Utah
Avian flu affecting Utah turkey facilities, UDAF confirms
TAYLORSVILLE — Four new cases of avian flu outbreaks have been reported in Utah, affecting three Piute County turkey facilities, the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food said in a press release.
“Between November 10 to 19, 2024, three turkey farms in Piute County totaling 107,800 turkeys and one backyard flock of 253 birds in Salt Lake County were confirmed positive for HPAI,” the department said. “Though the overall risk to public health remains low, HPAI is a serious disease, requiring rapid response, including depopulation of affected flocks as it is highly contagious and fatal to poultry.”
There are currently five poultry farms in Utah under quarantine, according to the department.
“In the backyard flock because it’s so deadly, all but 33 birds died. All the turkeys are being depopulated because it’s highly contagious,” said Caroline Hargraves with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food.
Officials said affected birds were depopulated within 24 hours of the reported outbreaks, and that impacts on food supply are expected to be limited.
“State and federal personnel are on-site to ensure all requirements for disinfection and proper disposal are followed,” the department said.
Officials said that poultry owners should “practice strong biosecurity and monitor flocks for signs of illness.”
The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food asked poultry owners to report sick birds to the State Veterinarian’s Office at statevet@utah.gov. They also said that people interacting with sick birds should take special precautions including using personal protective equipment.
Utah
Utah father now accused of abusing 2 teen girls
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — An Eagle Mountain father accused of abusing a teenage girl is now accused of also abusing the girl’s older sister.
Julio Cesar Mena, 51, was charged earlier this week in 4th District Court with aggravated child abuse, a first-degree felony. He is accused in that case of forcibly shaving off his 14-year-old daughter’s hair because he was angry with her grades at school.
When questioned by police, Mena claimed he did the same thing to his oldest daughter, “and it fixed the problem,” a police booking affidavit says.
On Thursday, the Utah County Sheriff’s Office announced that Mena is now also being held in jail for investigation of aggravated child abuse and another crime in connection with a 17-year-old girl.
The girl told police that a couple of years ago, “Mena physically restrained her, dragged her around their residence in Eagle Mountain by her hair, and used electric hair clippers to shave her head nearly bald. The victim advised Mena told her he cut her hair because he wanted her to feel ashamed, embarrassed, and wished for her to be bullied by her classmates at school,” a new police booking affidavit states.
“She mentioned that she stopped eating food and started losing weight due to a fear of having to interact with her father while preparing meals in the kitchen at their residence. The victim also advised she became extremely fatigued due to a lack of sleep as a result of trying to stay awake just in case her father entered her room to throw cold water on her randomly,” the affidavit states.
The teen also revealed an additional incident of abuse in 2021, according to the affidavit.
Child abuse resources:
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition operates a confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic abuse hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465). Resources are also available online: udvc.org. The statewide child abuse and neglect hotline is 1-855-323-DCFS (3237).
- The Utah Division of Child and Family Services offers counseling, teaches parenting skills and conflict resolution and can connect families with community resources. Its goal is to keep children with their family when it is “possible and safe.” Visit dcfs.utah.gov/contact-us/ or call 801-538-4100.
- The Christmas Box House acts as a temporary shelter for children and can provide them with new clothing and shoes, among other services. Call the Salt Lake office at 801-747-2201 or the Ogden office at 801-866-0350.
Utah
Utah man pardoned for Jan. 6 discusses new $1.7B ‘anti-weaponization fund’ from Trump DOJ
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) — A Utah man who was pardoned for entering the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, alongside rioters is sharing his thoughts about the creation of the “anti-weaponization” fund, intended to compensate people who feel they were wrongfully prosecuted.
The fund was created by the Department of Justice (DOJ) after President Donald Trump reached a settlement with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Trump originally filed the lawsuit against the IRS over the leaking of his tax returns.
The “anti-weaponization” fund will receive $1.776 billion and will be used to compensate those pursuing settlements because they believe they were wrongfully targeted by the government. The DOJ has said that there is no partisan requirement to file a claim and has not specified who the fund is meant for.
Brad Bokowski accepted a plea deal in connection with Jan. 6, 2021, and he was later pardoned by President Trump in 2025. He told ABC4.com, “I think there’s a lot of people who deserve to be reimbursed for their expenses, for all the harms that have happened to them, all the ways that the government tried to destroy, or did, in many cases, their lives.”
Many believe that it will likely be used to compensate people convicted or pardoned for storming the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.
Bokoski said that he believes the fund is a positive step, “not only for J6ers, but for others who have experienced similar government attacks throughout their lives.”
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche reportedly resisted demands from Republican lawmakers to limit who the fund could go to. The creation of the fund has been unpopular among members of the president’s own party. Multiple lawsuits have been filed to try to block this fund, including by a former prosecutor and two police officers who were working at the Capitol on Jan. 6.
The creation of the fund isn’t the first time Bokoski has thought about pursuing compensation for what he experienced.
“I’ve been trying to claim money for about a year and a half now,” he said. “I’ve employed two attorneys to file a federal tort claim to recoup damages and expenses. It’s been held up in the FBI awaiting Freedom of Information Act requests that the FBI has been blocking.”
He said that his attorneys will be advising him on how to approach the anti-weaponization fund. Any money he may receive will go toward a retirement, but what he really wants is justice, against people who he described as traitors, like Nancy Pelosi.
“I was put in jail, detained, awaiting my detainment. I never thought I was going to be released, thinking I was going to be another one of those J6ers who would be in jail for years with no hearing in sight,” he said. “So, you have that kind of despair and emotion that’s running through your head, as well as hopefulness that the pardon will have some positive impact on your life, and it has, and then maybe to be compensated for those things.”
He also said that he feels like he was targeted by the Biden DOJ and by the media, and that the prosecution coerced him to accept a plea deal.
“If I didn’t accept it, they were going to transfer the misdemeanors to felonies, and I would be spending how many years in jail for walking in a hallway for four minutes and taking pictures after being welcomed by a police officer who said, and I quote, welcome to the people’s house. Feel free to walk around and take some pictures.”
When it comes to those who assaulted officers at the Capitol on Jan. 6, Bokoski said he hopes they received appropriate punishment. “If the government went beyond that, then they should be compensated for that marginal increase in weaponization there,” he said.
Bokoski was in Washington D.C. on Jan. 6 2021 with his son. They went to attend Trump’s rally, and when Trump told the crowd to go march down to the Capitol, they did.
“My son and I looked at each other, said, hey, you want to go check it out? We looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said, why not? You know, we’ve flown all this way. So, we walked through the open doorway, took some pictures and left. There was our intent,” he recounted.
The fund will create a commission consisting of give members appointed by the DOJ, with one member chosen “in consultation with congressional leadership,” and they will process claims until Dec. 1, 2028. At this time, it is not entirely clear how the commission will determine who qualifies for compensation. By the end of it, any funds that were not released will return to the federal government.
Utah
Fast internet is coming to slow parts of Cache Valley
Something fast is coming to slow, rural stretches of Cache Valley.
Utah Broadband plans to construct 315 miles of fiber-optic infrastructure in several rural areas across northern Utah, including several parts of Cache County.
In a news release, the company said it plans to use $23 million in half-loan, half-grant funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to bring “world-class high-speed internet to underserved rural areas.” The new connections will allow 3,000 homes, businesses, farms, and other users to simultaneously download and upload at 10 gigabits per second, according to the company.
According to spokesperson Abi Breur, Utah Broadband plans to make the lightning-fast connection available in several areas throughout Cache County — including parts of Paradise, Amalga, Petersboro, Cornish, and Trenton — as well as a few places in the bordering Box Elder County, like Beaver Dam and Collinston.
“The communities receiving fiber internet previously did not have access to internet speeds of 100 mbps or higher,” Breur said. “Priority was also given to areas where at least 90% of households lacked reliable high-speed internet access.”
Though the state was not involved in the grant and loan funding that Utah Broadband received from the USDA, the state’s Utah Broadband Center is supportive of the company’s expansion.
“We are really glad … that they applied for these funds and they were awarded. It’s very competitive,” said Rebecca Dilg, the center’s director. “And this helps us out in our effort to make sure that everybody across the state, including Cache County … will have access to high-speed internet.”
The project, according to Utah Broadband’s news release, also marks the company’s first move into Cache County.
“This award represents more than just infrastructure; it’s about bridging the digital divide for our neighbors who have been left behind by the modern economy,” CEO Ben Elkins said in the release. “By bringing multi-gigabit speeds to rural northern Utah, we are ensuring that our rural students, small-business owners and families have the same opportunities as those in the most connected urban centers.”
-
Tennessee5 minutes ago
What Tee Martin said about joining Lane Kiffin’s staff, son’s transfer to LSU
-
Texas11 minutes ago2026 NCAA softball tournament: Bracket, schedule for the Women’s College World Series, scores
-
Utah17 minutes agoUtah father now accused of abusing 2 teen girls
-
Vermont22 minutes agoPolice search for missing Pownal, Vt., teen
-
Washington35 minutes agoWashington State Ferries makes room for pets, paws with new policy launching this summer
-
Wisconsin41 minutes ago12 Offbeat Wisconsin Towns To Visit In 2026
-
West Virginia46 minutes agoHow to watch Kansas baseball play West Virginia in Big 12 tournament
-
Wyoming53 minutes agoWyoming sinks another $4.8M into predator killing as demand, costs keep growing