Science
NIH Research Grants Lag Behind Last Year’s by $1 Billion
Federal research funding to tackle areas like cancer, diabetes and heart disease is lagging by about $1 billion behind the levels of recent years, reflecting the chaotic start of the Trump administration and the dictates that froze an array of grants, meetings and communications.
The slowdown in awards from the National Institutes of Health has been occurring while a legal challenge plays out over the administration’s sudden policy change last week to slash payments for administrative and facilities costs related to medical research. A federal judge in Massachusetts has temporarily blocked the cutbacks, pending hearings later this month.
Federally funded research has driven major advances in cutting-edge gene therapies and immune-system-boosting treatments for certain cancers, cystic fibrosis and sickle cell disease.
The broader lag in funding is being felt at universities and medical centers from Baton Rouge to Boston, according to congressional lawmakers who are tracking it. Federal spending records show the allocations are about $1 billion lower than last year’s disbursements were at this time.
N.I.H. funding has ground to a halt in the past 10 days, according to Senator Tammy Baldwin, Democrat of Wisconsin.
“The president has completely stopped funding for research that discovers cures for diseases that devastate families across the country, like cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, all so he can give tax breaks to billionaires and big corporations,” Ms. Baldwin said in a statement on Friday. “Make no mistake, their efforts to rob Peter to pay Paul means crushing families’ hopes and dreams of having cures.”
It was not clear whether the stalled funding reflected an administrative backlog or efforts by Trump officials to defy the rulings of judges who have temporarily quashed efforts to freeze federal grant-making and spending.
In the first six weeks of 2024, the N.I.H. awarded more than 11,000 grants amounting to roughly $2.5 billion. During the same time period this year, the agency doled out about $1.4 billion, a figure hundreds of millions of dollars lower than the amount awarded within this period for the last six years. The agency issued about $36 billion in grants last year.
Some administration officials have criticized the research grants, saying they reflect a liberal bias and are dedicated to diversity and equity efforts. Some critics also contend that certain universities receive far larger outlays to cover overhead costs than other institutions.
A spokeswoman for the N.I.H. did not immediately return a request for comment.
Earlier this week, Senator Patty Murray, Democrat of Washington, tried to add a provision to a budget bill that would have restored the N.I.H. funding to agreed-upon levels. The effort failed on a party-line vote.
“Trump and Elon — either through sheer ignorance or a genuine lack of caring — are putting lifesaving research in America on life support,” she said in a statement, referring to the billionaire Elon Musk.
The N.I.H. has undergone considerable turmoil in recent days, with two high-ranking officials announcing sudden departures. The agency has no permanent leader in place yet, though Jay Bhattacharya, the Trump administration nominee and a Stanford professor, has begun to make the rounds in Congress as his confirmation hearings approach.
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the secretary of the top federal health agency, has said he wants to back off on infectious disease research, a core N.I.H. study area, and focus instead on chronic diseases, which the agency also studies. The agency has 27 separate institutes and centers that fund studies and develop treatments for diseases like cancer and heart conditions as well as infectious diseases like AIDS and Covid.
Meetings at the agency — during which experts review grant applications and make funding recommendations — were abruptly canceled at the end of January after the new administration issued a sweeping communications ban, effectively halting the funding of new research. Some of those meetings have since resumed. The White House budget office also ordered a pause on all federal grants, which it rescinded days later.
The proposed cuts to indirect costs to medical research alone have been enough to raise deep concerns at Dartmouth and at other institutions.
“If the federal government cuts its investment, we will have to scale back on research, and cutting-edge science will be cut short,” Dean Madden, the vice provost for research at Dartmouth’s medical school, said at a news conference on Friday. “You don’t know what discoveries won’t be made as a result, but they might include a cure for some childhood cancer or treatment for Alzheimer’s or dozens of other diseases that are afflicting patients across our country.”
Science
Caltech could lose control of JPL for the first time
The contract for management and operation of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory will be opened up to a competitive bidding process for the first time in its history, the space agency announced on Friday.
The action forces Caltech to compete for control of the La Cañada Flintridge institution it has managed since NASA’s inception in 1958.
“The rapid growth of the U.S. space economy indicates there may now be a viable competitive market for programmatic and institutional elements,” NASA said in a statement. “This decision is part of a broader governmentwide and agency effort to find efficiencies, strengthen performance, and drive mission outcomes faster and more affordably.”
In a joint statement, Caltech President Thomas F. Rosenbaum and JPL Director Dave Gallagher said that the announcement came as “no surprise” and that it already had a team in place “to ensure we are positioned for success” in the bidding process.
“Over the course of our nearly seven-decade-long partnership with NASA, Caltech and JPL have led humanity’s exploration and understanding of the universe — and our place within it,” the Pasadena university said. “The ambitions ahead — no less bold than those we have already realized— are ones we are fully prepared to meet.”
The competition for the contract is part of a slate of changes NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman announced on Friday, including a massive reorganization of the space agency intended “to concentrate resources towards the highest priority objectives in the National Space Policy and liberate the best and brightest from needless bureaucracy and obstacles that impede progress,” Isaacman wrote in a letter to the agency’s roughly 18,000 employees.
JPL was founded by Caltech researchers in 1936, and became part of NASA when the space agency was formed in 1958. Its current 10-year contract with NASA, which is valued at up to $30 billion, runs through Sept. 30, 2028.
Times staff writer Noah Haggerty contributed to this report.
Science
Feds declare Eaton fire was a cleanup success. Their testing shows otherwise
Despite finding nearly one in five homes had excessive levels of lead, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency this week claimed that recent soil testing in Altadena proved that expedited federal cleanup efforts had effectively removed toxic ash and debris from homes destroyed by the deadly Eaton fire.
Earlier this year, the EPA announced it would perform a limited soil sampling at 100 destroyed homes across the burn zone in order to verify that contractors had thoroughly mitigated toxic substances. In a recent news release, the EPA said that testing revealed median lead concentrations below federal standards, and “confirmed that cleanup methods successfully addressed contamination and verified cleanup protocols.”
The EPA soil sampling comes amid mounting pressure from residents and environmentalists who claim that a hasty federal cleanup effort had left behind or spread hazardous fire debris. Internal government reports also raised questions about the thoroughness of the cleanup.
The EPA did not release its report to the public, but it said 95 of 100 soil samples collected near the surface of the home’s building footprint were below the federal lead screening level.
“I think for the folks in Altadena who maybe had some concerns about the adequacy of the work that was performed by the federal government in removing ash and debris — I think they should feel confident that those areas of their property are safe to use now,” said Mike Montgomery, EPA Superfund and emergency management director.
In announcing its findings, the EPA cited federal lead standards only, and not California’s more stringent thresholds. Of the 100 homes sampled, 17 had lead levels above 80 milligrams per kilogram, California’s benchmark for residential properties. The highest concentration of lead was 705 milligrams per kilogram — nearly nine times higher than the state standard and triple the federal threshold, according to a copy of the report that was reviewed by The Times.
The results unnerved some Altadena residents, who see more and more fire-destroyed homes being rebuilt. Joy Chen, executive director of Eaton Fire Survivors Network, called on federal officials to release the full report and provide additional resources to address elevated contamination.
“From the beginning, people have been very worried that they [federal workers] did not thoroughly clear these sites. Now 16 months later, people are taking it upon themselves to test or bioremediate to ensure it’s safe to rebuild. Most of us don’t have the resources to make those decisions,” Chen said.
“It would’ve been much easier if homes had been cleared to safe levels the first time around.”
EPA officials said the agency had notified Altadena property owners of their soil test results and encouraged them to review local public health guidance. Montgomery said EPA officials would proactively reach out to property owners whose lots had lead levels above the federal benchmark of 200 milligrams per kilogram.
Federal disaster officials say that some toxic substances within the burn zone could have been deposited there long before the fire — the result perhaps of decades of burning leaded gasoline or lead paint.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency had refused repeatedly to pay for post-cleanup soil testing and broke from long-standing California fire recovery protocols that are intended to protect returning residents from toxic substances. FEMA, along with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the EPA, had touted the fire recovery as the fastest in modern history.
Disaster crews removed millions of tons of fire debris from nearly 9,700 properties affected by the Eaton and Palisades fires in roughly eight months.
But hundreds of disaster victims had complained about substandard work from federal cleanup workers, and internal government reports said crews had left debris behind and, in at least one instance, dumped ash on a neighbor’s property.
In January — shortly after the one-year anniversary of the fires — the EPA announced that it would perform soil testing for lead at 100 randomly-selected homes that were destroyed in the Eaton fire and later cleared of debris by federal contractors. The announcement followed months of criticism that federal cleanup workers had mishandled debris — including dumping fire debris and contaminated pool water on neighboring properties.
The Los Angeles Times collected soil samples in March 2025 and published the first evidence that already-remediated home sites retained elevated levels of toxic substances. Los Angeles County, UCLA, USC and several other organizations launched their own soil testing efforts, and all found elevated levels of lead at homes that had already been remediated by federal cleanup crews.
Lead is a potent neurotoxin that can stunt the brain development and lead to behavioral issues in young children that inhale or ingest it. When the Eaton fire burned through Altadena’s historic neighborhoods, it destroyed many homes that were coated in toxic lead paint. Plumes of smoke and ash then deposited the heavy metal across the burn zone.
Dr. Nichole Quick, chief medical advisor for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, encouraged property owners to seek further testing if they have concerns about contamination, including free testing services provided by local universities.
Quick said residents can take steps to limit their exposure, such as washing dusty equipment and keeping cleaning floors and other surfaces clean.
“Guidance is really geared towards how you interrupt that ingestion exposure, so we’re talking about a high-risk group, our kids with developing brains, pregnant women,” Quick said. “Kids also happen to be the ones that crawl around on all sorts of stuff and hands directly into mouth, so a lot of what we’re talking about is stopping that sort of exposure.”
Environmental experts quickly questioned the EPA’s soil sampling approach, which drastically differed from soil testing procedures from California environmental agencies. Andrew Whelton, a Purdue University researcher who has studied environmental risk following disaster, said the EPA sampling — which only tested one mixed sample — would likely mask heavily polluted areas of the home. The agency also only tested for lead — one of 17 toxic metals typically tested for following wildfires.
“It’s apples and oranges,” Whelton said. “They [the EPA] only looked for lead and didn’t look for hot spots. The approach that EPA differs from everything that California has done for fire cleanup for the last 15 years.
“My advice to property owners who haven’t tested soil or are adjacent to the fire area is conduct soil testing as it has always been done.”
The EPA and L.A. County health department are expected to discuss the soil testing results at the Altadena town council meeting on June 16.
Science
How a SoCal native became one of NASA’s most valuable assets
One of NASA’s most valuable assets is a Southern Californian.
Following the space agency’s successful Artemis II mission around the moon last month, Victor Glover — who grew up primarily in the Inland Empire and has spent much of his career at Southern California’s many military and aerospace hubs — is now the only pilot to have flown NASA’s Orion capsule.
As the crew finishes its international victory lap before the media, Glover is preparing to put his head down and get to work training the Artemis generation of moon-faring astronauts.
-
Share via
“I think Artemis is going to demand us to change the paradigm,” he told The Times.
The International Space Station, which has been continuously inhabited by a revolving crew of astronauts in low Earth orbit for over 25 years, has a “very well-worn” training program, he said. But developing a new instructional regimen for complex high-stakes moon missions as the agency tries to aggressively ramp up Artemis launches from once every 3 1/2 years to every six months is a different beast.
“Until we get really ramped up and have a solid training program, I think astronauts need to take more ownership of the training and be involved so we can share this experience,” Glover said.
As of today, the list of Artemis astronauts is only four people long. And the list of Artemis pilots has only one name: Victor Glover.
Glover, 50, was born in Pomona, graduated from Ontario High School and lived “all over” Southern California’s urban sprawl, including Baldwin Village (which he instinctively referred to by its pre-1988 name, “The Jungle”). He completed his undergraduate studies at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and received graduate degrees (plural) from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey and the Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base.
He cut his teeth as a test pilot at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, in the Mojave. After NASA selected him as an astronaut, he learned to fly SpaceX’s Dragon capsule at the company’s then-headquarters in Hawthorne before riding it to the ISS.
Glover particularly misses those test pilot days, when he was pushing the limits of the F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet in China Lake while completing a master’s degree on the side.
“That was actually maybe one of the best times of my career. We had our fourth daughter while we lived in China Lake,” he said. “I was … working really hard but having a ton of fun at a house full of kids.”
In one of Glover’s favorite pictures, snapped by his wife, he is sitting at his desk in his tan desert flight suit, focused on graduate school work while holding one of his daughters.
Glover sees himself as just one example of how the Golden State’s deserts and coastal cities have left a lasting mark on America’s space program.
“Southern California is very uniquely postured to help NASA,” Glover said. “Southern California has the combination of culture and technology — and it doesn’t hurt to have Hollywood” to help share NASA’s mission and values.
(Glover fondly recalled his joy seeing the “Iron Man” production crew, including actor and rapper Terrence Howard, roll through Edwards Air Force Base during his tenure.)
Glover, who now lives in Texas near NASA’s Johnson Space Center, is focused on bringing that SoCal sensibility and invaluable experience piloting the Orion capsule to the agency’s astronaut training program.
When asked if he hopes to fly again on an Artemis mission, he gave a simple answer: “No.”
There was one other thing on his to-do list, though.
“Tell L.A. I love them and all of Southern California — and I can’t wait to get back out there and visit my home state and my hometown.”
-
Arizona3 minutes agoArizona Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 results for May 22, 2026
-
Arkansas9 minutes agoArkansas baseball vs. Auburn at SEC Tournament: How to watch and listen, pitching matchup, forecast, stats, comparison | Whole Hog Sports
-
California15 minutes agoLetters to the Editor: The purpose of California’s journalism fund isn’t just protecting its biggest players
-
Colorado21 minutes agoWhere to watch Colorado Rockies vs Arizona Diamondbacks: TV channel, start time, streaming for May 23
-
Connecticut27 minutes agoOvernight forecast for May 23
-
Delaware33 minutes ago
Delaware Memorial Day parades face challenges, still connect neighbors
-
Florida39 minutes agoSpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launch from Florida will kick off Memorial Day
-
Georgia45 minutes agoGeorgia Southern student-athletes recognized for community service and excellence through partnership with Downtown Statesboro Rotary