Connect with us

Indiana

Indiana State Transfer Shooting Guard Ryan Conwell Set to Visit NC State

Published

on

Indiana State Transfer Shooting Guard Ryan Conwell Set to Visit NC State


NC State Guard Kam Woods has entered the Transfer Portal.

Woods played in 13 games for the Pack this season, averaging 7.5 minutes per game. The last game that he played in for NC State was their 83-65 win over Syracuse in the ACC Tournament, playing 3 minutes in the contest.

Woods’ best game for the Wolfpack came in his debut on December 16th against Tennessee, when he scored 9 points in 8 minutes of play.

Advertisement

Originally, it looked like Woods wasn’t going to be able to play, because he was forced to sit out the year due to NCAA Transfer rules. After a court ruling, Woods was made immediately eligible, and played his first game against the Volunteers.

In 2022-23, Woods played for North Carolina A&T, averaging 17.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.6 steals. He led A&T in points, assists and three-pointers, and earned Second Team All-CAA honors.

Prior to heading to Greensboro, Woods played for Northwest Florida State Community College, where he averaged 11.0 points, and shot 38.5% from beyond the arch. Ultimately, Woods was key in leading NFSCC to the NJCAA National Championship.

In his first year in college, Woods played for Troy, where he played in 23 games, starting in 12, averaging 10.3 points per game.

Woods has 1 season of eligibility remaining.

Advertisement

As it currently stands, NC State now has 2 scholarships available heading into next year.





Source link

Indiana

Speedway one of numerous statewide locations people rallied against ICE in Indiana

Published

on

Speedway one of numerous statewide locations people rallied against ICE in Indiana


Standing at the roundabout outside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Bonnie Feikes held a sign reading “End ICE Detention at Miami.”

“It’s just really simple. Has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with right and wrong, and what they’re doing to these detainees,” Feikes said, “including just taking them in as detainees, is just wrong.”

Some drivers passing by honked in agreement, others yelled in support of U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement. Feikes said for her the rally is about awareness.

“Even to get them to think that, ‘well, why are these people standing out here’,” Feikes said. “If it just changes one person, it’s worth it.”

Advertisement

Feikes was one of about two dozen people that gathered in Speedway to protest ICE and the agency’s use of Indiana’s Miami Correctional Facility to house detainees.

It was one of nearly 30 scheduled call to action events organized by the Indiana Organizing Project that took place across the state Saturday.

Demi Abbett was at the rally outside IMS and said she supports ending detentions at the facility.

“We want our state leaders to make this happen, where they’re not allowed to find beds here. If ICE has no beds, they can detain less people,” Abbett said.

The rally outside the speedway had an unlikely connection to the detention facility outside of Kokomo.

Advertisement

“People have been calling it the ‘Speedway Slammer,’ which is not okay,” Abbett said. “And so we’re out here to sort of just make people aware that that’s still happening.”

When the U.S. Department of Homeland Security first announced its plans to hold more detainees in the state last year; it coined the Miami Correctional Facility the “Speedway Slammer” with a logo of an IndyCar.

The partnership with the state provides up to 1,000 beds at Miami Correctional.

IndyCar and IMS officials quickly released a corporate statement and distanced themselves from the announcement.

“We were unaware of plans to incorporate our imagery as part of yesterday’s announcement. Consistent with our approach to public policy and political issues, we are communicating our preference that our IP not be utilized moving forward in relation to this matter.”

Advertisement

As of now, roughly 600 men are being held at the state maximum security prison. Detainees have reported poor treatment and spoke with U.S. Representative Andre Carson when he visited last month. Following his tour and meetings with detainees and people incarcerated there, Carson called for an end to detention at the facility.

“They are not violent criminals, and they don’t deserve to be detained,” Carson said.

People rallied against ICE along Mass Ave. Saturday, May 16th, 2026.

The last scheduled day of action event was a vigil on Mass Ave. in Downtown Indianapolis Saturday night.

A group gathered in front of the Ann Dancing artwork. People held candles, signed a banner and sang songs of resistance and hope.

Vigil organizer Kim Saylor handed out postcards with information about the movement to end ICE detention at Miami. The cards also encouraged people to write a letter to the Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Correction to end its agreement with ICE.

Advertisement

Saylor said they had to do something and wanted to create a space for people to come together.

“We sing because it hurts, and we worry about our family that doesn’t look as white as us and we help where we can,” Saylor said. “What I see here tonight is a bunch of people that care just like I do, and it doesn’t matter what you do to us, you can’t make us stop caring.”

