Maine
Photos: Hurricane Milton slams Florida
Hurricane Milton made landfall at around 8:30 p.m. near Siesta Key, about eight miles south of Sarasota, Florida.
According to the National Hurricane Center, the category 3 hurricane had estimated maximum sustained winds of 120 miles per hour.
The landfall occurred way earlier than expected after shifting southward.
Milton is expected to produce dangerous storm surges of up to 13 feet.
October 9
Rebecca Blackwell / AP
/
AP
Rebecca Blackwell / AP
/
AP
Chandan Khanna / AFP via Getty Images
/
AFP via Getty Images
Rebecca Blackwell/AP / AP
/
AP
Paul Hennessy / Anadolu via Getty Images
/
Anadolu via Getty Images
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
/
Getty Images
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
/
Getty Images
October 8
Copyright 2024 NPR
Rebecca Blackwell / AP
/
AP
NASA / Getty Images
/
Getty Images
Maine
Have You Checked Out These 5 New Maine Restaurants That Opened in January?
Ready for some new bites for the new year?
January 2026 saw a handful of restaurants open their doors for the first time, marking a positive light of deliciousness in the darkness that is the biting cold winters of Maine.
Nothing a little food and drink can’t fix, right?
Maine Restaurants That Opened in January 2026
Several of the debut Maine restaurants in January have taken over the locations of former eateries.
In Brunswick, Baked on Maine has moved into the former Great Impasta location, which relocated right on down the road and opened at 11 Pleasant Street in March 2025.
That left 42 Maine Street wide open, and now, this new spot has moved in, serving fresh bakery items and tasty breakfast and lunch options.
Over in Westbrook, Bombay Bistro took over the former Frog & Turtle location at 3 Vallee Square.
After nearly 20 years, the well-known gastropub would close its doors and the location would remain empty for almost a year.
Now, the Indian restaurant Bombay Bistro has opened with a splash of green and is delivering authentic, flavorful cuisine.
Let’s take a look at some of the places that opened in the first month of 2026.
5 Maine Restaurants That Opened in January 2026
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
READ MORE: Maine Restaurant Serving the World’s Largest Lobster Roll Sets Opening Date for Its 48th Season
Have you had a chance to check any of these places out? Any you really want to try?
It’s fantastic to see new restaurant options and places locals can support. Bet there’s going to be a lot of satisfied stomachs coming up, and hopefully for many more years to come.
61 Maine Restaurants That Closed in 2025
Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna
Maine
Kennebunkport explores options to limit tour bus congestion
KENNEBUNKPORT (WGME) — The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities.
Kennebunkport is the latest town looking to ease summer and fall tour bus congestion because of the limited space in Dock Square.
“The tour bus situation in Dock Square is an issue,” Kennebunkport Select Board Member David Bancroft said.
The debate is putting some year-round residents and local businesses at odds. Some people in Kennebunkport say tour busses are clogging up Dock Square in the summer and fall, making the area dangerous for pedestrians, and they say some bus drivers ignore local ordinances governing them.
“I have witnessed motor coaches violating numerous town codes and causing safety issues,” Kennebunkport resident Dorset Star said.
Some year-round residents told the Kennebunkport Select Board they support further limiting the number of tour buses in town. Tour bus companies took issue with that suggestion at a town meeting on the subject last week.
The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities. (WGME)
“Everybody wants to be green, but you don’t want to take 40 cars off the road to put them on a bus,” Jason Briggs with VIP Tour & Charter Bus Company said.
Local businesses say the money those tourists bring in, especially in September and October, allows them to stay open year-round.
“The reality is if we don’t have visitors coming in, we decrease our hours. Therefore, we don’t need as much staffing,” Abby Daggett from Maine Art Hill said.
“Without the tour buses, a lot of these stores wouldn’t be able to thrive. They’d kind of start to die,” Henry Howe, who works at The Candy Man, said.
Alisson’s Restaurant employs 83 local people; workers whose families depend on their full-time jobs.
The economic impact of tour buses and cruise ships is more than $1 billion in Maine, but both have come under fire in several coastal communities. (WGME)
“Without the tour buses, I don’t know that we would be able to stay open year-round,” Alisson’s General Manager Ashley Padget said.
Several people told the select board the town needs to better enforce the bus ordinances already on the books, like not idling buses or parking where they shouldn’t.
Right now, all tour buses load and unload on Cross Street. To ease congestion, some suggest additional drop-off locations or smaller shuttles to transport tourists from buses into Dock Square.
“I just hope we find a path in a good way to keep that business in town,” Federal Jack’s Owner Ben Fitzpatrick said.
Town leaders say they have no intention of banning tour buses, but they say it’s time to consider options to limit them for the upcoming season.
Maine
Maine sheriffs aim to install new system to alert victims of inmate releases
Members of Maine law enforcement are hoping to expand an electronic victim notification system to more county jails.
Last May, the Maine Sheriffs Association launched a pilot program at four jails using “VINE,” a system where people can voluntarily register to be notified when an inmate is released.
The pilot program is currently available at four county jails in the state: Aroostook, Penobscot, Somerset, and Two Bridges Regional Jail, which covers Lincoln and Sagadahoc counties.
Penobscot County Sheriff Troy Morton says it’s information that is invaluable to victims and witnesses who want to keep track of the release of a specific inmate.
It’s already been used more than 6,000 times.
Sheriffs are now hoping lawmakers will approve $250,000 in the upcoming supplemental budget to expand the program to all 15 county jails.
“This isn’t a county corrections issue, this is a statewide issue to protect victims and witnesses through electronic notification and no longer put our state last in something that is probably the most important,” Morton said.
Morton says Maine is the only state in the country without a program like this.
To register for a Maine VINE account, visit VINELink.com, download the VINELink mobile app, or call 1-866-358-0005.
-
Oklahoma4 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Montana2 days ago2026 MHSA Montana Wrestling State Championship Brackets And Results – FloWrestling
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Science1 week agoWhat a Speech Reveals About Trump’s Plans for Nuclear Weapons
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: How Much Do You Know About Romance Books?
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high