Detroit, MI
Ukraine supporters rally in Detroit to raise awareness of 3-year war with Russia
Detroit — Hundreds of Ukrainian Americans and Ukraine supporters rallied in downtown Detroit Sunday to raise awareness of the war with Russia on its three-year anniversary.
Ukrainian Greek Catholic priests addressed the crowd at Hart Plaza and prayed for peace for their home country and its people.
Attendees wearing blue and yellow hats, holding Ukrainian flags or draping Ukraine flags around their shoulders strutted down Jefferson Avenue carrying signs that said, “Ukraine vs. Fascism,” “Support Ukraine. No Strings Attached,” “Help Ukraine = Save the World,” and more.
And they gathered to sing the Ukraine national anthem together.
The rally comes after Russia and the U.S. agreed earlier this month to start working toward ending the war in Ukraine and improving their diplomatic and economic ties.
Nate Hatton, 32, of Eastpointe attended the rally with a large group of Ukrainians Americans who held a part-American, part-Ukrainian flag.
“We should support democracy, freedom, not allowing another foreign country to invade another country without any repercussions and kill and slaughter innocent civilians,” Hatton said.
Hatton, a train conductor, said he volunteered to assist Ukraine in developing a railway and visited the country in October 2024. He said he spent two weeks in fear in Kyiv, especially after a 16-year-old girl was killed a mile from where he stayed.
“I didn’t know what being scared or really what real fear is until I was in a situation like that,” he said. “They showed me … how the war has changed their jobs (and) the situation in their country.
“I thought, naively, the capital was safe from some of the things that were happening miles away in eastern Ukraine. I spent every night in a bomb shelter while I was there. Nowhere in Ukraine is safe. I think the world shouldn’t standby and allow these types of things to go on.”
United Support for Ukraine and the Ukrainian-American Crisis Response Committee of Michigan organized the rally.
Andrew Powers of the Ukrainian American Crisis Response Committee said in an email that a peace agreement is not enough, and Ukraine needs to be involved in negotiations.
“A peace agreement that does not include serious security guarantees for Ukraine is realistically nothing more than a temporary ceasefire with the Russian Federation. Russia and their president want to rule all of Ukraine’s territory and will attack Ukraine again,” Powers said.
President Donald Trump’s recent remarks calling Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, a dictator amongst other harsh words have created a back-and-forth between the two presidents, creating more tension.
“President Trump’s remarks are disappointing because they are objectively false,” Powers said in an email. “Calling the democratically elected president of a free nation under attack by a nation that has an actual dictator, in Russia, is somewhat comical and has been met with objection from both Democratic and Republican lawmakers.”
Kateryna Odarchenko, founder of the Institute for Democracy and Development PolitA, said in an email the tensions could lead to two possible scenarios.
“One is that this tension transforms into constructive cooperation, particularly if Zelensky’s team presents a detailed economic plan to Trump’s campaign,” Odarchenko said.
“The second scenario revolves around Trump’s direct dialogue with Russia, framing the issue as one of U.S.-Russia relations rather than Ukraine specifically,” she said.
“Ultimately, for Ukraine to maintain strong cooperation with the U.S., a bipartisan dialogue is crucial, along with a clear economic strategy. Even if some territories remain occupied following negotiations, the key priority should be securing strong security guarantees.”
Oleksandr Kanievskyi of Westland held a sign that read, “Are we really leaders of the world?” as he stood near traffic on Jefferson Avenue with his wife and child. He also said he doesn’t agree with the U.S. government’s recent actions.
“Regarding the Canada sovereignty making them the 51 state of U.S., for me, that’s extremely embarrassing. Even if they are joking, I treat it quite serious, because my country is invaded right now,” Kanievskyi said.
Trump has repeatedly said Canada should be the 51st U.S. state as he proposes to erase the 5,525-mile-long border that separates the two countries.
“I do not agree with a lot of narratives going from U.S. administration: vice president, national security advisers. … I don’t see how it can be resolved by the strategy of leaving Ukraine alone with Russia,” Kanievskyi said. “Ukraine resists the brutal invasion by Russia so (that’s) the main goal why I’m here.”
Colton Hughes of Lansing, 35, held a life-size sunflower, Ukraine’s national flower, and a sign pointed at drivers as they drove down Jefferson Avenue.