Contact WFYI All Things Considered newscaster and reporter Samantha Horton at shorton@wfyi.org or on Signal at SamHorton.05 





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indiana

Possible recounts of tight state Senate races could extend into July

Published

on

Possible recounts of tight state Senate races could extend into July


(AP) — It could take several weeks to complete a recount — if one is sought — of the razor-thin margin in the Republican primary race between state Sen. Spencer Deery and his President Donald Trump-endorsed challenger.

The Indiana Recount Commission on Friday approved procedures for checking ballots in a possible recount just hours before the Tippecanoe County Election Board completed the final preliminary tallies in the Senate District 23 race.

As Tippecanoe County counted no additional ballots in the race, the totals from all six counties in the district showed Deery with a three-vote margin — 6,337 to 6,334 — over Fountain County Republican Chair Paula Copenhaver.

Recount filing period opened

Friday was the first day recount petitions could be filed with the state. A candidate has until noon Tuesday to do so, while any Republican county chair in the district faces a noon May 22 deadline to ask for a recount.

Advertisement

Copenhaver did not immediately seek a recount Friday, and neither she nor a campaign spokesman responded to messages from the Indiana Capital Chronicle seeking comment.

Deery, a first-term senator from West Lafayette, was among the Republican legislators targeted by Trump after voting against the congressional redistricting plan pushed last year by the president.

When asked about the prospect of a recount, Deery replied, “I don’t have anything to say about a request that hasn’t happened yet.”

Final tallies were also posted Friday in the Senate District 15 primary between Republican Sen. Liz Brown of Fort Wayne and challenger Darren Vogt.

Those results for the district, which is entirely in Allen County, showed Vogt picking up one vote from the preliminary figures. But Vogt still trailed Brown by 14 votes — 5,241 to 5,227.

Advertisement

Vogt did not respond to messages seeking comment about whether he would seek a recount.

Recount work could last into July

The state Recount Commission, meanwhile, approved Friday the selection of a recount director and guidelines for State Board of Accounts auditors in conducting any election reviews.

Recounts conducted in 2024 of two contested Indiana House primary races confirmed the initial results, finding only two miscounted ballots out of thousands.

But those reviews were not finalized until August — three months after the primary was held.

State Examiner Paul Joyce, who heads up the Board of Accounts, said after Friday’s commission meeting that the logistics are complicated for a recount spread over multiple counties.

Advertisement

The tight Deery-Copenhaver race involves all or parts of six counties spanning much of the area between Lafayette and Terre Haute.

Joyce said field auditors could need two days in each county to complete their work.

“If it’s in the six-county area, you’re talking a minimum of 12 on-site days,” Joyce told the Capital Chronicle. “It’s not going to surprise me if it’s into July. I would hope it’s done before the end of July and we don’t get into August.”

Morales responds to criticism

Republican Secretary of State Diego Morales is chair of the Recount Commission, along with Republican member Paul Mullin and Democratic member Michael Claytor.

Morales, who also chaired the commission during the 2024 recount, said “we are ready” to take up any requests.

Advertisement

“We’ve been preparing for this, just in case,” Morales told the Capital Chronicle. “If they will file a recount between today until noon next Friday, then we will be ready.”

Claytor asked at the end of the commission’s 15-minute meeting for Morales to respond to criticism of his role as the board’s chair because of his involvement with Turning Point USA, which endorsed Copenhaver, and public support of congressional redistricting.

“This is my duties, my responsibilities, and I will be chairing the Recount Commission,” Morales said. “If should there be any recount filed, we will be holding those meetings transparently for the public to see.”

The commission approved the appointment of attorney Jessica Dickinson as the recount director. Dickinson has been Indiana House parliamentarian, making her a key aide to Republican Speaker Todd Huston during legislative sessions. She has also worked for a Fishers law firm founded by Hamilton County Republican Chair Mario Massillamany and GOP state Rep. Chris Jeter.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Indiana

Motorcyclist killed in Wabash County crash after fleeing police

Published

on

Motorcyclist killed in Wabash County crash after fleeing police


WABASH, Ind. (WISH) — A motorcyclist is dead in Wabash County after striking a utility pole in the early hours of Saturday morning.

State police say just before 3 a.m., officers with the Wabash County Police Department attempted to stop a motorcycle after the rider ran a red light.

The motorcycle did not stop and “fled at a high rate of speed.” Just moments later, the motorcycle traveled off the roadway near the intersection of Miami Street and Walter Street, and struck a utility pole.

Despite life-saving efforts, the rider was pronounced dead at the scene.

Advertisement

The person’s name has not yet been released by the Wabash County Coroner’s Office.

State police are actively investigating the incident, and no further information has been released.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending