Connect with us

Nebraska

Federal cuts pause Nebraska opioid reduction program

Published

on

Federal cuts pause Nebraska opioid reduction program


LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) – The 12-month opioid reduction program was introduced in Nebraska hospitals back in September of 2024 as a way to prevent patients who needed painkillers after surgery from developing an addiction to them.

Less than a year later, and as those behind it say work was just beginning, funding for the program has been cut.

The program provided those undergoing an operation in Nebraska hospitals with a nurse before and after surgery, as well as at-home pain relief kits in an effort to prescribe the least amount of opioids to patients possible.

The $3 million of grant money used to fund that program was terminated by the federal government just last week, putting operations on pause. With that money being recalled, the pause on the program in its current form could be permanent.

Advertisement

The program was modeled to last until September 2025 and be implemented on over 4,000 patients. This cut comes just past the halfway point. In that time, those behind it say only 107 patients were able to be helped through it.

“Now you’re stopping it and you’re kind of wasting the money you’ve invested by not finishing the program completely,” Jeremy Nordquist, the president of the Nebraska Hospital Association, who represents more than 90 hospitals in the state, said. “If they wanted to stop it at the end of the fiscal year in September when the program was supposed to be done, and then now renew it after that, that would make a lot of sense. Then, at least you would have a baseline of data that you could use.”

Last Thursday, a federal judge temporarily blocked the cancellation of the funds that this program falls under. That case is still active, and the Nebraska’s opioid program will remain on pause until a final decision on the funding is made.

ALSO WATCH: Night Beat with Danielle Shenk

Night Beat: Aurora admin responds to Nazi flag photo, federal funding cut halts NE opioid program, Creighton introduces new VB coach & more

Click here to subscribe to our 10/11 NOW daily digest and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your email inbox.

Advertisement



Source link

Nebraska

Nebraska businessman Michael Yanney dies, lawmakers react

Published

on

Nebraska businessman Michael Yanney dies, lawmakers react


OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) – A Nebraska businessman and pillar of the Omaha community passed away over the weekend.

Michael Yanney, founder of Burlington Capital investment company, has died at 92 years old.

In May 2024, Yanney received the University of Nebraska – Kearney’s highest honor: the Ron and Carol Cope Cornerstone of Excellence Award.(University of Nebraska – Kearney)

Yanney was born in Kearney in 1933. He and his wife, Gail, founded “Partnership for Kids,” a mentoring and scholarship program back in 1986.

He also founded the E.K. & Mary Yanney Heritage Park in Kearney and named it after his parents.

Advertisement

In May 2024, Yanney received the University of Nebraska – Kearney’s highest honor: the Ron and Carol Cope Cornerstone of Excellence Award. The above photo shows Yanney accepting the award.

Governor Jim Pillen and Nebraska Rep. Don Bacon are some of the figures remembering Yanney’s impact on the state.

REACTIONS

Pillen called Yanney a “true friend for a long time” on social media.

Bacon shared his thoughts on social media Sunday.

Advertisement

Sen. Pete Ricketts said Yanney was a “business leader and a true titan” of the community.

In his post, Nebraska Rep. Adrian Smith said that Yanney “embodied the very best of the American Dream, rising from humble beginnings to leave an enduring mark on our state.”

Senator Deb Fischer added in her message Monday morning.

Rep. Mike Flood also shared his condolences.

Watch breaking news unfold on our livestream. Download the First Alert 6 streaming app to your TV or find us in your favorite streaming platform.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Nebraska

Retirees punished for helping? New Nebraska bill targets surprise retirement repayments

Published

on

Retirees punished for helping? New Nebraska bill targets surprise retirement repayments


LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) — Whether it’s serving as a substitute or a paraprofessional, retired teachers play a vital role in education.

But new legislation aims to fix a problem in Nebraska: retirees who help too much, too soon might be required to repay some of their retirement benefits.

Currently, retired teachers must wait 180 days before volunteering regularly, with an exception of eight days a month during that period.

Sen. Dan Lonowski of Hastings introduced the bill, which changes the waiting period to 120 days with no volunteer exceptions.

Advertisement

The bill has the support of the Nebraska State Education Association, or NSEA.

“We’ve heard stories from retirees that were forced to pay back tens of thousands of dollars because they didn’t even realize they had helped out too much during that 180 days,” NSEA President Tim Royers said. “So this is a nice, clean, hard break. You’ve just got to sit out on the bench for a few months, but by November, you’re able to get back and help and support your community.”

Beyond filling in the classroom, retired teachers serve another very important purpose, Royers said.

They’re coaches to newer teachers, bringing a wealth of knowledge as veteran mentors to a profession that historically experiences high rates of burnout.

Click here to subscribe to our 10/11 NOW daily digest and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your email inbox.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Nebraska

Nebraska picks up 68-49 victory over Northwestern

Published

on

Nebraska picks up 68-49 victory over Northwestern


Nebraska (22-3, 11-3) remained home to play Northwestern (10-16, 2-13) on Saturday for the second time this season. The Huskers picked up the win to sweep the Wildcats on the year, dominating the afternoon 68-49.

Nebraska pulled away in the second half, scoring 40 points after entering halftime up 28-27. The Huskers battled with Northwestern multiple times in the game, with the Wildcats even taking a four-point lead early in the second. But Nebraska took control of the game by scoring from beyond the arc.

The Huskers shot 11-of-25 from beyond the arc with Pryce Sandfort leading the charge. He scored a game-high 29 points by shooting 10-of-21 from the floor, 6-of-13 from 3-point range and 3-of-3 from the free throw line. Sandfort also hauled in six rebounds.

Nebraska finished 24-of-53 in total and 9-of-12 from the line. The Huskers also outrebound the Wildcats 40-24. Northwestern finished 20-of-50 and 6-of-11, respectively. The Wildcats also scored 27 points off 18 turnovers. But Northwestern hit just 3-of-15 from beyond the arc.

Advertisement

Sam Hoiberg scored 14 points on the afternoon, hitting 5-of-8 from the floor, 1-of-1 from three and 3-of-4 from the foul line. He secured seven rebounds and five assists. Cale Jacobsen posted 10 points for Nebraska, shooting 4-of-7 from the floor and 2-of-3 from beyond the arc. He also snatched six rebounds. Rienk Mast led the Huskers in rebounds, picking up nine.

Nebraska hits the road for its next conference game, visiting Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes Tuesday night. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. CT on the Big Ten Network.

Contact/Follow us @CornhuskersWire on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Nebraska news, notes and opinions.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending