What we know:
The crash happened around 7:42 p.m. near North Van Buren Street and East St. Paul Avenue.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX LOCAL Mobile app for iOS or Android
The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office is handling the incident.
Officials estimated the closure would last about two hours.
This is a breaking story. Check back for updates.
The Source: The Wisconsin Department of Transportation provided information.
Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee police investigating assault in parking garage
MILWAUKEE – There was a police presence at MacArthur Square parking garage in Milwaukee on Monday morning, May 18.
What we know:
According to the Milwaukee Police Department, officers were dispatched to the scene around 6:30 a.m. for reports of an assault.
One person was taken to the hospital.
Police continue to seek an unknown suspect.
Milwaukee police presence at MacArthur Square parking garage
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX LOCAL Mobile app for iOS or Android
FOX6 News is working to gather information about this incident. When we have more information, we will update this post.
The Source: The information in this post was provided by the Milwaukee Police Department.
Milwaukee, WI
Wisconsin’s Most Wanted: Erin Conley sought for child sex assault
MILWAUKEE – Investigators say a Milwaukee woman preyed on a little girl, then threatened her life. Erin Conley was charged with repeated sexual assault of a minor and went on the run.
Search for Erin Conley
What we know:
Investigators say the 27-year-old repeatedly forced herself onto the small child, then threatened her life if she told anyone.
“At some point, the child just experienced too much anxiety and stress and the fear of being harmed, which led to her finally coming out and saying something,” the U.S. Marshal said.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX LOCAL Mobile app for iOS or Android
In May 2025, Conley was charged with the repeated sexual assault of a minor. She was never arrested. Investigators have not been able to find her.
What they’re saying:
“It’s very important that Erin gets found and gets taken off the street and away from any children that she decides to prey on next,” the marshal said.
Authorities say Conley has been spotted around Milwaukee County, and is believed to still be in the area.
“We hope Erin would take responsibility for what she did,” the marshal said. “We are not going to let this kind of behavior continue. We can’t.”
SIGN UP TODAY: Get daily headlines, breaking news emails from FOX6 News
Conley is described as being 5’2″ tall and weighing 220 pounds.
Call with tips
What you can do:
Anyone with information about where Conley is located should call the U.S. Marshals Tipline at 414-297-3707. You will remain anonymous.
The Source: Information in this post was provided by the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force.
-
Detroit, MI14 minutes agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
-
San Francisco, CA26 minutes agoSan Francisco’s last jeepney helps highlight city’s Filipino culture
-
Dallas, TX32 minutes agoDallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back
-
Miami, FL38 minutes agoFIFA launches official World Cup merchandise shop in Miami Beach
-
Boston, MA44 minutes agoWith the World Cup weeks away, Boston and the T clash over Summer Street closure – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO50 minutes agoDenver weather: More rain expected this week
-
Seattle, WA56 minutes agoThe Seattle Opera Hosted Its First Official Furry Night – The Stranger
-
San Diego, CA1 hour agoWhat we know about the San Diego shooting victims, suspects, possible motive and more