San Francisco, CA
Ceasefire protest turns violent in South San Francisco
Gaza ceasefire protest turns violent in South San Francisco
A South San Francisco man is facing criminal charges after he was caught on camera in a profanity-laced rant, allegedly assaulting and spitting on demonstrators during a Gaza ceasefire rally on Wednesday.
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – A South San Francisco man is facing criminal charges after he was caught on camera in a profanity-laced rant, allegedly assaulting and spitting on demonstrators during a Gaza ceasefire rally on Wednesday.
Police arrested the 57-year-old South San Francisco resident, who was later identified from the video as Kent Keenan, by a family member.
“He personally elbowed me in the face,” said a woman involved in the rally, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation.
Keenan can be seen in the cell phone video approaching the group, which is associated with Change South San Francisco, at around 6 p.m. The victim said they hold rallies there every Wednesday on El Camino Real and Chestnut Avenue, and that Keenan had been present at their prior week’s demonstration, shouting insults.
Wednesday’s rally coincided with celebrations marking the end of Ramadan.
“I should have been with my family, but I was so disturbed about the genocide that is unfolding, it’s been unfolding for the past six months, that I took time out of my day,” said the victim.
The victim said the protest was peaceful before Keenan crossed the street.
“I tell him don’t touch me, because he’s making contact with me with his cane, and he’s also threatening me…you need to get out of my city, as if I didn’t live here my whole life,” said the victim. “It just felt very racist to me…and things started to escalate.”
After being filmed spitting on one of the demonstrators, the victim said he began pushing others in the group. Soon after, police arrested Keenan.
In a statement posted to social media, Rep. Kevin Mullin condemned the violence and “hate speech”.
“I feel like the root cause is congressional elected officials not calling for a ceasefire,” said the victim. “If he did it, then people wouldn’t feel so emboldened to do things like this.”
According to San Mateo County Court records, Keenan pleaded not guilty on Friday to three counts of criminal threats with an enhancement as a hate crime and two counts of battery. Keenan is next due in San Mateo Superior Court on April 25.
San Francisco, CA
Nine runs? NINE runs! White Sox down Giants with one huge inning
Sam Antonacci and Munetaka Murakami were hit by Trevor McDonald pitches and Colson Montgomery ended an 0-for-14 funk with a 3-foot
San Francisco, CA
20 women sue SF sheriff after alleged mass strip search ‘for training’
Numerous women who were detained in the San Francisco County Jail have accused the department of violating their rights after being subjected to a mass strip search that prosecutors said were used “for training” purposes.
Nearly 20 women have accused the San Francisco sheriff’s office of forcing them to strip naked in the county jail on May 22, 2025, and times before and after that date, while male deputies watched and cracked jokes.
The federal class action lawsuit was filed Friday in the United States District Court for Northern District of California. The suit was filed against the city and county of San Francisco, the SF County Sheriff’s Department, SF County Sheriff and several members of the department, per the complaint obtained by The Post.
The women alleged that while they were detained in the county jail, they were subjected to strip searches in front of male deputies who allegedly taunted and filmed them. Prosecutors claimed that this was not by accident and “it was deliberate,” per the complaint.
The plaintiffs include women who were strip-searched before May 22, women who were strip-searched during the mass operation on May 22, and women who were subjected to “suspicionless post-movement strip searches in the months that followed,” the complaint read.
The women claimed they were not only forced to strip naked in front of other women but that this also allegedly occurred while deputies wore body-worn cameras and recorded the searches.
“Multiple plaintiffs heard Sergeant Ibarra, the supervising officer, explicitly instruct Deputy Dockery not to deactivate her body-worn camera during the searches,” per the complaint.
“When Dockery asked whether she should turn her camera off, Ibarra said no. Ibarra later told detainees the footage might be ‘used for training purposes.’”
The complaint goes on to allege that Ibarra “told women the footage was similar to what they ‘see on YouTube’ and was ‘just like ‘Cops’” the TV show.
The San Francisco Sheriff’s Office (SFSO) states that strip searches must be conducted outside the view of anyone not involved and that no male staff are present when women are searched.
The suit also claimed that when various women either complained or filed grievances about the strip searches they were allegedly retaliated against.
“After plaintiffs LaSonya Wells and Alexcis Herrera organized other women to file tort claims, both were placed in segregation within a week,” the complaint read.
“Sergeant Ibarra directly threatened continued strip searches in November 2025 unless women ceased what he called ‘disrespecting deputies.’”
The suit was filed by attorney’s: Elizabeth Bertolino, Molly Ryan, Anthony Label, and Michael Christian.
Speaking to Mission Local in November, one of the women allegedly subjected to the strip searches talked about the trauma she still feels from it.
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!
“I’m still having nightmares about it,” one of the women told the outlet.
In November, the SFSO issued a statement that “appropriate personnel action was taken” following the numerous allegations.
“The conduct described is deeply concerning and does not reflect the policies, procedures, or professional standards we require of our staff,” the department told KTVU.
“We want to acknowledge the women who came forward. Every complaint raised within our facilities is taken seriously, and we remain committed to ensuring that all individuals in our care are treated with dignity, respect, and in full accordance with our policies and procedures.”
The women are seeking “compensatory damages for all constitutional and statutory violations” from things such as alleged emotional distress, trauma, physical injuries, loss of work assignments, etc, per the complaint.
The Post reached out to the San Francisco County Sheriff’s Office for further comment.
San Francisco, CA
Headlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco
Streetsblog has migrated to a new comment system. New commenters can register directly in the comments section of any article. Returning commenters: your previous comments and display name have been preserved, but you’ll need to reclaim your account by clicking “Forgot your password?” on the sign-in form, entering your email, and following the verification link to set a new password — this is required because passwords could not be carried over during the migration. For questions, contact tips@streetsblog.org.
-
New York1 hour agoHow Stars From ‘The Morning Show’ and ‘The League’ Keep Their Love Alive
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoLos Angeles man charged in Southern California catalytic converter theft spree
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoRain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoNine runs? NINE runs! White Sox down Giants with one huge inning
-
Dallas, TX2 hours ago11 Dallas neighbors declared best places to live and more top stories
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoDolphins 90 in 90: Tight end Greg Dulcich looking to build in 2026
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoRed Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoRookie LB Red Murdock is anything but Irrelevant and gives the Broncos a tackling and fumble forcing machine