New Jersey
Masked thieves steal 3 vehicles from Camden County auto shop, owner says
OAKLYN, N.J. (WPVI) — A Camden County auto shop owner says masked thieves stole three of their most expensive vehicles during an early morning break-in Saturday.
The incident happened just after 6:20 a.m. at Saifo Auto Sales in Oaklyn.
Surveillance video shows several masked suspects arriving in what appears to be a newer gray BMW, reversing into the lot, and using a bolt cutter to break into the building.
Owner Tarek Saifo said the suspects appeared to act with precision.
“It didn’t seem like a coincidental theft; it seemed like someone who knew exactly where they were going. They knew what time to go,” said Saifo.
Saifo said three vehicles were taken: a 2020 BMW 4030, a white 2014 BMW 615, and a 2013 Infiniti M37. He said the thieves also took tools and a TV, but left behind the receiver that contained the shop’s surveillance footage.
Saifo says it will cost him about $34,000, and added that the suspects appeared to know where the vehicles’ keys were kept.
The business has only been operating for three months in Oaklyn. Previously, they were in Delran for four years. Saifo said its location along a busy highway may have made it an easy target.
“We got a security system installed, put bars on the windows and we’re just trying to make sure this never happens again,” he said.
Saifo said the financial impact is significant, noting the business does not have theft insurance.
“It’s just hard as a small business trying to recover from this. It’s going to take us years if we ever will,” he said.
Camden County police are investigating.
Copyright © 2026 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.
New Jersey
Why the Brooklyn Nets Need to Start Embracing Their New Jersey Roots More
It’s been nearly a decade and a half since the Brooklyn Nets moved out of New Jersey.
The organization has completely revamped its vibe since switching states, ditching the red, white and blue look for a very basic black and white colorway.
The Nets have also intermittently changed the colors of the banners hanging up in the Barclays Center from red, white and blue to black and white, much to the chagrin of traditional Nets fans.
Despite the Nets now playing in a bigger market and being far removed from their days in the Garden State, some fans seem to hope for the Nets to make their return across the river. New Jersey governor Mikie Sherrill was asked about the matter.
“I mean, would I support it? I ask about it all the time,” Sherrill said. “I love the idea. So, I have been pressing for that. I haven’t made a lot of headway yet; you know, maybe in my second 100 days.
“But I do think there is some work being done for some — I don’t know if I’m allowed to say too much about it — but some people are working on some different sports coming into the Rock.”
As time went on, the Nets eventually started to embrace more of their New Jersey roots, which started when they rocked a clean tie-dye jersey from the 90s during the 2020-21 season.
The next season, the Nets followed it up with uniforms commemorating their run in the 2000s, when the team got to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 and endlessly broke the ESPN top 10 with each crazy Jason Kidd assist and Vince Carter dunk.
It’s fitting that Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving, the latter of whom grew up in New Jersey as a Nets fan, got to rock these uniforms, helping boost the popularity of the New Jersey brand to a wide array of fans.
True Nets fans embraced the Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center and the swamps of East Rutherford, getting to witness a winning basketball team for a fraction of the cost of the team mired in dysfunction that happened to play their home games at “The World’s Most Famous Arena.”
Not many marquee free agents would have signed up to play in New Jersey, but real fans remember the good times in the swamps, especially with Sly the Fox as the team’s mascot. Those times deserve to be remembered properly.
Follow
New Jersey
Travelers hit the road to the Jersey Shore despite dreary Memorial Day weekend forecast
ATLANTIC COUNTY, N.J. (WPVI) — Drivers heading to the shore on Friday afternoon saw slow-moving traffic for several miles coming off the Walt Whitman bridge, but many travelers said the start of the holiday weekend was smoother than they anticipated.
Aldara Madden, who was traveling with her friend Elana Maser, said the trip moved faster than she expected.
“I was expecting it to take a lot longer,” she said.
Maser added that they left school early to avoid delays.
“My mom and I do that every year and then we always stop here as our little pre-down the shore,” she said.
Others shared similar experiences.
“I’m coming from Bucks County, so I was worried there was gonna be some traffic but it really wasn’t bad at all,” said Erin McFadden of Churchville, who was headed to Ocean City.
AAA reported that while slightly more people are traveling by car this year compared to last, 2026 is projected to have the lowest year-over-year travel growth rate in more than a decade, excluding the steep drop seen in 2020 during the pandemic.
The organization attributes the slowdown largely to concerns over rising prices.
“Gas is ridiculously expensive and I think all the time before going anywhere these days,” said Debbie Maser of Philadelphia. “But this is our happy place and nothing can keep us away.”
A dreary weekend forecast may also be influencing travel patterns.
“I was thinking that, I wonder if there’ll be less congestion on the roads because of the weather,” said Kyra Wolin of Massachusetts. “It’s not looking to be too good this weekend with the rain.”
Still, many shore-bound travelers said tradition outweighs any concerns about rain or crowds.
“No not at all. You go down. You get it done,” said George Miller of Lansdale.
Eric Wolin of Massachusetts agreed: “Never, never. Margate’s a special place for us.”
As the unofficial start of summer begins, travelers said they remain committed to kicking off the season in their favorite spots, not letting rain, traffic, or high prices keep them away.
Copyright © 2026 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.
New Jersey
New Jersey drought warning persists into summer months
This story is part of the WHYY News Climate Desk, bringing you news and solutions for our changing region.
From the Poconos to the Jersey Shore to the mouth of the Delaware Bay, what do you want to know about climate change? What would you like us to cover? Get in touch.
As summer begins, New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill is urging residents to limit lawn watering, and hand water flowers and shrubs as a drought warning continues. The warning, in place since December 2025, could turn into a drought emergency if conditions do not improve. The state has suffered eight consecutive months of below-normal rainfall, according to officials.
“New Jersey is experiencing a chronic water supply drought, the scale of which we haven’t seen in more than twenty years,” state geologist Steven Domber said in a statement issued earlier this month. “The indicators that we track closely are showing persistently dry conditions. With uncertainty for rainfall in the coming months, we need residents to conserve water today, to ensure we have enough to sustain our needs over the summer.”
The Department of Environmental Protection uses a variety of indicators to determine drought levels, including precipitation, stream flows, reservoir levels, ground water levels and demand.
In addition to the last two months, officials say, the state “experienced below normal precipitation for 20 of the last 24 months since September 2024,” despite heavy snowfall events this past winter that helped restore reservoirs in North Jersey.
“While we saw a little relief over the winter, New Jersey is feeling the effects of nearly two years of below-normal precipitation,” Sherrill said in a statement earlier this month. She urged residents to voluntarily conserve water.
New Jersey state climatologist David Robinson said that since precipitation has been below normal for most of the last 24 months, the recent winter weather did not provide enough water to help restore streams and groundwater.
Should a drought emergency be declared, mandatory water restrictions would be put in place. The last drought emergency lasted almost a year, between March 2002 and January 2003.
-
Connecticut2 minutes agoOvernight forecast for May 23
-
Delaware8 minutes ago
Delaware Memorial Day parades face challenges, still connect neighbors
-
Florida14 minutes agoSpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launch from Florida will kick off Memorial Day
-
Georgia20 minutes agoGeorgia Southern student-athletes recognized for community service and excellence through partnership with Downtown Statesboro Rotary
-
Hawaii26 minutes ago
USGS evaluates Kilauea after magnitude 6 quake near Hawaii’s Big Island
-
Idaho32 minutes agoIdaho Parents Owing Over $100,000 in Child Support Face U.S….
-
Illinois38 minutes agoDes Plaines Rises To No. 9 In Illinois On Latest ‘Best Places To Live’ List – Journal & Topics Media Group
-
Indiana44 minutes agoSpeedway’s Rockin’ on Main draws crowd, despite the rain