Connect with us

Michigan

Holland's Hoekstra elected new Michigan Republican chairman

Published

on

Holland's Hoekstra elected new Michigan Republican chairman


LANSING, Mich. — Pete Hoekstra has been chosen as the new Michigan Republican Party chairman.

The Michigan GOP formally announced Hoekstra’s selection shortly after noon Saturday.

Hoekstra, 70, was born in the Netherlands. He, his wife and their three children reside in Holland.

On Saturday morning the Michigan Republican Party State Committee met in Lansing to select a new permanent chairman to lead the party after Kristina Karamo was voted out on Jan. 6. Karamo and her supporters have refused to recognize that vote. At that time the Michigan Republican Party named Malinda Pego of Muskegon County as the interim chairwoman.

Advertisement

The Michigan GOP announced shortly thereafter that Hoekstra had been chosen “and is officially the new Chair of the Michigan Republican Party.” Lena Epstein and Vance Patrick also were in the running for the position.

Hoekstra served as a U.S. Congressman from Michigan from 1993 to 2011 and as U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands from 2017 to 2021.

He was a candidate for governor in 2010 and for the U.S. Senate in 2012.

PREVIOUS STORY:

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/michigan/former-mi-congressman-pete-hoekstra-running-for-migop-chair

Advertisement





Source link

Michigan

More heat, storms expected in West Michigan Tuesday

Published

on

More heat, storms expected in West Michigan Tuesday


GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Another warm and stormy day is inbound for West Michigan.

A few showers and thunderstorms will kick off Tuesday, though these are expected to be subsevere. A cold front will follow in the afternoon triggering the chance of additional showers and storms once again.

At the moment, the greater threat appears to be well southeast of Grand Rapids. Unlike Monday, Tuesday is more likely to have scattered cells rather than a swath of storms. These will likely develop between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

High temperatures on Tuesday will once again reach the low 80s. Much cooler air surges in for the middle of the week, keeping storm chances far away.

Stay with Storm Team 8 for the latest.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Man wrongly convicted of killing 2 Michigan hunters in 1990 agrees to $5.25M settlement

Published

on

Man wrongly convicted of killing 2 Michigan hunters in 1990 agrees to .25M settlement


DETROIT — A man who spent nearly 21 years in prison for the deaths of two Michigan hunters agreed to a $5.25 million settlement after accusing police of failing to turn over evidence that could have helped him at trial, a lawyer said Monday.

Jeff Titus was released in 2023 and his murder convictions were erased at the request of prosecutors. The Innocence Clinic at University of Michigan law school and two investigators got authorities to acknowledge that an Ohio serial killer might have been the person who killed the hunters in 1990.

Titus had long declared his innocence.

“It’s been a long road for Jeff,” attorney Wolf Mueller said. “He’s 74. He lost two decades of his life. The money doesn’t make up for the loss of decades, but it allows him to put this part of his life behind him.”

Advertisement

An email seeking comment from the lawyer who defended a retired homicide detective in the lawsuit wasn’t immediately answered.

Doug Estes and Jim Bennett were fatally shot near Titus’ property in Kalamazoo County in 1990. Titus initially was cleared as a suspect, but murder charges were filed against him 12 years later. Prosecutors portrayed Titus as a hothead who didn’t like trespassers.

Students and staff at University of Michigan law school were trying to get him a new trial when a 30-page file from the original investigation was discovered at the county sheriff’s office. It was a blockbuster: It referred to an alternate suspect, Thomas Dillon of Magnolia, Ohio.

Jacinda Davis, at the TV network Investigation Discovery, and Susan Simpson, through the podcast “Undisclosed,” had raised doubts about Titus’ guilt and aired questions about Dillon’s possible role.

Dillon died in prison in 2011. He was arrested in 1993 and ultimately pleaded guilty to killing five people in Ohio who had been hunting, fishing or jogging.

Advertisement

The lawsuit that was settled Monday did not center on Dillon as an alternate suspect. Rather, police were accused of violating Titus’ rights by not sharing information that could have cast doubt on the trial testimony of a key witness, Mueller said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Severe storm threat targets Southeast Michigan through Tuesday — What to know

Published

on

Severe storm threat targets Southeast Michigan through Tuesday — What to know


Warm and humid air will remain in place across southeast Michigan today and Tuesday, creating favorable conditions for multiple rounds of strong to severe thunderstorms. Stay weather aware with our 4Warn Weather app as storms may bring damaging winds, large hail, torrential rainfall, and isolated tornadoes. We have issued a 4Warn Weather alert for both afternoons and evenings.

Severe Weather Risk Today

A Slight Risk for severe weather covers nearly all of southeast Michigan today as an approaching disturbance interacts with unstable air and increasing humidity. Scattered thunderstorms could develop later this afternoon and evening. These storms will have the potential to produce:

  • Damaging wind gusts

  • Large hail

  • Locally heavy rainfall

  • Isolated tornadoes

The primary window for severe weather is expected between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., although a few isolated storms could develop earlier in the afternoon. Rain and thunderstorms may also linger into the late evening hours.

Another Round Possible Tuesday

The severe weather pattern is expected to continue Tuesday with another Slight Risk (Level 2 out 5) covering all of southeast Michigan. Warm, unstable conditions will clash with an approaching cold front and once again support thunderstorm development during the afternoon and evening hours, especially between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Tuesday’s storms may again be capable of producing:

Advertisement
  • Damaging wind gusts

  • Large hail

  • Heavy downpours

  • Isolated tornadoes

Make sure to monitor our forecasts closely and have multiple ways to receive weather warnings during both days.

Cooler Air Arrives Midweek

After the active weather pattern exits, a significant cooldown is expected across the region. Temperatures will fall nearly 20 degrees from Tuesday into Wednesday as cooler and drier air moves into the Great Lakes. High temperatures on Wednesday and Thursday are expected to remain in the 60s, bringing a refreshing break from the recent heat and humidity. Overnight lows will be in the 40s, so the cooldown doesn’t propose a threat for frost.

Memorial Day Weekend Outlook

Looking ahead, conditions appear much more comfortable for Memorial Day weekend. Forecast highs are expected to return to the 70s with seasonable late-May weather anticipated across southeast Michigan.

Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending