Connect with us

World

Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

Published

on

Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Israel Defense Forces said on Saturday that it had killed the Houthi prime minister and several other senior officials in a strike in Yemen. 

“Houthi Prime Minister, Ahmed Al-Rahawi, along with additional senior officials of the Houthi terrorist regime were eliminated during an IDF strike in Sanaa, Yemen,” the IDF said in a social media post.

The IDF said it had targeted a Houthi site where officials responsible “for the use of force, the military buildup of the Houthi terror regime, and the advancement of terror actions against Israel. The IDF will continue to target all threats against Israeli civilians.” 

The airstrike was conducted by the Israeli Air Force Thursday using intelligence gathered by the IDF. 

Advertisement

ISRAEL CONFIRMS STRIKE ON HOUTHIS IN YEMEN, MARKS SECOND TIME THIS WEEK

Yemen’s Houthi-led government’s prime minister, Ahmed al-Rahawi, was killed by Israel Defense Forces Thursday. (Mohammed Huwais/AFP via Getty Images)

“The strike was made possible by seizing an intelligence opportunity and completing a rapid operational cycle, which took place within a few hours,” the IDF said. 

A Houthi statement confirmed Al-Rahawi’s death. 

It was Israel’s second strike against the Houthis in Yemen in a week. 

Advertisement

On Sunday, Israel hit Yemen’s capital in response to missiles fired by the Houthis. The attack killed six people and wounded 86 others, according to Reuters, which cited a Houthi Health Ministry spokesperson.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz and IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir watch as the IDF carries out strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen. (Ministry of Defense)

“As we warned the Houthis in Yemen: ‘After the plague of darkness comes the plague of the death,’” said Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz, who was in the IDF central command during the attack. “Whoever raises a hand against Israel, their hand will be cut off.”

ISRAEL HAMMERS HOUTHIS WITH AIRSTRIKES, REBELS RESPOND AMID RED SEA FLARE-UP

The IDF previously said the Houthis were operating under Iran’s direction to harm Israel and its allies. The IDF also blamed the Houthis for “undermining regional stability and disrupting global freedom of navigation.” 

Advertisement

The strikes Thursday were launched after Israel intercepted two drones from Yemen and happened during a speech by Houthi leader Abdul-Malik Badreddin al-Houthi, according to YNet. Additionally, the Israeli outlet reported that the speech went on without interruption.

Houthi supporters chant slogans during a weekly anti-Israel rally in Sanaa, Yemen, Friday. (AP Photo/Osamah Abdulrahman)

The conflict between Israel and the Houthis has gone on for nearly two years. 

The Iran-backed terror force threatened to strike Israel just days after Hamas’ Oct. 7 massacre. Within weeks of Hamas’ attacks, the Houthis shot missiles and drones at Israel that were intercepted by U.S. forces aboard the USS Carney.

Advertisement

The Houthis have continued to attack Israel in support to Hamas. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

World

Video: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland

Published

on

Video: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland

new video loaded: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland

transcript

transcript

Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland

President Trump has promised to deploy 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland, seemingly reversing course from his previous statements. NATO allies responded cautiously during a summit on Friday and pushed for greater military self-reliance.

“Well, of course I welcome the announcement. Our military commanders are working through all the details, but of course I welcome it. But let’s be clear: The trajectory we are on, which is a stronger Europe and a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step by step, be less reliant on one ally only, as we have been for so long, which is the United States.” “Well, it is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate. But we need to continue to focus on what we do, and not what everyone else says.”

Advertisement
President Trump has promised to deploy 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland, seemingly reversing course from his previous statements. NATO allies responded cautiously during a summit on Friday and pushed for greater military self-reliance.

By Jorge Mitssunaga

May 22, 2026

Continue Reading

World

Mojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst

Published

on

Mojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has spent nearly three months in hiding as tensions with the U.S. escalate — a disappearance that counterterrorism analysts say mirrors the final years of al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.

The comparison comes amid a critical standoff between Washington and Tehran that prompted President Donald Trump to pause a planned strike on May 19. On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he was in “no hurry.”

Khamenei, meanwhile, appeared to share three posts on his official X account on May 18 but remains out of public view.

“For the first time in the history of the Islamic Republic, the United States has done to Tehran what it spent two decades doing to al-Qaeda and ISIS,” counterterrorism expert Dr. Omar Mohammed told Fox News Digital.

Advertisement

THE MISSING MULLAH: IRAN’S ‘SUPREME LEADER’ A NO-SHOW FOR NEGOTIATIONS, THEN HID AS US POUNDED NUKE SITES

Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei is shown in a portrait image. (Fox News)

“The U.S. has driven its leader into the same kind of operational invisibility that bin Laden lived in for 10 years in Abbottabad,” he added.

“Both Mojtaba Khamenei and bin Laden inherited their status on the back of an American operation, and both responded the same way: by ceasing to exist publicly,” Mohammed said before adding that bin Laden “stopped releasing dated videos around 2007 and confined himself to audio messages carried by hand.”

Bin Laden founded al-Qaeda in the late 1980s and masterminded the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States.

Advertisement

After the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, bin Laden evaded capture for a decade by hiding inside a fortified compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

To avoid Western electronic surveillance, he severed his digital footprint and relied exclusively on a network of physical couriers, said Mohammed, an expert with the Antisemitism Research Initiative at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism.

U.S. intelligence eventually tracked one of those couriers to the compound, culminating in the 2011 Navy SEAL raid that killed the al Qaeda leader.

OPERATION EPIC FURY: HOW AMERICA’S AIR POWER IS CRUSHING IRAN’S TERROR REGIME

Portrait of former al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden was killed in 2011 in a daring SEAL Team 6 raid in Pakistan. (Photo by Stephane Ruet/Sygma via Getty Images)

Advertisement

“Bin Laden survived with no cables out of the Abbottabad compound. Communications were carried by hand by two trusted couriers, the Kuwaiti brothers,” Mohammed said.

“Bin Laden stayed hidden for the rest of his life because the moment he surfaced was the moment he died. Mojtaba’s incentives point the same way. Mojtaba Khamenei won’t emerge,” he said.

“The Abbottabad lesson, which Tehran will have studied closely, is that the safest hiding place is not a cave in Tora Bora but a walled compound in a garrison town,” Mohammed added, recalling how U.S. forces targeted bin Laden in the cave complex before he escaped.

Bin Laden also lived roughly a mile from Pakistan’s top military academy, hiding in plain sight behind high concrete walls and barbed wire, Mohammed noted.

“The logical Iranian equivalents are hardened sites under or alongside IRGC facilities,” Mohammed added, referring to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and possible locations where Khamenei could be.

Advertisement

As previously reported by Fox News Digital, one of Khamenei’s few recent communications was an X post declaring a “holy war,” framing the geopolitical clash as a mandatory religious obligation.

INSIDE IRAN’S RULING IDEOLOGY: HOW A ‘HOLY MISSION’ AND MESSIANIC DOCTRINE FUEL REGIME EXTREMISM

President Donald Trump said, “I got him before he got me” after Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and several top leaders were killed in an Israeli strike in Tehran during the U.S.-Israeli military offensive called Operation Epic Fury. (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images; Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

“This is a religious leader calling for sacred war against America and the Jews from an undisclosed location because his enemies have publicly vowed to kill him on sight,” Mohammed said, describing the narrative as “the bin Laden template, almost line for line.”

Mohammed also suggested Khamenei’s retreat into the shadows marks a watershed moment for Washington and the future of the Iranian regime.

Advertisement

His predecessor and father, Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was killed Feb. 28 in a targeted U.S.-Israeli airstrike in Tehran during Operation Epic Fury.

“This regime that for 47 years projected its power through a single visible Supreme Leader at the Friday prayer pulpit can no longer produce that figure on demand,” he said, calling it a “strategic milestone.”

“Predecessors killed by U.S. strikes and successors who cannot show their faces. Real power exercised by a security apparatus rather than by the nominal figurehead.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“Now one side is announcing operations on three continents through its president; the other is governed on paper by a man whose own population is uncertain where he is or what state he is in,” Mohammed said.

Advertisement

“The contrast is also about the optics of leadership during this war,” he added.

Continue Reading

World

China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews

Published

on

France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, says the European Union must stop being “naive” and shift its mindset when addressing trade imbalances, saying that the approach should encompass all countries weaponising foreign trade.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending