Southeast
Convicted double murderer executed by firing squad in South Carolina
A South Carolina man convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend’s parents with a baseball bat in 2001 was executed by firing squad early Friday evening – a method used for the first time in 15 years in the U.S.
Brad Sigmon, 67, was pronounced dead at 6:08 p.m. after being shot by three volunteer prison employees at 6:05 p.m. inside the Broad River Correctional Institution in Columbia, according to the Associated Press.
Sigmon, who previously admitted to killing the couple because his ex-girlfriend refused to get back to him, was blindfolded and strapped to a chair with a target on his chest.
Brad Sigmon was convicted of beating to death his estranged girlfriend’s parents in Greenville County in 2001. (South Carolina Department of Corrections via AP)
TEXAS DEATH ROW INMATE MOUTHS FINAL 2-WORD MESSAGE TO VICTIMS’ FAMILIES BEFORE EXECUTION
The executioners, armed with rifles about 15 feet away, fired bullets into his heart.
The volunteers all fired at the same time through openings in a wall, according to the AP. A dozen witnesses, seated in a room separated from the chamber by bullet-resistant glass, could not see the executioners.
Just a few hours before the death sentence, the U.S. Supreme Court denied an emergency motion to suspend the execution because of South Carolina’s policies surrounding secretive lethal injection details.
Gov. Henry McMaster denied clemency on Friday prior to the execution. (Joshua Boucher/The State/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster and South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson signed off on the action, despite pleas from his lawyers to commute the death sentence to life in prison.
Sigmon’s attorneys argued he was a model prisoner and the killings occurred while he was struggling with severe mental illness.
He chose to die by firing squad, citing fears about the electric chair and lethal injection, according to his representation.
SOUTH CAROLINA SCHEDULING EXECUTIONS AGAIN AFTER A PAUSE FOR THE HOLIDAYS
The South Carolina Department of Corrections said the double murderer’s “specifically requested” last meal was served on Wednesday night and included: four pieces of fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, biscuits, cheesecake and sweet tea.
However, his attorney, Gerald “Bo” King, said Sigmon requested three buckets of Original Recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken so “he could feed the men locked up with him,” but “that request was denied,” USA Today reported.
Sigmon’s last meal differed from what his attorney said he requested.
Sigmon admitted to killing victims Gladys Larke, 59, and David Larke, 62, on April 27, 2001, after they evicted him from a trailer they owned.
He then unsuccessfully kidnapped his ex-girlfriend, Rebecca Armstrong, who jumped out of his moving car as he shot at her, prosecutors said.
“My intention was to kill her and then myself,” Sigmon said in a confession typed out by a detective after his arrest. “That was my intention all along. If I couldn’t have her, I wasn’t going to let anybody else have her. And I knew it got to the point where I couldn’t have her.”
He was sentenced to death in 2002.
Firing squad graphic (AP)
Armstrong told USA Today this week Sigmon “should answer for what he’s done,” noting his actions ripped her family apart.
The murdered parents of five missed the births of multiple grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Armstrong, who reportedly doesn’t believe in the death penalty, said she would not attend the execution.
This photo provided by the South Carolina Department of Corrections shows the state’s death chamber in Columbia, S.C., including the electric chair, right, and a firing squad chair, left. (South Carolina Department of Corrections via AP)
Her son, Ricky Sims, told the Greenville News he would be there, wearing a pair of boots that were the last gift his grandparents ever gave him.
“He’s going to pay for what he’s done,” Sims told the outlet. “He took away two people who would have done anything for their family. They were the rock of our family … They didn’t deserve it.”
According to the Department of Corrections, witnesses to the execution included: Three members of the Larke family; a representative from the prosecuting solicitor’s office; a representative from the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office; Sigmon’s attorney; Sigmon’s spiritual advisor; and three members of the news media.
The chair in which John Albert Taylor was strapped into before being executed by a firing squad on Jan. 26, 1996, in Utah. (Lee Celano/Reuters)
In his last statement, which was read to witnesses by his attorney prior to his death, he spoke against the death penalty:
“I want my closing statement to be one of love and a calling to my fellow Christians to help us end the death penalty. An eye for an eye was used as justification to the jury for seeking the death penalty. At that time, I was too ignorant to know how wrong that was. Why? Because we no longer live under the Old Testament law but now live under the New Testament. Matthew 5:38-39 says “You have heard that it has been said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth’ but I say unto you that you do not resist an evil person. Whosoever shall smite me on the right cheek, turn to him the other one as well.” Romans 6:14, “For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are no longer under the law but under grace.” Nowhere does God in the New Testament give man the authority to kill another man. That is why the Bible is divided into the Old Testament and the New Testament. Remember the words of Jesus, John 7:19, “Did not Moses give you the law? Yet none of you keep with the law.” We are now under God’s grace and mercy.”
BRYAN KOHBERGER CASE: IDAHO MAKES KEY MOVE ON FIRING SQUAD EXECUTIONS
Executions in South Carolina resumed in September, when the state – once one of the leaders in executions – ended a 13-year halt in administering the death penalty.
It is one of just five states that authorize the use of firing squads in certain circumstances.
Only three inmates, all in Utah, have been killed by firing squad in the U.S. since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.
Ronnie Gardner was the last prisoner to be executed by firing squad in 2010.
CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP
Twenty-five executions were carried out in the U.S. last year. Five have already been carried out in 2025, per the Death Penalty Information Center.
King did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.
Fox News Digital’s Michael Dorgan and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Florida police arrested an agitator outside President Donald Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course this weekend.
Investigators said the man, identified as Paul Messer, was engaging with protesters across from the golf club on Sunday when he got into a verbal dispute with a woman and struck her multiple times in the upper chest and neck with a metal flagpole, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
The woman stumbled backward and had visible redness on the right side of her neck. Messer was taken into custody and transported to the Palm Beach County Jail on a battery charge.
A Palm Beach Post photo later emerged appearing to show the suspect holding an anti-Trump flag and arguing with a woman wearing a pro-Trump hat.
ATTEMPTED TRUMP ASSASSIN TO LEARN SENTENCE, WITH PROSECUTORS SEEKING LIFE
U.S. President Donald Trump spent the weekend at his Mar-a-Lago resort this weekend. (Nathan Howard/Reuters)
The altercation came just weeks after Trump played golf with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis at the Trump International Golf Club. Rounding out their foursome were college football coaching legends Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.
President Trump golfed at the Trump International Golf Course last weekend. (Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images)
SMILING ANTI-ICE AGITATOR ACCUSED OF PUNCHING FLORIDA TROOPER AS DESANTIS ASSERTS ‘THIS IS NOT MINNEAPOLIS’
Trump signaled warmer relations with the Florida governor last summer, and Florida has in turn increasingly aligned itself with key Trump administration priorities.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (l.) and President Trump played golf in late January, in what could be a sign of a thaw in their relationship.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Among those priorities is the “Make America Healthy Again” initiative launched by Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services, which DeSantis has moved to embrace. As a result, DeSantis’ state kicked off its “Healthy Florida First” initiative in January, an effort across the state to test for contaminants in food products that DeSantis said is in lockstep with the administration’s priorities.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This report has been updated with more context on the altercation.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Two illegal aliens arrested in violent suburban home invasion involving sexual assault, kidnapping: police
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Authorities announced Monday that two illegal immigrants were arrested last week in connection with a “violent” home invasion in North Carolina that sent one victim to the hospital.
The reported burglary occurred in a suburban neighborhood in the middle of the night on Wednesday, the Pitt County Sheriff said.
“At 3:16 a.m. on February 11, 2026, Pitt County deputies responded to a reported assault at 200 Louis Street in the Cherry Oaks neighborhood of Greenville. Arriving deputies determined that the incident was a home invasion,” the agency said.
“Both arrested suspects were discovered to be in the United States illegally.”
AFGHAN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT WHO STABBED SISTER FOR BEING ‘BAD MUSLIM GIRL’ ARRESTED BY ICE AGENTS IN NEW YORK
Homeless 20-year-old Jonathan David Garcia-Lario was arrested on Feb. 13, 2026, following a reported burglary. (Pitt County Sheriff)
Police arrested the suspects two days later, identifying them as 20-year-old homeless man Jonathan David Garcia-Lario and 21-year-old Chapel Hill resident Zaid Mayen. Investigators said they recovered related evidence at an apartment in Chapel Hill, roughly two hours from the crime scene.
The suspects are accused of committing multiple serious crimes, including rape or an equivalent forcible offense, kidnapping, burglary and using a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
They are each facing four felony charges for first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree forcible sex offense, and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflicting serious injury.
Authorities did not confirm the nature or extent of the victim’s injuries but said the individual was taken to a local hospital by ambulance.
The sun rises over Greenville, North Carolina, on Tuesday, July 26, 2022. (Madeline Gray for The Washington Post)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was notified, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is expected to become involved. Authorities noted that an ICE detainer was placed on each individual, indicating that immigration agents may eventually take custody of them.
SANCTUARY POLICIES LET ALLEGED CHILD PREDATOR ROAM FREE UNTIL DHS MADE PORTLAND, OREGON, AIRPORT ARREST
A police officer pulls police tape around a crime scene on Jan. 6, 2022. (Photo by Aimee Dilger/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images))
The arrests were carried out with the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service, which helps track and apprehend fugitives. The Chapel Hill Police Department also took part in the operation.
Officials suggested that the incident was a serious criminal offense that prompted detectives from the Major Crimes and Forensic Services Units to respond to the scene.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Garcia-Lario was initially booked into the Franklin County Detention Center, where he was held without bond, and was later transferred to the Pitt County Detention Center on Monday, where he remains in custody without bond.
Mayen was initially booked into the Orange County Detention Center and held without bond.
Fox News Digital reached out to the DHS for more information.
Read the full article from Here
Southeast
Georgia father on trial, accused of giving son rifle before school shooting
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A Georgia father went on trial Monday, as he stands accused of enabling the 2024 high school shooting that left two students and two teachers dead by giving his teenage son access to a rifle despite repeated warning signs.
Colin Gray faces nearly 30 felony counts, including second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children, in connection with the Sept. 4 attack at Apalachee High School in Winder. Prosecutors argue his decision to arm his son directly led to the killings.
“This is not a case about holding parents accountable for what their children do,” Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith told jurors during opening statements. “This case is about this defendant and his actions in allowing a child that he has custody over access to a firearm and ammunition after being warned that that child was going to harm others.”
Under Georgia law, second-degree murder can apply when someone causes the death of a child while committing cruelty to children — the underlying felony prosecutors allege in this case. Smith told jurors the charges are structured around the victims, tying cruelty-to-children counts to the deaths of the students and reckless-conduct allegations to involuntary manslaughter counts for the slain teachers.
UVALDE TRIAL HALTED AFTER KEY WITNESS CHANGES TESTIMONY
District Attorney Brad Smith points to a weapon displayed on a screen during the first day of the trial of Colin Gray, at the Barrow County courthouse, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026, in Winder, Ga. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
Investigators have said Colt Gray, 14 at the time, brought a semiautomatic rifle to school in his backpack, left class and opened fire in a classroom and hallways. Two school resource officers took him into custody, authorities said.
Defense attorney Brian Hobbs argued the teen hid his plans from his father.
“You cannot hold someone criminally responsible for failing to predict what was intentionally hidden from them,” Hobbs said.
Prosecutors pointed to what they described as a pattern of escalating red flags that were not acted upon.
JURY REACHES VERDICT IN TRIAL OF EX-UVALDE SCHOOL POLICE OFFICER ACCUSED OF FAILING TO CONFRONT GUNMAN
In 2021, Colt Gray used a school computer to search “how to kill your dad,” Smith said. In May 2023, authorities investigated an online shooting threat traced to a computer at the Gray home after receiving a tip from the FBI. Colt Gray denied making the threat and said his account had been hacked, according to prosecutors. Smith said investigators asked Colin Gray at the time to restrict his son’s access to guns.
Colin Gray looks down as his attorney gives his opening statement in the courtroom at the Barrow County courthouse, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026, in Winder, Ga. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
Despite those incidents, prosecutors allege Colin Gray gave his son the rifle as a Christmas gift later that year and continued buying accessories, including what Smith described as “a lot of ammunition.”
Smith also told jurors that on the morning of the shooting, Colt’s mother called the school after receiving alarming text messages and warned a counselor that her son had access to firearms, prompting administrators to begin searching for him.
FORMER UVALDE SCHOOL OFFICER SAYS HE DOESN’T REGRET ACTIONS AFTER NOT GUILTY VERDICT
Prosecutors have said Colin Gray knew his son was obsessed with school shooters and had received a troubling text weeks before the attack that read: “Whenever something happens, just know the blood is on your hands.”
An investigator testified that Gray was aware his son’s mental health had deteriorated and had sought counseling services.
“This is not a case about holding parents accountable for what their children do,” Barrow County District Attorney Brad Smith told jurors during opening statements. (Jason Getz/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)
“We have had a very difficult past couple of years and he needs help. Anger, anxiety, quick to be volatile. I don’t know what to do,” Gray wrote, according to testimony.
Smith told jurors that despite those concerns, Gray did not pursue inpatient treatment for his son.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The trial is being held in Barrow County, where the shooting occurred, with jurors brought in from neighboring Hall County due to pretrial publicity.
Colt Gray is behind bars while awaiting his own trial. Day 2 of testimony in his father’s trial will proceed later Tuesday.
The case is among a growing number nationwide in which prosecutors are seeking to hold parents criminally responsible in deadly school shootings.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read the full article from Here
-
Oklahoma4 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Science1 week agoContributor: Is there a duty to save wild animals from natural suffering?
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high