Connect with us

Indiana

Indiana State Police prepared for busy holiday weekend

Published

on

Indiana State Police prepared for busy holiday weekend


With millions of Americans expected to hit the road for the holiday weekend, Indiana State Police are prepared for the uptick.

The weekend coincides the Indiana State Police’s Click It or Ticket Campaign, something Sergeant Ted Bohner says gives them more resources.

“It gives federally funded overtime to put troopers that can work some overtime at the end of their shift, beginning their shift, or on a day off, just to put some extra, extra eyes and cars on the road to make sure everybody’s safe,” Bohner said.

With construction ongoing, Bohner says they will continue to have a heavy prescense on US-31 with the Indy 500 taking place.

Advertisement

But says drivers need to pay attention to construction zones as well.

“Watch for those signs, they’re all going to be marked ahead of time, and just pay attention for maybe a different traffic pattern, definitely a reduced speed limit in those areas, and you know, just navigate it safely, you know, without distractions,” Bohner said.

Bohner also saying it’s important to prioritize safety during Memorial Day celebrations to protect yourself and others.

“There’s going to be a lot of parties, a lot of cookouts, that type of thing, and a lot of times some drinking is involved in that, so we just want people to make the smart choice and drive sober, and if they need a way home, either use the tried and true method of a designated driver, a cab or ride share, and or any other means just to get home safely,” Bohner said.

Bohner says the department wants to emphasize driving the speed limit, wearing a seatbelt if you are traveling and to never drive under the influence.

Advertisement



Source link

Indiana

Suspect accused of stealing from local barbecue restaurant arrested in Indiana

Published

on

Suspect accused of stealing from local barbecue restaurant arrested in Indiana


DEARBORN COUNTY, Ind. (WKRC) — Authorities in Indiana have arrested a man wanted for a break-in at a Tri-State business.

Pig Candy BBQ said the break-in happened at their location on Kellogg Avenue earlier this week. Employees say 44-year-old Chad Snider let himself into a rear gate that is used for deliveries and got away with tools and equipment.

Cincinnati Police sent out an alert asking people for help in finding Snider on Friday. He was arrested Saturday for a separate incident and is currently in the Dearborn County jail.

Comment with Bubbles
Advertisement

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Snider is not currently charged with anything related to the robbery.



Source link

Continue Reading

Indiana

Speedway’s Rockin’ on Main draws crowd, despite the rain

Published

on

Speedway’s Rockin’ on Main draws crowd, despite the rain


SPEEDWAY, Ind. (WISH) — Despite the rain and damp conditions, hundreds of people gathered on Friday evening for Rockin’ on Main, keeping the annual tradition alive with music, food and family fun ahead of the Indianapolis 500.

Attendees under umbrellas and in ponchos spent the day exploring vendors, enjoying live entertainment, and splashing through puddles. For many, the event is more than just a festival, it’s a yearly reunion with friends and family tied to the excitement of race weekend in Indiana.

Jameison Turk enjoyed dinner with her family. “My mom, my dad, my brother, friends, and family; it’s a big thing for Indiana, so I’m happy,”

Businesses and artists also filled the strip with pop-up shops and displays.

Advertisement

The Speedway Artist Collective featured a variety of Indy 500-inspired artwork and handmade items ranging from bracelets and T-shirts to fine art pieces.

“We have everything from stickers to fine art,” said Lisa Schmitz, founder of Speedway Artist Collective. “If you come in with your little ones, they’re going to find things that are appropriate for them, and you might find something to put on the wall in your home. We are here to represent not only Speedway but Indiana, and we have fans from all over the country and the world.”

Some artists showcased creative upcycled pieces, including handbags made from old Indy 500 programs and lamps crafted from vintage Indy 500 beer cans.

Even with the rainy weather, attendees said the atmosphere remained upbeat throughout the event. Cooper Miles said, “Everybody seems to be having a good time, good food, so nothing to complain about.”

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Indiana

Officer shot multiple times inside Indiana hospital ER

Published

on

Officer shot multiple times inside Indiana hospital ER


MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (WGN) — A police officer was shot Friday morning at a hospital in Michigan City, Indiana.

According to Indiana State Police, the officer was shot at around 7 a.m. at Franciscan Health Michigan City, located in the 3500 block of Franciscan Way.

The officer has been identified as Jon Samuelson, 33, a 12-year veteran of the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Office.

According to Indiana State Police, Samuelson, a K9 officer, was on his way to a training session when he spotted a disabled vehicle on State Road 2 near 900 West in LaPorte County.

Advertisement

The suspect, a 22-year-old man from of Chicago, asked the deputy to be taken to the hospital.

Samuelson dropped him at the emergency room at Franciscan Health. Around five minutes later, Samuelson returned to the hospital after learning that the man was allegedly involved in “criminal activity at a different location,” according to Indiana State Police.

Law enforcement sources told Nexstar’s WGN News the 22-year-old suspect was involved in a domestic-related carjacking in Chicago earlier, and, at around 6:05 a.m., FLOCK cameras saw the vehicle enter Indiana.

Chicago police said a 40-year-old woman was in verbal dispute when she was carjacked at her home just after 4:30 a.m.

While attempting to speak with, or arrest the suspect inside of the emergency room, Samuelson was shot three times, according to Indiana State Police. He was airlifted to a hospital in South Bend in critical condition.

Advertisement

Samuelson comes from a line of police officers. His father, a retired Michigan City officer, was employed as a security guard at the hospital and was there at the time, according to ISP.

His grandfather was the former chief of police of LaPorte.

Samuelson is married and has no children.

The suspect was booked into the Porter County Jail, according to Indiana State Police.

Formal charges have not been announced at this time.

Advertisement

Franciscan Health sent the following statement.

“The health and safety of our patients and staff is always our top priority. There is no active threat to patients, staff or the community at this time. The emergency department remains on ambulance bypass, but walk-in patients are being accepted through the main entrance to the hospital. Franciscan Physician Network medical offices on site are closed at this time. All other services and departments remain open as normal.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending