Connect with us

West

Steve Garvey calls for prevention of trans inclusion in women's sports, defends forfeits that protest it

Published

on

Steve Garvey calls for prevention of trans inclusion in women's sports, defends forfeits that protest it

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

EXCLUSIVE: Former Dodgers World Series champion Steve Garvey is running for U.S. Senate as a Republican in California, and revealed his stance on one of November’s sudden hot button issues to Fox News Digital ahead of L.A.’s title bout vs. the Yankees. 

Garvey made it clear that he opposed trans inclusion in women’s sports, and insists biological boundaries should be set to define biological gender. He also specified that he believes transgender athletes should only compete against each other. 

Advertisement

“This is an issue I’ve talked to a lot of people. I just believe it’s defined by biological men and women, and I think that God gives us freewill and choice, and if you choose to transgender, say from male and female, then you should compete against those people that have done the same thing,” Garvey said. 

Garvey cited his experience as a father to his two daughters, Krisha and Whitney, for his stance. 

“I have daughters, I care about their safety, I care about their freedom, and I think it’s just not fair to have that kind of competition, that a woman is always going to be at a deficit,” Garvey said.

Former President Trump has gone so far as to advocate for a ban, while Democrats, including Vice President Harris and Ted Cruz’s Texas seat opponent Collin Allred, have distanced themselves from support for transgender athletes in women’s sports over the last month. 

Advertisement

Harris has sidestepped questions of transgender rights in recent interviews on Fox News and NBC News, while Allred’s campaign has had to go so far as to release TV ads where he says he is against “boys in girls sports.”

Garvey believes that the nation’s leadership must take action to define the distinction between biological men and women. 

“I think it gets back to leadership, we need to really define this even further,” Garvey said. 

In Garvey’s state of California, San Jose State University has been at the epicenter of the heated election-month debate. 

On Friday, the university’s volleyball program received news that an opponent would be forfeiting for fifth time this season alone, as the program is embroiled in a national controversy over a lawsuit by one of its players against the NCAA, alleging that she was never told that her teammate is a biological male. 

Advertisement

Brooke Slusser joined a lawsuit headed by OutKick host and former collegiate swimmer Riley Gaines against the NCAA due to its policies on gender identity. Slusser joined this lawsuit because she claims that she has had to share a court, a locker room and even a room on overnight trips with her teammate Blaire Fleming without having ever been told that Fleming was transgender.

INSIDE SAN JOSE STATE’S POLICE BATTLE TO PROTECT WOMEN’S ATHLETES THREATENED BY A TRANSGENDER CULTURE WAR

The University of Nevada, Reno announced it would be officially forfeiting its Saturday match against San Jose State after a tense dispute between the Nevada players and their athletic department. The players voted to forfeit the game, and made it public that they intended not to take the court against San Jose State. Sources told Fox News Digital that the players even approached the athletic director Stephanie Rempe to request the match be forfeited. 

But Nevada didn’t officially forfeit the program until Saturday when they deemed that they didn’t have enough players to participate in the match, after a very visible protest by the players over the last week.

Garvey defended athletes and all the other volleyball programs that have forfeited games over their refusal to compete against a transgender opponent. 

Advertisement

“I hate to see women lose the opportunity to compete, but what they’re doing – and this has become part of their freewill and choice – is to choose how they’re going to make a statement,” Garvey said. 

During his career with the Dodgers, Garvey played in more than 1,700 games over the course of 14 seasons and hit .301 with 211 home runs and 992 RBI. Garvey was also selected to eight All-Star Games and won the All-Star Game MVP Award in both 1974 and 1978. (Steve Garvey)

San Jose State has said it is in compliance with official NCAA rules amid the news of the fifth forfeit of the year. 

“Our athletes all comply with NCAA and Mountain West Conference policies and they are eligible to play under the rules of those organizations. We will continue to take measures to prioritize the health and safety of our students while they pursue their earned opportunities to compete,” the university said in a statement to Fox News Digital on Friday. 

San Jose State’s Slusser and Nevada’s Sia Liillii have taken leadership roles in vocalizing their opposition to transgender inclusion in women’s sports over the last few weeks. 

Advertisement

Republican lawmakers, Idaho Gov. Brad Little and Tulsi Gabbard have praised the players and teams who have refused to play the Spartans. The Trump campaign has pounded his Democrat opponent on the issue in the final weeks leading up to election day. 

Former NCAA swimmer and OutKick contributor Riley Gaines took stage at the Turning Point Action conference to precede Trump at the rally in Georgia on Wednesday. 

“I could share the grotesque details of what it was like being forced to undress, inches away from a six-foot-four man who watched us strip down to nothing, while he did the same, exposing his fully-intact naked male body,” Gaines said. “There are no words to describe the violation and the betrayal, the humiliation that we felt.” 

The Biden-Harris administration issued a sweeping rule that clarified that Title IX’s ban on “sex” discrimination in schools covers discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation and “pregnancy or related conditions” in April. 

The administration insisted the regulation does not address athletic eligibility. However, multiple experts presented evidence to Fox News Digital in June that it would ultimately put more biological men in women’s sports. 

Advertisement

The Supreme Court then voted 5-4 in August to reject an emergency request by the Biden administration to enforce portions of that new rule after more than two dozen Republican attorneys general sued to block the Title IX changes in their own states.

University of Pennsylvania swimmer Lia Thomas and Kentucky swimmer Riley Gaines react after finishing tied for 5th in the 200 Freestyle finals at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships on March 18th, 2022 at the McAuley Aquatic Center in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images.)

However, the issue extends far beyond the borders of the U.S. 

The United Nations released study findings that say nearly 900 biological females have fallen short of the podium because they have been beaten out by transgender athletes.

Advertisement

The study, titled “Violence against women and girls in sports,” said that more than 600 athletes did not medal in more than 400 competitions in 29 different sports, totaling over 890 medals, according to information obtained up to March 30.

“The replacement of the female sports category with a mixed-sex category has resulted in an increasing number of female athletes losing opportunities, including medals, when competing against males,” the report said.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

San Francisco, CA

San Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak

Published

on

San Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak


(KRON)– San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa is asking the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to step up protections at ports and Airports across the country, including San Francisco International Airport (SFO), after the recent hantavirus outbreak.

The outbreak began aboard a cruise ship in May 2026.

The ship outbreak has reached 12 cases, nine of which have been confirmed. So far, three people have died.

In California, five people, including one Santa Clara County resident, are being monitored for possible exposure. Another Bay Area resident is being monitored separately in Nebraska.

Advertisement

In the U.S., the CDC is monitoring 41 people for Hantavirus. That includes an additional 16 who were not aboard the cruise ship where the outbreak began, but were exposed on an April flight from Johannesburg with a woman who was infected on the ship and later died.

Canepa is fighting for concrete policies that would protect Californians, specifically calling out the CDC to create a clear process when outbreaks, similar to the recent hantavirus outbreak, begin.

Along with the CDC, the World Health Organization is emphasizing that the overall risk to the public remains low. So far, there’s been no evidence of ongoing transmission.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats

Published

on

Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats


Two of the top three players in the NBA will face each other Monday. The other, according to MVP voters, will be watching from the couch.

Nuggets center Nikola Jokic finished in second place in the 2025-26 MVP vote, the league announced Sunday night. In what was widely regarded as a three-horse race, Jokic was a distant runner-up but extended his streak of top-two finishes to six consecutive years, joining Bill Russell and Larry Bird as the only players to do so.

Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was crowned MVP for the second straight season. San Antonio Spurs phenom Victor Wembanyama, just 22 years old, placed third. He was also named Defensive Player of the Year last month. The Spurs and Thunder are set to compete in the Western Conference Finals starting Monday night.

The award is decided by a panel of 100 voters who cover the NBA and its teams for various local, national and international media outlets. Jokic appeared on all 100 ballots, earning 10 first-place votes and 48 second-place nods. He was third on 37 ballots, fourth on four, fifth on one.

Advertisement

Gilgeous-Alexander received the lion’s share of the first-place votes with 83. Wembanyama got five votes for first. Ballots are submitted before the playoffs begin, ensuring that only the regular season is taken into account — meaning that Denver’s first-round exit had no bearing on the tally this year.

Jokic averaged 27.7 points, 12.9 rebounds and 10.7 assists per game, marking the seventh time in NBA history that a player has averaged a triple-double. Jokic, Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson are the only players to accomplish the feat. Jokic has done it two seasons in a row.

He shot 56.9% from the field, 38% from 3-point range and 83.1% from the foul line, good for a 67% true shooting clip that ranked fifth in the league. At 66.5%, Gilgeous-Alexander was the only non-center to rank in the top eight. He averaged 31.1 points, 4.3 rebounds and 6.6 assists for the defending champion and first-place Thunder.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Seattle, WA

Caitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm

Published

on

Caitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm


play

Caitlin Clark and the Indiana Fever continued their 2026 WNBA regular season with an 89-78 victory against the Seattle Storm on Sunday, May 17.

Advertisement

Clark, a former Iowa women’s basketball star, and the Fever are 2-2 after the first four games of the regular season.

Here’s a look at how Clark fared in Sunday’s game in Indianapolis:

Caitlin Clark stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm

  • Minutes: 23
  • Points: 21
  • Rebounds: 7
  • Assists: 10
  • Blocks: 2
  • Steals: 0
  • Turnovers: 5
  • FG shooting: 5-10
  • 3-point shooting: 2-4
  • Free throws: 9-9

Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever upcoming games

  • May 20: vs. Portland Fire, 6 p.m. CT, USA Network
  • May 22: vs. Golden State Valkyries, 6:30 p.m. CT, ION
  • May 28: at Golden State Valkyries, 9 p.m. CT, Prime



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending