Connect with us

Midwest

Gorilla at Cincinnati Zoo placed in world's first 3D-printed titanium cast is healing well

Published

on

Gorilla at Cincinnati Zoo placed in world's first 3D-printed titanium cast is healing well

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

Having trouble? Click here.

A groundbreaking medical procedure is helping an injured gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Gladys, an 11-year-old gorilla, broke her arm last month in a scuffle with her siblings, according to a press release.

Advertisement

The gorilla was placed in the world’s first 3D-printed titanium cast, designed by GE Aerospace company Colibrium Additive also based in Cincinnati.

GORILLA, JUST 4 MONTHS OLD, DELIGHTS ZOO VISITORS WITH FUNNY FACES: ‘VERY HAPPY’

On May 16, one month after the incident, veterinarians at the zoo examined the animal’s injury and confirmed that the cast has been working.

Cincinnati Zoo primate team leader Ashley Ashcraft reported in a statement that Gladys tolerated the 3D-printed cast “much better” than she did the temporary cast placed on her arm during surgery.

“Despite it weighing about 8 pounds, she’s been able to get around better than we expected,” she said in the release. 

Advertisement

Gladys underwent surgery to repair her arm on April 14. 

TEXAS ZOO WELCOMES THIRD GORILLA IN 115 YEARS AFTER DOCTORS PERFORM EMERGENCY DELIVERY: ‘AN HONOR’

The zoo confirmed in a previous press release that it’s not unusual for gorillas to have these altercations with each other.

Cincinnati Zoo’s zoological manager of primates, Victoria McGee, called Gladys’ incident a “minor squabble.”

Gladys, pictured here, is an 11-year-old gorilla who lives at the Cincinnati Zoo. The zoo confirmed earlier that it’s not unusual for gorillas to have altercations with each other. (Cincinnati Zoo)

Advertisement

“She must have fallen in just the wrong way to break her arm, but the result was a complete, oblique fracture of her distal humerus,” she said.

The team hoped the titanium cast would be “more gorilla-proof,” since it’s made of the same material as the screws and plates that were placed in Gladys’ arm during surgery.

Gladys was attended to 24/7 in the first few weeks of her injury while she was separated from the other gorillas, the release noted.

Gladys will most likely remain removed from her pack and the public for a few weeks after cast removal to “take things slowly”

Advertisement

Cincinnati Zoo’s director of animal health, Dr. Mike Wenninger, confirmed that the keepers have “done a fantastic job” of keeping Gladys “distracted and happy” so she can heal.

“And the X-rays from yesterday show that healing is happening,” he said. “We’re going to keep her in a cast for another few weeks. After that, she will require physical therapy, but should be able to use her arm like she used to.”

The 3D-printed titanium cast, which weighs 8 pounds, is the first of its kind in the world, according to the zoo. (Cincinnati Zoo)

Gladys will most likely remain removed from her pack and the public for a few weeks after cast removal to “take things slowly” before being re-introduced, the release stated.

Cincinnati Zoo veterinarian Dr. Jessica Heinz said that she and her team will continue to work with Gladys through stretching and mobility exercises to ensure that she’s able to make similar movements on her own once she’s “out of the cast for good.”

Advertisement

Fox News Digital reached out to the Cincinnati Zoo for additional comment.

Fox News Digital also reached out for further information to Colibrium Additive. Shannon Morman, advanced lead engineer at the company, said that the “titanium cast took around 65 hours to print, and we were able to deliver it to the zoo team in under a week,” according to 3DNatives. 

For more Lifestyle articles, visit www.foxnews.com/lifestyle.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Milwaukee, WI

Portion of South 35th Street to close, impacting northbound travel

Published

on

Portion of South 35th Street to close, impacting northbound travel


Starting on Tuesday, May 26, a portion of the intersection at South 35th Street and West National Avenue will be closed to northbound drivers, city officials announced at a press conference on Wednesday, May 20.

Ald. JoCasta Zamarripa and Ald. Peter Burgelis announced that the new construction, which will close part of South 35th Street, is being led by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

While a part of the road will be closed, the 35th Street Viaduct will remain open.

The partial closure of the major thoroughfare is among a series of construction projects affecting Milwaukee travelers, including Dominique Alvarado-Gonzalez, who lives on the south side and commutes north each day to take her kids to school near Marquette University’s campus.

Advertisement

Before the construction began on the south side, Alvarado-Gonzalez said she would take South 16th Street, South 27th Street or South 35th Street to drive up to the north side of the city.

Now, all of those roads connecting the north and south sides have been impacted by repair projects through the Milwaukee Department of Public Works and the state Department of Transportation.

“The roads are all torn up,” Alvarado-Gonzalez said. “It’s like a puzzle getting in there … no matter what time of day you’re traveling, there’s traffic everywhere.”

Elected officials say they received no notice of road closure

At the press conference, Zamarripa said there was no communication between the department and the Common Council to help notify neighbors on the south side.

Advertisement

Burgelis said he learned about the project when a constituent tagged him in a Facebook post about the closure.

“There are instances where I think they have not taken the time to properly educate neighbors, constituents, commuters,” Zamarripa said. “I would like to speak with [the Department of Transportation] leadership … I am very concerned about the latest limiting of access to 35th Street.”

Zamarripa said she will be meeting with Public Works and Milwaukee Water Works to discuss how people should navigate the south side amid the latest closure.

“It’s just become untenable,” Zamarripa said. “I can only imagine how the average Milwaukeean feels when they’re trying to navigate city streets, and they just don’t know what’s going to be accessible and what isn’t.”

Street closures increase on Milwaukee’s South Side

Currently, the 16th Street, 27th Street, and 60th Street Viaducts are all closed, leaving the Sixth and 35th Street Viaducts as the only bridges connecting the near south side of Milwaukee to the rest of the city.

Advertisement

According to Zamarripa, the city’s Public Works department fought to keep the 35th Street Viaduct open, only partially restricting travel, to reduce the impact on residents.

“Closing down one of the two remaining access points I think is a very, very bad idea,” Burgelis said.

In addition to the bridges that are closed for repairs, the National Avenue Reconstruction Project, led by Public Works and the state Department of Transportation, has limited drivers on West National Avenue between South 39th Street and South 27th Street to westbound travel only during its first phase.

A portion of West Lincoln Avenue from South 27th Street to South 31st Street is also closed on the south side.

“These investments are needed, but we have to be able to coordinate them better so our residents aren’t impacted,” Burgelis said.

Advertisement

Closures affect local business on south side

Jose Lozoya, owner of National Liquor Mart and El Caporal Authentic Mexican Grill on South 16th Street and West National Avenue, said his profits decreased a bit when the National Avenue construction began, but he was given years of notice by Public Works to prepare for the impact.

The bridge closures, particularly the 16th Street Viaduct, have hit harder, Lozoya said.

Since the start of construction, Lozoya said his profits have decreased by 50% with the loss of road and foot traffic. He was not given any notice before the 16th Street project began and said he wasn’t asked to give input on the project as he was with the National Avenue Reconstruction. He had to call Zamarripa’s office to learn why the 16th Street Viaduct was closed, he said.

“I think they should have closed one viaduct at a time,” Lozoya said. “It’s affected a lot of us in the area … now we have to regain the business.”

Advertisement

Alyssa Salcedo covers Silver City, Layton Park and Burnham Park for the Journal Sentinel’s Neighborhood Dispatch. Contact her at asalcedo@usatodayco.com.

Neighborhood Dispatch reporting is supported by Zilber Family Foundation, Bader Philanthropies, Journal Foundation, Northwestern Mutual Foundation, Greater Milwaukee Foundation, and reader contributions to the Journal Sentinel Community-Funded Journalism Project. Journal Sentinel editors maintain full editorial control over all content. To support this work, visit jsonline.com/support. Checks can be addressed to Local Media Foundation (memo: “JS Community Journalism”) and mailed to P.O. Box 85015, Chicago, IL 60689.

The JS Community-Funded Journalism Project is made possible through our partnership with Local Media Foundation, tax ID #36-4427750, a Section 501(c)(3) charitable trust affiliated with Local Media Association, and EnMotive, LLC, a subsidiary of USA TODAY Co., Inc. USA TODAY Co., Inc. is the parent company of this publication.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis police say motor vehicle thefts up 24% compared to this time last year

Published

on

Minneapolis police say motor vehicle thefts up 24% compared to this time last year



Two women have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the death of a decorated U.S. Army veteran.

Advertisement

Amos Ferrier, 38, was responding to an attempted auto theft in south Minneapolis on Friday. Police say Ferrier, who was an Army medic, confronted the suspects as they tried to steal his car. He was either struck by or jumped on the hood of the suspects’ getaway car.

Ferrier was badly hurt and later died after he was thrown from the hood, police say.

So far this year, the Minneapolis Police Department has seen about 2,300 motor vehicle thefts. That’s a 24% increase from this time last year.

“Post-2020, post-George Floyd, all that stuff, the auto thefts went on a huge increase,” said Bryan Hermerding, a lieutenant who supervises the auto theft task force for Hennepin County.

This year, the sheriff’s office officially teamed up with the Edina, Minnetonka and St. Louis Park police departments to crack down on car crimes

Advertisement

“Outside of Minneapolis, we’ve seen a significant decrease in auto thefts in some ofthose suburban cities,” he said.

Through April, the task force has recovered 228 stolen vehicles and arrested 72 people, primarily kids.

“Any time that you can multiply resources and get people working on the same page and working together towards one common goal is huge,” he said.

While Minneapolis isn’t a part of the task force, Hermerding says they do work together and there have been talks of them joining.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades

Published

on

Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades


INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center announced it received new federal funding for facility upgrades aimed at improving care for veterans.

The funding is part of a nationwide $4.8 billion investment through the VA’s maintenance program.
In a release, hospital leaders say the upgrades will help ensure safer facilities and better care for local veterans.

The projects include repairing roofs on two buildings and replacing the parking garage sprinkler system.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “this investment is just one of the many ways the Trump Administration is making VA work better for veterans.” The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says 100,000 new veterans have been enrolled in VA health care this year, and since January 2025, 34 new VA health care facilities have opened.

Advertisement

In addition, 51,936 homeless Veterans across the country have been permanently housed in the 2025 fiscal year, according to the release.

“Improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure mean better care for Veterans, and these funds will enable Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center to achieve that goal,” Michael Hershman, Medical Center Director said.

“Better care for Veterans is our goal, and these projects will enable us to achieve just that.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending