Connect with us

San Francisco, CA

Deadly hospital stabbing puts Newsom under pressure over ICE detainer fight

Published

on

Deadly hospital stabbing puts Newsom under pressure over ICE detainer fight


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A man is dead after a brutal stabbing inside a San Francisco hospital and now federal immigration officials are pointing squarely at California’s sanctuary policies and the Biden administration’s border decisions as contributing factors.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is urging Governor Gavin Newsom and state officials not to release the suspect, a Venezuelan national in the country illegally who had previously been encountered and released by Border Patrol.

Wilfredo Jose Tortolero-Arriechi is accused of fatally stabbing 51-year-old Alberto Rangel inside Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital on December 4. Rangel succumbed to his injuries two days later, on December 6.

Advertisement

According to the Department of Homeland Security, ICE has already lodged a detainer request to keep Tortolero-Arriechi in custody — a request that now hangs in the balance in a state that has repeatedly clashed with federal immigration enforcement.

DHS TAKES VICTORY LAP AFTER ARRESTING OVER 10K ILLEGAL ALIENS IN DEEP BLUE CITY DESPITE VIOLENT RIOTS

Alberto Rangel, 51, died after being stabbed inside Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital in San Francisco on Dec. 4, 2025. (Department of Homeland Security)

“If it weren’t for the Biden administration’s reckless open-border policies, Alberto Rangel would still be alive,” Acting Assistant Secretary Lauren Bis said in a statement, directly tying the killing to federal immigration policy. She also called on Newsom to ensure the suspect is not released, blasting sanctuary policies that she says “put American lives at risk.”

The suspect had reportedly displayed alarming behavior in the weeks leading up to the attack, allegedly threatening hospital staff and his own doctor before the deadly stabbing unfolded.

Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT RELEASED UNDER BIDEN ‘CATCH AND RELEASE’ ALLEGEDLY KILLS DRIVER IN POLICE CHASE

Wilfredo Jose Tortolero-Arriechi, a Venezuelan national in the U.S. illegally, is charged in the fatal stabbing of Alberto Rangel at a San Francisco hospital. (Department of Homeland Security)

Federal officials say Tortolero-Arriechi was first encountered by U.S. Border Patrol in 2023 and then released into the country. The case is adding new fuel to the fight over California’s sanctuary policies.

Earlier this year, ICE revealed that more than 33,000 criminal illegal immigrants are currently in custody across California with active detainers, including individuals accused or convicted of serious crimes such as homicide, sexual assault and drug trafficking.

Despite that, officials say thousands have been released.

Advertisement

GOT A TIP?

Since January 2026 alone, California jurisdictions have declined to honor ICE detainers in more than 4,500 cases, according to the agency. Those releases included individuals tied to dozens of homicides, hundreds of assaults and a wide range of other violent and drug-related offenses, ICE said.

FOLLOW US ON X

The latest push from federal officials builds on earlier warnings. In February, Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons sent a letter to California Attorney General Rob Bonta urging him to “put the safety of Americans first” by honoring detainers for more than 33,000 criminal illegal immigrants in state custody.

Lyons warned that “no community serious about keeping its residents safe will tolerate a clear aberration of the law,” pressing California officials to cooperate with ICE and take “the worst of the worst off the streets.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Alberto Rangel’s death is now being used by federal officials to underscore what they argue are the real-world consequences of those policies.

GET BREAKING NEWS BY EMAIL

California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom is being criticized by angel mother Agnes Gibboney (far right), whose son, Ronald da Silva, was killed by an illegal immigrant gang member in 2002. (Carlin Stiehl/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images; White House)

Newsom’s office pushed back on that characterization, saying the state’s approach prioritizes accountability and public safety.

“If someone commits a serious crime, they should be held accountable in our justice system,” a spokesperson for Newsom’s office told Fox News Digital. “Allowing someone to evade responsibility simply by being deported undermines the rule of law and completely disrespects the victims harmed by that crime. Our focus must always be to ensure those who commit violent acts face their consequences here.”

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE US NEWS

A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson told Fox News Digital on Jan. 20, 2026, that a criminal illegal alien allegedly weaponized his vehicle to ram law enforcement officers in Compton, Calif., in an attempt to evade arrest. (KTTV)

The governor’s office also pointed to California’s record of cooperating with federal immigration authorities in certain cases, noting that, since 2019, the state has coordinated the transfer of more than 12,000 individuals, including those convicted of serious and violent crimes, into ICE custody.

Officials added that state law allows coordination with ICE for individuals convicted of serious felonies or those facing credible charges, and said California does not interfere with federal immigration enforcement.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

They also argued that federal authorities do not always take custody of individuals when detainers are issued, claiming ICE fails to pick up roughly one in eight people released from state prisons who have immigration holds.

Tortolero-Arriechi remains in custody at the San Francisco County Jail, where he faces homicide and weapons charges, as pressure mounts on California leaders over whether they will comply with federal requests to keep him there.

In a statement issued after his death in December 2025, SEIU Local 521 Chief Elected Officer Riko Mendez said, “Our hearts are with the family, friends, and coworkers of Alberto Rangel,” remembering him as a dedicated social worker.



Source link

San Francisco, CA

Headlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco

Published

on

Headlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco


Streetsblog has migrated to a new comment system. New commenters can register directly in the comments section of any article. Returning commenters: your previous comments and display name have been preserved, but you’ll need to reclaim your account by clicking “Forgot your password?” on the sign-in form, entering your email, and following the verification link to set a new password — this is required because passwords could not be carried over during the migration. For questions, contact tips@streetsblog.org.



Source link

Continue Reading

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area

Published

on

San Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area


With the World Cup coming to the Bay Area, local youth players say they’ve been waiting for this moment their whole lives.

For 13-year-old Aaliyah Prieto, soccer is more than just a game. It’s a feeling. Watch her play and you just might feel it too.

“I love soccer. It’s such a good sport. It’s the ball, when you’re running, when you’re kicking – almost like a rush,” she said.

When she plays, Prieto is all business. Just minutes into practice she scored a rather impressive goal. Prieto is part of a free after-school league in San Francisco’s Mission District, aptly named Girls Got Goals, where many come from lower-income families.

Advertisement

But right now, it’s not the championship that has her all fired up. It’s something bigger.

“I’m pretty excited about the World Cup,” Prieto said. “Me and my dad love watching it. If we could go in person, we would. It’s really expensive though.”

Soccer fever is sweeping the country. And nowhere more than in the Bay Area, host to six World Cup games.

If history is any indicator, this summer could give the sport just the kick it needs. The last time the World Cup came to the United States in 1994, it literally helped create Major League Soccer. The league started with ten teams. Today there are thirty.

In the Mission District, where soccer has always been more religion than recreation, the buzz is at a whole other level.

Advertisement

Ariel Esqueda, who’s run Girls Got Goals for nearly two decades, said for these players, many from families who came here from Latin America where soccer is everything, the World Cup landing in their backyard gives them something they don’t always get: a leg up.

“Statistically, girls who plays youth sports they perform better academically. Their confidence skyrockets,” she said. “It’s definitely a catalyst. They knwo there’s potential out there, whether it’s scholarships, whether it’s being able to have access or connections,” she said.



Source link

Continue Reading

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco Sheriff discusses security at houses of worship, pickpocket arrests

Published

on

San Francisco Sheriff discusses security at houses of worship, pickpocket arrests


San Francisco Sheriff Paul Miyamoto talks to CBS News Bay Area reporter Reed Cowan bout increased security at houses of worship in the wake of a deadly shooting at a mosque in San Diego, along with the recent arrests of pickpocketing suspects in San Francisco’s Chinatown.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending