Connect with us

Massachusetts

Alex Bregman’s failed contract talks with Red Sox enter Massachusetts ambulance debate

Published

on

Alex Bregman’s failed contract talks with Red Sox enter Massachusetts ambulance debate


Alex Bregman’s failed contract negotiations with the Red Sox have entered into a debate around a Massachusetts city’s selection of a new ambulance provider, ending a 25-year partnership with a previous company.

The city of Medford is set to transition to Cataldo Ambulance on Monday, following weeks of back-and-forth with the City Council, which requested that leaders pause the move until more information and transparency were provided.

City Councilor George Scarpelli has advocated for the city to stick with Armstrong Ambulance, a company that he says provided “impeccable” service for the past quarter century, instead of bringing in Cataldo.

During a meeting last week, Scarpelli compared the city’s discussions in selecting a new ambulance provider to Bregman’s contract negotiations with the Red Sox.

Advertisement

“Those people that follow the Red Sox — Alex Bregman was going back and forth while the Chicago Cubs gave a better deal. He’s gone now,” Scarpelli said. “Well, at least they went to the Red Sox and said, ‘What is it? Can you do this?’ And the Red Sox said, ‘No. We’re not gonna give you a no-trade clause. We’re not gonna put that in.’”

“It’s no different,” the city councilor added.

Bregman signed a five-year, $175 million deal with the Cubs last week, after he opted out of the three-year, $120 million contract that he signed with the Red Sox last February.

Unlike the Cubs, the Red Sox refused to offer Bregman, who turns 32 in March, a full no-trade clause. This was a top priority for the veteran third baseman, who sought a stable long-term home to raise his two young sons.

“Literally, the first second free agency really opened, it felt like we knew the Cubs wanted our family to be here,” Bregman told reporters in Chicago on Thursday. “We had a lot of conversations over the course of the first three months of the offseason. … It was pretty evident they wanted me to be here.”

Advertisement

In Medford, controversy swirled after Mayor Breanna Lungo-Koehn and other officials announced before the new year that the city had entered into a three-year contract agreement with Cataldo, breaking away from Armstrong.

Officials reiterated that the city didn’t terminate a contract with Armstrong and that the last agreement with the company expired in November. Concerns ranged from inadequate response times to a claim that the company refused to pay $75,000 in annual reimbursements owed to the city.

Nina Nazarian, the mayor’s chief of staff, emphasized that officials continued talks with Armstrong while beginning negotiations with Cataldo last spring.

“Honestly, I wish we weren’t here today. I think you all know that,” Nazarian told councilors last Tuesday. “I want to state that we frankly just didn’t want this to drag on. I also want to state very clearly that we didn’t want to cast shade on Armstrong Ambulance, but here we are.”

City officials have also highlighted how they expect service to improve through Cataldo as the company provides resources in responding to mental health and substance use emergency calls.

Advertisement

Scarpelli said he found it “alarming” that contract negotiations reportedly didn’t involve the fire and police chiefs, the city’s dispatch supervisor, nor the mayor. He claimed that the city’s outside legal counsel, KP Law, spearheaded discussions.

“That’s all I ask for: Everybody sit back at the table. We wouldn’t be here right now,” Scarpelli said. “We would clarify and clean up certain issues.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Massachusetts

11-year-old girl from Rochester, Massachusetts dies in Utah avalanche while on vacation

Published

on

11-year-old girl from Rochester, Massachusetts dies in Utah avalanche while on vacation


An 11-year-old girl from Rochester, Massachusetts has died in an avalanche while on vacation with her family in Brighton, Utah.

The avalanche began just after 12 p.m. on Thursday near Brighton Ski Resort, according to police. The 11-year-old girl, identified as Madelyn Eitas, was the only victim caught in the snow.

The Unified Police Department said that rescuers arrived and quickly began looking for Madelyn, alongside 20 nearby citizens and her family. 

“It was just scary and crazy,” said Harrison Garner, one of the many people searching for Madelyn. “I was just super sad. Just thinking what if it was my family member, what I would be doing. And just thinking super sad for that family.” 

Advertisement

But it was Madelyn’s brother, Cameron Eitas, who “heroically used an application to locate her,” according to police. 

“Numerous agencies responded and worked together in an urgent and coordinated effort to care for the victim in attempts to provide life-saving measures,” a press release from police said.

Madelyn was unable to be airlifted out of the area due to risks from the avalanche. She was rushed to a nearby hospital in an ambulance in critical condition, where she later died. 

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family during this incredibly difficult time. The communities here in Utah, as well as the family’s home community in Massachusetts, now have the important responsibility of rallying around the family to provide support, compassion, and comfort in the times ahead,” Unified Police said in a statement.

“It’s a very solemn and depressing thing to have to notify people of and it’s very difficult to think of the idea behind a family being together and having something so tragic happen,” Unified Police Department’s Quin Wilkins said to CBS affiliates KSL-TV and KUTV. 

Advertisement

Madelyn attended Rochester Memorial School, according to Superintendent Michael Nelson. 

Nelson said that the school will be offering counseling for staff members and students. 

“This is devastating news for our school community. We offer our sincere condolences to the student’s family, friends, classmates, and teachers during this unimaginable time. Our focus at this time is on supporting those who are grieving and we ask that the family’s privacy be respected.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Massachusetts

3 Massachusetts museums ranked among the country’s best by USA Today

Published

on

3 Massachusetts museums ranked among the country’s best by USA Today


USA Today recently released its rankings of the best museums around the country, and several from Massachusetts and New England made the list.

The categories voted on by readers include best science museum, best history museum, best free museum and more. Massachusetts museums appeared on the lists for best open-air museum and best small town museum.

Plimoth Patuxet Museums

Plimoth Patuxet Museums in Plymouth, Massachusetts was named the best open-air museum in the country. 

Previously known as Plimoth Plantation, the museum replicates the first colonial settlement in New England and spotlights the Wampanoag people.

Advertisement

“Visitors can immerse themselves in living history while interacting with interpreters who portray Pilgrims at the 17th-century English Village,” USA Today writes.

The museum opens for the season on March 14. Tickets for Plimoth Patuxet are $35 for adults and $20 for children.

Old Sturbridge Village

Old Sturbridge Village in central Massachusetts is third on the open-air museum ranking. One of the oldest and largest living history museums in the country, it documents New England living between 1790 and 1840.

“This picturesque and expansive outdoor museum offers an engaging view of early American rural life,” the newspaper says.

Tickets are $27 for adults and $12 for kids when bought online.

Advertisement

Concord Museum

As America celebrates its 250th anniversary this year, there’s no better place to learn about the history of the Revolutionary War than the Concord Museum in Concord, Massachusetts, which is No. 2 on the newspaper’s list of the best small town museums.

The museum says it boasts “one of the largest and most significant collections of objects related to April 19, 1775, the day before the American Revolution began,” including the original lantern used by Paul Revere during his famous Midnight Ride.

Concord Museum tickets are $16 for adults and $8 for kids.

New England is also home to some of the best maritime museums in the country, USA Today said, with Connecticut’s Mystic Seaport Museum ranked No. 3 and the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath taking the top spot. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Massachusetts

Martha’s Vineyard residents left without propane to heat their homes for days

Published

on

Martha’s Vineyard residents left without propane to heat their homes for days


Residents on Martha’s Vineyard say propane delivery delays left some without heat for days during a stretch of frigid winter weather, prompting complaints to the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office.

Kerry Quinlan Potter said she was without gas for nearly five days.

“Four full days and most of the first day, so almost five days,” she said.

Potter said she struggled to reach AmeriGas while her home temperatures dropped during one of the coldest periods of the season.

Advertisement

Linda and Louis Pashman, who pay for automatic refill service, said their deliveries were also delayed and that it took days to reach the company.

“Getting no response or a response that they never follow through,” Linda Pashman said. “It was really distressing — it took over our lives.”

In a statement, AmeriGas said unsafe road conditions prevented delivery trucks from operating for several days.

“For several days, our delivery trucks were not able to be on the roads due to unsafe conditions,” the company said. “In addition, our delivery trucks are significantly larger and heavier than standard vehicles, requiring clear, safe access to complete deliveries.”

Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell’s office said it has received 21 consumer complaints against AmeriGas since October of last year.

Advertisement

Residents say they worry about vulnerable neighbors who may not be able to advocate for themselves.

“I’m really lucky, able-bodied,” Potter said. “We’ll get to the bottom of things, but there are other people who are not that relentless, and it can be challenging to navigate.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending