Connect with us

World

Mistletoe Murders Renewed for Season 2 at Hallmark+

Published

on

Mistletoe Murders Renewed for Season 2 at Hallmark+


‘Mistletoe Murders’ Renewed for Season 2 at Hallmark+



Advertisement





















Advertisement







Advertisement

Advertisement

ad



Advertisement






Advertisement


Quantcast



World

2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border

Published

on

2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Two skiers were killed and another injured Sunday when an off-trail avalanche tore through a popular freeride route on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc massif near the French-Swiss border, officials said.

Three skiers were swept up in the Sunday morning slide along the Couloir Vesses, a well-known off-piste route in Courmayeur’s upper Val Veny, according to Italy’s Alpine Rescue, The Associated Press reported.

Search and rescue operations involved 15 rescuers, three canine units and two helicopters. One victim was transported to a hospital in serious condition but later died, the agency said.

Authorities said another person was partially buried in an avalanche in Trentino but was pulled to safety by companions.

Advertisement

LINDSEY VONN TRAINS WITH KNEE BRACE AFTER COMPLETELY RUPTURING ACL ONE WEEK BEFORE OLYMPIC RETURN

This handout image released by the Italian Alpine Rescue shows the avalanche that killed two men in the Couloir Vesses, a well-known freeride route in Courmayeur, in the upper Val Veny, northern Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (Italian Alpine Rescue via AP, HO)

The deadly slide comes amid a particularly dangerous stretch in the Italian Alps. Italy’s Alpine Rescue said last week that 13 backcountry skiers, climbers and hikers died in the Italian mountains in the week ending Feb. 8 – a record toll – with 10 of those deaths caused by avalanches linked to an unusually unstable snowpack.

Officials said recent storms have dumped fresh snow onto fragile underlying layers, while strong winds have created unstable drifts, producing hazardous conditions across the Alpine arc bordering France, Switzerland and Austria.

The main issue is caused by “persistent weak layers in the snowy cloak, often covered by fresh snow or wind, conditions that make detachments unpredictable and easily triggered even by the passing of a single skier or alpinist,” the National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps said. “The dangerous points are many and difficult to identify, even for an expert.”

Advertisement

LINDSEY VONN CRASHES IN WINTER OLYMPICS ALPINE SKI WOMEN’S DOWNHILL EVENT

Vigili del Fuoco crew members conducts a helicopter rescue over a snow-covered mountain area. (Vigili del Fuoco)

Federico Catania, a spokesperson for Italy’s Alpine Rescue Corps, said recent snowstorms have drawn visitors eager to take advantage of fresh slopes, “and as a result, the number of accidents, and therefore fatalities, has increased proportionally,” The AP reported.

Courmayeur, a town of roughly 2,900 residents, sits about 200 kilometers – or 124 miles – northwest of Milan, a host city for the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics.

The incidents occurred as the Winter Olympics were kicking off in the region on Feb. 6.

Advertisement

AMERICAN SKIERS RESCUED AFTER GETTING LOST NEAR OLYMPIC VENUE IN THE ITALIAN ALPS

Two Vigili del Fuoco crew members stand inside a helicopter next to an open door during a snowy mountain operation.   (Vigili del Fuoco)

Authorities stressed that competition sites – located in Lombardy near the Swiss border, Cortina d’Ampezzo in Veneto and Val di Fiemme in Trentino – remain safe, well-maintained and closely monitored.

“There is no danger for people skiing within managed ski resorts, and, in particular, no risks to the Olympic sites,” Catania said previously. “All of these areas are constantly monitored and are generally safe regardless of Olympic events.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Prior to the start of the Winter Olympics, Vigili del Fuoco said crews would maintain safety measures for all visitors to the sites.

Fox News Digital’s Bonny Chu and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

World

Hungary’s opposition leader Magyar promises greater privacy protection

Published

on

Hungary’s opposition leader Magyar promises greater privacy protection

Hungary’s main opposition leader Péter Magyar held a campaign event in Budapest on Sunday, calling on the government to respect people’s privacy after what he described as blackmail and a honeytrap set up by the government to discredit him.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

According to opinion polls, Magyar’s Tisza Party is leading Viktor Orbán’s ruling Fidesz party, ahead of the parliamentary elections on the 12th of April.

Orbán, a far-right conservative politician, has been governing Hungary since 2010 with an absolute majority.

Magyar said earlier this week that he was blackmailed by government figures with a sex tape showing him and his former partner, secretly recorded in a Budapest flat in 2024. So far, the video has not been released, but one picture showing a bedroom has spread online.

Advertisement

“If you want Viktor Orbán to spy in your bedroom, then feel free to vote for the ruling Fidesz party,” said Magyar.

He added that Orbán’s party is afraid of losing power and is ready to do disgusting things to discredit the Tisza opposition.

“If they can disclose my private life, they can do the same to others,” asserted Magyar.

The opposition leader, whose Tisza party leads most national opinion polls, called on Orbán to participate in an electoral debate.

‘Hungary will not be dragged into war’

Magyar appeared to target young voters with his campaign event on Saturday, which followed a speech delivered by the Hungarian leader.

Advertisement

The main opposition leader described the upcoming April vote as the “biggest party of the decade” and urged young people to mark the election date in their calendars.

The opposition Tisza party candidate also rejected the government’s narrative, which claimed that an opposition win would drag Hungary into war.

Magyar promised his government would reject military conscription, noting that his party condemns Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, but stressing that Budapest will not be dragged into the conflict.

He also vowed that, in the event of winning the elections, he would keep the barrier at Hungary’s southern border to prevent illegal migration.

Magyar also announced that his party does not support the European Union’s migration pact or Ukraine’s fast-track accession to the bloc.

Advertisement

The opposition candidate also addressed reports about a recent chemical leak that occurred in a battery factory near Budapest, with the level of toxic substances exceeding government-allowed thresholds.

“We are making full, independent, and public measurements mandatory. Internal measurements and data from factories cannot remain secret,” he said.

Magyar met with EU leaders at Munich Security Conference

Magyar spent Friday and Saturday at the Munich Security Conference, where he held discussions with 12 European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković.

The Tisza party leader said he informed the leaders about his plans in the event of winning the elections.

“The most important task of the future Tisza government will be to bring back the EU funds due to the Hungarian people,” Magyar said after his talks in Munich.

Advertisement

He added that his government will aim to adopt strict anti-corruption measures, ensure the independence of the courts, freedom of the press and higher education institutions.

He also shared that he made clear his position on Ukraine’s accelerated EU bid to leaders in his talks.

Continue Reading

World

Paramount Sends ByteDance Cease-and-Desist Letter Over Seedance AI Videos, Alleging Intellectual Property Infringement

Published

on

Paramount Sends ByteDance Cease-and-Desist Letter Over Seedance AI Videos, Alleging Intellectual Property Infringement

Paramount Skydance accused ByteDance of engaging in “blatant infringement” of its intellectual property with its Seedance video and Seedream image generative AI platforms, alleging the Chinese internet giant is illegally ripping off IP including “South Park,” “Star Trek,” “The Godfather,” “Dora the Explorer” and more.

The media company sent a cease-and-desist letter Saturday to ByteDance, a copy of which was obtained by Variety, demanding it discontinue the alleged infringement. The letter from Gabriel Miller, Paramount Skydance’s head of intellectual property, was addressed to ByteDance CEO Liang Rubo.

That came after Disney sent a cease-and-desist letter Friday to ByteDance asserting the company’s AI platforms are making available “a pirated library of Disney’s copyrighted characters from Star Wars, Marvel, and other Disney franchises, as if Disney’s coveted intellectual property were free public domain clip art.” “ByteDance’s virtual smash-and-grab of Disney’s IP is willful, pervasive, and totally unacceptable,” David Singer, a partner at Jenner & Block, wrote on behalf of Disney.

Seedance is the latest AI video system to set off alarms across Hollywood. After videos generated by ByteDance’s Seedance 2.0 went viral this week — including one of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt fighting on a rooftop (pictured above) — the Motion Picture Association condemned ByteDance on Thursday, calling on the company to immediately cease its infringing conduct. Actors union SAG-AFTRA and the Human Artistry Campaign, a coalition of artists’ rights groups affiliated with Hollywood unions, also spoke out against the ByteDance AI model.

Paramount’s Miller, in the letter to ByteDance, wrote that “much of the content that the Seed Platforms produce contains vivid depictions of Paramount’s famous and iconic franchises and characters, which are protected under copyright law, trademark law, and the law of unfair competition (among other doctrines).” The content in the AI-generated images and videos produced by ByteDance’s platforms “is often indistinguishable, both visually and audibly,” from Paramount’s copyrighted characters and stories.

Advertisement

Reps for ByteDance did not immediately respond to a request for comment Saturday.

According to Miller’s letter, Paramount properties including “South Park,” “SpongeBob SquarePants,” “Star Trek,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” “The Godfather,” “Dora the Explorer” and “Avatar: The Last Airbender” have “all been repeatedly infringed by the Seed Platforms’ production and subsequent public performance and distribution of these images and videos.” Moreover, with the recent release of the Seedance 2.0 video generation tool, “ByteDance’s infringing activities appear not only to be continuing but becoming more prevalent and the unlawful outputs more widely disseminated,” Miller wrote.

In the letter, Paramount Skydance demanded that “ByteDance immediately take all necessary steps to (i) prevent violations of our intellectual property rights by ensuring that our content is not used or created by ByteDance or the Seed Platforms going forward, and (ii) remove all infringing instances of Paramount’s content from ByteDance’s platforms and systems.”

Continue Reading

Trending