World
Acid Attack in Indonesia Evokes Brutality of Suharto Era
Andrie Yunus, an outspoken critic of the military’s expanding power in Indonesia, was riding his motorbike last month in Jakarta when two men rode past and threw acid in his face. He suffered burns to 24 percent of his body and damage to his right eye.
The ambush, which recalled Indonesia’s decades under a military dictatorship, was captured on street surveillance cameras. Within days, the authorities arrested four members of a military intelligence unit — a captain, two lieutenants and a sergeant. Their trial in a military court began Wednesday.
But human rights activists say that many more people were involved in the attack, and that the rush to try the four men is part of an attempt to shield the mastermind who authorized it.
“This was an intelligence operation,” said Fadhil Alfathan, a member of the Advocacy Team for Democracy, a coalition of rights groups backing Mr. Andrie. “It was a well-planned and well-trained operation, starting with surveillance, stalking, then tailing, execution and escape.”
The assault on Mr. Andrie, 27, the deputy coordinator for the prominent rights group, Kontras, is reminiscent of the brutality of the 32-year dictatorship under Suharto, who stepped down in 1998 in the face of massive pro-democracy protests. Now rights activists fear that the military’s influence is growing again under the current president, Prabowo Subianto, Suharto’s former son-in-law and once a widely feared general.
Mr. Andrie’s supporters say the acid attack on the evening of March 12 was a premeditated attempt to kill him because of his criticism of the military’s increasing role in government, including a law adopted after Mr. Prabowo took office that allows active armed forces officers to hold more government posts.
More than 420 rights groups and hundreds of activists around the world have signed a statement condemning the attack and calling for it to be investigated “thoroughly and transparently.”
The police conducted an initial investigation of the attack and quickly identified two suspects who belonged to the military.
The Advocacy Team for Democracy obtained and analyzed street surveillance videos from the weeks before the assault and concluded that at least 16 operatives were involved in following and surveilling Mr. Andrie.
Mr. Prabowo promised a thorough investigation.
“This is a barbaric act, we must pursue it,” the president said in remarks released a week after the attack. “We must investigate. Who ordered them, who paid.”
Days later, the general who headed the military’s main intelligence arm, the Strategic Intelligence Agency, quietly resigned. He is not known to be facing any charges.
But on March 31, the police announced that the case had been transferred to the military, which meant that military prosecutors would have the ability to limit the scope of the investigation and determine what information is made public.
Mr. Andrie came to public attention in March of last year when he led a small group of protesters who barged into a closed parliamentary meeting at a luxury hotel in Jakarta. The lawmakers were discussing the measure to let active military officers hold government posts.
In a scene captured on video, Mr. Andrie railed against the legislation before security officers pushed the protesters from the room.
The measure was later approved by Parliament and signed into law by Mr. Prabowo.
In a letter this month to Constitutional Court judges who are reviewing the law,Mr. Andrie objected to the transfer of the assault case to a military court, saying such courts have been “a hotbed of impunity for soldiers who commit human rights violations.”
“In this case, if it is not tried in the public court,” he added, “it is a serious violation of the principle of equality before the law.”
The military prosecutor handling the case announced in mid-April that the attack by the four operatives was motivated by a “personal vendetta” against Mr. Andrie.
The suspects are charged with assault causing serious injury and premeditated assault. They face a maximum of 12 years in prison.
Mr. Andrie has been hospitalized since the attack. He has not been interviewed by anyone from the police or the military, said Lakso Anindito, a lawyer from the Advocacy Team for Democracy who is representing him.
Mr. Lakso said he does not expect that his client will be called to testify.
He said he believes the attackers moved to silence him a year after the hotel protest because he was relentless in his criticism of the military and the 2025 law.
“It’s because Andrie never stops,” he said. “He is persistent in fighting this law. And an attack like this doesn’t just happen. It takes at least two months for them before it leads to that day.”
The attackers were so bold that they rode up to him and threw acid in his face despite the visible presence of numerous surveillance cameras in the area.
One video that captures Mr. Andrie seconds after the ambush shows him jumping off his motorbike, ripping off his shirt and screaming in agony as a crowd quickly gathers. Doctors say he suffered severe chemical burns on his face, hands, neck and chest. His helmet and visor saved him from even more serious harm.
Doctors have operated on Mr. Andrie five times in an effort to save the sight in his right eye.
In a letter to the president, Mr. Andrie called on him to ensure that the trial of his accused attackers adheres to the principle of due process, free from “corrupt interests.”
“This case is not solely about me,” he concluded, “but about the state’s commitment to protecting its citizens and upholding the law fairly.”
Indonesia has a history of impunity in the handling of attacks on human rights activists and corruption fighters.
The assault on Mr. Andrie is similar to a 2017 acid attack against a leading anti-corruption investigator, Novel Baswedan. Two police officers were found guilty of splashing sulfuric acid in Mr. Novel’s face as they rode by on a motorbike. The attack left him blind in one eye and half-blind in the other.
Mr. Novel, a senior investigator for Indonesia’s respected Corruption Eradication Commission, has said he was never able to determine who was behind the attack but believes it was someone he investigated. The police officers were sentenced to 18 and 24 months.
Mr. Andrie’s case also recalled the 2004 murder of Munir Said Thalib, the Kontras founder. Mr. Munir, a prominent critic of the military, was poisoned with arsenic while flying from Jakarta to Amsterdam and died before the plane landed. An off-duty Garuda airline pilot was found guilty of planning the murder but allegations that the state intelligence agency was behind the killing were never fully investigated.
World
Nato ships in Hormuz if the Strait does not reopen by July
Re-open Hormuz and end the war in Iran. The fears of the G7 in Paris relate to the impact of the conflict on an already sluggish global economy given the fallout ‘on energy, food and fertiliser supply chains’. The imperative is therefore ‘a rapid return to free and safe movement across the Strait of Hormuz and a lasting solution to the conflict’. Trump, at the urging of the Gulf countries, suspends the resumption of hostilities and gives a new ultimatum to Tehran, ‘two or three days’. Additional time for negotiations desired by Qatar: ‘Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts need more time’
World
Hezbollah grooms children for martyrdom through its scout movement, report claims
Rubio addresses Middle East tensions and Cuba’s future in exclusive interview
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks in an exclusive interview about escalating Middle East tensions, including the Israel-Lebanon ceasefire and the imperative to dismantle Hezbollah. Rubio also highlights Cuba’s status as a failed state and its national security threats to the United States, advocating for substantial economic reforms to address the country’s energy crisis. He further discusses the Trump administration’s firm stance against Iran’s use of the Strait of Hormuz.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The U.S.-designated Lebanon-based terrorist movement Hezbollah exploits children from its version of the scout movement to carry out jihadi missions that result in their deaths, according to a recent report on Lebanon’s MTV television network.
The Lebanese network’s report — translated by the Washington, D.C.-based Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) — comes amid U.S.-brokered peace talks between Israel and Beirut.
The report claims that Hezbollah gives child fighters heroes’ funerals and publicly glorifies them before their peers in order to encourage other children to follow in their footsteps. The MTV report said Hezbollah believes that every drop of bloodshed by child soldiers brings victory closer.
ISRAEL POUNDS HEZBOLLAH TARGETS, DARING LEBANON TO RECLAIM SOVEREIGNTY FROM IRAN-BACKED TERROR PROXY
Hezbollah al-Mahdi scouts parade with large portraits of Iran’s late leader Ayatollah Khomeini and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during an event for Jerusalem Day in Nabatiyeh, Lebanon, on Aug. 1, 2013. (Hussein Malla/AP Photo)
It also claimed that Hezbollah uses its scout movements to cultivate an entire generation of obedient children prepared to die, through rhetoric that glorifies death and martyrdom. The MTV report, according to the MEMRI translation, said that “Hezbollah child soldiers have been used since the 1980s by this outlaw armed group. Not just as armed fighters but as Khomeini-loyal scouts.”
The late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, reportedly exploited the use of Iranian children during the country’s 1980-1988 war against Iraq.
Matthew Levitt, a leading scholar on Hezbollah from the Washington Institute, said that “Hezbollah’s recruitment and radicalization of youth through its Mahdi Scouts is long documented,” other experts talking to Fox News Digital concurred.
“Hezbollah has boy scouts, and they have been taught jihad, and it is a well-known thing in Lebanon,” Mideast expert Walid Phares told Fox News Digital.
UNRWA SCHOOLS ‘HIJACKED BY HAMAS,’ WATCHDOG REPORT WARNS
The Lebanon expert said they could be termed “children jihadists” who are preparing to become full Hezbollah fighters. Phares said they mostly assign them [the children of Hezbollah fighters] to spying and transporting ammunition. He argued if the scouts are getting funding from a ministry or national boy scouts association in Lebanon, they should be sanctioned if they have the evidence.
Multiple Fox News Digital Emails and phone calls to the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM) were not immediately returned. The U.S. branch of WOSM referred Fox News Digital to WOSM, which is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
A Hezbollah expert from the Israel Alma Research and Education Center, Sarit Zehavi, called for action against the exploitation of children by the terror group.
“The only way to bring a change is to designate all of these allegedly civilian activities of Hezbollah and close the movement of its scouts, and enable the Shiites of Lebanon to have a different source of services, whether it is educational, formal or informal, which will be part of the Lebanese state, and not part of Hezbollah. The loyalty will be to the Lebanese state and not to Khomeini and the Islamic Republic.”
She added, “This is only something Lebanon can do with a lot of international pressure, of course, led by the United States.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
An Israeli diplomat, Tammy Rahamimoff-Honig, posted on X: “Hezbollah sacrifices Lebanese children to further the ambitions of the Iranian regime. This isn’t ‘resistance’. It’s child abuse.”
Lebanon’s Ambassador to the U.S. declined to provide comment for this article.
World
Video. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties
Updated:
Former German Chancellor Angela Merkel was awarded the European Order of Merit on Tuesday. Merkel warned that Europe could no longer take peace and security for granted following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. She also said changes in US security policy showed old certainties were fading.
-
Movie Reviews8 minutes ago‘Ben’Imana’ Review: Rwandan Women Confront National Wounds and Family Secrets in a Searing Drama
-
World20 minutes agoNato ships in Hormuz if the Strait does not reopen by July
-
News25 minutes agoVideo: Tornado Rips Through Rural Community in Nebraska
-
Lifestyle1 hour ago15 books our critics can’t wait for this summer
-
Technology1 hour agoKickstarter just killed its new mature content rules
-
World1 hour agoHezbollah grooms children for martyrdom through its scout movement, report claims
-
Politics2 hours agoJD Vance says Trump is ‘locked and loaded’ to restart military campaign against Iran if nuclear talks fail
-
Health2 hours agoWoman says she’s being held against her will after cruise ship hantavirus scare