Connect with us

New Mexico

Two women shot dead, 5-year-old girl wounded, baby missing in New Mexico slaughter

Published

on

Two women shot dead, 5-year-old girl wounded, baby missing in New Mexico slaughter


Police are searching for a missing 10-month-old girl believed to have been kidnapped by the same person who fatally shot two women and critically wounded a 5-year-old girl in Clovis, New Mexico.

An Amber Alert was issued for the baby, Eleia Maria Torres, on Friday as cops sought the killer of Samantha Cisneros and Taryn Allen, both age 23 and from Texico, N.M.

Clovis Police Department

Amber Alert for Eleia Maria Torres. (Clovis Police Department)

A 911 call at about 4:30 p.m. Friday alerted police to the presence of the two bodies in Ned Houk Park, about five miles north of the 38,000-population city of Clovis. They found the two women dead of gunshot wounds and a 5-year-old child covered in blood, with a gunshot wound to the head. All of them were sprawled on the ground near a minivan. The girl was rushed to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas, about 100 miles southeast.

Advertisement

Police also discovered an infant car seat inside the van, along with an infant stroller and a small baby bottle at the scene.

“Through interviews with family members, investigators learned Samantha Cisneros was the mother to the young female child found at the scene and was also the mother to a 10-month-old child, Eleia Maria Torres,” police said in a statement. “Investigators believe Eleia Maria Torres has been abducted by the perpetrator of this crime and is in immediate danger.”

Police described Eleia as 28 inches tall and weighing 23 pounds, with brown eyes and hair.

“There is currently no suspect in this incident,” New Mexico State Police said. “However, it is suspected the suspect was in a possible maroon Honda car, unknown model.”

With News Wire Services

Advertisement



Source link

New Mexico

Guards who rape inmates at New Mexico women’s prison get lenient sentences, records show

Published

on

Guards who rape inmates at New Mexico women’s prison get lenient sentences, records show


Two years of probation for groping, three years of probation for rape.

That appears to be the standard punishment for prison guards who sexually assault inmates at the state women’s prison in Cibola County.

New Mexico law, like those of most states, recognizes prisoners are legally incapable of consenting to sex with prison staff and calls for more severe penalties for offenders who rape someone over whom they have authority. But court records reveal guards who raped women under their supervision at Western New Mexico Correctional Facility near Grants in recent years received plea deals that didn’t require them to serve any jail time or register as sex offenders.

Advertisement

Probation, clean records







Elijah Williams (copy)

Elijah Williams

Advertisement




DA explanations







Women at Western New Mexico Correctional Facility

Female inmates at Western New Mexico Correctional Facility near Grants.

Advertisement






Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Mexico

First responders exposed to fentanyl in deadly New Mexico incident, officials say

Published

on

First responders exposed to fentanyl in deadly New Mexico incident, officials say


First responders were exposed to fentanyl and sickened after arriving at a rural New Mexico home earlier this week to investigate a possible overdose that left three people dead, officials said Friday.

They found four people unconscious at the home in Mountainair, east of Albuquerque, and two of them were declared dead at the scene, officials said.

A third died shortly after arriving at the University of New Mexico Hospital, officials said Friday. The fourth survived.

Both the survivor and one of the deceased had been administered the overdose medication Narcan.

More than a dozen first responders were quarantined after exposure to an unknown substance, with some reporting nausea and dizziness, officials said.

“Preliminary findings indicate this incident is tied to the exposure to a powdered opioid substance within the home, and on-scene DEA laboratory analysis has confirmed the presence of fentanyl, methamphetamine and para-fluorofentanyl, also called P4 fentanyl. It’s a more illicit form or version of fentanyl,” New Mexico State Police Chief Matt Broom told reporters Friday.

Advertisement

The fentanyl was in powder form, police said.

In total, 25 people were exposed to the drugs, including the three who died, officials said. Two people, one of them a first responder, remained in the hospital Friday, authorities said.

Micah Rascon, 51, and Georgia Rascon, 49, were among those who died.

One of the victims did not show up for work, prompting the employer to send a co-worker to the house in Mountainair on Wednesday, officials said. That colleague then called authorities after discovering the possible overdose.

“These men and women responded to a dangerous situation while working to protect lives and secure the scene,” Broom said. “We especially recognize the first responders who became sick while carrying out their duties.”

Advertisement

The first responders to arrive were not wearing any hazmat protection, but Torrance County Fire Chief Gary Smith said there were no initial reasons to believe there could be dangerous exposure.

While authorities won’t “armchair quarterback” Wednesday’s actions, Smith said his team will analyze the response.

“I mean, we’re only as good as our last call, right?” Smith said. “There’ll be multiple debriefings that we’re going to be doing over the next week or two to find out where our strengths were and where our weaknesses were.”

The investigation is continuing, but there was no immediate sign that the drugs were manufactured at this home, officials said.

Five dogs from the home were also placed in quarantine at Mountainair Animal Control.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

New Mexico

5 dogs quarantined after Mountainair exposure, officals to release new info Friday

Published

on

5 dogs quarantined after Mountainair exposure, officals to release new info Friday


5 dogs quarantined after Mountainair exposure, officals to release new info Friday

MOUNTAINAIR, N.M. – Investigators say they could have answers within the next 24 hours about a mysterious substance that killed three people inside a Mountainair home and sickened more than two dozen others.

Officials are expected to provide an update Friday on what exactly caused the deadly incident, which has raised serious questions about exposure risks for both humans and animals.

Growing Impact: From victims to first responders

The incident began Wednesday when four people were found unresponsive at a home after coming into contact with an unknown substance. Two were declared dead on scene, and the other two were given Narcan, resuscitated and taken to UNM Hospital. One of them died after arriving at the ER. Initially reported as an overdose call, the situation quickly escalated.

Advertisement

More than 25 people — including at least 18 first responders — were exposed and required quarantine at UNM Hospital. Most have since been released, but two individuals remain under observation as of Wednesday night.

Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto said the town’s EMS chief, Josh Lewis, may have been among the most heavily exposed. 

“He’s one of the first that went into the residence,” Nieto said. “That’s what we’re thinking — he was the one that got the most of it.”

Lewis was released from UNM Hospital Thursday afternoon and is reported to be doing well according to the Town of Mountainair Facebook page.

Animal quarantine underway

The effects of the mysterious substance have extended beyond humans.

Advertisement

Four dogs that were inside the home are now in quarantine at Mountainair Animal Control, while crews continue searching for a fifth dog.

Staff members are taking significant precautions while caring for the animals.

“We’re wearing all of our PPE just to touch them,” said Jennifer Carter with Mountainair Animal Control. “Right now there are no symptoms. We’re just going to keep an eye on them for the next 10 days.”

So far, all the dogs appear healthy and symptom-free, but officials say they will continue monitoring them closely. If cleared by a veterinarian, the dogs may eventually be put up for adoption unless claimed by family members.

Hospital and community response

At UNM Hospital, dozens of potentially exposed individuals were quarantined as a precaution. While most have now been released, officials say the response is ongoing, with continued monitoring for anyone who may have come into contact with the substance.

Advertisement

The incident has caused fear and uncertainty among those affected — including the quarantined animals.

“They’re grieving, they’re very scared,” Carter said. “They don’t know who I am or the volunteers, so they’re nervous and apprehensive. But we’ll win them over.”

Investigation expands with federal involvement

The case is now being led by New Mexico State Police, with assistance from multiple agencies including Albuquerque Fire Rescue.

FBI agents were seen at the home Wednesday, and officials confirmed that DEA agents conducted air quality testing in and around the property. Authorities have reassured nearby residents that the air is safe.

Key questions remain

With a news conference scheduled for Friday, investigators are expected to provide more clarity. Major questions still remain, including:

Advertisement
  • What was the substance that caused the deaths?
  • How were 18 first responders exposed?
  • Were proper safety protocols followed at the scene?
  • What is the current condition of the two remaining patients at UNM Hospital?

Hospital officials are also expected to address their quarantine procedures and safety protocols during the briefing.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending