Connect with us

Ohio

Drastic 3-point shooting differences proving differences between Ohio State’s wins, losses

Published

on

Drastic 3-point shooting differences proving differences between Ohio State’s wins, losses


play

It took five and a half minutes for Ohio State to hoist its first 3-pointer inside the Crisler Center. On their first eight possessions against Michigan, the Buckeyes either got the ball into the paint, turned it over trying to do so or attempted a shot from somewhere near the basket while building a 10-7 lead.

Then with 14:30 to play, Bruce Thornton attempted his team’s first 3-pointer on Monday afternoon, and it bricked off the rim. On the next possession, Jamison Battle missed one from the right corner. And on the next, Battle hit the side of the backboard from the same spot.

Advertisement

It was a sign of what was to come. Continuing what has become a trend this season, an inability to make shots from 3-point range directly tied into another loss for the Buckeyes.

To borrow an old cliché, Ohio State’s shooting inside the Crisler Center matched the temperatures outside: frigid. The Buckeyes finished 3 for 25 (12.0%) from deep in a 73-65 loss to the Wolverines, marking a third straight game where they failed to make more than one-third of their 3-point attempts.

Not coincidentally, Ohio State has lost all three of those games. As the Buckeyes try to avoid letting this streak turn into what last year became, the need to at least shoot better – if not spectacularly well – from deep has to be atop the list of concerns.

“What we can do is really evaluate the quality of our looks,” coach Chris Holtmann said. “Then they’ve got to trust their stroke. That’s really what we’re trying to evaluate: what are the quality of our looks?”

Advertisement

For the most part, Ohio State would appear to be getting shots it wants by guys it wants taking them. When the Buckeyes went to Indiana’s Assembly Hall on Jan. 6, they were shooting 38.0% from 3-point range. Battle was leading the way at 44.7% (42 for 94) with Roddy Gayle Jr. next at 39.5% (17 for 43) and Thornton close behind at 37.3% (28 for 75).

Three games later, Ohio State’s season 3-point shooting percentage has dropped to 35.2%. The Buckeyes have collectively shot 22.9% (16 for 70) from deep in losses to Indiana, Wisconsin and now Michigan. Entering Tuesday’s games, the Hoosiers ranked ninth in the Big Ten in 3-point percentage defense (32.9%), the Wolverines 12th (33.9%) and the Badgers 13th (34.9%).

Ohio State Buckeyes: Poor shooting dooms Ohio State at Indiana: 5 takeaways from another road loss

Against those teams, Battle has shot 43.5% from 3 (10 for 23) despite missing seven of his eight attempts against Michigan. Thornton is 3 for 19 (15.8%). Gayle is 0 for 12.

Advertisement

When shots aren’t falling, “It’s hard (to win),” Thornton said after the Michigan loss. “I’m not going to lie to you. Even though I’m not shooting well at all, I’ve got to shoot it like I’m going to make the next one every single time. That’s my thought process.”

Ohio State’s shooting splits between wins and losses are significant. The Buckeyes are shooting 38.8% (104 for 268) from 3 in their 12 wins and 27.0% (31 for 115) in their five losses. Battle has 15 of those 31 makes. The Buckeyes are 4-4 when shooting 33.3% or worse from 3 and 8-1 when bettering that mark.

Ohio State Buckeyes: Join the Ohio State Sports Insider text group with Bill Rabinowitz, Joey Kaufman Adam Jardy

There’s a few things that could help with those numbers. Ohio State has not experienced as much success in transition as it hoped for this year, but those numbers have also dipped in losses. The Buckeyes average 6.9 fast-break points in their wins and 4.8 in their losses, but win or lose they’ve only gotten into double figures in one of their last 11 games. Ohio State has also gone away from posting up centers Felix Okpara and Zed Key with any regularity, instead relying on them to get their production from lobs or put-backs.

That has meant fewer kick-outs to open shooters for shots that are generally the highest percentage 3-point attempts.

Advertisement

“We’ve struggled in general getting some transition where we were getting that earlier in the season,” Holtmann said on Tuesday’s radio show. “We’ve got to be better at that and getting some buckets on the glass.”

It all fits together. A few more made 3s will open up the opportunities down low, which will give the Buckeyes better opportunities at the rim and, in turn, better 3-point looks. And maybe, eventually, it will lead to winning again.

ajardy@dispatch.com

@AdamJardy

Get more Ohio State basketball news by listening to our podcasts





Source link

Advertisement

Ohio

Ohio mayor arrested on voyeurism charges after allegedly sniffing girl’s underwear

Published

on

Ohio mayor arrested on voyeurism charges after allegedly sniffing girl’s underwear


A Republican mayor in Ohio is facing criminal allegations after authorities say he was recorded on a concealed camera smelling an underage girl’s underwear.

An incident report from the Richland county sheriff’s Office details the accusations against Wesley Dingus, 48, who serves as mayor of Butler. The claims came from a juvenile who had been staying at his residence.

According to investigators, the teen had hidden a small camera in a bedroom in the home. On 13 January, she reportedly received multiple motion alerts indicating recordings had been captured. Deputies say the footage showed Dingus smelling at least four pairs of her underwear “for several seconds” and also “touching his groin area over his clothes”.

Richland county children’s services passed the report along to law enforcement the same day the alleged incident occurred, and a deputy later interviewed the girl at her school.

Advertisement

A deputy later contacted Dingus and arranged a meeting, but the conversation did not happen after his attorney advised canceling it, local news outlet WKYC reported. Authorities arrested Dingus nearly a month later, an action that took place on 13 February.

Dingus appeared in court on Thursday and pleaded not guilty. He was released after posting 10% of a $10,000 bond. Judge Michael Kemerer required him to wear a GPS monitor and barred him from contacting the accuser.

Deputies forwarded the case to a local prosecutor’s office on 26 January. After consulting with a member of that office, deputies prepared two court summonses charging Dingus with voyeurism, according to Cleveland19. Those summonses were then delivered to Dingus.

Dingus, who is a registered Republican according to public voter records, became mayor of Butler in 2022. Then mayor Joseph Stallard resigned, and Dingus was elevated to the vacant post from his role as council president.

Dingus was soon after elected to a full term after receiving 199 votes from the village’s fewer than 1,000 residents.

Advertisement

In August, Dingus was indicted on four counts related to an incident in which he allegedly struck a fleeing criminal suspect with his car, the Richland Source reported. Officials say that on 11 July, he saw a man attempting to escape from police and struck the man with his vehicle to prevent him from getting away. Dingus entered a plea of not guilty in that case, and the injured man was expected to recover.



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signs SB 295 into law

Published

on

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signs SB 295 into law


COLUMBUS, Ohio (WOIO) – Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Ohio Senate Bill 295 into law Friday.

Senate Bill 295 will increase the competency restoration time from one-year to five-years in cases of aggravated murder, murder, or where the possible sentence is life in prison.

SB 295 was sponsored by State Senator Nathan H. Manning (R-North Ridgeville) and State Senator Thomas F. Patton (R-Strongsville), with strong support from the parents of murdered Cleveland Police Officer Jamieson Ritter and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley

They spoke before the Ohio House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

Advertisement
Parents of murdered Cleveland Police Officer Ritter fight to change competency law

Officer Ritter was fatally shot on July 4, 2024, in the 1500 block of E. 80th St.

His accused killer, Delawnte Hardy, 26, is currently at Central Ohio Behavioral Healthcare (COBH) to see if he can be restored to competency to stand trial.

However, as of now, Hardy has still been deemed incompetent, and the deadline to review his competency was Friday.

Hardy is also accused of killing his own grandmother, Beatrice Porter, on June 28, 2024, at her Garfield Heights home.

Officer Jamieson Ritter was killed while serving a warrant on July 4, 2024(Cleveland Police Department via WOIO)

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Cleveland police officer fatally shot in the city’s Hough neighborhood, suspect charged

Advertisement
Delawnte Hardy arraigned on July 15, 2024
Delawnte Hardy arraigned on July 15, 2024(Bingel, Julia | (Source: WOIO))
Delawnte Hardy
Delawnte Hardy((Source: Cleveland police))

Officer Ritter was honored at a memorial service in Cleveland on July 8, 2024 and laid to rest in his home state of New York on July 13, 2024.



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Ohio Lottery Post-Game Concert Series returns to GABP with four shows in 2026

Published

on

Ohio Lottery Post-Game Concert Series returns to GABP with four shows in 2026


The Ohio Lottery Post-Game Concert Series is back for the 2026 season with live performances from Jon Pardi, Marshmello, Rick Ross and Ludacris after four Reds games at Great American Ball Park.
Jon Pardi – Wednesday, July 8 vs. Philadelphia Phillies (7:10 p.m. game time)
MCA Nashville artist Jon Pardi



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending