Texas
Big Boy locomotive chugging through North Texas this week
The front of the Big Boy No. 4014 locomotive is shown on August 17, 2021 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
DALLAS – The world’s largest operating steam locomotive is coming through North Texas this week.
Union Pacific’s Big Boy No. 4014 will chug into Dallas on Wednesday, Sept. 18.
This stop will not include events for the public.
The train will make a stop at a private Union Pacific Event on Wednesday.
It will then leave Dallas at 9 a.m. and make its way to Hearne.
The train will be back in North Texas next month.
It will be in Fort Worth from October 10 to October 13. The train will be at the Fort Worth T&P Station on W. Lancaster Avenue.
Admission to see the Big Boy is free and open to the public from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 10 and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11.
The locomotive will leave Fort Worth on Sunday, Oct. 13 at 8 a.m.
The stops are a part of the Big Boy Heartland of America Tour, which takes the train through 10 states.
You can track the engine’s current location on Union Pacific’s website.
25 “Big Boys” were built during World War II, but only eight survived. No. 4014 is the only one in operation.
Big Boy Heartland of America Tour
- Sept. 18-19: Dallas, Texas
- Sept. 20-Oct. 3: Locomotive Maintenance
- Friday, Oct. 4: Hearne, Texas to Houston, Texas
- Oct. 5-Oct. 7: Houston, Texas
- Oct. 8-9: Bryan, Texas
- Oct. 10-13: Fort Worth, Texas
- Oct. 14: McAlester, Oklahoma to Coffeyville, Kansas
- Oct. 15: Coffeyville, Kansas to Kansas City, Missouri
- Oct. 16-17: Kansas City, Missouri
- Oct. 19: Salina, Kansas
- Oct. 20: Hays, Kansas to Sharon Springs, Kansas
- Oct. 21: Sharon Springs, Kansas to Denver, Colorado
- Oct. 22: Denver, Colorado
- Oct. 23: Denver, Colorado to Cheyenne, Wyoming
Texas
North Texas skating coach now barred from teaching amid sexual assault charges
DALLAS COUNTY, Texas – A North Texas figure skating coach charged with indecency with a child and sexual assault is barred from coaching or teaching skating students as a condition of his bond, according to court documents obtained by FOX 4 on Wednesday.
Details of the arrest and bond conditions
What we know:
47-year-old Benjamin Shroats was arrested after Allen police received a report alleging he engaged in inappropriate relationships with two of his athletes. Police said one of the alleged relationships began when the athlete was a minor.
Shroats has been arraigned on one count of indecency with a child and one count of sexual assault.
Court records show that, in addition to being prohibited from coaching or teaching figure skating, Shroats is not allowed to have contact with the alleged victims or their families.
Response from defense attorney
In a statement, Shroats’ attorney said he “unequivocally” denies the allegations.
What they’re saying:
“Mr. Shroats unequivocally denies the allegations against him,” the statement said. “Criminal charges are accusations and not findings of guilt.”
According to his attorney, Shroats has spent the past 30 years coaching and teaching figure skating in North Texas, including at the Allen Community Rink. He has previously coached accomplished skaters, including Plano native and Olympic figure skater Amber Glenn.
Expert insight on investigation
Dig deeper:
Michelle Simpson Tuegel is an attorney who represents survivors of abuse, including the sex abuse case against former U.S. gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar. She is not involved in the case but said investigations in similar cases often include a review of electronic communications.
“I would expect that Allen PD, if they have not already, will be getting a search warrant for his electronic devices,” Simpson Tuegel said.
She said families sometimes are unaware of the extent of communications between coaches and young athletes.
“I often talk with parents and children who we represent, and we talk about how we need to look at all of their devices and see all the communications that they had with their coach,” she said. “And sometimes the parents’ response is, ‘Well, my kid didn’t communicate with the coach,’ and they didn’t realize that they were.”
Simpson Tuegel said it would not be unusual for additional alleged victims to come forward as a case moves forward, though as of now no additional victims have been publicly identified.
She added that in some cases, civil lawsuits may be filed after criminal proceedings conclude, potentially involving other adults or organizations.
What’s next:
The investigation remains ongoing, and no additional victims have come forward as of this article.
Shroats was booked into the Collin County Jail, where his total bond was set at $200,000.
The Source: Information in this article was provided through public court documents filed in Dallas County.
Texas
Trial for 9 involved in alleged attack on officers at North Texas ICE facility to start Monday following mistrial
A high-profile trial that was over before it began is set for a do-over next week in Fort Worth.
Federal District Judge Mark Pittman ordered a retrial of nine defendants accused in an alleged attack at a U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement detention center in Alvarado, Texas to begin on Monday, Feb. 23.
Jury selection will start at 9 a.m., with opening arguments after 14 jurors and alternates are empaneled.
The rules for the new trial are more restrictive than the first. Neither side will be allowed to question prospective jurors during voir dire; instead they will submit questions to the court and the judge will ask them.
In the first trial, each defense team had ten minutes for opening statements. That has been reduced to eight minutes. Each of their closing arguments can last no more than 12 minutes. The government is allowed 30 minutes for opening statements and 45 minutes for closing arguments.
Pittman said that he is exercising his right to limit those times “in order to prevent unnecessary expense or delay.” When declaring the mistrial on Tuesday, he said the proceedings had already cost hundreds of thousands of tax dollars.
Mistrial during jury selection
Jury selection was underway in the case on Tuesday, when Pittman abruptly sent prospective jurors out of the courtroom. He had noticed that defense attorney MarQuetta Clayton was wearing a T-shirt under her blazer with images of protesters on it.
Pittman said he saw no choice but to declare a mistrial because there was no way to know how many of the potential jurors had noticed the shirt or had been prejudiced by the shirt.
When the judge returned from a short recess, he said he had gone over caselaw to see how to rule. He had received word that one of the defense counsel or staff was wearing an anti-ICE lapel pin. No one came forward to admit that.
The judge then called Clayton up to the podium and made a note that she had turned her shirt inside out. He asked her what the graphics portrayed on the shirt, and she said Martin Luther King, Shirley Chisholm, and other civil rights protesters.
The judge said that the rules of conduct for trial say no graphic tees can be worn. He told the court that clothing cannot be used to sway the jury or provide testimony.
He said he had considered admonishing potential jurors, but that “there was no way of knowing if you can remove the skunk from the jury box.”
The judge also said that Clayton had tried to introduce a poster board showing scenes of protest during voir dire without first showing it to the judge or to the prosecution, which is against court rules.
Pittman said he would pursue a show-cause hearing for Clayton after the trial about her violation of the rules of conduct.
Texas
Texas man sentenced to life in prison for starving, beating his 6 children
Photo credit: RICHARD BOUHET/AFP via Getty Images
COLLIN COUNTY, Texas – A 28-year-old Princeton man was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to repeatedly beating and starving his six young children, leaving some with permanent scars and severe malnutrition, authorities said.
What we know:
Kevin Dixon was sentenced on seven counts of injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis announced.
District Judge Kim Laseter sentenced Dixon to life in prison on five counts related to physical abuse and 25 years on two counts related to malnourishment.
Due to a prior felony conviction, Dixon faced a punishment ranging from 15 to 99 years, or life in prison on each count.
What they’re saying:
Authorities said the abuse came to light after the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services contacted the family in February 2025.
Five of the children, all under age 10 and as young as two, had numerous marks and permanent scars and appeared severely underweight for their ages.
According to officials, the agency had previously warned Dixon in 2021 about failing to provide adequate living conditions and using excessive discipline.
“This father brutally beat and starved his own young children, some toddlers, leaving permanent scars and lasting trauma,” Willis said in a statement. “A tough sentence, like life in prison, is what it takes to protect vulnerable kids and ensure those who inflict such harm face full accountability.”
Local perspective:
After seeing the children’s condition in 2025, officers with the Princeton Police Department opened an investigation.
The children were interviewed at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Collin County, where they described being deprived of food and repeatedly struck with belts and cords, including one child who was beaten for taking a candy bar.
One detective documented extensive injuries and scarring on the children, including the 2-year-old, officials said.
The backstory:
Dixon, who had a prior 2015 robbery conviction for which he served prison time, pleaded guilty to all seven counts.
He will serve life sentences on the five counts involving physical abuse and 25-year sentences on the two counts involving malnourishment.
The Source: Information in this article was provided by Collin County officials.
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Fitness1 week ago‘I Keep Myself Very Fit’: Rod Stewart’s Age-Defying Exercise Routine at 81