“Looking back in history there’s a lot of parallels to what happened in Poland. I’m Polish. I see this as an intrusive invasion and the unnecessary killing of innocent people and taking what rightfully isn’t there’s of Russia and Putin,” Hughes said.
Hughes said he wants to see: “Putin and Russia leave Ukraine alone. … I want people to be free to live their lives and not worry about bombs flying down and exploding their houses.”
Detroit, MI
Twerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media
(FOX 2) – Twerking for your vote? Getting people to the poles? Making cheeks blush in an attempt to clench votes?
The puns write themselves, but that doesn’t mean Shelbie Campbell is any less serious about her run for Congress. The candidate is leaning on her social media following and leveraging provacative posts to build momentum for a shot at Michigan’s 13th Congressional District.
Big picture view:
A dive into Campbell’s TikTok reveals a mixture of dance videos and political commentary.
But the short clips are only a window into what is a very serious campaign for office. She advocates for women in leadership, arguing Detroit hasn’t had female representation in decades.
She wants education reform and systemic fixes to housing and health care.
And as a line worker and third-generation UAW member, she is in favor of better wages for the service and labor industry.
Dig deeper:
Campbell is currently in law school at Detroit Mercy. While she is not shy about her background — going as far as to post four separate mug shots from previous arrests — the 32-year-old single mom says accountability is “the only way to learn from our mistakes and grow together as a community.”
And in her pitch to voters deciding between her and incumbent Shri Thanedar, she said he has a hard time empathizing with those considering who to head to the polls for.
“I just want younger people in office and he’s a millionaire and I don’t have that and he does so it’s very hard for him to relate to the people,” she told FOX 2.
Twerking for votes
Campbell also does not plan to stop posting videos. Sex sells and in her eyes, it’s not a bad way to build her brand.
“I don’t do OnlyFans like everyone keeps saying. I was just having fun, I’m young and I’m taking advantage of social media,” she said.
In one video, she seizes on one of the many derogatory terms that others have called her.
“They were calling me a c*** so I just like to be sarcastic and if you’re going to call me names I’m going to make you feel awkward for doing so,” she said. “I’m just going to dish it back because why do you think you can talk to me like that?”
The other side:
FOX 2 reached out to Thanedar’s campaign for comment.
The Source: An interview with the candidate was cited for this story.
Detroit, MI
5 players who could help Detroit Lions in NFL free agency
Lions 2026 schedule manageable, but final 4 games will decide it all
A couple quick thoughts from Dave Birkett on the Detroit Lions’ 2026 schedule release, Thursday, May 14.
The Detroit Lions filled most of their biggest needs in last month’s NFL draft. They landed a new starting right tackle, a new rotational defensive end and depth help at linebacker, defensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver.
The Lions have one of the most complete rosters in the NFL, but the offseason’s not over. Training camps are still more than two months away and they sit $23.6 million under the salary cap, according to NFL Players Association records, the 14th-most available cap space in the NFL.
The Lions do not appear poised to make any notable additions before the league goes on hiatus next month, but they have the flexibility to do so if necessary.
Here are five players they can spend their money on to bolster their roster for 2026:
DE Cam Jordan
The Lions signed DJ Wonnum in free agency and traded up to take Derrick Moore in the second round of the draft. With Aidan Hutchinson locked in at one defensive end spot and Levi Onwuzurike capable of playing the big end role, the Lions have the makings of a solid group of edge rushers. But Moore’s a rookie, and Onwuzurike’s missed more games (43) than he’s played (42) in his five-year career, so there’s reason to believe the Lions still could use insurance at the position.
Jordan is more than insurance. He’s an eight-time Pro Bowler who had 10½ sacks last season at age 36 and won’t play cheap this fall. But he’s still a free agent, and until he signs, he’ll be considered the best fit for the Lions defense given his pass-rushing profile and familiarity with Dan Campbell from their days together with the New Orleans Saints.
DE Jadeveon Clowney
Sticking with the defensive end position, Clowney, like Jordan, is an aging pass rusher – he’ll play this fall at 33 years old – who can collapse a pocket and still showed the ability to get to the quarterback with 8½ sacks for the Dallas Cowboys last year.
If the Lions add another big end, that would free Onwuzurike up to play more inside, where the Lions have several young sub-package rushers (Mekhi Wingo and 2026 draft picks Tyre West and Skyler Gill-Howard) but little proven depth behind starters Alim McNeill and Tyleik Williams.
TE Will Dissly
The Lions missed on the chance to add a tight end in the draft with Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright and Tyler Conklin all on expiring contracts, but my sense is they feel comfortable at the position for 2026 after losing LaPorta and Wright to season-ending injuries last year.
If that changes, Dissly would be the best fit among the tight ends still left in free agency, assuming he’s healthy. Dissly is not the same pass-catching weapon as Jonnu Smith, and he wouldn’t bring the familiarity of Taysom Hill (with Campbell) or Pharoah Brown (with offensive coordinator Drew Petzing), but he’s one of the best run-blocking tight ends in football and did have 50 catches two years ago for the Los Angeles Chargers.
CB Trevon Diggs
I don’t know what Diggs has left in his body after a couple injury-filled seasons. He split his time last year between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers and allowed a passer rating of 154.2, according to Pro Football Reference.
Diggs is a long way removed from the 11-interception season he had in 2021, but at 27 years old, he’s a reclamation project some team will take a chance on this summer. The Lions have Rock Ya-Sin and Ennis Rakestraw waiting in the wings behind starters D.J. Reed and Terrion Arnold. I’d take both those players over Diggs. But if they suddenly need more depth at cornerback, Diggs is a better roll of the dice than other available free agents like Marshon Lattimore and L’Jarius Sneed.
NT Daniel Ekuale
The Lions signed Jay Tufele to a minimum deal after the draft to be their backup nose tackle. Tufele made two starts last season for the New York Jets and at 26 years old is younger than anyone on this list. He also missed the end of last season with a foot injury and has a half-sack total in his career.
If the Lions need another option at the nose tackle spot, Ekuale was a part-time player for the Pittsburgh Steelers last year who made 16 starts for the New England Patriots in 2024. He’s a big run stuffer who won’t dent the salary cap and would give the Lions another veteran option behind Williams.
Dave Birkett covers the Lions for the Detroit Free Press. Contact him at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Bluesky, X and Instagram at @davebirkett.
Detroit, MI
Pistons’ playoff run ends in Game 7 blowout to Cavaliers
Detroit — For the eighth time in 10 seasons, the top seed in the Eastern Conference has failed to reach the NBA Finals.
The Detroit Pistons are the latest, after seeing their season end Sunday night with a 125-94 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals in front of a sellout crowd inside Little Caesars Arena.
BOX SCORE: Cavaliers 125, Pistons 94
The Pistons had their poorest performance of the season at a critical moment. Four players scored in double figures, with Daniss Jenkins leading the way with 17 points and five assists.
Cade Cunningham finished with a career-playoff low of 13 points on 5-for-16 shooting, 0-for-7 from behind the arc, to go along with five assists and four rebounds in 37 minutes. Duncan Robinson added 13 points off the bench, while Caris LeVert finished with 11, also off the bench.
Donovan Mitchell scored a game-high 26 points, adding eight assists and seven rebounds. However, much of the Cavaliers’ offensive success came from Jarrett Allen and Sam Merrill, who each scored 23 points. Merrill shot 5-for-8 from behind the arc, all coming within the first half.
The Cavaliers held a 64-47 halftime lead, and at one point, led by as many as 35 points.
coty.davis@detroitnews.com
@cotydavis_24
-
Politics3 minutes agoTech leaders funding Matt Mahan’s campaign for California governor say it’s not about tech
-
Science9 minutes ago19 Legionella bacteria infections linked to Kaiser Bay Area hospital
-
Sports15 minutes agoHigh school softball: City Section Monday playoff scores, updated schedule
-
World27 minutes agoHow Philadelphia’s Democratic primary tests the bounds of US progressivism
-
News57 minutes agoLong Island Rail Road strike ends as MTA, unions reach tentative deal
-
New York2 hours agoRead the judge’s decision on evidence in the Luigi Mangione state murder trial.
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoSimi Valley School District cancels school Tuesday as Sandy Fire doubles in size
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoTwerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media